Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Looking at tow rigs... what would you buy?
    Ok... time for me to get serious about a tow rig. I have a 28 foot Apache Brave. Kind of heavy. Could creep up on 9,000 with gas and gear. I intend on trailering within a 300 mile radius or so.

I can probably spend around 15k max. (That means don't suggest a F650) I am thinking of staying with 4x4 SRW. I just don't think that my load requires DRW.

I'll be adding electric over hydraulic brakes to cover all axles of the trailer. I could always do a weight-distributing set up to gain some capacity and control. I'll take the factory hitch off of the truck and have a higher capacity one put on.

With all this in mind... I am leaning toward a 1999-2006 Ford 250 with the diesel.
    Any thoughts that I can benefit from?

Thanks.
    Warning: This post may contain language unsuitable for minors or math not suitable for liberal-arts majors.

2. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I think the 250SD is a good choice. I would have said a GM until it became Government Motors.

I've also seen some 350's in that price range, but unless you buy a bigger boat, no need.

And, since you mentioned it, why brakes on all three axles?
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    I think the 250SD is a good choice. I would have said a GM until it became Government Motors.

I've also seen some 350's in that price range, but unless you buy a bigger boat, no need.

Yeah... I have a GMC 1/2 ton outside, and a 20 year history of GMC trucks.

I heard that it (brakes all axles) was required in some places.

With the long winter here, I figured a heavy duty 250 with 4 wheel drive and single rear wheel would be more versitile.
    Warning: This post may contain language unsuitable for minors or math not suitable for liberal-arts majors.

4. Collapse Details

Fond du Lac, WI Cheeseheads & Kiekhaefer Scarab KV Miami Vice LTD Formally Snap-On Tools Canada
    This is a highly opinionated subject so I'm probably gonna open a can of worms, but here goes.
    I prefer a DRW myself. Triaxle trailers won't push them around like a SRW. I pulled my
    30' Villain on a triaxle with both and never went back once I used a DRW. After pulling the KV with a 96 GMC for a couple years I took a test run with a new 2001 Ford. Even with the new independent front suspension on the Ford, the GMC was hands down the better ride. I haven't pulled with a newer Ford lately, but the 90's and early 2000's were notorious for sloppy steering. The GM's had much tighter steering. When I was in between duallies I pulled with a couple late 90's F350's and hated the way they wanted to wonder.
    Then there's the heavier axles, tubed verses channeled frame, extra leafs, etc etc.
    I see a lot of pics of 3/4 ton trucks squatting low in the azz with boats your size and even using leveling bars to try and compensate for what the truck lacks. You mentioned changing to a heavier hitch. That's kinda falling into compensating class.
    IMO you buy a little more truck then you need rather then just enough to get by.

Just my .02 worth John......and a little been there done that.

5. Collapse Details

Buy a diesel Excursion and put the 250 suspension on it. You already know how that works.

Seriously, I can get more into my Ex than you ever could into the back of a pickup with a cap. And while I can't easily haul 14 sheets of plywood, when's the last time you did? And U-Haul will rent you a trailer for those times. But I can tell you I get it stuffed full of friends or business associates all the time. And it's the same truck as the 250, but rides better.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by fund razor View Post
    Yeah... I have a GMC 1/2 ton outside, and a 20 year history of GMC trucks.

I heard that it (brakes all axles) was required in some places.

With the long winter here, I figured a heavy duty 250 with 4 wheel drive and single rear wheel would be more versitile.
    Florida does
    Run until it sounds expensive

7. Collapse Details

Fond du Lac, WI Cheeseheads & Kiekhaefer Scarab KV Miami Vice LTD Formally Snap-On Tools Canada
    I guess if I'm shopping for a tow vehicle, I'm looking for a sufficient tow vehicle. Not a Limo

Seriously though. With a 9000 lb GVWR on a 250, your at the top of the scale for that truck and just get'n by.

Now here's a new twist to consider. I follow a lot of law suits involving the trucking industry and the lawyers are really grabbing at straws to lay blame on truckers when they initially weren't at fault and they're get'n away with it.
    For example.....even though my client was drunk and blew the stop sign, the trucker would not have been there to hit and kill him if he would've been traveling the speed limit instead of 2 mph over the limit. This isn't just limited to the trucking industry anymore either.
    Now what happens when a truck pulling a boat is involved in a fatality accident and the sleeze ball lawyers go him for towing with an inadequate or under licensed truck.
    I know that may seem far fetched. A lot of cases I follow would've seemed that way a few years ago, but they're reality today

8. Collapse Details

There's a lot of f250s and f350s in that price range with the 7.3 powerstroke. 99-03 I believe. '99 F250/F350 diesel rated towing capacity is 11,000# (from the owners manual)

9. Collapse Details

My 3500hd DRW is overkill for my Formula about 10k lbs with trailer and loaded with fuel but it sure tows nice.Look on autotrader.com you will get an idea what stuff is going for.You can't always go buy the trucks towing rating I was actually legal (without fuel) towing with my last truck a Nissan titan and thought it was ok.Till I got the Dually then realized how scary it was to tow with that truck.

10. Collapse Details

Hmmm.

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by inbetween View Post
    There's a lot of f250s and f350s in that price range with the 7.3 powerstroke. 99-03 I believe. '99 F250/F350 diesel rated towing capacity is 11,000# (from the owners manual)
    Is that what they say it can pull or the GVWR.
    The 09 SD's have a 15,000lb hitch and Ford says they can pull up to like 30,000 or something like that, but the GVWR is no where's near the rating on the hitch. If I remember right, the total combined on an SD calculates to around 23,000 lb. Regular 250 will be less.

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Expensive Date View Post
    My 3500hd DRW is overkill for my Formula about 10k lbs with trailer and loaded with fuel but it sure tows nice.Look on autotrader.com you will get an idea what stuff is going for.You can't always go buy the trucks towing rating I was actually legal (without fuel) towing with my last truck a Nissan titan and thought it was ok.Till I got the Dually then realized how scary it was to tow with that truck.
    The furthest I've pulled is 1600 miles round trip. Pulled the Villain up to Canada and the KV back. When you can leave your hand off the wheel for sometimes a mile at a time with out drifting, ya know it's tracking great. Thing handles like there's noth'n back there.

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Scarab KV View Post
    Is that what they say it can pull or the GVWR.
    The 09 SD's have a 15,000lb hitch and Ford says they can pull up to like 30,000 or something like that, but the GVWR is no where's near the rating on the hitch. If I remember right, the total combined on an SD calculates to around 23,000 lb. Regular 250 will be less.
    You're gonna make me get the book out

Ok so my memory is a little off.

1999 F250SD 3.73 axle, F350 SRW 3.73 axle & F350DRW 4.1 axle (all with powerstroke) are listed as maximum GCWR (gross combined weight rating) 20,000#, maximum trailer weight 10,000#. Fifth wheel max trailer weight is GCWR - GVW

14. Collapse Details

2006 F350 SRW long bed 6.0 w/67K trouble free (knock on wood) miles. King Ranch w/stock 20" rims (not sure if that makes it more/less stable than smaller rims/tires)
    My future FIL has a 2006 F350 DRW KR reg bed with higher gears and stock 18" rims.

I think mine looks better, gets 3MPG better and his is not that much better at towing than mine. Gears help on big hills but I've never not been able to climb a hill with my truck. Yes, his is more stable with the DRW but towing my boat it is not that much differerence at all even on 1 lane each direction bridges 100 feet in the air with 20MPH winds running at 60MPH with big rigs blowing by in the other direction of travel.

I think my SRW is rated to tow more because his truck weighs more; like total weight is the same (26K LBS?) but since my truck is lighter it can tow more I have have more cargo before hitting the limit.

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by BBB725 View Post
    Florida does
    FL requires front axle only.....not all axles. Stop by the local boat ramp this weekend and you will quickly see front axle only is majority.

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post

If he is buying used, then why not GM? Govt Motors has nothing to do with a 3-4 year old truck.....

17. Collapse Details

Perception impacts resale.

18. Collapse Details

Competitor / Charter Member imco offshore's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Buy a diesel Excursion and put the 250 suspension on it. You already know how that works.

Seriously, I can get more into my Ex than you ever could into the back of a pickup with a cap. And while I can't easily haul 14 sheets of plywood, when's the last time you did? And U-Haul will rent you a trailer for those times. But I can tell you I get it stuffed full of friends or business associates all the time. And it's the same truck as the 250, but rides better.
    i agree with the Excursion,powerstroke, i had a 350sd powerstoke dually4door,and bought the Excursion. 4x4 and love it, i go to every race with a LOT of extra parts, and still plenty of room inside,,,

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by fund razor View Post
    Perception impacts resale.
    All the better for you as the buyer. By the time you're ready to sell, this GM thing will be yesterday's news and resale will be back where it belongs.

20. Collapse Details

That is what I was thinking- buy it to run it in the ground over the next 10 years and then dump it off for Cash for Clunkers 7 at that time.