Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN View Post
    How many single canopies raced this year outside SVL? One or maybe two.

What can't people just conform and participate in an existing class. SVL has boats and works. OPA SV's, Class 4, class 5 and 6 have boats and it works.
    And OPA SV is almost identical to SVL except twins.
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

2. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    How many single canopies raced this year outside SVL? One or maybe two.
    I don't know of any.....

3. Collapse Details

National Guard and Deans Bat boat are the only two I can think of. Deans is a different breed than Rendal's so I dont feel that you could include those
    www.tntoffshore.com

"El Racing boat es una pasion que se lleva en la sangre"

4. Collapse Details

Actually Deans boat is a Reindl... or what did you mean?
    Offshore Racing wasn´t designed to be a spectator sport, it's for people or companies with's lots of money to push the envelope of endurance technology and hopefully put a trophy on a mantle. It's man vs the elements, not like boats with like engines running in circles.

5. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by F1-00 Racing View Post
    National Guard and Deans Bat boat are the only two I can think of. Deans is a different breed than Rendal's so I dont feel that you could include those
    So no sense adjusting SVL for 2 boats that may not be interested anyway.

SVL teams together make the most cohesive group I have ever participated with.

6. Collapse Details

I look at the racing scene from a slightly different prospective, as right now I work at the races as opposed to racing (though I have had a few discussions with a couple people about starting to race, probably in '11). I think the first thing you need to do is step back, away from your class and your boat and look at the entire picture.
    1. you need to come to a common picture of what you want racing to be. Untill you have an orginized picture or goal, you will never achieve it.
    2. Figure out what it will take to achieve the goal.
    3. figure out what stands in the way.

only then can you start talking solutions.

It's like going to the doctors and saying "I don't feel good" The doctor does no assessment, just hands you some pills... that doesn't work..so you take some different pills...still doesnt work, you get some surgery...then more surgery.. tons of fixes that only make you sicker without ever figuring out why you felt sick in the first place.

So say everybody wants racing to have lots of boats racing creating excitment which draws large crowds, media exposure and sponsor dollars...

To achieve that, you need a healthy boat count of big fast boats racing hard.

the problems: very limited boat count at the top premiere level, 2~3 boats spread over a 5~10 mile course is not exciting.

solution possibilties: first you have to "grow" people with the knowledge,skills and desire to race at that level... to do this you need a "ladder" "p" class. you need an affordable and fair way for new people to start racing in inexpensive manner, but on top of that, you need INCENTIVE. you need a way to make climbing the ladder attractive or people will stay at a lower level indefinitly. This has advantages and drawbacks. to move up you will need a bigger fast boat, and you will no longer be the dominate force in your class. But if you stay at a lower level when you have mastered it, you discourage new racers. "Joe offshore wins every race..no one can beat him unless he breaks...coming in 4th constantly sucks" If there is a continual upwards turnover, there will be competitive boats available to the lower levels as people move up. Turbine cat doesn't have to be the top..there can be several "top levels" smitties V class for example, once you make it there, you have grown past the GPS equalizer stage to an upper level of skill and equipment. YOU WILL NEVER have a bunch of fast boats unless you start will a bunch of slow boats that provide an area of entry into the sport. Just as you will never have college graduates if you let people stay in 3rd grade forever, because they get straight a's without significant effort.

This isn't ment to be a blueprint or even a suggestion, just an example
    P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership

7. Collapse Details

That´s the key to a good class!
    Offshore Racing wasn´t designed to be a spectator sport, it's for people or companies with's lots of money to push the envelope of endurance technology and hopefully put a trophy on a mantle. It's man vs the elements, not like boats with like engines running in circles.

8. Collapse Details

Founding Member/Contributor Sean Stinson's Avatar
    Sean add 1 more class to that mix SVL does need a home of their own especially if they get their 8-10 back as Bruce talks( I hope hes right)
    You're right sorry SVL guys I just overlooked you my bad!!!!
    God forgives.....The 1% doesn't!!!!!!

9. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor glassdave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeyFIN View Post
    no Deans boat was actually built by McManus or Armada. Not sure but i know it was not Reindl.
    Throttles- Cleveland Construction/Traffic Light Racing 377 Talon cat

10. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeyFIN View Post
    So no sense adjusting SVL for 2 boats that may not be interested anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by glassdave View Post
    no Deans boat was actually built by McManus or Armada. Not sure but i know it was not Reindl.
    I forgot about the National Guard boat.

An Armada I believe, not positive. But, the Batboats are illegal for SVL because of the ruling the wings were a lifting device like the tunnel on a cat, and they are only 24 feet long. Otherwise, the 28 Batboats would be legal and the class would be ruined much like the other classes with new technology have been. So it is a non-issue. The SVL guys made an exception to allow a couple of us to run with them in St Clair. I thank them for it. I'd love to take a stab again, different issue though.

The main reason they consider Dean's differently, it has no Volvo duo-prop but a Bravo and tabs. Faster, doesn't accelerate quite as fast as a duo, but can run in P5 where all the others run P6.
    Last edited by Ratickle; 10-17-2009 at 05:47 PM.

11. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    My opinion on SVL. The only thing they could consider to improve the class for more boats. Maybe allow open boats that fit all the rest of the current rules. That's about it. I'd like to see the boats go 100, but with the sealed 525, don't see that happening.

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    My opinion on SVL. The only thing they could consider to improve the class for more boats. Maybe allow open boats that fit all the rest of the current rules. That's about it. I'd like to see the boats go 100, but with the sealed 525, don't see that happening.
    100 in a 30 foot open boat??
    Rich Smith
    Smith Brothers Offshore Racing Team
    Cotnertrailers.com 611

13. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sbracing View Post
    100 in a 30 foot open boat??
    Yep, I've crashed at over that skiing and survived. And there are currently classes going over that with open cockpits. Didn't say it would ever happen, but that's just my opinion. Not everyone agrees I'm smart...... (sound like DD????)

14. Collapse Details

Yep, I've crashed at over that skiing and survived. And there are currently classes going over that with open cockpits. Didn't say it would ever happen, but that's just my opinion. Not everyone agrees I'm smart...... (sound like DD????)
    I have broken all my ribs on my left side at 60 mph in Key West too.

The boats will naturally continue to find increments of speed. There is no reason to invite more speed.

What is needed is a schedule of courses where we run in a variation of water. Sarasota for example this year was nice. We were all running low 80's. Top speed didn't matter there. It shouldn't matter in offhshore. It is supposed to be about set ups, prop choice, control, endurance and willingness to find your limitations.

As far as open boats I personally don't care. In anything bumpy they won't be able to keep up. In smooth I don't think anyone will appreciate how close we are willing to run to each other.

15. Collapse Details

Banned
    I know a 29 Phantom ,,tha runs 96 + mph,,,U DON'T WHANT TAH IN A RACE !!!!!!!!!!! TRUSST ME.

THIS SOUNDS LIKE DD !!!!!!

16. Collapse Details

I didn't think I could get hurt racing a 65 mph boat. I ran it like I was indestructible, with complete disregard for well being.....big mistake.

I am happy I survived my F2 days.

17. Collapse Details

Competitor / Charter Member imco offshore's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sbracing View Post
    Are these proposals regarding P class boats or the rest of the fleet? I don't think any wholesale changes are needed in the P class structure, whether it is OPA or SBI's model. The changes needed regard the " show " classes. These are the classes that need the rework. These are the classes that would be the sponsor attracting, televised, promoted classes. If we are concerned about he sport moving forward, these are the classes that need to be fixed. Quit nitpicking the sportsman classes. They work.
    that is what i,v been saying for a while thank you

18. Collapse Details

Competitor / Charter Member imco offshore's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DAREDEVIL View Post
    I know a 29 Phantom ,,tha runs 96 + mph,,,U DON'T WHANT TAH IN A RACE !!!!!!!!!!! TRUSST ME.

THIS SOUNDS LIKE DD !!!!!!
    scott i call bull s it name it or go get it i,ll be at sarasota monday morn 11 am i,m calling your bluff in front of all these people....now man up ,,, o yea tell me he has a sealed 525, or does he have a 650 hp like you ,,,, in that case i,ll put 1000 dollars and race him from sarasota to the sky way and back OUTSIDE ,, now come back with some more bull sh1t !

19. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by imco offshore View Post
    scott i call bull s it name it or go get it i,ll be at sarasota monday morn 11 am i,m calling your bluff in front of all these people....now man up ,,, o yea tell me he has a sealed 525, or does he have a 650 hp like you ,,,, in that case i,ll put 1000 dollars and race him from sarasota to the sky way and back OUTSIDE ,, now come back with some more bull sh1t !
    Let me know when the race is. I'll get the spectators, judges, and maybe someone from Jersey, originally or still there, to handle the action......

20. Collapse Details

I dont care if hes got 1000 HP. He aint gonna win a ocean race against a canopy