Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by fund razor View Post
    I just took it up to Lowe's for furnace filters. Temp: 4 degrees.

It didn't like 4 degrees very much, for the first few minutes.
    I let it ilde a while before I pulled out.
    If you are going to leave it out in those temps, I would plug it in (or get a plug in heater installed). Helps dramatically.

2. Collapse Details

I have been reading up on the 6600 duramax. Has a 1000 watt grid heater in the intake to help with smokey idle in the first few minutes of cold operation, triggered by the engine controller.
    Warning: This post may contain language unsuitable for minors or math not suitable for liberal-arts majors.

3. Collapse Details

I like my 07 Classic CC long bed SRW. Pulls the CIG very good. But its in the warm shop til this chit melts!!
    I am driving the ML 500 and it handles it great.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Sean H View Post
    If you are going to leave it out in those temps, I would plug it in (or get a plug in heater installed). Helps dramatically.
    Yea, Fund.... plug it in or get a block heater if it does not have it, i always plug mine in under 40 degrees, it will start oj not plugged in but I can't see the cold oil being good on a diesel startup, always let a diesel run for 10-15 min before driving if you can, helps them live long!!!

As far as the badge...heat gun it off and use 3M two sided tape and stick it back on!
    35 Cigarette Mistress

5. Collapse Details

Contributor
    Thank you everyone who made suggestions. I ended up buying the 2006 GMC 3500 dually, 6.6 Duramax, leather, XLT, bose, onstar, brake controller, 95,000 miles.

It's in my driveway now. Just drove it 2.5 hours and boy, did people get the phuck out of my way.
    Very nice. Congrats.

Same color as the 99 1500 sittin in my driveway.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by FULL FORCE View Post
    Yea, Fund.... plug it in or get a block heater if it does not have it, i always plug mine in under 40 degrees, it will start oj not plugged in but I can't see the cold oil being good on a diesel startup, always let a diesel run for 10-15 min before driving if you can, helps them live long!!!

As far as the badge...heat gun it off and use 3M two sided tape and stick it back on!
    I'm going to look close for a heater plug today. I am taking it up to a buddy with a nearby shop and have him check all the fluids, do an oil change, and let the truck come up to room temp. I think it has summer duty washer fluid frozen in the line. No blue juice happening.

In the meantime, I have been good about letting it idle and not trying to just take off.
    Warning: This post may contain language unsuitable for minors or math not suitable for liberal-arts majors.

7. Collapse Details

Don't forget to change transefer case fluid!!

I was doing maintainence on mine last night, i usually change all fluids, I think my transfer case had original transfer case fluid with 360K it was black! looks good now!!

rear diff will be next service...

Some people just drive trucks and never service those kinds of things...
    35 Cigarette Mistress

8. Collapse Details

Thanks Tim. I guess red is my truck color. This is the third red GMC truck since 1986. Although it's burgundy. First diesel. Getting used to that quickly. Boy, 1 ton diesel trucks don't "coast" do they?
    I'm on my 4th if you still consider the Avalanche a truck, and it is a half ton. (hauled half a cord of firewood today, so I still consider it a truck).
    '94 ext. cab 1500 Silverado. Blue over Silver 2wd
    2000 ext. cab 3500 GMC, All white, 4wd
    '95 standard cab 1500 Silverado, Burgundy, 2wd (I hated the color, but it was a great truck!)
    and now the Av.

All mine have been gasser's, I don't know anything about diesels (not that I know that much about gasser's either).
    "Keep the bottle on the bar Ira, I won't be long".

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by FULL FORCE View Post
    Is that safe???

When i had a off road truck years ago, I was told not to jack them to raise it, puts more stress on them...????

I did have one fail in the past and was told it was from jacking it up....(Nissan P/U)
    Nah, it's no additional stress. It just re-indexes them which lifts it. It doesn't add additional torque on them or anything. If you go up too high you lose some droop which can affect ride, but a little shouldn't hurt the ride at all. With the heavy diesel powertrain they can droop a little making the nose low look exaggerated.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Buoy View Post
    I'm on my 4th if you still consider the Avalanche a truck, and it is a half ton. (hauled half a cord of firewood today, so I still consider it a truck).
    '94 ext. cab 1500 Silverado. Blue over Silver 2wd
    2000 ext. cab 3500 GMC, All white, 4wd
    '95 standard cab 1500 Silverado, Burgundy, 2wd (I hated the color, but it was a great truck!)
    and now the Av.

All mine have been gasser's, I don't know anything about diesels (not that I know that much about gasser's either).
    I consider an Avalance a smallish SUV.
    But two days with a 1 ton changes you.
    (just screwing with you Tim.)

I have decided to sell my 1/2 ton. The driveway is too crowded. It will be a great deal for somebody. I have maintenance records going back to 1997. Brakes including new brake lines last year, a new set of tires last fall, a new water pump and a flush and fill two weeks ago. Near perfect interior. Hard tonneau matches the truck. Extended cab. 5.0 gas, 125k miles. The tailgate hinge needs repair on one side. Runs great. Wish I knew somebody that needed a decent half ton. Always been a great truck, or I wouldn't have replaced it essentially the same truck, just bigger. Heck. Maybe I should keep it and park it on the street. I could jump in that truck and drive to Tim's house non-stop. No worries.

11. Collapse Details

The Sierra badge on the tailgate droops. What's the best way to remove and re-glue it so that it doesn't droop? Drives me nuts.
    Nice looking truck. Just always remember, diesels love maintenance.

Go find a local diesel repair shop and buy a couple cases of Stanadyne fuel additive. Part #38565. Put one in and also a quart of ATF with every fillup and your engine will ove you for it. You're replacing all the goodies the EPA pulled out.

On the badge, go to an auto body supply- they'll have this 3M double-sided adhesive tape. It's less than 1/16" thick and it's made for affixing emblems to cars. It's about 3/8" wide so you'll have to do it in parallel strips then trim back with a razor. It's unbelievably sticky and that makes it a mildly frustrating task.

12. Collapse Details

Fund... just take the Sierra badge off, and leave it off... use lighter fluid to clean off the glue..

tailgate looks cleaner..

Dmax's LOVE Stanadyne mouse milk... just this week I sold 2 55 gal drums, 25 5 gal pails, 25 cases of 1/2 gallons, 45 cases of pints... that's a LOT of go juice..

use a half pint to 30 gal each fillup... using a whole pint is kinda wasteful, especially if the ATF is used.. just IMO
    does Santa's sleigh have a blower ?

13. Collapse Details

Seriously... pour a quart of automatic transmission fluid into the diesel tank with every fill up???

14. Collapse Details

Should I start with the ATF today, even if I can't get the Stanadyne for a few days?

15. Collapse Details

use one or the other right now, but DO something..
    does Santa's sleigh have a blower ?

16. Collapse Details

Ok. Thanks. I've got three quarters of a tank. I'll pour in a quart of ATF and top it off.

17. Collapse Details

Hmm. Some folks caution against it.

"Just a warning on using ATF in your diesel fuel. The modern day ATF's have friction modifiers that are not made to burn. ATF can also lead to premature failure of the injection system. Using ATF is from the old days with mechanical injection systems and ATF didn't have the additives and modifiers like todays ATF."

Read more: http://www.dieselbombers.com/alterna...#ixzz0eCtLH6j0

18. Collapse Details

What about "Diesel 9-1-1?"

19. Collapse Details

I can get Diesel 9-1-1 at a nearby Tractor Supply.

20. Collapse Details

What about "Diesel 9-1-1?"
    NO!!!!!! That is only for when it already is jelled.All I use is anti Gel from Nov 15 thru March 15.In both the GMC and the International never had a problem.