Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Once I return from Key West and settle, I will post information on the boat and hopefully answer some questions. I hope that you will follow this project with us, as it is close to our hearts and we are very excited.

Scott Barnhart
    Copeland's Phenomenon

2. Collapse Details

registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Copeland's Phenomenon View Post
    Once I return from Key West and settle, I will post information on the boat and hopefully answer some questions. I hope that you will follow this project with us, as it is close to our hearts and we are very excited.

Scott Barnhart
    Copeland's Phenomenon
    Welcome aboard, Scott. It's a pleasure to have you.

3. Collapse Details

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Copeland's Phenomenon View Post

Scott Barnhart
    Copeland's Phenomenon

Count on it being front page news.

And WELCOME

4. Collapse Details

we have been working on the cocoon safety capsule for over a year know ,a capsule within a canopy. the energy absorption materials, the harness system, air bag technology, and the self contained o2 system, and blow away exit door, will save lives in the future, the nascar system has certainly helped with their safety.

5. Collapse Details

One would assume the occupants will also be wearing Nascar's HANS device, correct? No reason to have a strong ZipLock container if the egg is broken inside.

6. Collapse Details

Welcome to Serious Offshore Scott. Good luck with your project and please keep us all updated.

7. Collapse Details

registered
    Welcome Scott and thanks much for posting!!

Craig

8. Collapse Details

Scott,

You and your team , along with many of the current race teams are injected a new excitement into offshroe racing. We eagerly await details and videos from the trials and attempts. Good luck.

Jon

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingCat View Post
    One would assume the occupants will also be wearing Nascar's HANS device, correct? No reason to have a strong ZipLock container if the egg is broken inside.

Actually the HANS device was developed by a sports car racer named Jim Downing who also built the Kudzu chassis. The open wheel drivers in CART and F1 began to use it in the late 90's.
    NASCAR was one of the last series to require drivers to use the device.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by TrippM View Post
    Actually the HANS device was developed by a sports car racer named Jim Downing who also built the Kudzu chassis. The open wheel drivers in CART and F1 began to use it in the late 90's.
    NASCAR was one of the last series to require drivers to use the device.
    Good info. I believe NASCAR drivers were randomly, voluntarily wearing the HANS device until Earnhardt's death, then it became mandatory.

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by CigDaze View Post
    Welcome aboard, Scott. It's a pleasure to have you.
    +1

I was wondering how/if any one could push the envelope further than the machines that have been produced in the last few years.

In true Copeland style- you've done it and we can't wait to hear more!!

12. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Trulio View Post
    It's an average speed over 1 mile (T2X, correct me if I'm wrong) for two passes made within 10 minutes of one another. That makes it challenging, to say the least.

APBA is the official domestic sanctioning body of Union Internationale Motonautique (UIM), for what it's worth. That doesn't make it the be-all and end-all, but it does provide a measure of consistency, accuracy and verification.

Whoever described the pursuit of speed on the water as dangerous knows his history. The list of those who have died trying is long.
    World speed records have been set on both "Flying Mile" and "Flying Kilometer" (easier) courses. There have been various time limits for backup runs in the opposite direction depending upon the era, and sanctioning body.

To me the UIM is the only true source of Official World Records, and well they should be, as they are the only organization to span the globe.

Matt is correct that running one way into a radar gun is nowhere near as dicey as having to hold the throttle down for a full mile at max speed...and then turning around and running again. He is also correct that just about any record holding boat had a few more miles an hour in bursts than the average speed over a course. The unlimited Hydros are still probably faster than the big uber cats...they just have not had the need to break their own records until someone else comes along. I also agree that the drag hydros make all of the turbine speedsters look like they are dragging an anchor. As the smallest in the ultra speed group they have the biggest set of b*lls by a nice margin...... except for Mr. Warby, who, as far as I'm concerned, is either the bravest boat racer in history....or certifiably nuts......

or both.

T2x
    Allergic to Nonsense

13. Collapse Details

I was told recently that the 1960ish kilo's were only good if they started the race the next day.

In the class 1 races it works out very well to have the speed run championship and also the race. In Class 1 the pole speed run has been modified to a pole lap like F1 but it is not as exciting as a flat out run for top end.

Nice job to the Copeland group for stirring the pot a little...

pat W
    Unique Innovative Drivetrain Solutions

14. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shifter View Post
    I was told recently that the 1960ish kilo's were only good if they started the race the next day.

pat W
    The old Norristown, Pa APBA kilos were non racing events some years and combined with a race on others. I think the Kaukauna, Wi kilos were simply speed runs without a race, but again, my memory may be playing tricks.

Most APBA kilos were primarily for the non Offshore classes, and the offshore runs were held on bigger water (Sarasota Bay, New Orleans....) which was not suitable for the smaller inboard and outboard hydros, tunnel boats, and flatbottoms.

T2x
    Allergic to Nonsense

15. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    As I recall in APBA boats had to have 3 starts and a podium finish to be eligible for a Kilo.

Kind of a mute point now with the short and inland courses.

16. Collapse Details

A would-be speed-record setter once told me he believed that Ken Warby's 317-mph record "left a lot on the table." I was polite. I waited till we parted ways to laugh.

How fast is 317 mph on the water? No one has come close since.

Ken's a cool guy, but yeah, I'm with you T2X. He either has giant brass ones, a screw loose or both.

Smart money says both.

17. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Trulio View Post
    I'm with you T2X. He either has giant brass ones, a screw loose or both.

Smart money says both.
    Definitely both

18. Collapse Details

http://www.kenwarby.com/uim_certificate_page.htm

317.60 mph / 511.11km/h
    8th October 1978
    "Spirit of Australia"
    Blowering Dam
    NSW Australia
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails U.I.M._Certificate.jpg  

19. Collapse Details

Worldwide - Blue Martini Hall of Fame - Your sisters house
    I think the speed records should be whatever the radar gun see's it the deal. no 3 start kilo BS. Reggie and Ben saw 183 on a pass that day

20. Collapse Details

Competitor / Charter Member imco offshore's Avatar
    scott will it be public knowlege when you first test the boat? and where?