Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

spyder cool glad you bought it, I talked to the guy who was selling it a while ago. glad you got the konrad ace, hey talk to biggus or MGD motor builders, they did a stepped hull with the ace drive with the bullit lower and both guys said to start at 3'' prop shaft height which I think is 17 1/2'' x. cause the step hull they used a spacer so it was set at 3 1/2'' prop shaft then they pulled spacer and picked up 7mph more,. so I am starting at 3'' on the 28saber if I had a stepped hull I would start at 2'' or a notch. I am just waiting for my motor which should be done this month or I will be paying rent for a garage with nothing to do. I wanted to start mine in nov, but I can only rent the unit until march cause april they have a new guy long lease coming in which means I loose 800 bucks and will be working outside in april. so I hope they get it done cause march 1st I will visit the shop and if its in pieces its coming with me and I GOT A LOCAL GUY that will do it in 2weeks he is slow until april does a lot of head work machine work but is a old friend and knows I been waiting and running out of time.theres so many good builders out there I will most likely stay with in driving distance theres two dynos with in 15mins of my house ones my old builder who took to long on the last 3 builds I used him and was upset I WENT ELSE WHERE.BUT IF A BUILDER IS GOOD IT TAKES LONGER haha. and if mine is perfect then in the fall I will send out my na 509 for work or just buy parts that motor has 20hrs but has sat for 3 1/2yrs. the konrad looks the balls I have 3 props to start with 26b1 labbed/30 px5 labbed / 32 b1 labbed . I hope to break a 100mph since my new hull is about 5000lbs rigged. and if its done by april complete I will have a sponsor for a few races if its not done the money will go to stock car,bikes. so he wants to see a complete boat running he wanted to see it in march but we got to much workto rig. keep us posted

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by J-Bonz View Post
    Spyder,
    The boat looks great!! How did it go splitting the hull and deck since they were bonded together? Did you cut from the inside or outside? Its looking sick!!!
    Jr.
    The hull and deck were already seperated when I got it. I would not have cut it like they did....

Still working on the transom.... My job has been taking priority over the Squadron lately... Trying to keep the bills paid...

3. Collapse Details

Update.
    Project is still in the works, just haven't had very much time to get to it. Spring is here now so I have more of an itch to get it done now. I will keep you guys posted.

4. Collapse Details

thanks
    People we meet in life are either a Blessing or a Lesson

5. Collapse Details

Any updates on this. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it!

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tamburello View Post
    Any updates on this. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it!
    Very little, still collecting parts, have the components for a nasty 540 now!

Working on smoothing the bilge now, once that is done the deck will be going back on. I will post pics as progress allows.

7. Collapse Details

alright spyder...summer's over...get crackin on that thing

Nice work btw.....keep going!!! Love to see it done. I know how tedious that fiberglass work can be. I reworked the inside of a '76 24 excalibur in the 90's - used 14 gallons of epoxy resin by the time I had it all locked up - um never again for me - that's why I bought this thing!.

I've had an absolute blast with the Konrad in this boat. You still can't abuse the drive with abandon - I just talked to one guy at a poker run who says his buddy has been through 4 of them with 800 hp and a drunken throttle hand...literally. I no longer wish I had raised my x though.....I think I kinda like the prop deep - allows me to stay in the throttle when the hull is way clear of the water - which is where it spends most of it's time in the Chesapeake Bay. Sure I may loose a few ticks, but damn it's fun in the rough stuff....

One paint scheme I always thought about was one in gray/silver or an aluminum look, complete with fake rivets painted everywhere to go along with the full squadron theme - like a P-51 Mustang look, toothed grin on the hood scoop or bow and all ! I would have put 5 little outlines of TRS outdrives with red X's over them - since I killed 5 with mine, which would make it an ACE by airforce rules..... There was a large cat done this way, and then there was American Choppers Jet bike from there first show done that way.

update??
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bow high landing.jpg   duke boys boatin.jpg   flyin low.jpg  

Bulletproof.jpg   squad air.png   Squad splashdown.png  

Last edited by Hang Time 27; 10-03-2010 at 10:00 PM.

8. Collapse Details

I have finally started to get back on her..
    The transom was cut last week for the ACE package. I made the cut at 3" below the bottom. We will see how that works...

BTW, I the other day an awesome gentleman sent me some Squadron history I am sure you will love to see!
    The person used to work for Don back in the day and had a 27 built to his specs, Banks twin turbo BBC, #3 and all!
    He sent me all of his documentation, build sheets, option sheets, letters, flyers, brochures, posters, pictures, press releases, Banks turbo info all for the Squadron boats.
    He also sent me an original Squadron jacket!

I will be getting it all scanned and preserved shortly!

I also may have a new cool project on the way, I'll post pics when it is here..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Squadron 27 175.jpg   Squadron 27 176.jpg   Squadron 27 178.jpg  

Squadron 27 179.jpg   Squadron 27 180.jpg  

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 26 Spyder View Post
    I have finally started to get back on her..
    The transom was cut last week for the ACE package. I made the cut at 3" below the bottom. We will see how that works...

BTW, I the other day an awesome gentleman sent me some Squadron history I am sure you will love to see!
    The person used to work for Don back in the day and had a 27 built to his specs, Banks twin turbo BBC, #3 and all!
    He sent me all of his documentation, build sheets, option sheets, letters, flyers, brochures, posters, pictures, press releases, Banks turbo info all for the Squadron boats.
    He also sent me an original Squadron jacket!

I will be getting it all scanned and preserved shortly!

I also may have a new cool project on the way, I'll post pics when it is here..
    Man would I love to see that stuff!!

BTW, my prop shaft seems to measure out at 5" with the Konrad. I remember thinking that a shorty might leave me a little too short when I measured before the install.

10. Collapse Details

I am set at 3" and I have the box & long drive, so I can go shorter if needed... After a lot of research and discussion the majority rule was 3". We will see...

11. Collapse Details

Then you'll have the fun of your exhaust exit..... Probably have to angle them pretty good to keep them below the rub rail. I have to redo mine this winter if I change over to headers....Mine exit right thru the rub rail and have no seal, and since the transom sits so low...waves creep up the back when stopping in the bay to hang out....lets the salt water in the bilge too easily....

12. Collapse Details

Luckily I dont have to deal with salt very often.
    The headers I plan to use have tails that have some drop in them. If needed I will order some new tails though.
    The existing 4" holes are through the rail, from the factory it had 3" tips down low under the water. All will be filled and redone..

13. Collapse Details

No updates yet but I will show off the new project. This new one is getting stored until the 27 is done.
    How many 24 Squadron XII's are there?

Also, a pic of a logo we designed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Squadron 24 021.jpg   Squadron 24 020.jpg   Squadron 24 036.jpg  

Squadron 24 037.jpg   Squadron 24 040.jpg   Squadron 24 043.jpg  

14. Collapse Details

Also, a pic of a logo we designed.
    Nice !

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Hang Time 27 View Post
    Nice !
    I may be able to get a few extra if needed.

16. Collapse Details

I may be able to get a few extra if needed.
    I'll buy a pair, or two, off ya if you do.

17. Collapse Details

Any updates on either the 27 or the 24? I've got a 24' Squadron XII, I'm pumped to see how things are going.

18. Collapse Details

Any pics of your 24', cigaretteracing5?

19. Collapse Details

did you guys see the 27 for sale on Offshoreonly? Holy crap. 900hp and a #6 drive. Apparently he just spent about 100k on it last winter!

20. Collapse Details

That thing ought to fly!