Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

leave it to Gino to change a negative to a positive..

your my hero

2. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    Guys, you are getting all excited. JC has been this way for years. It is nothing new. It is his home town. Things are not likely to change. Every year its the same thing before Key West some people refuse to go or pay the yearly reg fees to race one race. Others scream quit your crying. Gino not for nothing the pits are tight and he didn't treat you any different then any body else. If he had let you in there would have been 20 more behind you. I am not trying to say everything he does is right and I have had problems with him too. He is what he has always been.

You can support him or not. History keeps repeating only the faces change.

3. Collapse Details

Before you get too spooled-up over this, you might want to consult an attorney about the details of Tortious Interference.

4. Collapse Details

I just looked it up

Tortious interference with contract rights can occur where the tortfeasor convinces a party to breach the contract against the plaintiff, or where the tortfeasor disrupts the ability of one party to perform his obligations under the contract, thereby preventing the plaintiff from receiving the performance promised.
    Run until it sounds expensive

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by lucky devil View Post
    Before you get too spooled-up over this, you might want to consult an attorney about the details of Tortious Interference.
    Strong litigious first post there dude. Who might you be and why are you injecting legalese into this discussion?

6. Collapse Details

The truth trumps Tortious Interference.

Tortious interference comes into play when someone does something illegal, or just wrong, in order to kill someone's business... if people are sharing their experiences and they are truthful and honest I can't see how that would come into play.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by VetteLT193 View Post
    The truth trumps Tortious Interference.

Tortious interference comes into play when someone does something illegal, or just wrong, in order to kill someone's business... if people are sharing their experiences and they are truthful and honest I can't see how that would come into play.
    letting off steam on SOS is one thing but you've got people on here talking about organizing an action against Carbonell with the group in Key West, that's headed by a lawyer!

8. Collapse Details

You know I think one of the things that most of the founders of SOS agree on is that there does need to be a unified racing series. Maybe not all the groups together all the time, but at a minimum, a unified World Championship. We have shown here what can happen when a like minded and driven set of individuals work towards a goal. If this site can be a part of the solution then so be it. Not necessarily by causing some coup against Bubba, or any dirty dealings with the Conch guys, but just working towards it and dealing with whatever obstacles come up. As time goes on and we grow in size and numbers we need to look into the idea, for the good of the sport (no pun intended). Sure JC has a lock on it and he does things his way, and he rubs people the wrong way, but he has a vast amount of experience and has been a survivor in a sport that has vanquished many. So let's channel all this interest, combine our collective intelligence, and work towards this-from right now. Two weeks or two months before an event is not the time to be trying to make it happen. Hell, it might have to be 2010 even if everyone gets started on it right now, but it needs to happen, after this year I suspect even Bubba knows that.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    You know I think one of the things that most of the founders of SOS agree on is that there does need to be a unified racing series. Maybe not all the groups together all the time, but at a minimum, a unified World Championship. We have shown here what can happen when a like minded and driven set of individuals work towards a goal. If this site can be a part of the solution then so be it. Not necessarily by causing some coup against Bubba, or any dirty dealings with the Conch guys, but just working towards it and dealing with whatever obstacles come up. As time goes on and we grow in size and numbers we need to look into the idea, for the good of the sport (no pun intended). Sure JC has a lock on it and he does things his way, and he rubs people the wrong way, but he has a vast amount of experience and has been a survivor in a sport that has vanquished many. So let's channel all this interest, combine our collective intelligence, and work towards this-from right now. Two weeks or two months before an event is not the time to be trying to make it happen. Hell, it might have to be 2010 even if everyone gets started on it right now, but it needs to happen, after this year I suspect even Bubba knows that.
    Very well said and I certainly agree.
    I like the way you also compared it to this site. If some only knew what has gone on behind the scenes...
    It's really just about a group that all really want to achieve the same end result.
    "Keep the bottle on the bar Ira, I won't be long".

10. Collapse Details

Sponsor / Charter Member ThrottleUp Props's Avatar
    Ted, I think that is a step in the right direction. Thank you for the positive spin.

Julie
    Inspector SBI/APBA/UIM
    When you feel the need for speed...Throttle Up!

GO FAST or GO HOME!

11. Collapse Details

That is a great post Ted. Thanks.
    Warning: This post may contain language unsuitable for minors or math not suitable for liberal-arts majors.

12. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    You know I think one of the things that most of the founders of SOS agree on is that there does need to be a unified racing series. Maybe not all the groups together all the time, but at a minimum, a unified World Championship. We have shown here what can happen when a like minded and driven set of individuals work towards a goal. If this site can be a part of the solution then so be it.
    Correct. I was talking with several of the current and former racers about the situation. Most were not happy with the current systems. If we could even get started with two or three classes where the rules were the same in all three organizations I could start racing again. SV Lite, Stock Cat, and maybe one bigger class would be a good start. To me it sucks that I want to buy a boat and race in a reasonably close area to home and there are plenty of races but they are different orgs.

13. Collapse Details

Carbonell cashes Key West's checks. Can you imagine if someone (MBZ?) were to write a check to KW? Can you imagine if they had a few sub-sponsors (Rolex, a liquor co, GEICO, others) also in on a unification series? Bring the FPC guys in? Speed trials on non-race days? There's so much more that could go on down there with some creative thinking I honestly don't see anything going on down there that couldn't easily be bettered by great leaps.

The tortious interference thing? If competing in an open marketplace and attempting to take a deal away from another supplier is illegal, we better start building LOTS of prisons. What a laugh that one was.

14. Collapse Details

Guess that explains why you weren't in good humor when we stopped by you & Larry on the way out of the pits to BS. It was obvious something was up.
    The boat looked good anyway, even if it was on the trailer.

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    The tortious interference thing? If competing in an open marketplace and attempting to take a deal away from another supplier is illegal, we better start building LOTS of prisons. What a laugh that one was.
    are you saying Carbonell doesn't have a multi-year contract with the Conch Republic folks and that trying to induce them into breaking that contract doesn't have consequences? If so, have at it.

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Last night, on TV... Quiznos committed Gross Tortious Interference between me and Subway. See.... I had this 5 dollar thing going with Subway. It was good. But not ideal.

In a calculated, overt, and expensive attempt to interefere in a tortious manner, they matched the 5 dollar thing that I had going, and upped the quality of the product. And even toasted it.

I am tempted to go get a Quiznos sub, but I fear getting wrapped up in any litigation that is sure to result in this hostile takeover of my belly.

Meanwhile... people get bought out of contracts and deals are settled everyday. If KW wanted out of their deal with any individual....especially if they could argue poor performance.. (there could be a cost involved).... but private citizens don't win against local government. Especially when they are not maxmizing the opportunity that they have been granted temporary stewardship of.
    Warning: This post may contain language unsuitable for minors or math not suitable for liberal-arts majors.

17. Collapse Details

are you saying Carbonell doesn't have a multi-year contract with the Conch Republic folks and that trying to induce them into breaking that contract doesn't have consequences? If so, have at it.
    he may have a multi year contract, but that doesnt stop potential wooers from courting KW officials, all that is going to do is make them think about renewing it. The only person Carbonell could sue would be KW IF they decided to end his contract early. I go to dealerships every day and ask them to use me instead of my competitors, that's not tortious interference, that's just business.

But, that being said if all of the racers decided not to show up or race in protest of carbonells rules, that might give the city of KW a chance to get out of the contract, depending on the wording of said contract.

Having been sued for it, tortious interference as it is stated in suits, would be if another racing organization conspired to have everyone over throw carbonell, but without a business plan of some sorts if would be impossible to prove, racers boycotting a dictators rule, imo would not fall under that.

18. Collapse Details

You could put an end to this sophistry very quickly. The group that controls the event is Conch Republic Offshore Powerboat Racing Association. They are the local group that negotiates with the city and county and sub-contracted with Carbonell.They were revived by and led by Bill Spottswood. email him: bill (at) spottswood.com Tell him your thoughts, see if he replies, share the answers with us.

19. Collapse Details

I'm saying that right this minute I can start overtly planning to compete for that contract and approach KW on the topic and no one can do anything about it. Tortious interference is one of thos cool terms that amateur lawyers like to toss out at coctail parties to impress their friends. Judges, on the other hand, aren't particularly fond of it. Go check Westlaw for some interesting reading.

20. Collapse Details

where can we find case history on this fancy new *buzzword* ?