Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

I cut that out of this ad.. which they obviously cut from GM somewhere.

http://www.gibsontruckworld.com/cert...448e392907.htm

2. Collapse Details

Good call Sean. Thanks.

I called my guy and when I told him it was more like 7,000 (which was my guess when I dropped it off) he decided that it is now the 167 inch wheelbase that's the problem... so I think that he is just scared of the truck. I told him that if it's 11,400... then I had better not get a flat because the jack from GMC won't lift it.

I'll take it someplace else.

Thanks again Sean.
    Warning: This post may contain language unsuitable for minors or math not suitable for liberal-arts majors.

3. Collapse Details

So... let's talk about fluid colors. The stuff that fell into my pan was sort of a light orange. At first, I thought it was coolant, because it was not all that slippery. Sort of more viscous than tranny fluid. Less slippery than I remember tranny fluid. The coolant looks similar in color. I know that old school ATF is red. But the tranny fluid in the mercedes was not. Could it be the tranny fluid that Bill warned about?

(The lower radiator hose is still shot)
    Warning: This post may contain language unsuitable for minors or math not suitable for liberal-arts majors.

4. Collapse Details

It doesn't weigh 11K plus. More like 8500. Drive it on a scale.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by fund razor View Post
    So... let's talk about fluid colors. The stuff that fell into my pan was sort of a light orange. At first, I thought it was coolant, because it was not all that slippery. Sort of more viscous than tranny fluid. Less slippery than I remember tranny fluid. The coolant looks similar in color. I know that old school ATF is red. But the tranny fluid in the mercedes was not. Could it be the tranny fluid that Bill warned about?

(The lower radiator hose is still shot)
    The Allison "takes" a special tranny fluid, dex-something or other, just like the dex-cool anti-freeze.

I'm not sure if you can swap it for something else, I just stuck with what's recommended, only a little more dough.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by RLJ676 View Post
    The Allison "takes" a special tranny fluid, dex-something or other, just like the dex-cool anti-freeze.

I'm not sure if you can swap it for something else, I just stuck with what's recommended, only a little more dough.
    Not asking about switching. Was asking if the light orange colored fluid could have been that "dex something or other atf," rather than the dex-cool.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    It doesn't weigh 11K plus. More like 8500. Drive it on a scale.
    Maybe even less than 8500. I'll weigh it at some point, in the meantime I have found someone who isn't afraid to lift it.

8. Collapse Details

And there was a difference from the 5-speed allys and the 6 speed allys. The Amsoil website can help on this subject.

9. Collapse Details

Maybe even less than 8500. I'll weigh it at some point, in the meantime I have found someone who isn't afraid to lift it.

my crew cab 2500 Dmax is a little over 7K if that helps on your weight.

10. Collapse Details

Not asking about switching. Was asking if the light orange colored fluid could have been that "dex something or other atf," rather than the dex-cool.

When I have found my tranny cooler lines leaking, it was not red, I am going to say maybe more of a pink. BUT, I am a little color blind with reds, so there may have been an orange to it. I do know it was not as red as the fluid out of the bottle.

11. Collapse Details

TransSynd
    does Santa's sleigh have a blower ?

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Sean H View Post
    I would say a crew cab dually 4x4 diesel is less than 8k with everyday stuff in it.
    2006 F350 6.0 SRW King Ranch long bed full of fuel was within 100LBS of 8K LBS on 4-6 different times. It was all with the same scale so the scale could be off but if it is, I doubt it is by much. Local commerical joint the cops love to hate so he plays by the rules.

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by BUIZILLA View Post
    TransSynd
    Correct and it looks just as red as Dexron III or VI. GM does not fill the Allison with TransSynd at the factory, though. Too expensive.

14. Collapse Details

I guess I will find out tomorrow one way or another. I just would have expected a tranny fluid to be slicker to the touch, and it's sort of orange.
    I found a local guy who is not scared to lift the truck. Referral from a friend. Whatever it is... it will be fixed tomorrow.
    I did my last set of tranny lines myself, but I don't feel like laying under this sob on my ice covered driveway, and I can't get much of it inside the garage.

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    I have a lot of reading to do.

16. Collapse Details

I have a lot of reading to do.

It can get really expensive there too!!! Don"t ask how I know!! My wife hates when I visit since I normally end up buying something!!!! lmao

17. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    It can get really expensive there too!!! Don"t ask how I know!! My wife hates when I visit since I normally end up buying something!!!! lmao
    You're not kidding!

I recommend not looking in the wheels or suspension or performance or...sections, as you'll see things you have to have.

18. Collapse Details

No doubt Bill. No doubt.

Anyway.... thanks for all the input and the time that you put into this. I really appreciate it. And also the other guys who took an interest. It worked out like a bunch of older brothers with the same truck. It's the best of what these forums are for.

Cheers.

19. Collapse Details

No doubt Bill. No doubt.

Anyway.... thanks for all the input and the time that you put into this. I really appreciate it. And also the other guys who took an interest. It worked out like a bunch of older brothers with the same truck. It's the best of what these forums are for.

Cheers.

Anytime!!!I get frustrated with some of the stupid problems I had had with my truck, but I really do love it!!!!! So, I try and pass on what I have learned!! I just wish it was a dually!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC02262.jpg  

20. Collapse Details

So nobody guessed the water pump to block gasket?

Just got a call from my new mechanic who lifted the truck up, took the skid plate off and diagnosed the water pump gasket leak.

And then said "And it's out of my league."

So he knows a good duramax tech that he is referring me to, and I only owe him a case of Mich light.
    So Monday, I meet my new, new mechanic.
    So far... they all love the truck... and none of them will touch it.