Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
  1. Collapse Details

This is a few pictures of our current project.

The first image you see is the line drawing:

The wooden form:

The Two-Strake Molds:
    1, Narrow

2, Widened

Pictures of the boat complete/running:

Current Drive-System Projects:
    Boat in this photo is 66'; 128,000lbs; twin 1000 cats and CAL500 drives.

.......More shots to come........

2. Collapse Details
    44' Dumbo
    Looking in my archive I have found this only photo that withdraws 44' Dumbo to his presentation to the Fiera della Nautica di Genova(Genua Boat Show) I believe in 1975.
    The poster says -Unpublished M & S 44'-.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails M&S44'Genova.jpg  

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Black Tornado View Post
    Looking in my archive I have found this only photo that withdraws 44' Dumbo to his presentation to the Fiera della Nautica di Genova(Genua Boat Show) I believe in 1975.
    The poster says -Unpublished M & S 44'-.
    yes marco this is the boat that raced against doc. carlo bonomi in the summer before this show . the red daffy duck msv 40 was built later. the 40 was the original order of mr bruno mentasti of aqua mineriale san pellegrino milano . enrico wanted the newest and fastest boat . he took over the project and add more overdrive ratio and turbos and better props by rolla.Iam trying to find fotos of daffy duck project,maybe they are in europe. this boat was by far the fastest . mr carimati was to challenge the uim speed record , but was then in divorce and canceled.OTAM SPA. ran the sea trials near Porto fino . I will try to get copies. The M&S was miller and saccenti 72 until 76 then we added V when jon varese bought out mr visconsi. Mr visconsi requested his name only on the race boats. ciao sonny BTW thats magnum marines booth

4. Collapse Details

This is MSV Celebrity 38 Brochure. This boat also used the MSV 38 hull as the same as Cobra.

5. Collapse Details

Sonny,are the same type of boats of thats last two of the post #100?
    What means 'CAL500'?

6. Collapse Details

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by CAL500 View Post
    the normal bpm v 12 is 620 on low octane fuel ,square wet exhaust.also small webber carbs / std cams.. 4500 rpm carimati s v 12 engines were hand built. I recall his best pair of engines were turbo charged. 4500 rpm only,any more they explode. seatec 10 liter engines are at 1100 hp burning diesel fuel /4400 rpm/ and they are six cylinder? turbo
    1200HP @ 4500 rpm , at that low rpm means a bit over 1400ftlbs
    all via a IIISSM...ouch
    or reduced by 20% using 1.2 overdrive
    = 1150ish ftlbs
    That would shift a heavy boat...

7. Collapse Details

Sonny,are the same type of boats of thats last two of the post #100?
    What means 'CAL500'?
    The answer is 'yes' and we now include larger picture of one of the two boats on post #100. MSV '38, yellow production model came from the mold at MSV the same as Cobra.

At the factory in hollywood i built around 14 like this- non race. In 1977 I started MSV Celebrity '38 style project. I built about 14 copies also with that type deck. I also built around four 40 foot MSV hulls for custom projects. These were done starting in '73 and ending in '84. As you can see, I built MSV '38 boats from my mold long before the Cobra '38R/MSV project and long after they were gone.

I get mad when someone says Mr. Simon blocked my molds. Mr. Simon was nowhere near my business and never allowed in my office or shop. By the way, CAL500 is my operating company in France and Dominican Republic.

-Sonny Miller
    Last edited by CAL500; 12-27-2009 at 01:53 PM.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Powerabout View Post
    1200HP @ 4500 rpm , at that low rpm means a bit over 1400ftlbs
    all via a IIISSM...ouch
    or reduced by 20% using 1.2 overdrive
    = 1150ish ftlbs
    That would shift a heavy boat...

Thanks for the reply.

This setup was ran in(1975)my MSV '40 weighing 11,000lbs, light on fuel using the 1.2 overdrive as you stated. The #3 SSM were 1:1 ratio with heavy duty upper-vertical shafts made in Italy. My rolla 4 blade props (I recall) were 26 pitch, 4% to 5% slip. At prop speed max around 5,000RPM at 28lbs boost. The engines were turbocharged by OTAM SPA. Water intercooled. Around 1,200hp each and around 1,400ft/lb torque. Transmissions were Crashbox offshore type.

Please calculate the speeds for me since I can't get the speed charts until I go to Europe.

-Sonny Miller

9. Collapse Details

Registered
    Spinning a 26p to 5000 rpm with 5% slip = 106mph
    Last edited by Powerabout; 12-28-2009 at 07:03 AM.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Powerabout View Post
    Spinning a 26p to 5000 rpm with 5% slip = 106mph
    Thanks for the post, I will post drawings of that boat with the engines we described, and some photos later. We are also including other MSV projects. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	drawing millennium.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	75.7 KB 
ID:	51520

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	drawing millennium 001.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	51521

Name:	drawing millennium 002.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	114.8 KB 
ID:	51522

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by cal500 View Post
    thanks for the post, i will post drawings of that boat with the engines we described, and some photos later. We are also including other msv projects. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	drawing millennium.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	75.7 KB 
ID:	51520

Name:	drawing millennium 001.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	51521

Name:	drawing millennium 002.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	114.8 KB 
ID:	51522

Name:	drawing millennium 003.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	62.1 KB 
ID:	51523

12. Collapse Details

Hi Sonny,
    here a pic of you with the Popeye 36' Cig duelling with Magoon during the Catalina Challenge of 1972.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails scan00707.jpg  

13. Collapse Details

Hi Sonny,
    here a pic of you with the Popeye 36' Cig duelling with Magoon during the Catalina Challenge of 1972.
    marco
    thanks for the foto , where do you get these? this is the race where magoon followed us all the way around the coarse and also passing ship rock check point and on to the finish near queen elizabeth cruise liner. we finish first and won, only to find out that the ship rock check point said they did not see our race number , but they did see magoons boat and that was him only by the fact that carls helo was over his boat. shore line fog and haze pollution, plus politics dominic sr. said to me later. magoon wins we were both a quarter mile away from that check point. we were running injection and new heads and cams, I think we were two miles per hour faster . we only finished slightly ahead, it was a race right to the end. ciao ancora sonny miller we also raced at marina del rey and long beach and a few others out there.

14. Collapse Details

Gents,
    I just want to say what a great read this thread has been thus far!

15. Collapse Details

Name:	former projects at cigarette.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	118.3 KB 
ID:	53313

Name:	former projects at cigarette 2.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	125.6 KB 
ID:	53314

Does anybody remember these guys that are listed? Bob Saccenti and I worked on most of these projects.

-Sonny Ciao ancora

16. Collapse Details
    The List
    Ciao Sonny,
    almost all they are recognizable, but unfortunately the list doesn't say the year and what type of boat they bought.

17. Collapse Details

Ciao Sonny,
    almost all they are recognizable, but unfortunately the list doesn't say the year and what type of boat they bought.
    bob and I will try to match as many as we can . ciao marco,

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by CAL500 View Post
    Does anybody remember these guys that are listed? Bob Saccenti and I worked on most of these projects.

-Sonny Ciao ancora
    Wow, that's an awesome list!!!

19. Collapse Details

OFF is next month and I have tried, in vein, to get Jack Stutteville there for many years. Hope to see you there.

Quote Originally Posted by seeroy View Post
    Thanks Rich - I posted this pic because I had not met Sonny Miller before and, unfortunately, I did not meet him at OFF. However, as I looked through photos taken by Iris at the sign in table, this one baffled me until today. The thrid photo posted by Charlie in Post #74 identified Sonny. Kinda looks like what Mr. Sun Glasses would have looked like back in the day. Soooooo......My question is...Is this Sonny Miller at OFF? I introduced myself to many folks at OFF that I had not previously met and was often pleasantly suprised when they responded with their name. If it is Sonny, I offer my apology for not introducing myself to him. I was kinda busy. If it's not Sonny, somebody please help me with a name. - Steve Sirois