Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by cabana1 View Post
    well i think you are doing great work so far, I would say go with the first graphic, kinda looks familar

That is nice looking! Can you send me more pics?
    I am assuming it is a 28 SS?

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Gun View Post
    This posted by Mike Baldwin (Michigan)...It would be cool if you could get the Squadron done by then!

We are starting to plan our 6th annual 20 foot Cig Regatta much earlier this year in hopes that we get reservations in and get more of those 20s we see on OSO you guys have spent a lot of money and time we would like to see them.

The plan for 2010 is go to the Lake of the Ozarks we will be doing our runs on Sep 18 with possible some evens on the 17th. I have some rooms reserved at Toadcove resort they gave a great group rate it is a first class place they also have slips for us, you can check it out at www.toadcove.com their phone is 573-365-5620 to make reservations. But before you make res. please give me a call Mike at 734-231 5845 so I can give you our group number and more info. also I can keep a head count in case we need more rooms. Rocky and I plan on going down on the 13th if any one cares to join us and do a little boating feel free. I will also try to keep you informed thru out the summer on how the even is comeing along we have five 20s signed up already this is going to be the best yet.

PS I hope to get some of the Donzi group to come also they have really made it a lot fun for us over the years, thanks!

I'll for sure be there with the Squadron! Its even my birthday weekend!

2. Collapse Details

sure here is a link to my build thread.I know you are not new to this(I saw your last resto) but as much as this might kick your rear end; just keep at it. You will be so happy in the end. Looks great so far

http://www.seriousoffshore.com/forum...ad.php?t=12952

3. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    Spyder, how did you cut that outer layer of glass on the transom so nice??

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by ItsPeanut View Post
    Spyder, how did you cut that outer layer of glass on the transom so nice??
    I used a cut off tool and just sliced the outer layer of glass.

Transom is almost back in, I would have pics but my hands are covered in epoxy... Along with everything else!

5. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    Which cut off tool and what type of blade. I tried sawzall and right angle grinder. Neither came out that nice.

6. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    Probably a diamond wheel.

7. Collapse Details

Which cut off tool and what type of blade. I tried sawzall and right angle grinder. Neither came out that nice.
    I mostly use a Diamond saw like Jim mentioned and that is an air tool . I just recently tried a tool made by Fein , which is electric that i borrowed from a friend to try , and found it to be a pretty cool tool which was very useful considering it is electric .

8. Collapse Details

It is just a std metal cutoff tool with a normal metal cutting blade. It is the green handled tool in the pic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Squadron 27 151.jpg  

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 26 Spyder View Post
    It is just a std metal cutoff tool with a normal metal cutting blade. It is the green handled tool in the pic.
    those are also a very usefull tool which i used the hell out of before i purchased a Diamond saw and the thinner the blade the better it cuts

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Ginger View Post
    those are also a very usefull tool which i used the hell out of before i purchased a Diamond saw and the thinner the blade the better it cuts
    3M has some pretty thin cut off blades..
    Any chance you have a pic of the tool with the diamond blade?

11. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    That Fein tool is a great tool. But its not cheap and niether are the blades. Just bought a 5 pack for 129.00 bucks.

12. Collapse Details

That Fein tool is a great tool. But its not cheap and niether are the blades. Just bought a 5 pack for 129.00 bucks.
    I , have to say that when i was using the Fein tool and broke a blade , i could use the broken blade or part of it and it really is a great tool . Spyder i will be sending you an e mail and thank you for your time .
    Last edited by Offshore Ginger; 01-10-2010 at 10:09 PM.

13. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor glassdave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Ginger View Post
    I , have to say that when i was using the Fein tool and broke a blade , i could use the broken blade or part of it and it really is a great tool . Spyder i will be sending you an e mail and thank you for your time .
    I had heard that Fein tool is pretty handy. Its pricy but so is a Metabo and if i'd know how handy that tool was i would have paid twice the price if i had to. I'm gonna hafta look for a local dealer for Fein and look into it some more.
    Throttles- Cleveland Construction/Traffic Light Racing 377 Talon cat

14. Collapse Details

I consided getting a fein when I started working on my pos, but after using a cut-off wheel on a die grinder or angle die grinder couldn't justify the cost for the tool or the blades. I kind of figured it would lead a pretty short life covered in fiberglass dust.

That being said my dad uses one for his tile/flooring business and he loves it.

15. Collapse Details

The Fein is the best but if I was doing the stuff you guys do (kicks the crap out of the tools) I would just go with the off the Home Depot shelf ones. I have the Bosche unit. It works great but is batter powered so would probably not be that great for what you guys do. Bits seem to be as good as the Fein but a LOT less money.

Jon

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by glassdave View Post
    I had heard that Fein tool is pretty handy. Its pricy but so is a Metabo and if i'd know how handy that tool was i would have paid twice the price if i had to. I'm gonna hafta look for a local dealer for Fein and look into it some more.
    Dave the Fein give's a very nice straight cut with little dust not like the Metabo and to tell you the truth i know a local marina that has been using them for years and im also thinking of finding a dealer .

17. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    Hey Dave, First off congrats at the worlds. Second, thanks for helping Jbonz out with his Scout. About that fein tool, their usually only for sale at local woodworking shops and they jack the price up pretty good their. Their is an actual marine kit at http://www.toolhouseinc.com/ . I bought mine at tylertool.com about 2 years ago for 250. I think its about 200 now but i have to say it is one of the best most durable tools i have used. Just make sure you have blades laying around because if you go to the store to by them, you will be upset.

18. Collapse Details

Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by glassdave View Post
    Can't help with a local dealer, but Hartville Hardware sells all kind of tools and is where I got mine. They shipped it and I had it within a couple days. Their website is: www.hartvillehardware.com/

For replacement blades try: http://www.multiblades.com/index.html

Prices are reasonable and they ship in a timely manner.

19. Collapse Details

Hey Dave, First off congrats at the worlds. Second, thanks for helping Jbonz out with his Scout. About that fein tool, their usually only for sale at local woodworking shops and they jack the price up pretty good their. Their is an actual marine kit at http://www.toolhouseinc.com/ . I bought mine at tylertool.com about 2 years ago for 250. I think its about 200 now but i have to say it is one of the best most durable tools i have used. Just make sure you have blades laying around because if you go to the store to by them, you will be upset.
    Nut,
    I forgot to show you the diamond tile saw I had.... O well, I am still very happy with the work you got done!! I just got to get back on the job..
    Jr.

20. Collapse Details

Spyder,
    The boat looks great!! How did it go splitting the hull and deck since they were bonded together? Did you cut from the inside or outside? Its looking sick!!!
    Jr.