Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by VetteLT193 View Post
    don't be too scared of a well maintained higher mileage diesel. There's 256,000 miles on the 2001 duramax in my driveway.

And FL does require brakes on all axles. It's a retarded law but it is what it is. I have overkill with a triple axle trailer (could run on 2 of the 3). I only have 4 wheels with brakes regardless of the law.

Agree on the first part and not on the last, Id rather have better brakes on the trailer than the truck as the whole train goes straight and doesnīt jackknife in the process.

My choice would be a DIESEL Dodge Ram crew cab dually with a stick shift...just to be safe, them slushomatics never cut it in real hauling.
    Last edited by MikeyFIN; 12-13-2009 at 07:37 AM. Reason: DIESEL!
    Offshore Racing wasnīt designed to be a spectator sport, it's for people or companies with's lots of money to push the envelope of endurance technology and hopefully put a trophy on a mantle. It's man vs the elements, not like boats with like engines running in circles.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by sledge View Post
    Not that there's anything "wrong" with the V10 as compared to the 496...

But Raylar makes goodies for the 8.1L....

If you get it in an SUV (Suburban/Yukon XL/Avanlanche) it will come with the 4L85E trans, and in a pickup it will have the Allison bolted to it. While the motor might not be in production anymore, there will be plenty of parts to keep you going for a long time. I have to believe SUVs/trucks with the 8.1L are dirt cheap these days.
    the 4L85E would fit perfect in My 1970 SS 396 El Camino with a hitch but other than that..nothing but problems IMO. Over here Allisons break too but the worst are the Dodges slushomatics which like the 4L80/85E are nothing but TH400/ TF727 with an overdrive and they are designed up to fullsize sedans nothing else so donīt ask too much from them.

If You need a good puller get a Dually pickup with a Diesel and stick shift IMO and learn to drive ( a manual).
    Last edited by MikeyFIN; 12-13-2009 at 08:24 AM.
    Offshore Racing wasnīt designed to be a spectator sport, it's for people or companies with's lots of money to push the envelope of endurance technology and hopefully put a trophy on a mantle. It's man vs the elements, not like boats with like engines running in circles.

3. Collapse Details

Regarding powerstrokes.. well they have a so sad a history that Iīd never look at them.

Cummins is the only one despite me being a GM guy all the way.

* friends has Rams at 500-700hp ranges, low 12īs in the quarter , daily drivers

4. Collapse Details

I think that your ban was too short Mika.
    "get a diesel with a stick and learn how to drive" ...nice.

Howabout you stay off of my threads and I'll stay off of yours.
    Warning: This post may contain language unsuitable for minors or math not suitable for liberal-arts majors.

5. Collapse Details

Fund not meant to you or anyone personally... What I meant was learn how to drive (a stick shift and a combo in general).
    Sorry if it came on strong but being a trucker myself I have a top priority on driving skills and proper equipment.
    * Iīve had too many close calls in my life despite trying to keep the safety distances.
    Last edited by MikeyFIN; 12-13-2009 at 08:31 AM.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyFIN View Post
    Fund not meant to you or anyone personally... What I meant was learn how to drive (a stick shift and a combo in general).
    Sorry if it came on strong but being a trucker myself I have a top priority on driving skills and proper equipment.
    You don't think that the guys on here can drive? Or that we haven't hauled before? Or that we haven't driven stick shifts? My very first tow vehicle when I was a contractor was a stick shift Mika. Heck, my second car was a stick. And my motorcycles too.

Clutches can get a little funny at a ramp.

This thread was about people's preferences. You have shared yours. Thank you.
    Thank you also for refraining from launching into yet another of your explanations of how you are the expert, regardless of topic. While I respect your right to your views, I would appreciate respecting them from a greater distance.

This thread was going pretty well and was an interesting conversation. I hope that the conversation continues despite the distraction. I have appreciated everybody's input.

You have me thinkin, Wayne.
    Warning: This post may contain language unsuitable for minors or math not suitable for liberal-arts majors.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tstuck View Post
    Who is the dealer that has those truck if you don't mind telling. We want to go to a 3/4 or 1 ton crew cab truck also since our 2004 1/2 ton suburban I think is pushing it's limits. We have a 2005 Baja 275 and the suburban pulls it fine as long as you take it easy going up hills. We have replaced the shocks which helps the rear from shaging to much. I know we are wanting to much in a low miles good shape truck that's doesn't cost a lot. We would like a white one if we can find one. Why is a DRW worse then a SRW? I would have thought the opposite thinking beater grip with the drw.
    pm sent.
    If you end up interested in something over here in my neighborhood... I'd be happy to take a first look for you to confirm that it is as nice in person as on the internet before you drive out.

Not sure about the low miles part, but in addition to the white one on here... Marc (Boatme) has a white dually with a checker flag theme and there are several white ones on autotrader within 100 miles of you.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by fund razor View Post
    You don't think that the guys on here can drive? Or that we haven't hauled before? Or that we haven't driven stick shifts? My very first tow vehicle when I was a contractor was a stick shift Mika. Heck, my second car was a stick. And my motorcycles too.

Clutches can get a little funny at a ramp.
    Letīs just say Iīve observed some of your driving styles.
    Maybe I have also been influened by one guy who lived in Germany for a period and listened to him about general driving skills, in Florida Terrible IMO nowadays, not so 15 yrs ago or so.
    And definitely not that bad 25 yrs ago in Tri-States ( Cincy area).

If you say clutches can get funny at the ramp whoīs to blame ?
    I mean they can get funny on uphill start too if you donīt know what youīre doing and so can autos while loosing traction...

Ramp is a Ramp if itīs on a construction or boat ramp. Both are slippery both need attention and skill with a stick and Iīve run dumpers and Bulkers since 1985 at 140K + totals constantly.
    You obviously represent the upper echelon of driving skills over there, and Iīm not going into how far it stacks up without further knowledge and that wasnīt my intent either.

Over and out.
    Last edited by MikeyFIN; 12-13-2009 at 09:31 AM.

9. Collapse Details

fund razor thanks I'll keep that in mind if I find something. I'll probably wait now until spring and start checking again since winter time it seems like prices go up. Best of luck in finding one or working out a deal.

10. Collapse Details

Fond du Lac, WI Cheeseheads & Kiekhaefer Scarab KV Miami Vice LTD Formally Snap-On Tools Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarab KV View Post
    That's a sharp look'n truck John. Did the guy ever drive it? Pretty low miles for a dually that old. They usually get the miles racked up fast. When you start look'n at duallies, forget anything you knew out side that market. They're a specialty vehicle that bring good money, but also hold they're value much longer. With the 4 x 4 he's gonna get top buck go'n into snow season and looks like it's got a package too. If you're not plan'n on towing all over the country every time you splash, I wouldn't worry about it being a gasser. All mine were GM with 454's and never had problems. My first dually is still run'n around our town pull'n trailers for a landscaping company. Close to 400,000 miles on it now and Paul still hasn't gone into the motor yet.
    Wish I was ready for one. I'd be ask'n where to see it.
    BTW John...just as a reference. A friend of mine had a 99 with a Monroe package. Pretty much same set up as the Red truck. He paid 40K for it new.
    I don't think 14K for this one is a bad asking price for the milage. Did I read earlier that you were gonna be paying cash? Go in there with cash and no trade, you might be able to get him to 13K. I doubt he'd go any lower with the 4x4, condition and milage, but it won't hurt to try. I'd be willing to bet he's getting a lot of activity on it.

11. Collapse Details

Hey Fund your post count is 4544, maybe that's a hint
    Run until it sounds expensive

12. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BBB725 View Post
    So that would be a 454 4x4 ??????
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

13. Collapse Details

Fond du Lac, WI Cheeseheads & Kiekhaefer Scarab KV Miami Vice LTD Formally Snap-On Tools Canada
    That seals it. How can you argue with that?

14. Collapse Details

I don't think that I would have noticed.
    Maybe it is a hint. Another hint would be a 2k price drop.

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Scarab KV View Post
    That seals it. How can you argue with that?
    Tea leaves, Tarot cards, post counts. Whatever works.

16. Collapse Details

Fund,

I would carefully check the GCWR and towing capacity of a 2000 w/ a 454. That looks like a really sweet rig, but IIRC, that generation of GM trucks had towing capacity and GCWR that were rated quite low. It might not affect the legality of your current package, but when you buy a 36, you will need another truck to be legal. Or, when you want to sell the truck down the road, it may be a more difficult sale if the newer SRW and DRW truck have 2-3k# more legal capacity. Just something to think about.

Make sure you check the bottom lips of the doors of whatever you buy if you buy from up here. I have seen a lot of trucks that are rusted to hell.

17. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by BGIII View Post
    Fund,

I would carefully check the GCWR and towing capacity of a 2000 w/ a 454. That looks like a really sweet rig, but IIRC, that generation of GM trucks had towing capacity and GCWR that were rated quite low. It might not affect the legality of your current package, but when you buy a 36, you will need another truck to be legal. Or, when you want to sell the truck down the road, it may be a more difficult sale if the newer SRW and DRW truck have 2-3k# more legal capacity. Just something to think about.

Make sure you check the bottom lips of the doors of whatever you buy if you buy from up here. I have seen a lot of trucks that are rusted to hell.
    Hi Bill.

Great advice. I have a cheat sheet that shows the ratings cross-referenced with the VIN numbers and it was a little lower than the newer trucks. You are exactly right that I would be ok now, but a bigger boat would push me over. I haven't called on that truck since I am not in a huge hurry with the boat in storage right now. There are a lot of trucks out there so I am being careful not to rush. My 1994 1500 GMC has the rust exactly where you describe.

18. Collapse Details

Fund..... BUY SOUTH!!!!!

I just flew to texas and got this..........

late 99 4x4 7.3 359,000 miles... runs absolutely perfect, trans is perfect, drove 1600 miles home and it looks like BRAND NEW and rides like BRAND NEW, never hit, factory paint...drives like 80,000 miles truck, roads down south do not tear up suspension as bad, and with the zero rust the truck will easily last me 10 yrs the way I take care of them, I also oil all rust areas to prevent... my 03 Explorer is perfect and it see ALOT of salt...

Trucks in Texas are at least 40% cheaper then north......I paid 8900 for mine, up north I could not even find a rust free 99-02 dually under 15,000....and I looked HARD... mileage does not scare me with any diesel unless it looks unkept.....

[B]Someone really liked this truck....
    Last edited by FULL FORCE; 12-20-2009 at 11:35 PM.
    35 Cigarette Mistress

19. Collapse Details

Oh yea... stick with diesel no matter what.. thye are easy to make alot of power easily..

And my other opinion... FORD... newer GM was "ok" but one thing that turned me off when looking for my fathers truck... pee pee tie rods and torsion bars...they may ride better but to me a HD truck should have a solid straight axle...

I will own nothing but Ford anyway...
    35 Cigarette Mistress

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by FULL FORCE View Post
    Fund..... BUY SOUTH!!!!!

I just flew to texas and got this..........

late 99 4x4 7.3 359,000 miles... runs absolutely perfect, trans is perfect, drove 1600 miles home and it looks like BRAND NEW and rides like BRAND NEW, never hit, factory paint...drives like 80,000 miles truck, roads down south do not tear up suspension as bad, and with the zero rust the truck will easily last me 10 yrs the way I take care of them, I also oil all rust areas to prevent... my 03 Explorer is perfect and it see ALOT of salt...

Trucks in Texas are at least 40% cheaper then north......I paid 8900 for mine, up north I could not even find a rust free 99-02 dually under 15,000....and I looked HARD... mileage does not scare me with any diesel unless it looks unkept.....

[B]Someone really liked this truck....
    Wow. I could stop and see Everett and then drive back north.
    I have time. I really don't need it until spring. I just thought it would be nice to drive in the winter, depending on what I got.
    So... how did you handle the money? Did you take cash, or did you arrange for a transfer? The last out of state purchase I made, I sort of knew the guy from OSO, so I had it set up to make a wire transfer upon my call back to the bank to say that I was buying it.