Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

My 2001 Chevy 2500HD CC pulls my 32 AT just fine is well under towing capacity. It's about 10k on the trailer. I have the 8.1/allison. I would go with a duramax or 8.1 gasser. The 6.0 does not have enough torque enough in the right rpm range for towing and you can't get the allison tranny with the 6.0.

2. Collapse Details

you need a nice 2008-10 Ford F-450!! John!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC07383.jpg  

3. Collapse Details

Fond du Lac, WI Cheeseheads & Kiekhaefer Scarab KV Miami Vice LTD Formally Snap-On Tools Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by WMF View Post
    Nice

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by fund razor View Post
    Perception impacts resale.

Already factored in mine stickered for 54gs got it for 40gs new

5. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    I spent 6 months looking for a white 15k truck. Ended up spending 19k for and 03 F250 4 door 4X4 7.3. I love it. Everything I found at 15 was all beat up.

It is my first diesel.. It is the only way to go.

I sat in a new loaded F350 in StClair... It was rreeaaalll nice at 55k

6. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JupiterSunsation View Post
    If he is buying used, then why not GM? Govt Motors has nothing to do with a 3-4 year old truck.....
    I know, but I have had GM's my entire life and am really pizzed. I totally expect them to drive Ford into bankruptcy even though they did things right. So, more Ford demand, better for Ford overall.
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

7. Collapse Details

The only reason ford did not have to file was the borrowed a ton of money while it was still available.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN View Post
    I spent 6 months looking for a white 15k truck. Ended up spending 19k for and 03 F250 4 door 4X4 7.3. I love it. Everything I found at 15 was all beat up.

It is my first diesel.. It is the only way to go.

I sat in a new loaded F350 in StClair... It was rreeaaalll nice at 55k

That was a sweet truck, but i chit purple twinkies when I saw the sticker...
    P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by WMF View Post
    You should color match the rig to the boat so people know that the boat was painted that way on purpose, and that it hasn't been vandalized. (messing with you Bill)

Anyway.... among the things in my price range, I could live with an Excursion, a 250SD, or a 350. Whatever I get will be "cab heavy," I already have a 1/2 ton pickup for Saturday chores and Home Depot runs. It's a 94 Sierra that has been paid off for many years....(125,000 miles) and I have maintained it well.
    Got it ready for winter this weekend. New tires, oil change, coolant check, wiper blades and a wash.
    This is probably an argument for the Excursion or at least a crew cab.
    Warning: This post may contain language unsuitable for minors or math not suitable for liberal-arts majors.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by phragle View Post
    That was a sweet truck, but i chit purple twinkies when I saw the sticker...
    If you had eaten purple twinkies within 4-6 hours prior to the event, you should be ok. If not... get checked.
    Warning: This post may contain language unsuitable for minors or math not suitable for liberal-arts majors.

11. Collapse Details

Fond du Lac, WI Cheeseheads & Kiekhaefer Scarab KV Miami Vice LTD Formally Snap-On Tools Canada
    You should color match the rig to the boat so people know that the boat was painted that way on purpose, and that it hasn't been vandalized. (messing with you Bill)

Anyway.... among the things in my price range, I could live with an Excursion, a 250SD, or a 350. Whatever I get will be "cab heavy," I already have a 1/2 ton pickup for Saturday chores and Home Depot runs. It's a 94 Sierra that has been paid off for many years....(125,000 miles) and I have maintained it well.
    Got it ready for winter this weekend. New tires, oil change, coolant check, wiper blades and a wash.
    This is probably an argument for the Excursion or at least a crew cab.
    Longer the wheel base, better the ride and less prone to a jack knife.

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Scarab KV View Post
    Longer the wheel base, better the ride and less prone to a jack knife.
    But.... harder to manuever backing... no??

13. Collapse Details

Not really. May not follow aroud as quick as a shorter truck, but if you're in a tight place a small pull ahead will straighten it out quicker. Keep in mind with a longer trailer like yours, you won't be chasing it like a shorter trailer.

14. Collapse Details

I use my Crew cab short bed F250 as a daily driver (at least in the winter) and maneuverability is not an issue. Just can't pull into parking spots, backing in is easier and also easier to get out that way too.

The GM trucks seem to have a better turning radius than the Fords.

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    My 2001 Chevy 2500HD CC pulls my 32 AT just fine is well under towing capacity. It's about 10k on the trailer. I have the 8.1/allison. I would go with a duramax or 8.1 gasser. The 6.0 does not have enough torque enough in the right rpm range for towing and you can't get the allison tranny with the 6.0.
    I agree, and have the same truck. If you don't drive a ton in the truck and don't need the better milage, I'd recommend the big block over a similar diesel to save a lot of cash up front, and still be able pull pretty heavy.

I had 2 6.0's (never towed with them though) and they did not feel stout like my 8.1 does.

As to resale concerns because of "government motors".... GM gained sales year over year and outperformed the industry, so it appears the public on the whole doesn't share the extremist views some do which would hurt resale in a few years.

16. Collapse Details

How many miles per year will you put on this truck? I would personally not risk the expense of diesel repairs if you are only using this truck 2-3 thousand miles per year. I say this because the only $15,000 diesels I see are well used and high mileage and major diesel repairs like injectors or fuel pumps can be very expensive. If you are going to park it in the driveway and use it 10 times a year, I would buy a 2003 or newer 8.1L 2500 Yukon or Suburban or a 2005 Excursion w/ a V10. I know there are plenty of nice GM's around for under 15k, not so sure about the Fords. If Ford is your gig, I would want an 05 Excursion with the newer V10, the new suspension and the updated styling. The big SUV's are great in the snow due to their balance and weight and are also great for road trips without the boat. Even though they don't haul bark real well, you can haul a lot of chit in them and keep it all locked up and hidden from sight behind the dark glass. On the other hand, if you are going to buy something and drive it everyday, I would pony up for a diesel Excursion. It will be a lot more than 15K for a nice one, but what a sweet ride they are. If they made one with a 12,000# rating, I'd probably have one in the garage right now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1010102.jpg  

17. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by RLJ676 View Post
    I agree, and have the same truck. If you don't drive a ton in the truck and don't need the better milage, I'd recommend the big block over a similar diesel to save a lot of cash up front, and still be able pull pretty heavy.

I had 2 6.0's (never towed with them though) and they did not feel stout like my 8.1 does.

As to resale concerns because of "government motors".... GM gained sales year over year and outperformed the industry, so it appears the public on the whole doesn't share the extremist views some do which would hurt resale in a few years.
    Understood. But "extremist?"

I was one of those shouting the rally cries of "Cadillac CTS!!! Malibu!!" a couple of years back when these new models came on the market. Fast forward and the Camaro makes me suspicious. I am just nervous about GM's health. I sure would never wish bad things for them. Besides.... I'm in the car belt and a bunch of friends work there. Extremist is those crazy bastages towing with Nissans.
    Two out of three of my current vehicles are GMs, and they are not for sale.

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by BGIII View Post
    How many miles per year will you put on this truck? I would personally not risk the expense of diesel repairs if you are only using this truck 2-3 thousand miles per year. I say this because the only $15,000 diesels I see are well used and high mileage and major diesel repairs like injectors or fuel pumps can be very expensive. If you are going to park it in the driveway and use it 10 times a year, I would buy a 2003 or newer 8.1L 2500 Yukon or Suburban or a 2005 Excursion w/ a V10. I know there are plenty of nice GM's around for under 15k, not so sure about the Fords. If Ford is your gig, I would want an 05 Excursion with the newer V10, the new suspension and the updated styling. The big SUV's are great in the snow due to their balance and weight and are also great for road trips without the boat. Even though they don't haul bark real well, you can haul a lot of chit in them and keep it all locked up and hidden from sight behind the dark glass. On the other hand, if you are going to buy something and drive it everyday, I would pony up for a diesel Excursion. It will be a lot more than 15K for a nice one, but what a sweet ride they are. If they made one with a 12,000# rating, I'd probably have one in the garage right now.
    Some great points here. The new truck/suv would be for towing and extreme winter weather. Maybe 5,000 miles per year max. And that's figuring for poker runs and trips. I searched for diesel excursions and they were very rare. (Had to expand out more than 100 miles to pick just one up in a search) I did see plenty of V10s. (20 within 50 miles)
    I have a "bark hauler." (Old GMC half-ton)

19. Collapse Details

Just make sure if you go v10 get a 05+ with the 3 valve motor. The older 2 valve v10's are nothing impressive.

20. Collapse Details

I my self have been looking for a truck for towing the boat. Looking foor a f-250 or f-350 crew cab. Would like to find something with the 7.3 diesel but with that being a highly wanted engine the prices are through the roof. Been in the 15K price range, but everything I have found in that price range has been beat up and used hard or 150K+ miles. I have been looking for about 4 months now. Everything I have found thats decent is closer to the 20K range. I have been checking Autotrader and the local ford dealers everyday. Everyonce in a while you will find a nice one but they usually sell very quickly. Kinda hard for me to justify 20K on a truck right now but im still looking. Ill keeep an eye out for ya in my searches too!

brad