1. Collapse Details
    Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - opinions
    Banana Bend, Texas 29 50 49.84N, 95 05 17.46W
    Arrow
    Thinking about buying a Jeep Wrangler unlimited instead of the usual crewcab p/u for one of my managers company car.

The pickups rarely get used as such and we have vans and other pickups if needed.

Cant get the accelerated depreciation on the pickups unless they are 3/4 or 8 foot bed which I don't really need.

So who's got them and will they work for a daily driver?

Thanks
    Last edited by Wobble; 11-14-2009 at 02:09 PM.
    Mark
    Everybody should believe in something; I believe I'll have another drink.

2. Collapse Details
    Jeep wrangler
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobble View Post
    Thinking about buying a Jeep Wrangler unlimited instead of the usual crewcab p/u for one of my managers company car.

The pickups rarely get used as such and we have vans and other pickups if needed.

Cant get the accelerated depreciation on the pickups unless they are 3/4 or 8 foot bed which I don't really need.

So who's got them and will they work for a daily driver?

Thanks
    Got A 2006 4.0 6spd @ best with the A\C on 15mpg And thats Driving conservetly , and I know you Boys Down South Don't do to much of "that der stuff"!

3. Collapse Details

Here's another thread on this topic that's pretty new.

http://seriousoffshore.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9564

I'm assuming we are talking about an a 4dr Wrangler? The old unlimiteds were 2 dr with a longer wheel base, the unlimited model now denotes a 4 dr.

Here's my thoughts from our roughly 8 or so weeks of ownership. Daily driver this vehicle will be fine. Not gonna win any acceleration contests, but it's not built for that either. Mileage is fair for an underpowered 4wd vehicle with the aerodynamics of a brick wall. Fun to drive. Depending on the options you get, they can be pretty nicely outfitted from the factory. We got the Rubicon with every factory option except leather. (that will be added) We are a family of four and comfort is fair. Kids don't complain but I think they are keeping their mouths shut because they wanted Mommy to get it so bad. 1-2 hour trips are all I would care to take in this vehicle without going crazy. Anything longer and we will be driving my Crew Cab truck. Ride is surprisingly comfortable for a Jeep. These things have come a long ways in the past few years.

All in all we like it for it's intended purpose. It does what it was built to do and she seems to love it. That's all that matters to me.
    Last edited by buck; 11-15-2009 at 01:21 AM.
    A thong is like a barbed wire fence, it protects the property but doesn't ruin the scenery.

4. Collapse Details

Ive been driving a Jeep Unlimited back and forth between Missouri and Tennessee. Not the best road trip vehicle. Running around town would be fine. Its got more room than other Jeeps and is fun to drive.

AS A MATTER OF FACT.....Its for sale. 2009 Unlimited, Red, Black Top, 13,000 miles.

5. Collapse Details

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'll go take one for a drive this week.

Buck, I did mean the 4 door version. The user will be running out to plants for customers and occasionally picking up people from the airport.

Nothing wrong with the crew cab pickups we have, I was looking around for an alternative that wasn't too car like.

Own an H3 which is great truck and also gets about 15mpg, the future for Hummer isnt looking so good.

So my choices are the Big three. I dont buy Fords. Have always had good luck with GM and Jeep
    Mark

6. Collapse Details

I know they completely changed the wheel base for the 4 dr Wrangler. I've talked to a few people who have them and like them but I don't know how they'd do for a daily driver. I don't like my 2 dr Wrangler for a daily or for trips.
    I saw a boat once!

7. Collapse Details

I've owned a bunch of Jeeps and love them. I currenty have a ZJ Grand Cherokee LTD with 5.5" lift on 33's. It is a very capable off road rig.

I recently test drove a new Rubicon 4 door Unlimited. I was very dissappointed in it. Dog slow, rough riding and very cheap feel inside. Now if it sold for $20K I could live with all that but it stickered out over $30K! Too much coin for what you get.

I'd look at the new grands. A bit more $ but way nicer.

8. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    I am a huge fan of the Jeep JK Wranglers. The V6 3.8L is horrible, so I've changed both mine out to HEMI's. The black one has a 5.7L HEMI and the silver one has a 6.1L SRT8 HEMI... ...now they move...

More pics here: http://benhedrick.com/HyHoSilver.htm

Hy Ho Silver:

Super Sahara:

Ben Hedrick - SPIDER Integration Group - SRP
    www.BenHedrick.com
    www.HEDRICKspeedsports.com

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ben@SRP View Post
    I am a huge fan of the Jeep JK Wranglers. The V6 3.8L is horrible, so I've changed both mine out to HEMI's. The black one has a 5.7L HEMI and the silver one has a 6.1L SRT8 HEMI... ...now they move...

Those are sweet.

I went and drove a couple and was very disappointed in the leg room and power.

Ended up buying another half ton short bed CC Chevy which is a very nice truck. Came with bluetooth for the cell which is a big plus on the safety side.
    Mark

10. Collapse Details

Dude......How nasty is the wrangler with the SRT??? how gnarly of a wheelie can that thing pull? I'm always amazed at the chit I see here.

11. Collapse Details

That's no joke Ben, good job. One of a kind rides, but I love the sleeper look!

12. Collapse Details

Ben that is cool as Hell !!!!!!
    Parabellum FJ²B

13. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    Thanks guys! Since I stopped racing offshore I need another "speed thing"... oh and I also now race SCCA...

Ben
    Ben Hedrick - SPIDER Integration Group - SRP
    www.BenHedrick.com
    www.HEDRICKspeedsports.com