Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Black 28 F1-71- Engine/Bilge Redo
    Hey Guys,

I figured since I am going to be rebuilding my engine, my outdrive, redoing my bilge and doing a few other little things on my Pantera I would start a thread as many here have done.

For those of you that dont know I lost oil pressure 30 seconds into the last poker run of the season this year. Luckily I was running the boat with my father who caught the gauge as it 'plummeted' and I came off it right away. We checked the oil and there was milkshake so we brought her in and put her on the trailer. I won the 'hard luck' award at the poker run though!!!

I havent really touched the boat with the exception of draining the oil and doing a few other small things. Theories have been laid out as to what happened but obviously we will not know what went on until we do the autopsy.

I am now in the process of deciding where to bring the engine and I have narrowed it down to 2 shops. 1 local shop that Airpacker recommended which has an impeccable reputation and also the original builder of the engine, Tony Bischoff at BES Racing Engines. Tony is a good guy and I have met him in person and actually had him perform the pre purchase leakdown/compression tests on the boat with me and my father in the bilge with him helping him do it. The engine he built for the boat ran so well for the 2 years I used it in the boat that it seems like a logical step to take it to the original builder but when Airpacker recommends something I try and listen because that guy has forgotten more about this chit than I will ever hope to know. The Canadian dollar being so strong right now is also another reason to take this engine to the USA where I could likely save some cash to divert into another area of the boat.

Decisions......

I am also going to go through the drive and make it fresh. There is an excellent shop close by that I intend to take the drive to.

Lastly, I plan on painting the engine to look cool and redoing the bilge to hopefully resemble something similar to Mike's white F1. My bilge is pretty dirty, being a raceboat and all, and I wouldnt mind it being at the very least 'cleaner'.

This whole excercise is going to begin very soon but mostly after deer season

We are also talking about more power but thats a secret for now.

I know I will be asking you guys some questions and also needing some support through what will likely be a major project.

2. Collapse Details

Sounds like it will be a good project. If you need some help in the new year I will have graduated and be unemployed (hopefully not for long)!

3. Collapse Details

Usually Raceboats have spotless bilges.... so clean you can walk barefoot in them.
    One question..why donīt you race it ??
    Offshore Racing wasnīt designed to be a spectator sport, it's for people or companies with's lots of money to push the envelope of endurance technology and hopefully put a trophy on a mantle. It's man vs the elements, not like boats with like engines running in circles.

4. Collapse Details

Because there is NO race circuit here Mikey. None, nada, nothing. Only one race site is even within a 5 hr trailer ride and thats st.clair. All others are miles and miles away.
    Pretty hard to compete on a distant circuit when its a weekend warrior thing.

Adam, give wayne the motor and Steve the drive. Spend local, ya get local support
    As for more power, I have a pretty nice 900hp set up in mind for ya

5. Collapse Details

Looking forward to the thread Adam! keep me living vicariously this winter!!

6. Collapse Details

Good luck on the rebuild

7. Collapse Details

pics.....before and after please

8. Collapse Details

Keep us posted!!!

Your boat is one of my favorites, can't wait to see what you do with her!
    "Keep the bottle on the bar Ira, I won't be long".

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Airpacker View Post
    Because there is NO race circuit here Mikey. None, nada, nothing. Only one race site is even within a 5 hr trailer ride and thats st.clair. All others are miles and miles away.
    Pretty hard to compete on a distant circuit when its a weekend warrior thing.
    Really...
    Well I just fly over to race in Florida.
    5 hours is nothing for me. I drive 10hrs a day at work.
    Thenagain Iīm a workaholic...
    Offshore Racing wasnīt designed to be a spectator sport, it's for people or companies with's lots of money to push the envelope of endurance technology and hopefully put a trophy on a mantle. It's man vs the elements, not like boats with like engines running in circles.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyFIN View Post
    Really...
    Well I just fly over to race in Florida.
    5 hours is nothing for me. I drive 10hrs a day at work.
    Thenagain Iīm a workaholic...
    LOL, I spent the latter half of my 20's and early 30's crew chiefing an alcohol funny car. Leaving at 6pm on fridays, driving all night, sleeping in a truck,wrenching all weekend and driving all night sunday to be at work monday morning. After 6 yrs of doing that, I was glad to just say enough is enough.

I would race p class if there was anything close enough on a regular basis but the h ell I'm using my 2 days off a week to drive all over the country. I would rather spend that time boating with friends and family.

11. Collapse Details

Airpacker...I hear ya.. know the feeling all too well and when it sets in then itīs time to go out.
    Thatīs why I changed to boatracing.. much less hassle than anything on wheels.

But Artmeister still just bring it back maybe once a year to a race ( St Clair ???) ?
    Huh???

youīd make more than just me happy... Trust me on this one.

12. Collapse Details

Well, if Adam wants a throttle man for a weekend in st.clair, he knows where to find me.

13. Collapse Details

Well, if Adam wants a throttle man for a weekend in st.clair, he knows where to find me.
    I like that idea.

I got a call yesterday from my buddy up north. Even though I wasnt going to go to Key West this year to save money (and appease my dad) since I just bought the house I was made an offer I couldnt refuse so apparently I am now going. Running a 38 Fountain from Lauderdale down to Key West then staying for the races and running back to Lauderdale in the boat on the Monday after. I figured it was a great opportunity that I couldnt really pass up since I now have a ride on a nice boat instead of having to watch from shore.

Im pretty excited.

Sean are you going? I know you said you were thinking about it but we never discussed it and I tried to forget about the idea since I wanted to go but was trying to be 'sensible'.

14. Collapse Details

Yes, wednesday at 4 to Monday at 9.

15. Collapse Details

Yes, wednesday at 4 to Monday at 9.
    Awesome.

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by ar15meister View Post
    Hey Guys,

I figured since I am going to be rebuilding my engine, my outdrive, redoing my bilge and doing a few other little things on my Pantera I would start a thread as many here have done.

For those of you that dont know I lost oil pressure 30 seconds into the last poker run of the season this year. Luckily I was running the boat with my father who caught the gauge as it 'plummeted' and I came off it right away. We checked the oil and there was milkshake so we brought her in and put her on the trailer. I won the 'hard luck' award at the poker run though!!!

I havent really touched the boat with the exception of draining the oil and doing a few other small things. Theories have been laid out as to what happened but obviously we will not know what went on until we do the autopsy.

I am now in the process of deciding where to bring the engine and I have narrowed it down to 2 shops. 1 local shop that Airpacker recommended which has an impeccable reputation and also the original builder of the engine, Tony Bischoff at BES Racing Engines. Tony is a good guy and I have met him in person and actually had him perform the pre purchase leakdown/compression tests on the boat with me and my father in the bilge with him helping him do it. The engine he built for the boat ran so well for the 2 years I used it in the boat that it seems like a logical step to take it to the original builder but when Airpacker recommends something I try and listen because that guy has forgotten more about this chit than I will ever hope to know. The Canadian dollar being so strong right now is also another reason to take this engine to the USA where I could likely save some cash to divert into another area of the boat.

Decisions......

I am also going to go through the drive and make it fresh. There is an excellent shop close by that I intend to take the drive to.

Lastly, I plan on painting the engine to look cool and redoing the bilge to hopefully resemble something similar to Mike's white F1. My bilge is pretty dirty, being a raceboat and all, and I wouldnt mind it being at the very least 'cleaner'.

This whole excercise is going to begin very soon but mostly after deer season

We are also talking about more power but thats a secret for now.

I know I will be asking you guys some questions and also needing some support through what will likely be a major project.

Ship it to Tommy at Cheif motors....the best of the best and makes them look PRETTY

Mike

17. Collapse Details

Adam, make sure you check in on the Serious KW party thread.

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by thedonz View Post
    Ship it to Tommy at Cheif motors....the best of the best and makes them look PRETTY

Mike
    thanks I have seen his engines and they are gorgeous.

I bet he is super expensive and very busy though so that might not work I dont think.

19. Collapse Details

Good luck Adam! Should be cool to see it all come together.

"Tear gas and draft beer don't mix."

20. Collapse Details