Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

After completing that task I started to utilize after work hours on the weekdays. The first stringer was cut out. Yes I did find more damage from the mites. At this point I didnt care to take to many pics of the distruction. I was over it and was moving on! I started to think more of the fun times to come...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kevin&John-Keshonong 003.jpg   Kevin&John-Keshonong 004.jpg   Kevin&John-Keshonong 005.jpg  

2. Collapse Details

All the voids in the wood was from the mites......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kevin&John-Keshonong 011.jpg   Kevin&John-Keshonong 012.jpg   Kevin&John-Keshonong 013.jpg  

3. Collapse Details

Now to the month of September.... The stringer was cut out and alot of grinding needed to be done to make way for the new stringer. Talk about alot of dust!! I found the grinder with the flap disk to do the job the best. I didnt take pics of making the stinger but I bonded together 1/2" thick marine plywood. To get the length and keep the strenght I staggered the joints. To bond together I used the 1300 biax that Dave suggested. Oh yea, I never said but, I did go the epoxy route. I sourced it from US Composites..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Johnson Creek 9-3-2009 001.jpg   Johnson Creek 9-3-2009 003.jpg   Johnson Creek 9-3-2009 004.jpg  

4. Collapse Details

I thought fitting in the stinger would be a breeze. Boy, was I mistaken. This took about a week using after work hours. For this stringer I only used a belt sander. I quickly wisened up after that and bought a planer. That did save alot of time. But remeber, once the wood is taken away, there is no way of adding it back.... "Measure once and cut twice.... or something like that"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Johnson Creek 9-3-2009 006.jpg   Johnson Creek 9-3-2009 007.jpg   Johnson Creek 9-3-2009 008.jpg  

5. Collapse Details

a few more.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Johnson Creek 9-3-2009 009.jpg   Johnson Creek 9-3-2009 010.jpg   Johnson Creek 9-3-2009 011.jpg  

6. Collapse Details

---- 2 Be Continued ----

I also cant forget to thank one of my best friend Larzs.... If there is anything in life he taught me is, You can do anything if you put your mind to it!! Thanks bro!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails JohnsonCreek 7-13-2008 060.jpg   Milwaukee 10-27-2007 006.jpg  
    Last edited by J-Bonz; 12-06-2009 at 04:02 AM.

7. Collapse Details

registered
    Man Bonz, I feel for you. That's an azzload of work that your doing....but think of the satisfaction when you're done. You should be proud!!!!
    Talk about "making it your own"...WOW!!!

Cheers to you!
    Craig

8. Collapse Details

WOW, a truly amazing thread - good job
    People we meet in life are either a Blessing or a Lesson

9. Collapse Details

Thanks for the kind words guys. I will start posting again on the project this weekend. I have to give a shout out to my bud ItsPeanut. He helped out tremendously a few weeks back. In fact, for my birthday present we along with Ang got the outer two stringers installed. Now thats progress!!! Now that the holiday break is over and I am back in WI, the work starts up again.....

10. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    Jack, get some of this pics posted. Somehow i deleted them all out of my phone.

11. Collapse Details

Alright Nut, pack to posting some pics... From where I left off above. The stringer was fitted and ready to be glassed in. Unfortunately I left the camera at home a few weekends and did not take any pics. Ang and I got it glassed and and I made a template for the starboard stringer. I cut the boards out and my Pops came up to help bond them together. We had a good time! He was happy to see the progress in person.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 10-10-2009 OHIO 002.jpg   10-10-2009 OHIO 015.jpg  

12. Collapse Details

With the stinger bonded together, It was time to cut out the existing one. At this time I also cut out the two bulkheads that hold the gas tank in. Once cut out, It was back to the joys of grinding...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 10-10-2009 OHIO 013.jpg   10-10-2009 OHIO 014.jpg   10-10-2009 OHIO 016.jpg  

13. Collapse Details

I finally got the grinding done and was happy to know I was closer to having the 2 out 4 stringers replaced...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 10-10-2009 OHIO 017.jpg   10-10-2009 OHIO 018.jpg   10-10-2009 OHIO 019.jpg  

14. Collapse Details

After the inside was all ground down. The next following week I spent fitting the stringer in. I was happy I broke down and purchased a planer. That definately speeded up the process. Once fitted, Ang came out to help bond the stinger in. The next day while the filler was still tacky we glassed it in..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 10-10-2009 OHIO 042.jpg   10-10-2009 OHIO 044.jpg   10-10-2009 OHIO 045.jpg  

15. Collapse Details

To keep the stinger in placed I made some braces. To keep the stinger level and the braces tight, I used wood door shims from the local Menards.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 10-10-2009 OHIO 052.jpg   10-10-2009 OHIO 054.jpg   10-10-2009 OHIO 055.jpg  

16. Collapse Details

FYI, Working with the bonding filler I used the West Systems sticks and many of the techniques presented in there books.. I found the braces to work good. It just made it interesting getting out from under the deck. I felt like Twister, Left hand on yellow......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 10-10-2009 OHIO 060.jpg   10-10-2009 OHIO 061.jpg   10-10-2009 OHIO 063.jpg  

17. Collapse Details

The next day we got back and put 3 layers of 1700 biax in. Not to many pics, didnt have time...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 10-29-09 johnson creek 058.jpg   10-29-09 johnson creek 060.jpg   10-29-09 johnson creek 072.jpg  

18. Collapse Details

After the stringer was installed it was time to replace the bulkheads that hold the gas tank in. Since the inside was prepped already, all I had to do was cut, fit, bond, and glass them in. Again, I left the camera at home for a good amount of the following work. I used the same processes as I did with the stringers. Once installed I decided to tackle the last two stringers at the same time. Winter was coming and I wanted to speed it up. I made a template of one of the stringers and used it to cut all the peices. I bonded them up using to layers of 1/2" ply. In between them, just like the transom, I used one layer of1300 biax and made sure to stagger the joints. I did all the bonding while the shop was clean still from installing the stringers & bulkheads. Once bonded, I then cut out the old and prepared for the new. That brings me to the pics below...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dec 25 2009, christmas 052.jpg   Dec 25 2009, christmas 054.jpg  

19. Collapse Details

Man what a project! Nice work J-Bonz, you are fortunate to have good friends who are willing to help!

Thanks for the thread, great reading on a O degree morning!

Kurt

20. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    What an incredible job. And an incredible amount of work. You'll never be able to part with that boat......

Love the thread.....
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!