Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I have Holley/Cutler system on a 509 complete unit in the Marlin. And I have the Holley intake setup with the Haltech system on the 540's in the Scorpion. I have no issues with the intake system for the money, and neither did my engine guys. They flow really well. I raised the ports for more velocity and matched that up, but other than a little smoothing and tweaking otherwise, seem to be really nice design. Rail system and the 2000 cfm body are also well done.
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

2. Collapse Details

Wow, thanks for all the fantastic input guys. It is amazing to see several people with different but completely reasonable ways to the same solution. So let's see if I can sum this up a little bit.

1. My manifold is crap and everything is easier with a swap, and a less expensive alternative would be a 500-525 HP Merc (used).

2. My injectors and ECU are usable, a tune would be needed and I will need to upgrade to at least cool fuel or an aftermarket fuel pump setup to keep it happy.

3.A cam upgrade to a roller setup would be good, ideally from Bob Madara

4. I can get most of the way to where I want to be with a .060" overbore (or is it .100" ?) and doing a 540 kit is not necessary or all that desirable.

5. I am looking for about 9 to 1 compression.

Anything else I'm missing? Suggestions?

Thanks again for all the responses, I want to keep this or another thread going as I do this build, seems like it should be a cool project.

3. Collapse Details

I wouldn't go .100 over- you give away that one more rebore.

And when you buy pistons, rods, rings and bearings, you're a very tiny sum away from getting a whole kit that includes a crankshaft. That 540 is going to give you fantastic midrange punch with little drawback. And if you lay off the holeshots and avoid re-entry mistakes, your drives aren't going to be any worse for the wear. Look at the SCAT kits.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I wouldn't go .100 over- you give away that one more rebore.

And when you buy pistons, rods, rings and bearings, you're a very tiny sum away from getting a whole kit that includes a crankshaft. That 540 is going to give you fantastic midrange punch with little drawback. And if you lay off the holeshots and avoid re-entry mistakes, your drives aren't going to be any worse for the wear. Look at the SCAT kits.
    That's exactly where I was. I needed pistons, rings, and bearings which would have probably cost me around $600 plus rod bolts, resizing etc. Instead I bought a stroker rotating assembly for around $1700 with everything and I sold my rods and crank for $700. I ended up with all new parts, internally balanced and more CI for around $300 bucks. Seemed like a no brainer for me.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    Wow, thanks for all the fantastic input guys. It is amazing to see several people with different but completely reasonable ways to the same solution. So let's see if I can sum this up a little bit.

1. My manifold is crap and everything is easier with a swap, and a less expensive alternative would be a 500-525 HP Merc (used).

2. My injectors and ECU are usable, a tune would be needed and I will need to upgrade to at least cool fuel or an aftermarket fuel pump setup to keep it happy.

3.A cam upgrade to a roller setup would be good, ideally from Bob Madara

4. I can get most of the way to where I want to be with a .060" overbore (or is it .100" ?) and doing a 540 kit is not necessary or all that desirable.

5. I am looking for about 9 to 1 compression.

Anything else I'm missing? Suggestions?

Thanks again for all the responses, I want to keep this or another thread going as I do this build, seems like it should be a cool project.

1) correct

2)injectors will probably be too small, you will likely need 50# to 55#, yours are 38# to 42#

3)correct

4)540 kit is not necessary, but every bit helps. Not sure about amount of bore for a 540

5)that compression is good for 89, more compression will make more power and better sound but eventually require higher octane.

6. Collapse Details

Tyler is the go to man . got my 502ci to 540ci with a 525 intake, recam , 50# injectors all in all we got a 540 that is 656hp/647tq@5100
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Spark Plugs Boat 010.jpg   Spark Plugs Boat 011.jpg   Spark Plugs Boat 012.jpg  

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Tony M View Post
    Tyler is the go to man . got my 502ci to 540ci with a 525 intake, recam , 50# injectors all in all we got a 540 that is 656hp/647tq@5100

And with that kind of power I would be spitting Bravo parts all over the Bay

I would love to work with Tyler, but the cost of shipping the motors up for dyno time is prohibitive. Fortunately I have great resources here also like Dave (mdg) so I think as soon as I can get my plan together I should be able to get what I want without busting my budget (too far)

8. Collapse Details

Ted- are your drives XR's?

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Ted- are your drives XR's?

No, standard Bravos.

10. Collapse Details

I would love to work with Tyler, but the cost of shipping the motors up for dyno time is prohibitive. Fortunately I have great resources here also like Dave (mdg) so I think as soon as I can get my plan together I should be able to get what I want without busting my budget (too far)
    Hey Ted Like Geronimo said JC Performance did a great job with my 454 MAg & they saved the tune. Mine made 515hp with the stock injectors & intake. Jeff was very reasonable so you might want to give him a call.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails formeng.jpg  

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Bill N View Post
    Hey Ted Like Geronimo said JC Performance did a great job with my 454 MAg & they saved the tune. Mine made 515hp with the stock injectors & intake. Jeff was very reasonable so you might want to give him a call.
    Thanks for the heads up Bill I'll keep it in mind.

12. Collapse Details

Bill N Looks like you got a Formula maybe a 271 how you doing MPH. pm me .

13. Collapse Details

If you paying someone to do the build, I've heard great things about Dave as well. He also supplied me with some parts I needed at more than reasonable prices.....per Offshoredrillin's recomendations. Take it to him and let him determine what's needed, he's got to warranty the thing anyway!!!

14. Collapse Details

Registered
    Keep it simple: heads and cam plus whatever intake mods might be worthy (assuming block/rotating assly are OK). If you get a good deal on the AS&M/500/525 intakes...well they sure are pretty. FWIW, a (lightly modded) 525SC/TRS spinning 28p B1s can see 80mph (Jay's boat, in Sweden now). I'd expect similar out of a 525EFI "clone".

Random brain fart....those 502MPI intake/fuel setups might be nice for someone who was thinking about turning a couple 454MAGs into 496s and going EFI...

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by sledge View Post
    Keep it simple: heads and cam plus whatever intake mods might be worthy (assuming block/rotating assly are OK). If you get a good deal on the AS&M/500/525 intakes...well they sure are pretty. FWIW, a (lightly modded) 525SC/TRS spinning 28p B1s can see 80mph (Jay's boat, in Sweden now). I'd expect similar out of a 525EFI "clone".

Random brain fart....those 502MPI intake/fuel setups might be nice for someone who was thinking about turning a couple 454MAGs into 496s and going EFI...
    My shortblocks are in need of rebuild, this is the reason for this exercise. I am not dead set on the number or the speed, but if I'm doing it and can get a decent increase for a relatively low investment then I will. And I will have some parts to sell to recoup my investment when it's over.

16. Collapse Details

Here you go, Ted - two Lingenfelter 502/540 EFI/Ignition kits:
    http://www.seriousoffshore.com/class...age=out&id=421

17. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by C_Spray View Post
    Here you go, Ted - two Lingenfelter 502/540 EFI/Ignition kits:
    http://www.seriousoffshore.com/class...age=out&id=421

Okay, now I'm confused, those look like standard 502 MPI manifolds like I have with a cool fuel pump, and they made 540 hp with it? So then I would have to assume that they were massaged as discussed earlier in the thread. I will admit that I like the look of the HP500/525 manifolds a lot better so that would certainly be my first choice, just curious that Lingenfelter would use those manifolds.

18. Collapse Details

I'm willing to bet those are the top ends off a completely different motor built by Lingenfelter...they just happen to use the 502mag intake. Weren't those made back when that was the best intake Merc made (pre 500EFI's)? 540hp is possible with that intake, but that's probably maxed out with cam and other goodies. I bet someone removed them for carb's or 500 intakes to get more power.

19. Collapse Details

Probably extrude honed and bigger t-body?????

How about the modification Crocket does and puts a t-body on top. It's on a 500 intake but same principal??? http://www.youtube.com/user/crockett.../4/kT8FmzMo2Uw

20. Collapse Details

Call the source - http://www.lingenfelter.com/ (260) 724-2552 They'll know.