Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by showtime83 View Post
    ive got a early 99 7.3 powerstroke crew cab long box srw, truck has around 180k hard miles on it, 4 inch lift, 35's, the front and rear leafs are aftermarket from the lift, they have 11 springs total each corner, it rides hard, however it does not have that sag that most diesel's have in the front, you can take your hands off the wheel and it tracks straight. however because of the wide tires it pulls if its in the truck ruts. the eninge is far from stock. my dad has a 04 crew cab long box, srw, but with the v-10, he uses his truck to tow a mile down to the gas station and put in and take out at the ramp, all within a mile, he choose the v-10 over diesel, for intial cost, not using the truck often enough to justify the fuel costs and more so, the maintance. the maintance is huge on my diesel compared to the gas, not lets talk other things on the diesel, the cost of a water pump, very expensive, injectors, the HPOP, 2 batteries, 99-04 ford diesels are hard on balljoints, wheel bearings. my dad went from a diesel to gas, his experience with his first 7.3 was great, but the overall costs for not using the truck hauling everyday was not worth it. i think if all your doing is 2 or 3 trips, and a mile or two to the ramp, i would get the gassser knowing what i know now. cant really beat the v-10 excursion or the gmc with 8.1.
    Well stated. I try and convey this all the time.

I bought an 01 2500 with the 8.1L for a little more than an injector job on diesel would cost....well maybe a bit more. I'll drive it short distances to work in winter, and the occaisonal trip. At most a few k miles a year. A big block or 6 liter will run for well over 200K miles as well, ask anyone running fleets with these motors. If you aren't putting large miles on the truck, you will never pay back the milage savings, and it only gets worse after adding up the maintenance costs.

The 6.0 won't pull hard, but I'd put my big block up against any 01 diesel in stock form.

2. Collapse Details

So as far as gassers go... people like the V10 ford and the 8.1 GM?
    Warning: This post may contain language unsuitable for minors or math not suitable for liberal-arts majors.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by fund razor View Post
    So as far as gassers go... people like the V10 ford and the 8.1 GM?
    Can't speak on the V10, but the big block is completely different than the 6.0 GM motor. Just be aware you will burn some gas.

4. Collapse Details

Registered
    Not that there's anything "wrong" with the V10 as compared to the 496...

But Raylar makes goodies for the 8.1L....

If you get it in an SUV (Suburban/Yukon XL/Avanlanche) it will come with the 4L85E trans, and in a pickup it will have the Allison bolted to it. While the motor might not be in production anymore, there will be plenty of parts to keep you going for a long time. I have to believe SUVs/trucks with the 8.1L are dirt cheap these days.

5. Collapse Details

$9k and she's yours...over $8k of new parts
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dually2.jpg  

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by sledge View Post
    Not that there's anything "wrong" with the V10 as compared to the 496...

But Raylar makes goodies for the 8.1L....

If you get it in an SUV (Suburban/Yukon XL/Avanlanche) it will come with the 4L85E trans, and in a pickup it will have the Allison bolted to it. While the motor might not be in production anymore, there will be plenty of parts to keep you going for a long time. I have to believe SUVs/trucks with the 8.1L are dirt cheap these days.
    As I have moved through this thought process, I have gone back and forth on SUVs a couple of times but I keep coming back to a truck.
    I found a 9year old 3500 1 ton with a crew cab, leather interior and the big block. Less than 30k original miles for around 14.
    Warning: This post may contain language unsuitable for minors or math not suitable for liberal-arts majors.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by fantastixvoyage View Post
    $9k and she's yours...over $8k of new parts
    Was kind of holding out for a crew cab. But I just noticed that you are dam near local to me. Just curious... how many miles and which engine?

8. Collapse Details

if you are going to drive it in winter be aware DRW are worse on snow and ice than SRW, ive had both and live in Michigan. i tow a lot of equipment around for work and i while a dually does tow a little better, its not a huge difference, and daily driving is much better in a SRW. i have an 05 Chevy Duramax crew cab, 97k miles ive been driving but ive been thinking about getting a newer one.

9. Collapse Details

Registered
    for around 14.
    Probably about $4-5k more than you should pay IMHO. I see that Rob didn't reply to this thread but he pulls his Tiger with a crew cab dually with the 496...pulled it all the way from MD to FL a couple years ago for the Bimini race. Absolutely nothing wrong with the pickup truck...especially if you find an LT - leather,power, heated seats.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by sledge View Post
    Probably about $4-5k more than you should pay IMHO. I see that Rob didn't reply to this thread but he pulls his Tiger with a crew cab dually with the 496...pulled it all the way from MD to FL a couple years ago for the Bimini race. Absolutely nothing wrong with the pickup truck...especially if you find an LT - leather,power, heated seats.
    Agreed on price. I went and saw it last night and it is very nice... 27,000 original miles. and it's an LT. Nearly perfect.
    But I ain't paying 14k for a 9 year old truck. When the guy came out and tried to talk to me I told him that I had just stopped by to see it in person, now I was going home to do some research on what the pricing should really be. He said ok, call us if you want to make an offer. It was like 9 degrees out, so it was a short conversation.
    They had a lot of 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. This was the oldest one on the lot being a 2000.
    Oh... and it has the 7.4 liter 454.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gmc 3500.jpg  

11. Collapse Details

Oddly... nada said 13,500. Must be the low miles.

12. Collapse Details

looks like 4wd??

13. Collapse Details

About right- they are always on the high side from what I've read.

14. Collapse Details

Who is the dealer that has those truck if you don't mind telling. We want to go to a 3/4 or 1 ton crew cab truck also since our 2004 1/2 ton suburban I think is pushing it's limits. We have a 2005 Baja 275 and the suburban pulls it fine as long as you take it easy going up hills. We have replaced the shocks which helps the rear from shaging to much. I know we are wanting to much in a low miles good shape truck that's doesn't cost a lot. We would like a white one if we can find one. Why is a DRW worse then a SRW? I would have thought the opposite thinking beater grip with the drw.

15. Collapse Details

Fund - I had the 6.5 TD in that truck (mine was a Chevy). Make sure it has discs on all four sides. Mine didn't and it was a handful at best looking back on it.

In my opinion GM was a little behind ford in their styling both in and out because the Fords from 99+ were more updated both inside and out versus that style of GM truck. The comparison in towing and styling from that truck to my 2000 F350 was a WORLD of difference in my opinion.....

16. Collapse Details

I've had a 2003 Chevy Silverado (1500) and a 1996 suburban (1500 also) and the brakes are terrible. I actually brought the '03 to a friend that does work on heavy equipment and HD trucks to look at it and he said they're all like that. He even swapped out a newer GMC 2500 series for an f-350. I believe he mentioned something regarding the master cylinder not being adequate for the braking required on their trucks.

17. Collapse Details

I've had a 1993 GMC 1500 since 1997. Bought it with 30,000 miles and have 130,000 now. Towed a 6000 lb boat up the Chicago Skyway bridge with it. And down the other side. No problems like lack of brakes. I did have a brake line failure that took out the rears. The line was replaced. We have salt here. It happens. My 93 GMC truck would go cross country right now. Just gas up. Even put a set of tires on it last month.

I would buy a GMC or a Ford.

18. Collapse Details

Fond du Lac, WI Cheeseheads & Kiekhaefer Scarab KV Miami Vice LTD Formally Snap-On Tools Canada
    Agreed on price. I went and saw it last night and it is very nice... 27,000 original miles. and it's an LT. Nearly perfect.
    But I ain't paying 14k for a 9 year old truck. When the guy came out and tried to talk to me I told him that I had just stopped by to see it in person, now I was going home to do some research on what the pricing should really be. He said ok, call us if you want to make an offer. It was like 9 degrees out, so it was a short conversation.
    They had a lot of 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. This was the oldest one on the lot being a 2000.
    Oh... and it has the 7.4 liter 454.
    That's a sharp look'n truck John. Did the guy ever drive it? Pretty low miles for a dually that old. They usually get the miles racked up fast. When you start look'n at duallies, forget anything you knew out side that market. They're a specialty vehicle that bring good money, but also hold they're value much longer. With the 4 x 4 he's gonna get top buck go'n into snow season and looks like it's got a package too. If you're not plan'n on towing all over the country every time you splash, I wouldn't worry about it being a gasser. All mine were GM with 454's and never had problems. My first dually is still run'n around our town pull'n trailers for a landscaping company. Close to 400,000 miles on it now and Paul still hasn't gone into the motor yet.
    Wish I was ready for one. I'd be ask'n where to see it.

19. Collapse Details

Fond du Lac, WI Cheeseheads & Kiekhaefer Scarab KV Miami Vice LTD Formally Snap-On Tools Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by tstuck View Post
    Who is the dealer that has those truck if you don't mind telling. We want to go to a 3/4 or 1 ton crew cab truck also since our 2004 1/2 ton suburban I think is pushing it's limits. We have a 2005 Baja 275 and the suburban pulls it fine as long as you take it easy going up hills. We have replaced the shocks which helps the rear from shaging to much. I know we are wanting to much in a low miles good shape truck that's doesn't cost a lot. We would like a white one if we can find one. Why is a DRW worse then a SRW? I would have thought the opposite thinking beater grip with the drw.
    If you're running a wider tire on DRW trucks in deep snow, the snow has a tendacy to pile up ahead of the duals. With narrow tires the snow will disperse around the tires.
    IMHO it was never a problem. If the snow was deep enough, I was in 4 wheel drive anyway.

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by RLJ676 View Post

The 6.0 won't pull hard, but I'd put my big block up against any 01 diesel in stock form.
    I Wouldn´t...
    Take on Scanias 620 hp V8
    Offshore Racing wasn´t designed to be a spectator sport, it's for people or companies with's lots of money to push the envelope of endurance technology and hopefully put a trophy on a mantle. It's man vs the elements, not like boats with like engines running in circles.