Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by BradB View Post
    I my self have been looking for a truck for towing the boat. Looking foor a f-250 or f-350 crew cab. Would like to find something with the 7.3 diesel but with that being a highly wanted engine the prices are through the roof. Been in the 15K price range, but everything I have found in that price range has been beat up and used hard or 150K+ miles. I have been looking for about 4 months now. Everything I have found thats decent is closer to the 20K range. I have been checking Autotrader and the local ford dealers everyday. Everyonce in a while you will find a nice one but they usually sell very quickly. Kinda hard for me to justify 20K on a truck right now but im still looking. Ill keeep an eye out for ya in my searches too!

brad
    I have to agree if you are willing to go 20K it will really open up the selection.

2. Collapse Details

I put over 100k miles on my 01 Chevy 2500 crew long bed w 8.1. Loved the truck lots of power with the 8.1. Most of the time was towing the 29 Outlaw. Now gas milage well forgetaboutit. Went w 3500 srw 07 classic w duramax now Even better. And tows the CIG!
    The only problem I had w the 8.1 was the trans case and it LIKED oil bout a qt per 1k miles.

3. Collapse Details

don't be too scared of a well maintained higher mileage diesel. There's 256,000 miles on the 2001 duramax in my driveway.

And FL does require brakes on all axles. It's a retarded law but it is what it is. I have overkill with a triple axle trailer (could run on 2 of the 3). I only have 4 wheels with brakes regardless of the law.

4. Collapse Details

Can I throw a dog into the hunt here as well? I might be looking to make a move into the truck end of things. Always drove small cars, but since I bought the Sunsation with my friend a couple years ago, I've been thinking I need a truck of my own for towing. Our 32 is 6200 pounds dry weight. Not sure what that would translate to with trailer, gas, etc. but here goes...would be a daily driver for me. Possibly up to a 60 mile round trip for work every day. Most of the trailering would be within 200 miles max. Would be financing and prefer '07 or better for interest rate reasons. Would be able to go up to about 20K-25K. Suggestions??

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan8886 View Post
    Can I throw a dog into the hunt here as well? I might be looking to make a move into the truck end of things. Always drove small cars, but since I bought the Sunsation with my friend a couple years ago, I've been thinking I need a truck of my own for towing. Our 32 is 6200 pounds dry weight. Not sure what that would translate to with trailer, gas, etc. but here goes...would be a daily driver for me. Possibly up to a 60 mile round trip for work every day. Most of the trailering would be within 200 miles max. Would be financing and prefer '07 or better for interest rate reasons. Would be able to go up to about 20K-25K. Suggestions??

With trailer and fuel you are pushing 10k lbs so at least a 3/4 ton Gm Ford or Dodge will be fine depends on what you like.Autotrader.com is a good way to feel out what stuff is going for.

6. Collapse Details

Yo Fundy... this be the ticket!!!

P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership

7. Collapse Details

You should be in the 8500-9k range for weight. Since it is going to be a daily driver with a 60 mile commute, I would go with 2500HD with a duramax. You can pick up 2005 and 2006 Crew cab's for under 25k with low/mid range miles on them. The 2005 and 2006's should also get better mileage since they were made before some of the newer gov't mandated emission stuff.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    You should be in the 8500-9k range for weight. Since it is going to be a daily driver with a 60 mile commute, I would go with 2500HD with a duramax. You can pick up 2005 and 2006 Crew cab's for under 25k with low/mid range miles on them. The 2005 and 2006's should also get better mileage since they were made before some of the newer gov't mandated emission stuff.
    I towed a 2000 32 Dominator with a 2004 2500HD DMax and it was like the boat wasn't even back there. Great choice.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    What would be considered "low/mid range miles" on a diesel?

10. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    100-150k
    Boat-less...

11. Collapse Details

If you plan to keep it for a while and put on a fair amount of miles, I'd get a D-max. For that price range for a 07 it will probably have some "high" miles, but shouldn't be an issue.

On the other hand, a gasser will pull the boat (but not as well) and cost way less up front. If you won't put close to 100K miles on it, it may not be worth the upgrade to the diesel. Basically you could get a nicer gasser or more base D-max, depending on your needs. All the diesel fanatics will scream otherwise, but for certain situations the gasser makes more sense (economically anyways).

12. Collapse Details
    Thumbs up
    Fund,

As you already know, I have the same boat that you do and I bought a used 07' Ford F-250 for towing it. Here in Puerto Rico, the terrain is far from flat and my truck does great with the weight. I have even towed my dad's 35' SeaVee with no problems. I should mention that here in P.R. there is no law mandating trailer brakes for boats, so mine don't actually work, jeje. (Please don't lecture me on safety). The truck can slow the boat down, no problem. The truck is also my daily driver. Good luck with your search!

Julian
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 250.jpg  

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by JCG View Post
    Fund,

As you already know, I have the same boat that you do and I bought a used 07' Ford F-250 for towing it. Here in Puerto Rico, the terrain is far from flat and my truck does great with the weight. I have even towed my dad's 35' SeaVee with no problems. I should mention that here in P.R. there is no law mandating trailer brakes for boats, so mine don't actually work, jeje. (Please don't lecture me on safety). The truck can slow the boat down, no problem. The truck is also my daily driver. Good luck with your search!

Julian
    The more I think about it, the more I lean toward replacing my 1/2 ton truck with a 3/4 ton rather than having a pickup and an suv. I have a parking lot full of vehicles already, it seems.

The rig looks good. Can't wait until I can use my boat, too.

Have a good one.
    Warning: This post may contain language unsuitable for minors or math not suitable for liberal-arts majors.

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by inbetween View Post
    There's a lot of f250s and f350s in that price range with the 7.3 powerstroke. 99-03 I believe. '99 F250/F350 diesel rated towing capacity is 11,000# (from the owners manual)
    Thats what I would buy. In fact, Im thinking of cutting my losses and dumping my piece of **** Silverado HD and buying a Ford. Ive always been a die hard GM truck fan but given all the problems Ive had with my current truck, I doubt if I'l ever buy another one. I have 2 7.3 super duties in the work fleet that get abused all day every day and have had minimal issues.

15. Collapse Details

I am a wholesaler and have pulled my 29 outlaw with many different trucks. If you go with a ford diesel don't get a f-250 with a 6.0. I used one this year and it sucked. The best ford I used was a 06 f-350 dually and a close second was the 01 Excursion with the 7.3. The only thing that I don't like about a dually is that I can't take it through a car wash and they are a pain to park in a parking lot. I still have the Excursion and am ready to sell it if anyone is interested. It has 123k miles and runs great. It is a 4X4 white Eddie Bauer edition. If anyone is interested I will sell for $15,500.

16. Collapse Details

When I did this search 2 years ago I looked just at GM and Ford, I gave up on Dodge because I replaced too many transmissions and a rear end, not to mention the doors rusting out. I ended up buying a v10 f250 extended cab. It pulls great and it does slow down a little more than a diesel counterpart pulling hills. It probably would keep up if you ran it. I did change mine over to headers since some of the exhaust stud broke. But I am in the same boat I drive it very little just in the snow and towing, but we did take it on vacation and the truck being sensible with your foot got a tick under 20mpg it gets 13 towing unless you hammer it.

17. Collapse Details

I have never heard of a v10 getting anywhere close to 20mpg. 10 maybe and it gets the same towing or not. If you really are getting close to 20 then I would never sell that truck. It is a one of a kind.

18. Collapse Details

What would be considered "low/mid range miles" on a diesel?
    I looked at a 2005 Chevy 2500HD CC with 50k on it and it was priced at 25k. That was about 6 months ago. I decided I would just keep my 01 8.1 for a while longer. It was about a 17k price difference with mine as a trade.

19. Collapse Details

My friend had a Ford V10 and said he got 15mpg empty and about 10mpg towing. I get about 13.5 empty and 8-8.5 towing 10k.

20. Collapse Details

Registered
    '01 Yukon XL 2500 w/8.1L 4wd 3.73s pulled the 311 just fine. Won't set speed records and won't pass as many gas stations without stopping. It'll work a bit harder than the diesel getting up the hills but otherwise it's a cush ride. Carry 5 people in comfort plus all the crap covered/locked in the back. Nice thing about the 3/4ton SUV is it still gets the AUTO 4WD button the 3/4T pickups don't get. Locks the front diff but the sensors detect slip and engage the transfer case.
    As for cargo room and weight carrying...I put 2000lbs of tile in the truck and then hooked up the 8000lb enclosed trailer...no weight dist hitch needed and the truck barely squatted. Put the 2nd row seats down and 14 sheets of plywood are no problem.

Not that I miss it or anything...