Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    General Racing Question?
    Hello All-

For the past two years or so I have wanted to join you all there on the race coarse, now I am really gettting the itch really bad and just want to ask a few questions.
    I come from a racing background of Snowcross and was a mechanic on a few motocross/ enduro teams so I do know general racing. This was a lot of fun.

I know I would need to purchase a boat and get it ready for next year but I wanted to know which of the smaller HP classes is the most fun to be part of (SVL, SS, P2/P4)? It would be a family sport where either my wife or my father would be racing with me depending on the schedules. I see alot of disscussions about SVL but not much about the other classes? Any input from the racers would be great!

Thanks for all your help!
    Don

2. Collapse Details

Banned
    I think all classes are fun !!!!

Just up to u what kind of boats u like better !!
    Also is a budget thing.

I think the cheapest way is run the current P-5-4 classes with a single engine boat.
    But ,,others may think diffrent ?!

SVL,SS cat,open V ,cockpit V's ????? Its all fun.

PS,,u should come to KW and talk to the teams and see for yourself whats going on ,,SBI is probably best for u since your in FL.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DAREDEVIL View Post
    I think all classes are fun !!!!

Just up to u what kind of boats u like better !!

SVL,SS cat,open V ,cockpit V's ????? Its all fun.
    I would like to stick with a canopy boat for a little added safety.

4. Collapse Details

with the boats you have had, SS would fit you perfectly.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Sean H View Post
    with the boats you have had, SS would fit you perfectly.
    I do agree with you that the SS looks to be a good class but my only concern is that with SS is that a 2 and 3 year old boat does not look to be competitive with the front runners. So I would purchase a boat and in 2 years I would need to upgrade. An example is my current 2003 30 Motion. It is an ex race boat and is a good running boat but it wouldn't be competitive with today's SS boats....... In your personal option if someone built a new Motion, predator or (pick an brand) with a canopy would it be able to compete for the win against the new Doug Wright's?

6. Collapse Details

Could it be done? Yes. Would it be easier to start with a DW? Yes.

The dominate boats right now are 2 and 3 years old.

7. Collapse Details

Could it be done? Yes. Would it be easier to start with a DW? Yes.

The dominate boats right now are 2 and 3 years old.
    And they are the newest design of the 32 DW.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Maritime_eng View Post
    And they are the newest design of the 32 DW.
    Well, until KW.

9. Collapse Details

Well, until KW.
    Yep, and at that point that one will make it hard for the others to be competitive. Don't get me wrong I think it is amazing what technology is going into the new SS boats, it is just hard for someone like me who is just comming into the sport to justify jumping into the SS class knowing that no matter how well the boat is setup or how good of race I would run I couldn't be competitive. I don't want to race to just go around the track, I would (after many hours of seat time) like to be competitive.

So with that said, what about the P classes or SVL?

10. Collapse Details

Competitor / Charter Member imco offshore's Avatar
    my opinion would be if you have a budget your wanting to spend, pick a class that fits into your budget,,ss or svl , i thought i heard ryan beckley say his budget per race was (about) 5000 a race mine in svl is about 3000,, if your going to be new into offshore buy a proven product,,dont deal with a lot of r & d if you don,t have to, there are a lot of other things to consentrate on,,,later you can reinvent the wheel ,,lol good luck,, i would help you in any way i can, if you want a close class ,,,on any given day any svl out there can win,,,

11. Collapse Details

SVL...most bang for the buck. You can buy a competitve used boat for around 60-75k. You can run P4 or SVL safely and have a good time. A new SVL will set you back about 150k, by the time your done. A new SS is around 225.

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by SVL66 View Post
    SVL...most bang for the buck. You can buy a competitve used boat for around 60-75k. You can run P4 or SVL safely and have a good time. A new SVL will set you back about 150k, by the time your done. A new SS is around 225.
    Interesting....... And at the end of the day all we are looking to do is have fun, be competitive and meet some new friends. What is the boat of choice is SVL, phantom?

13. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor Dunbar 104's Avatar
    I had a ex race Motion 30 with 280s, and bought a SVL. Sometime I miss the outboards, but for racing it is hard to beat the versatiliy, saftey, and cost of a SVL. Knowing what I know now. I would not want to race my Motion with out a canopy, or race an open boat faster than 85 mph.

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Dunbar 104 View Post
    I had a ex race Motion 30 with 280s, and bought a SVL. Sometime I miss the outboards, but for racing it is hard to beat the versatiliy, saftey, and cost of a SVL. Knowing what I know now. I would not want to race my Motion with out a canopy, or race an open boat faster than 85 mph.
    Thanks for the info. Just for curiosity what do you miss about the outboards?

15. Collapse Details

SVL would be the vee alternative to SS. Another great class.

and in SS, don't confuse GB's 20 years or whatever of doing this with hull domianance. If DW never built a SS hull, GB would still be running up near the front. Ultimately, you have to beat the team, not the boat, in either class.

and the new DW coming out in KW, as it sits now, isn't legal in OSS, it's meant for Xcat.

A hull like Stihl, Anabolic, Miccosukee, etc will be competitive for years to come.

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Maritime_eng View Post
    Interesting....... And at the end of the day all we are looking to do is have fun, be competitive and meet some new friends. What is the boat of choice is SVL, phantom?

Phantom or Extreme ...Im partial to Phantom. Great running boat. I think the extremes chine walk a little more.

17. Collapse Details

There is a brand new phantom, unrigged, sitting at will's waiting for a new owner!

18. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    You are looking into the exact same thing I have been researching for over a year now.

Most reasonable spec class boat. SVL, a competitive bot used is around 55000 to 70000 used. Even if you buy a decent one without a motor and add the engine. Costs to maintain over the course of a season, ask the teams, but very minor. Drive trains may last 3 or 4 seasons. They are also capable of running P4 or P5 in OPA's classes. In SBI, I think they are P4, In OSS P2. SO they are good almost everywhere. Plus they are very safe with the canopy. I have talked to no one who recommends an open boat for a husband/wife team. Talk with IMCO, Dunbar's, Typhoon, and SVL66.

Second most reasonable spec class boat. Outboard Cat. Very competitive boats out there currently for around 80,000 to 100,000. Pretty much the same thing. One class higher in all orgs for P classes. One complete rebuild per season on the outboards. Probably $5000. Talk with Ryan Beckley, 2TR, and Steve Quick. I do not believe a current competitive boat will be non-competitive in 2 or 3 years. But ask those 3.
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

19. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    By the way, have you run a race yet?
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

20. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor Ryan Beckley's Avatar
    The FIRST 30' DW is still out the racing and competitive.....as Sean said it's more about the people running the boat , than the boat it self. All of the boats run about the same speed, they all have different attributes that give an advantage in one way or another. The engines are all the same, props play a good part but most all of us run similar stuff. gearcases are all stock. Seat time and Balls are a major factor. There were 115 mph 28 skaters 10 years ago some of those would work well on some of todays flat courses.....

The ONLY thin I didn't like about the SVLs is how hard & rough the ride is in bumpy water, the feel much more out of control to me......
    Ryan Beckley