Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
    In the Sonny Miller three boat pic, #33 is Sam Sarra and Merrick Lewis, and #23 Is Billy Wishnick, Art Koopmans and me. My favorite Sonny MIller race story is when he forgot to show up for the race in WPB/Lucaya with Jim Breuil. Must have been some of that aqua hell he was talking about.........
    did not happen, I ran with jim breuil in a single engine magnum /donzi . the no show ,I think was jake he was Ill . the aqua hell was tony roma ,s sonny miller - by the way the holocaust photo is in HORA home page

2. Collapse Details

#23 Is Billy Wishnick, Art Koopmans and me. ..
    Became that Maritime the first Boss'O Nova in 1968?
    I know of a Boss O'Nova in 1969 Bertram 32' former a Mona Lou of 1968 of Odell Lewis.

3. Collapse Details
    Boss O Nova clarity
    1968 - Wishnick raced the 32ft Maritime as Big Broad Jumper early in the season, then results indicate had entered the last few races in 68 as Boss O Nova.Was the boat repainted with revised graphics?

1969 - Bahamas 500.Both 31ft Bertrams Mona Lou IV and Boss O Nova raced together,so are you having a senior moment here Marco? and yes I did refer to them as 31ft not 32ft.

One day we may get back to MSV via the history of offshore.

4. Collapse Details

I drove the 31' Bertram, Boss O' Nova, in the 1969 Bahamas 500. Crew was Bobby Moore and Capt. Moxie the navigator. I jumped out in Nassau, the halfway point with neck problems from the previous Miami-Nassau race. That was my last Class 1 race. Bobby and Moxie finished the race in the top 5, I think. That boat was the very first set of #3 Speedmasters.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by FLYING FISH View Post
    1969 - Bahamas 500.Both 31ft Bertrams Mona Lou IV and Boss O Nova raced together,so are you having a senior moment here Marco? and yes I did refer to them as 31ft not 32ft.

Graham here you want to reopen the Mona Lou dilemma!
    I have spent several posts about this without answers.
    I believe that they have existed at least three Bertram 31' (a lot of sources quote 32') that they brought the name Mona Lou.
    1967 a white-yellow #90 maybe former Sternwinder. (see the footage Run Sunward for details).
    1968 a red version #70 that it became the Boss O'Nova (I?).
    1968 the former three engines Ronda Lee of Bakos. (maybe the red one above?)
    1969 another white-yellow Mona Lou IV very similar to the 1967 Sternwinder-Mona Lou.
    Maybe we must open a new thread....
    Last edited by Black Tornado; 12-08-2009 at 12:34 PM.

6. Collapse Details

For all you poor Yankee and foreign souls, we had a few beers with Odell (Mona Lou), John Bakos (Rhonda Lee) Steve Sirois, brother of Bill (Sternwinder) and about 40 others a couple of weeks ago in Jupiter, Fl. If you have a question for Odell, I have his email address (actually Mona Lou's) and would be glad to forward.

7. Collapse Details

For all you poor Yankee and foreign souls, we had a few beers with Odell (Mona Lou), John Bakos (Rhonda Lee) Steve Sirois, brother of Bill (Sternwinder) and about 40 others a couple of weeks ago in Jupiter, Fl. If you have a question for Odell, I have his email address (actually Mona Lou's) and would be glad to forward.
    You have had a very cool meet among you veterans where if my poor soul had been present would have submerged you of questions that of sure you would have taken me and thrown in water.
    I have a mountain of questions for Mr. Odell Lewis....
    Then I have created a new thread. ---->

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by FLYING FISH View Post
    1968 - Wishnick raced the 32ft Maritime as Big Broad Jumper early in the season, then results indicate had entered the last few races in 68 as Boss O Nova.Was the boat repainted with revised graphics?

For those who want to know: The mama maritime was built at Alliance Machine Co. in Alliance, OH.

The hull & deck was constructed of aluminum welded panels and T-bar. The trailer was bought in Scranton, PA. IT was rigged at Maritime Boats in Hialeah, FL. The boat had Ford engines. Dave Starret and Nick Finnerty and others, myself included. BTW, I worked under Dave Starret for one year before going to Thunderbird.

Later, Merrick Lewis added a Lamborghini Miura (Lime, Salad Green) at the rear of the trailer with ramps.

-SM

9. Collapse Details

10. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seeroy View Post
    I couldn't agree with you more...... I think?
    Allergic to Nonsense

11. Collapse Details

Thanks Rich - I posted this pic because I had not met Sonny Miller before and, unfortunately, I did not meet him at OFF. However, as I looked through photos taken by Iris at the sign in table, this one baffled me until today. The thrid photo posted by Charlie in Post #74 identified Sonny. Kinda looks like what Mr. Sun Glasses would have looked like back in the day. Soooooo......My question is...Is this Sonny Miller at OFF? I introduced myself to many folks at OFF that I had not previously met and was often pleasantly suprised when they responded with their name. If it is Sonny, I offer my apology for not introducing myself to him. I was kinda busy. If it's not Sonny, somebody please help me with a name. - Steve Sirois

12. Collapse Details

Thanks Rich - I posted this pic because I had not met Sonny Miller before and, unfortunately, I did not meet him at OFF. However, as I looked through photos taken by Iris at the sign in table, this one baffled me until today. The thrid photo posted by Charlie in Post #74 identified Sonny. Kinda looks like what Mr. Sun Glasses would have looked like back in the day. Soooooo......My question is...Is this Sonny Miller at OFF? I introduced myself to many folks at OFF that I had not previously met and was often pleasantly suprised when they responded with their name. If it is Sonny, I offer my apology for not introducing myself to him. I was kinda busy. If it's not Sonny, somebody please help me with a name. - Steve Sirois
    yes thats me , also I Knew Bill Sirois from working on projects I have some photos with him in. I will send them to you. when I was at OFF I spoke with Gene Lantham and some others. Great job in setting that OFF up. Where was Saccenti ? ....... My son,s are asking me now, hey you tell us you did something in offshore racing What ? normally I stay quiet. sonny miller thanks See you next time

13. Collapse Details
    Sonny Miller Photo at OFF2009
    Sonny - I gotta tell you, I am amazed that my powers of deductive reasoning actually figured this one out. That photo has baffled me up until now. Since Iris took the photo, I asked her if she remembered who it was. She could only remember that you did not put down an e-mail address when you signed in, but that you put down an address. Soooo...Right now I am looking at the sign in sheet and I see that you put down St Augustine. Does that mean you live only 35 miles from me here in Atlantic Beach? Shortly before OFF, Sammy James called me and asked if Jack Stutteville was coming. I said I didn't know. Sammy replied that Jack had a shop at the St Augustine airport. I immediately drove down there and knocked on the door to no avail. I left my phone number with the landlord, still to no avail. I will send you a PM with my personal e-mail address so you can send photo of Bill that you referenced....OR I could just run down to St Augustine some day. Furthermore, I think, you sent an e-mail to the OFF2009 address. I will go back and check that. By the way, the following link will take you to followup photos from OFF. Best Regards - Steve Sirois

http://forums.screamandfly.com/forum...=183058&page=7
    Last edited by seeroy; 12-11-2009 at 08:30 PM.

14. Collapse Details

Sonny - I gotta tell you, I am amazed that my powers of deductive reasoning actually figured this one out. That photo has baffled me up until now. Since Iris took the photo, I asked her if she remembered who it was. She could only remember that you did not put down an e-mail address when you signed in, but that you put down an address. Soooo...Right now I am looking at the sign in sheet and I see that you put down St Augustine. Does that mean you live only 35 miles from me here in Atlantic Beach? Shortly before OFF, Sammy James called me and asked if Jack Stutteville was coming. I said I didn't know. Sammy replied that Jack had a shop at the St Augustine airport. I immediately drove down there and knocked on the door to no avail. I left my phone number with the landlord, still to no avail. I will send you a PM with my personal e-mail address so you can send photo of Bill that you referenced....OR I could just run down to St Augustine some day. Furthermore, I think, you sent an e-mail to the OFF2009 address. I will go back and check that. By the way, the following link will take you to followup photos from OFF. Best Regards - Steve Sirois

http://forums.screamandfly.com/forum...=183058&page=7
    OK. the photo shows bill sirois ,dick clark , bob larsen , and me behind a 60 Infinity in fort lauderdale marina. sonny miller

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by CAL500 View Post
    the APBA rules only allows two engines, I dreamed of three engines .the turbo engines from flagship were 800 hp each,more punch than the 600 hp merc,s. at The first sea trial in miami this new race boat run just under 100 mph.we were excited , but the engines were a new type turbo setup they had a lot of power when they were cool . we pushed them hard,we lead the race to the first check point . you know the rest .crew dominic /tony/myself sonny
    Awesome stuff!!! My father's boat, a 30' Fino had a pair of Flagship Turbo 468's, 600 hp a piece. I don't know if they were intercooled or water injected but I do remember there being a water tank... One time my father forgot to fill up the tank and burned some pistons. They were built sometime in the mid 70's, Freeport, NY.

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo36 View Post
    Awesome stuff!!! My father's boat, a 30' Fino had a pair of Flagship Turbo 468's, 600 hp a piece. I don't know if they were intercooled or water injected but I do remember there being a water tank... One time my father forgot to fill up the tank and burned some pistons. They were built sometime in the mid 70's, Freeport, NY.
    yes , the engines we bought from flagship marine /tom fowelman/ were water cooled also. they called them 850/ 900 race engines . the air box split open sending out raw fuel.you know the rest. sonny miller thanks

17. Collapse Details

OK. the photo shows bill sirois ,dick clark , bob larsen , and me behind a 60 Infinity in fort lauderdale marina. sonny miller
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Project Boat.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	49701

Name:	Bill Sirois.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	63.9 KB 
ID:	49702
    Here are the pictures we promised.
    -Sonny

18. Collapse Details

Name:	Project Boat.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	49701

Name:	Bill Sirois.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	63.9 KB 
ID:	49702
    Here are the pictures we promised.
    -Sonny
    here is a photo of one of the turbo projects done in the 70,s. I built two of theses for mr george d,almeida ajaro in st tropez france .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cig turbo 1973  1 of 2.jpg   cig turbo 1973  2 of 2.jpg  

19. Collapse Details

here is a photo of one of the turbo projects done in the 70,s. I built two of theses for mr george d,almeida ajaro in st tropez france .
    Hi Sonny,
    the boat was a MSV 44'?

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Black Tornado View Post
    Hi Sonny,
    the boat was a MSV 44'?
    Marco, this is a 40' Cigarette in that photo. IT was custom built for Mr. Almeda and was never raced. This boat operated in St. Tropez harbour. I was trying to show the existence of turbocharged engines in the early seventies.

Mr.Carimati's 44' MSV: It was green and called "Dumbo" with a picture of an elephant on the side for his son. His engine compartment had twin BPM 850hp with BPM z-box overdrives connected to mercury #3 SSM3 with four blade 24 props. This is in the 1970's... '75 or '76. His next project was a '40 MSV; it was red and had Daffy Duck on the side with twin BPM turbo 1200hp engines with BPM z-box with overdrive and connected to Merc SSM#3 and rolla custom props.

Here's a shot of one of his engine bays:

This pair of boats is the standard MSV production boats built in the 1970's.

Last edited by CAL500; 12-24-2009 at 01:49 PM.