1. Collapse Details
    Hypothetical Situation
    Unhappy
    I am wondering what is the best thing to do in this situation. Say I am out on Lake Michigan on a week day and there is no one as far as I can see. Water gets rough , something goes wrong, and I start to sink. Who do you call? What kind of costs am I looking at if I sink or have to get towed in.? I am sure there are plenty of people that have experienced this and wonder what is the best thing to do....besides staying afloat in the first place.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Revd Up View Post
    I am wondering what is the best thing to do in this situation. Say I am out on Lake Michigan on a week day and there is no one as far as I can see. Water gets rough , something goes wrong, and I start to sink. Who do you call? What kind of costs am I looking at if I sink or have to get towed in.? I am sure there are plenty of people that have experienced this and wonder what is the best thing to do....besides staying afloat in the first place.
    OK, what's the story? I assume you're going somewhere with this.

I had a stringer fail while out on Erie. On my way back from Cedar Point to Toledo. Was taking water in through the transom.
    Kept her on plane, and made my way to PIB and had them sling it as soon as I pulled in.
    Not a fun (or inexpensive) day.
    "Keep the bottle on the bar Ira, I won't be long".

3. Collapse Details

well..if your sinking fast... channel 16 your insurance should cover sinking related expenses.. that was my concern with an old boat..if it sinks and some damn lake erie carp injests a bit of gas.. I want to be covered if the EPA comes.. if it sinks in 30 feet of water..its staying there if it sinks in 6 feet of water.. insurance will get it removed.
    P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by phragle View Post
    well..if your sinking fast... channel 16 your insurance should cover sinking related expenses.. that was my concern with an old boat..if it sinks and some damn lake erie carp injests a bit of gas.. I want to be covered if the EPA comes.. if it sinks in 30 feet of water..its staying there if it sinks in 6 feet of water.. insurance will get it removed.
    I remember seeing and old ChrisCraft cruiser sunk out to the North West of the Harbor light. 3-4' foot of bow sticking up in about 28-30' foot of water.
    Very eerie seeing that (not intending the pun at all).
    It really was pretty spooky.
    This was in the mid 80's. EPA wasn't an issue then, or at least not what it would be now.

5. Collapse Details

Read your insurance policy. It's going to tell you what's covered. There's a difference between a salvage and a tow and if you have a good policy from a marine insurer, it'll cover the salvage expenses. It will also cover enviro issues- fuel spills, etc.

6. Collapse Details

As far as calling anyone, if your boating on the great lakes or the ocean a EPIRB (emergency position-indicating radio beacons) is a must. They have several different kinds, some you can manually set off another will go off as soon as it gets wet. Once activated the coast guard will be there shortly.
    Run until it sounds expensive

7. Collapse Details

You beat me too it Brooks.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Buoy View Post
    OK, what's the story? I assume you're going somewhere with this.

I had a stringer fail while out on Erie. On my way back from Cedar Point to Toledo. Was taking water in through the transom.
    Kept her on plane, and made my way to PIB and had them sling it as soon as I pulled in.
    Not a fun (or inexpensive) day.
    No not really. I just started thinking. Many years back I had a Baja . I broke a U-Joint. It tore the gimbal boot and started taking on water. Luckily I was on a river close to the boat ramp and got it out in time. If I was out on big water it would have gone down. That has always been in the back of my mind, as it can happen to anyone, anytime.
    I had heard of huge recovery costs if your boat goes down, as well as the large EPA fines. Sometimes the EPA fines eat up all your coverage.
    The EPIRB sounds like the safest way to go. I was mainly looking for advice from people who have been in that situation and any advice they give. I just know it would suck.
    Last edited by Revd Up; 11-18-2009 at 01:33 AM. Reason: spelling

9. Collapse Details

You can buy more insurance. If you're buying your insurance from the guy that insures your house and cars, he probabaly hasn't a clue. If you're dealing with a marine insurance pro they'll have a depth of experience and put you into the right coverage. "Insurance deals" is a scary thing.

10. Collapse Details

Mine is with the house and cars. I need to check my policy.

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Revd Up View Post
    No not really. I just started thinking. Many years back I had a Baja . I broke a U-Joint. It tore the gimbal boot and started taking on water. Luckily I was on a river close to the boat ramp and got it out in time. If I was out on big water it would have gone down. That has always been in the back of my mind, as it can happen to anyone, anytime.
    I had heard of huge recovery costs if your boat goes down, as well as the large EPA fines. Sometimes the EPA fines eat up all your coverage.
    The EPIRB sounds like the safest way to go. I was mainly looking for advice from people who have been in that situation and any advice they give. I just know it would suck.

Didn't mean to imply anything there - please don't take it that way.

I was pretty young and dumb when this happened to me, and also I was still invincible. It was me, my then wife, and a buddy on the boat. My Ex was the only one smart enough to put on a life vest. Me and my buddy were too busy monitoring the situation, and getting to the nearest safe harbor.
    Fortunately the vest's weren't needed.
    I guess, if the time comes, you need to act on your skills and training - yes training.
    Asking questions like this, good training!
    I recommend the life vest though, and I'll let the others chime in on the insurance.
    Good to see people asking these questions about others experiences and being responsible.

12. Collapse Details

If you have to call the coast guard and it is a true emergency there is not cost to you. Depends on the coast guard they may tow you in or help or they may monitor the situation when they waite for Sea Tow or Boat US to get there. Most important is the safty of you and the crew next is the boat and the costs IMO.

13. Collapse Details

Great topic - I'm about to be in a bigger boat capable of much more than my 22' Scarab was, and I've been thinking about this a lot too. Keep the replies coming guys...this is an excellent read.

14. Collapse Details

Registered
    Buy adequate insurance.
    Life vests and flares.
    Float plan with family, friends, or USCG for far out trips.
    VHF radio, working and know how to use it. Bring a charged, tested, portable, floating one for backup.
    Cellphone in a waterproof case with USCG/insurance co/tow boat phone numbers.
    GPS working and know how to identify current position.
    Bilge pump(s) installed and working.

99% of "what can I do when (insert bad situation) happens?" needs to be done before you leave the dock.

15. Collapse Details

Get a Personal Liability Umbrella Policy (also called PLUP or PLUB). You can have a couple million in coverage over anything that you own above and beyond individual policy coverages; for only a few hundred dollars a year.
    Brian Tillett; Active Thunder Factory Representative
    wwwActiveThunderBoats.com
    brian(a)activethunderboats.com

16. Collapse Details

Banned
    Put on your life jacket,see if the boat can get close to shore and dial an SOS on channel 16 and if possible dial 911.
    And pray.......

I was stuck out on Lake Michigan,the middle of the night and it started raining....even worse,I was with Stinson
    Luckily,someone spotted us and towed us to a dock...we would have would up on the rocks otherwise

17. Collapse Details

registered
    ......and I thought that this was going to be about a "friend" that was complaining that it burns when he takes a leak!!!!!!!!!

18. Collapse Details

Your passnegers and your safety first. That being said..I always prepair myself as much as possible for "offshore" trip. I boated on the Lake Mich for a long time and it can get nasty. I always had back up batteries and back up pumps.. Tarps and all kinds of chit to deal with some emergency. Thank gowwed.. didn't had any major issues. However.. I always cary this with me.

Peter L. Marton / CCS, Inc.
    ksdfgbmhvhmvhmv
    FL. 34653
    (561) 555-5555

This document is to serve as notice to any and all entities, vessels, person and companies rendering any and all types of marine related assistance to any and all boat operated owned , leased or otherwise used by Peter L. Marton. And/or CCS, Inc. that under no circumstances any “”SALVAGE” operations are permitted and authorized.
    Any assistance requiring any and all “SALVAGE” related activities are strictly prohibited unless, signed by Peter L. Marton or his representative.

Any and all safety related activities to be supervised and conducted by Government Agencies or Government agencies authorized licensee.

Assistance rendering entity. ____________________________ Date ____________

Towing and misc. assistance only. (no SALVAGE) Peter L. Marton __________Date _____

Salvage related activates authorized by: Peter L Marton ________________ Date_______
    Life is: what happens... when you plan something else.

19. Collapse Details

Well then own a boat that will not sink.A lot of the modern Cored boats have enough displacement by construction not to sink in the first place.
    Slippery when wet. PODLESS TUNNEL www.cheetahcat.com ,Repairs, Modifications and Truing Cheap reliable speed.