Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Absolutely time for more updates. Looks like you have done some great work so far. You might want to put your piston question into the tech section so some of our tech guys can help out. The different payment levels are there for people that asked to contribute more, we are looking into changing the structure soon but no one will lose any privileges, in fact most will gain some
    Keep posting your progress, that's a great boat.

2. Collapse Details

Registered
    Sorry everyone for the lack of updates, for some reason it did not tell me there was any replies. hmmm.

Anyway, being in Ohio it has now become too cold to do anything else for the time being.

The engine bay is cleaned and prepped for paint, although, I'm sure I will need to prep again in the spring. I did manage to get some wiring mess cleaned up and my trailer completed. It now has fresh paint, lights, boards, etc. I will get busy in the spring. I will have the engine ready to drop in before its nice enough to go out though. No more missed boating for me!

Here are a few (crappy) pics to show the trailers progress.

3. Collapse Details

Registered
    I finally got some time (and cooperative weather) to work on the Formula. I am getting the bilge ready for paint. Today I got it all washed down and did a general assessment of how its going to go. Basically, it's going to be a ***** to do. But, it needs it so I will suck it up.

First to be worked on was the hatch. I got the hatch off and separated it from the sun pad. I got it all stripped of the hardware and sanded it down just enough to rough it up some. The product I am using is call Bilgekote by Interlux. This stuff is pretty easy to work with. I picked it because it is known for being VERY easy to work with, extremely durable, and can be applied virtually by any means you can think of. I rolled it on. I had read it lays down extremely well and boy did it. It looks like it was sprayed on. It covered great. I will probably go back and do one more coat, but I could easily get by with just one.

After that I started working on the bilge itself and did not get too far before dark came. More to come on this later.

Here are some pics. I know, not very exciting. But hey, it's progress.

The hatch on the boat. Obviously an old picture as that engine is long gone.

4. Collapse Details

I'm very impressed, that trailer really makes the package pop. I think that you should go with black bottom paint separated from the hull paint with dual platinum stripes - 3/4 inch lower with a 1/2 (APPROX.) separation then the 1/4 inch stripe above. You can always easily retouch bottom paint with a brush; I used to do it occasionally on my old 377 with black bottom paint as I would regularly beach the boat in gravelly sand. You've picked a great color scheme - black and platinum - as any color you may accent with will work beautifully. The old 202 that my brother and I redid was red with black bottom paint and looked good but not as good as your 206. Keep us posted. - Jeff
    People we meet in life are either a Blessing or a Lesson

5. Collapse Details

Glad to see that you're back at it. The winter's are tough when you can't boat AND you can't work on the boat!

6. Collapse Details

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by old377guy View Post
    I'm very impressed, that trailer really makes the package pop. I think that you should go with black bottom paint separated from the hull paint with dual platinum stripes - 3/4 inch lower with a 1/2 (APPROX.) separation then the 1/4 inch stripe above. You can always easily retouch bottom paint with a brush; I used to do it occasionally on my old 377 with black bottom paint as I would regularly beach the boat in gravelly sand. You've picked a great color scheme - black and platinum - as any color you may accent with will work beautifully. The old 202 that my brother and I redid was red with black bottom paint and looked good but not as good as your 206. Keep us posted. - Jeff
    Thanks for the suggestions. You are dead on for the same reason I left my bottom paint on. I am always beaching this thing and black paint would have been all jacked up after that. I didn't go for a white bottom because I think it would have ruined the look of the boat. I may lose a few MPH, but it's obviously not going the direction of a major racer.

7. Collapse Details

Registered
    I am pulling everything off of the walls instead of trying to trim and cut in around this stuff. I love this paint. It lays down perfectly flat and looks like it was sprayed on. It looks like it will be extremely durable and super easy to clean up.

I have one side done. I just need to remount everything and start on the other side. It's all a huge mess. I am cleaning up the wiring while I am in there and putting it all in wire loom.

Last edited by FormulaMatt; 04-06-2010 at 09:30 PM.

8. Collapse Details

Registered
    Here is the next side. You can see how much work there really is.

9. Collapse Details

Registered
    I am still trying to decide what to do with the actual bilge where the engine goes. It is kinda black now, but I'm not sure if I want to keep it black or make it gray too.

10. Collapse Details

Go gray all over and then just keep it clean, it will look good!
    35 Cigarette Mistress

11. Collapse Details

You're doing it the right way. Get everything out of the way, fill the holes, and start putting it back from scratch. It's twice the work, but yields ten times better results. Stay after it: the head-scratching work starts when you start putting the wiring and plumbing back in.

12. Collapse Details

Registered
    Yeah, it sucks because I want to be done but I really want it done the right way. I will get through it. I just can't wait until the new stroker is done and in here and I can actually enjoy it. I will always be tinkering with it and upgrading, but I want these major upgrades done.

13. Collapse Details

yeah, gray in the actual engine compartment - brighter and easier to work on. Keep up the great work and keep us posted. - Jeff

14. Collapse Details

Registered
    Some more work done. Don't mind the wiring mess. All of it is being cleaned up/replaced as I go. I am also putting it all in new wire loom.

15. Collapse Details

Registered
    Here is a close up of some of the routing. It still is a little congested on this side, but it is way better than it was and at least looks more organized I think.

16. Collapse Details

Registered
    Last one for today. I needed to get out of the bilge for a while, so I wired up the rest of my lights. Yes, I am obsessed with LED lighting on trailers and yes, my blackberry's camera sucks.

17. Collapse Details

great!

18. Collapse Details

Steady progress - That's the key. Keep up the good work. You'll be amazed by the before-and-after pictures once you get it finished!

Let me know if you need any sleeving and/or aluminum P-clips. I have a lot left over from my project, in a lots of sizes. The sleeving is even the flame-resistant stuff. Whatever I have is yours at my cost, plus postage.
    Boating Seriously

19. Collapse Details

Registered
    Slowly but surely.....

(sorry, my blackberrys camera sucks)

20. Collapse Details

most excellent!