Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Ginger View Post
    Just curious , myself and two other ex Skater boys did the repairs on the old CARLOS N CHARLIES X-TREME after Jacks fatal accident and does anybody know where the old girl is today and what she looks like ?
    I may be way off...but didn't that go to Cat can do/Baker Racing???
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cat_can_do.jpg  
    Last edited by rschap1; 11-20-2009 at 10:23 AM. Reason: add photo

2. Collapse Details

The boat is owned by a guy in PA who uses it in NJ. that is the pic of the boat in post 9.

here is another 2 i have.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RocktheBay 2007 072.jpg   Rock the Bay 06 030 (Large).jpg  

3. Collapse Details

rock the bay 2007
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0328.jpg  

4. Collapse Details

One of my favorite teams from back then !
    They kinda put Hering on the map when they came up with those "magic props" ???
    I remember some drama associated with that between them and who was it Forrest Barber at the time ???? Why do I know this crap ?

5. Collapse Details

Founding Member - E Dock GENERAL LEE's Avatar
    Matt Alcone was my overall favorite as well during that time. I was a BIG, Big Thunder fan too, because my boy Jim Lee was running that bad boy then as well!

6. Collapse Details

Another couple of Mad Max & Freedom:

These pictures are especially cool, because these two boats battled it out a few times back in those Supercat days.

7. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GENERAL LEE View Post
    Another couple of Mad Max & Freedom:

These pictures are especially cool, because these two boats battled it out a few times back in those Supercat days.

They did?

I wasn't aware that Matt ever ran Supercat?

T2x
    Allergic to Nonsense

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by T2x View Post
    They did?

I wasn't aware that Matt ever ran Supercat?

T2x
    I'm not the authority, but from what I remember Bob Morgan & Jim talking about, and the old VHS video from ESPN 2 I still have somewhere from forever ago, that's the story.

Bob & Jim had to win the particular race on video I have, by some nearly impossible gap in front of Alcone, in order to take the championship from Matt. They actually came pretty close, but didn't have enough in the end. It may not have been the "Supercat" class, but I just used the word as a general term. My bad.

9. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GENERAL LEE View Post
    I'm not the authority, but from what I remember Bob Morgan & Jim talking about, and the old VHS video from ESPN 2 I still have somewhere from forever ago, that's the story.

Bob & Jim had to win the particular race on video I have, by some nearly impossible gap in front of Alcone, in order to take the championship from Matt. They actually came pretty close, but didn't have enough in the end. It may not have been the "Supercat" class, but I just used the word as a general term. My bad.
    I don't blame you for being confused....but you are probably referring to the old "Superboat" class from which SBI was originally named.

that was the top class of the day back then.

The "Supercat" name (originally intended to be a twin 750 hp carbureted "spec" class) has been bandied about like a whore in a sailers' convention, with modifications ranging from Supercat, Supercat 850, Supercat lite, etc. But, to my knowledge, neither Alcone, nor Bob Morgan ran in those classes.

T2x
    Allergic to Nonsense

10. Collapse Details

So question, I noticed Alcone has the double canopy, most new race boats have a single canopy. pros/cons?

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by rschap1 View Post
    I may be way off...but didn't that go to Cat can do/Baker Racing???
    Yes it did come to us and at that time i was employed by CK motor sports / Baker eng / Cat Can Do offshore race team doing fiberglass repair and at that time we did all the repair on the old CARLOS N CHARLIES along with the repair on the old JELLY BELLY GONE AGAIN .
    Last edited by Offshore Ginger; 11-21-2009 at 11:53 AM.

12. Collapse Details

Registered
    Wasn't Alcones last big races over in Europe where he smoked the locals in some round an island race ?
    and
    Didn't Dick Crippen do the TV commentary of the offshore races towards the end of that era ?
    ed

13. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Perlmudder View Post
    So question, I noticed Alcone has the double canopy, most new race boats have a single canopy. pros/cons?
    The original canopies were the F-16 units rejected by the government for minor imperfections. This was the technology (originally implemented by the Unlimited Hydro guys in 1985) that Offshore adopted. Because of their narrow profile, if you wanted side by side seating you had to use two of them. The only other options were the Harrier jet versions used on only one hull that I know of ( Eric's Reality-4 engine Cougar Superboat), and the custom 4 man canopies tooled for our 48' Conquest, Jesse James, at Texstar (same company that makes the F-16's). There was another similar double wide canopy made for a modified class, Talon cat out of Philadelphia called "Suigeneris". but I don't think the material specs were stringent enough for true protection. By the time Alcone came along the F-16's were coming to the end of their technological life and the manufactirers were beginning to focus more on the double wide canopies. This era was short lived as , with the ever increasing speed envelope, the large surface areas of the canopies gave way to the reinforced structural sections with small window openings that we see today.

In order to properly assess the state of the art in any technological development chain, it is important to know the precise history and logic behind the design framework.

T2x
    Allergic to Nonsense

14. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TCEd View Post
    Wasn't Alcones last big races over in Europe where he smoked the locals in some round an island race ?
    and
    Didn't Dick Crippen do the TV commentary of the offshore races towards the end of that era ?
    ed

Dick Crippen and his trusty bald "color commentary" sidekick (who shall remain obsolete), did the APBA TV coverage. Earlier Art Eckman and his trusty bald(ing) "color commentary" sidekick (who shall also remain obsolete) did the OPT (now SBI) TV coverage.

T2x
    Allergic to Nonsense

15. Collapse Details

The boat is currently at "Offshore Performance" in South Jersey (Scullville/Somers Point) It was shrink wrapped all summer, I don't think it was ever in the water the summer of 2009.

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco View Post
    The boat is currently at "Offshore Performance" in South Jersey (Scullville/Somers Point) It was shrink wrapped all summer, I don't think it was ever in the water the summer of 2009.
    you're right. he took a year off. he has other boats that dont require as much $$ and maintenance to run.

17. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by T2x View Post
    I don't blame you for being confused....but you are probably referring to the old "Superboat" class from which SBI was originally named.

that was the top class of the day back then.

The "Supercat" name (originally intended to be a twin 750 hp carbureted "spec" class) has been bandied about like a whore in a sailers' convention, with modifications ranging from Supercat, Supercat 850, Supercat lite, etc. But, to my knowledge, neither Alcone, nor Bob Morgan ran in those classes.

T2x
    Gotcha, and thanks!

"Superboat" & "Supercat" have melted together in my memory over the years.

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by inbetween View Post
    Yep, Matt is still doing good.
    Mike
    2006 Fountain 38TE..CC..Outboards Baby!

19. Collapse Details

Wherever the sun is shining and the water is rough
    Is Alcone a 46? It looks so big next to cat in the act.

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by richanton View Post
    Is Alcone a 46? It looks so big next to cat in the act.

Yes.