Is the 525 reverse cooled?
    Thanks
    Steve

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Miklos View Post
    Is the 525 reverse cooled?
    Thanks
    Steve
    I don't believe so. The coolant flows from the circulating pump into the block, through the heads out the front of the cylinder head to the housing that holds the thermostat and the heat exchanger.
    Steve, Got check today, Thank you

3. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor
    Thanks It looks like the pump is driven by the back of the belt. So I was thinking reverse cool.
    Steve

4. Collapse Details

It is a reverse rotation water pump, but the coolant flows in the typical path. The water pump (circulation) spins the opposite direction from the engine.
    Eddie

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by YoungPerformance View Post
    It is a reverse rotation water pump, but the coolant flows in the typical path. The water pump (circulation) spins the opposite direction from the engine.
    Eddie
    Thanks!
    I have a set of 525 heads I can get on the cheap. I like the 525 FWC setup and was looking at using it. While the heads are fresh and cheap the parts for the FWC are $2100.00. I know the head design is just ok but I am not trying to make more than 600 hp with a 540 CI 9.5 CR. The donor engine is an Hp 500 carb and I feared I would need a serpertine setup if reverse cool was needed.
    Thanks
    Steve

6. Collapse Details

FYI, The HP525efi OEM (Edelbrock/Merc) cylinder head has a unique bolt pattern on the exh side, convential BBC exh will not bolt up.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Miklos View Post
    Thanks!
    I have a set of 525 heads I can get on the cheap. I like the 525 FWC setup and was looking at using it. While the heads are fresh and cheap the parts for the FWC are $2100.00. I know the head design is just ok but I am not trying to make more than 600 hp with a 540 CI 9.5 CR. The donor engine is an Hp 500 carb and I feared I would need a serpertine setup if reverse cool was needed.
    Thanks
    Steve
    You will need to use 525EFI headers with the heads though at cost of about 5k

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    You will need to use 525EFI headers with the heads though at cost of about 5k
    Thanks, I appreciate you pointing that out.
    I actually have a set of CMI's built to non merc specs. on materials but drilled for both the merc and regular heads.
    Steve

9. Collapse Details

The vanes on the bronze impeller in the Merc water pump are straight. So the pump can turn either direction and will still pull water from hose inlet and push it into the block. The housing is the same as old BBC (1960's) short pump but with Merc impeller.