Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by CigDaze View Post
    Thanks for the video, Laughing Cat!

:
    My pleasure

2. Collapse Details

The multiple layers of paint in the epoxy rocked.. Tried to get some close ups that showed it but they failed miserably...

3. Collapse Details
    Thumbs up
    Quote Originally Posted by Madpoodle View Post
    The multiple layers of paint in the epoxy rocked.. Tried to get some close ups that showed it but they failed miserably...
    Painted by Mark Morris (Visual Imagination) ... I talked to him about getting mine in for some touch up and he was sworn to a secrecy agreement on this project and couldn't let any pictures get out.... He said his guy's would have over 300 hours just getting it ready for paint....They were working pretty much non-stop to get it done for KW...

Pictures just don't do his paint jobs any justice they are so much cooler in person, especially when the sun's shining...

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by glassdave View Post
    no i was refering to the Al Copland boat. I was looking at it after the unveiling and noticed some pretty wild departures from comventional wisdom along the bottom of the boat. Its very difficult to discribe the shape of the sponsons and tunnel. They have an odd wedge sort of shaped feature about twenty feet down from the tip and it looks likes a break or something. Hope someone can put up a pic and maybe you or someone can make heads or tails out of it. Its different from anything i ever thats for sure.
    I recall what you are referring to, but can't picture it exactly. Is it the strange shape in this photo?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Key West 2009 116a.JPG  

5. Collapse Details

As you can see from the list of APBA records posted by Mobilemercman (thanks for the link), Russ Wicks does, in fact, hold the current APBA record for prop-driven boats with an average speed of 205 mph and change.

Yes, there are boats out there right now that can go faster (Wicks actually hit more than 220 mph in his Unlimited hydro when he set the record), but the APBA record isn't a "hit the peak speed and record it" affair such as the Lake Rescue Shootout, where the Callan boat reached an amazing 209 mph. It's an average speed over 1 mile (T2X, correct me if I'm wrong) for two passes made within 10 minutes of one another. That makes it challenging, to say the least.

APBA is the official domestic sanctioning body of Union Internationale Motonautique (UIM), for what it's worth. That doesn't make it the be-all and end-all, but it does provide a measure of consistency, accuracy and verification.

Whoever described the pursuit of speed on the water as dangerous knows his history. The list of those who have died trying is long.
    Last edited by Matt Trulio; 11-17-2009 at 12:29 AM.

6. Collapse Details

thanks LaughingCat

7. Collapse Details

They always had the best stuff!Chicken,side salads oh yea boats also great looking good luck!!

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by nortech4play View Post
    Painted by Mark Morris (Visual Imagination) ...
    You wont find a better one.

9. Collapse Details

A "custom safety capsule canopy" was mentioned in this thread. It looks like there is a odd lip around the canopy. I wonder if they did a capsule like the drag boat guys? One that is water tight and breaks away from the boat?

I would think someone would copy them! It appears there are allot of high speed crashes that people walk away from. Seems someone would scale one up for offshore.

Very cool boat as well as the reason it was built! Glad to see such a great family still support offshore and give back to the racers and fans. Not to mention advance the sport and technology.

10. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor glassdave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LaughingCat View Post
    I recall what you are referring to, but can't picture it exactly. Is it the strange shape in this photo?
    yea, thats where it started and it ends with a very steep angle about twenty feet back. Its probably only visable when off the trailer. When we saw it they had it on blocks, wish i had my camera with me.
    Throttles- Cleveland Construction/Traffic Light Racing 377 Talon cat

11. Collapse Details

Everytime I'd stare at this boat, i couldn't figure out what it resembled. it just dawned on my. The cockpit resembles that of the B2 Stealth Bomber. in fact, if you look at it as teh deck rolls forwad, the similarities grow. Almost looks like a B2 with a couple pointy sponsons.

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingCat View Post
    from what i have learned from another mold that is out there (stalled due to the untimly passing of the builder) this looks like something to capture and compress more air, more lift less drag?????

purely guessing

13. Collapse Details

I wish the two gents who try to get this thing over 300 the best of luck!

14. Collapse Details

Awesome challenge for sure. There was some cool footage in the video presentation they did.
    As for the lip in front of the canopy, I think their Goetz cat had the same thing. I always thought it was a "break" for any blue water that came rolling down the deck in the event of a stuff?
    Does Al JR ever post on this site? The Copeland family is a real class act.
    Matt

15. Collapse Details

Glad to see this thread back
    Better question is what happen to the original postin

16. Collapse Details

I was lucky enough to see the boat during construction when the boat was still in the layup phase & yes it does have a breakaway canopy complete with oxygen. the boat is built like a tank & safety was the number one priority not speed. I didn't get to take any pics when I was there but maybe scotty will post some taken during the build. we passed several boats on our way home yesterday including two mystics & when we passed scotty towing the boat home it was amazing to see how huge this boat is going down the highway. they have taken every precaution possible for going fast in a boat & I wish them all the best! from what I remember the cockpit is set up as a four seat ride which could result in some chili in someones shorts in the back seat at a safe speed of course!!
    Last edited by tunnelvision69; 11-17-2009 at 04:48 PM.

17. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tunnelvision69 View Post
    I was lucky enough to see the boat during construction when the boat was still in the layup phase & yes it does have a breakaway canopy complete with oxygen. the boat is built like a tank & safety was the number one priority not speed. I didn't get to take any pics when I was there but maybe scotty will post some taken during the build. we passed several boats on our way home yesterday including two mystics & when we passed scotty towing the boat home it was amazing to see how huge this boat is going down the highway. they have taken every precaution possible for going fast in a boat & I wish them all the best! from what I remember the cockpit is set up as a four seat ride which could result in some chilly in someones shorts in the back seat at a safe speed of course!!
    It is awesome that they did the canopy this way! Figured it was just a matter of time before someone jumped out of the box and did it. Maybe we will see something like that out of mystic?

Does it have a small parachute?

Thanks for the response!

18. Collapse Details

Thanks!!

19. Collapse Details

not sure about the parachute but I will ask.

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by boatme View Post
    Glad to see this thread back
    Better question is what happen to the original postin
    Apparently, the thread starter was removed from the site. All pictures have been harvested and placed on this one. The thread disappearance had nothing to do with any content on that actual thread.