Thread: Trailer hitch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Trailer hitch
    I'm in the process of building a new drop hitch. My other one hangs way out there. Is there a certain distance that it should stick out of the receiver?

2. Collapse Details

registered
    Just far enough that your trailer coupler won't interfere with anything.
    The shorter the distance the better - the smaller the moment arm, the less induced stress.

What do you mean by building? Are there not any available load-certified ones out there?
    I'd hate to find myself in an accident situation with a home-made hitch.

3. Collapse Details

If it broke, you'd probably have an issue with your insurance. If it was a few grand, they'd pay it and move on. If it were a big accident or a serious injury/fatality they'd most likely look to avoid writing a big check.

4. Collapse Details

I have a 6" lift and 37's and can't really find one that will adjust low enough. The one I have now is close but not far enough down. My Uncle is doing most of the fab work and it is almost the same as the one that I bought except for a few more holes to adjust it down lower. It is almost down and I'll post up some pictures when finished. I have towed some heavy equipment and it bent my receiver down a little and we thing that my current hitch sticking out so far was the reason for this and wanted to shorten the new one. So far we have come up with about 5"inches from the receiver

5. Collapse Details

There's a reason you can't find one low enough. Your truck is too high for what you want to do. But I know that doesn't help you. So you have two choices beyond a lower truck and the right hitch. The first would be to consult an engineer. The second would be to do some "Amish Engineering". By that, I mean build it so heavy that it has no potential for failure. if you're concerned about receiver horizontal length, it's not heavy enough.

I know this isn't what you started asking, but we don't wantto read about you in the obits. Ask Jeremy- he posted about a "custom" drawbar for his 46 Cig a few monts ago. Built for him by a professional. Frightening. I'm just glad he posted a pic.

6. Collapse Details

registered
    The simple fact is that there are prescribed DOT limits on drawbars and hitches, and that's the limiting factor in your search.

Even if you build the ultimate, indestructible receiver that's low enough, you have now increased the moment arm such that you could potentially be past the limits of your hitch and its mounting bolts.

7. Collapse Details

My Uncle goes WAY overboard on everything. Thanks for the input guys and I will post up the finished product when finished. I'll probably need a couple of you to help lift it!

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by CigDaze View Post
    The simple fact is that there are prescribed DOT limits on drawbars and hitches, and that's the limiting factor in your search.

Even if you build the ultimate, indestructible receiver that's low enough, you have now increased the moment arm such that you could potentially be past the limits of your hitch and its mounting bolts.
    There's the issue. You said you already bent your reciever from tongue weight on a long draw bar. Now your gonna extend the draw bar and have an even greater bending moment, but this time it will be from braking and accelerating ILO of tongue weight. I think you need to do something with your receiver least at the very.

I have no problem making a home made hitch if it is done right. I have built several myself, but I used to build the coupler pockets for locomotives (basically a locomotive receiver hitch) and I am an engineer.

9. Collapse Details

No Im not making it stick out farther I am going the other way, shortening it. The drop is what I am making longer and it will have a better gusset to make up for the longer drop. I bent it I believe hell for all I know it could have been that way from the factory, I think the arm coming out of the receiver is too long. I have never seen one sticking out his far. My thinking is that gives the trailer too much leverage so that is why I want it shorter

10. Collapse Details

registered
    You're thinking is along the right lines for sure. Shorter (in both directions) is preferred.

The distance out from the hitch affects how much load is transferred from toungue weight.

But more importantly, the distance down affects how much load is transferred from acceleration and braking - which will be at least an order of magnitude more than tongue weight will ever be and is the typical failure mode in hitch-related failures.

11. Collapse Details

Dan63- Your truck is still to tall. Your entire hitch will rip off if the bar doesn't break. I know you don't want to go back to a lower truck but with a 6 inch lift and 37 inch tires you are a good 8-10 inches higher than stock. If 5 inches doesn't do it than your asking for trouble.

What kind of truck and how big a boat?

Wannabe

12. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor glassdave's Avatar
    hey just jack up the trailer an put 37's on that to . . . . back to a standard hitch . . . problem solved
    Throttles- Cleveland Construction/Traffic Light Racing 377 Talon cat

13. Collapse Details

Your trailer must be extremely low. Even with my 8.5" lift and 38's I only had about 3" drop from the factory hitch for my trailer to sit level.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2008_0401boatride0031.jpg   New Sun2 009.jpg  

14. Collapse Details

The boat trailer is fine at the lowest setting I have now, it my enclosed trailer that is nose high, but not by alot.

The bar shouldn't break it is solid 2x2. It's only a 25 Outlaw. The truck is a Dodge 2500 CTD

The gusset I am making is going all the way down instead of just a couple inches down like the current one

15. Collapse Details

Not the best picture but you can see i'm not far off
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails truck and trailer (Small).jpg  

16. Collapse Details

How much vertical drop do you need? How heavy is the trailer?

17. Collapse Details

Check out the Diversi-tech adjustable billet hitchs. They have as much as 10" of drop. I have one and it's a great product. Not mine, but here's a pic...

18. Collapse Details

The one I have is 10" I was thinking another couple of inches so I made it 12. Not sure on the the trailer weight, it's not to awful heavy though

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by danh63 View Post
    it's not to awful heavy though
    It's at least 50% heavier than what you think. Everyone else's is.

Seriously, people grossly underestimate the total weight they're towing. It stems from the manufacturer's under-estimation of weight on the spec sheets. And goes downhill from there. Everyone should run their boat across a scale at least once. It's an eye-opener.

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Everyone should run their boat across a scale at least once. It's an eye-opener.
    Agree. I about pooped myself when I looked at the ticket.