Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Founding Member/Contributor Sean Stinson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by phragle View Post
    if the pwr to wt ration is identical, whats the difference between lid and no lid?? why make 4 classes out of what could be 2?

I think the safety factor comes into play as the open boats would start going to fast and if an accident did happen the likelihood of injury or fatality is increased!!!!

I am sorry I went back and reread the post I think the power to weight for the canopies need to be the same 7.77 and the opens the same at 7.85 regardless of single or twin
    God forgives.....The 1% doesn't!!!!!!

2. Collapse Details

Founding Member/Contributor Sean Stinson's Avatar
    I have to agree with Trent he has some very, very valid ideas here gentlemen take them and run with them!!!!
    God forgives.....The 1% doesn't!!!!!!

3. Collapse Details

Competitor / Charter Member imco offshore's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skaterdave View Post
    a few issues

first - gps is the cheapest easiest way to tech. theres too much grey area involved with having engine go to dyno shops and the rest of the driveline. say bravo, #6, arneson and shaft drive. now if you could get someone to have a on site dyno that hooks to a prop shaft than this might be the way to go to your speced hp to weight classes.

fuel injection would have to have an air restrictor, there are far more ways to cheat over a carburator. hence the reason nascar and almost every other motorsports governing body specs a carb and techs them with a no or no-go gauge.

your idea seems just like the factory classes which have been tried and failed with the exception of smitty and his 4 SV/bravos.

next why have two of the same exact classes for with basically the only difference being a canopy ? i don't have an answer for this question other than the SVL's fit nicely into P3 and the benefit of a canopy should offset being a shorter boat. agian if they have enough boats (more than 6 or so) to put on there on show let their own class.

cost of having tech done correctly and keeping track of the hp to weight boats would mandate full time inspectors just for these classes. this would be more expensive than have to just check GPS. and remember your reasoning is it to bring out more boats and make it more affordable. this does neither, in my opinion.

i still don't see that big issue with gps. its just like drag racing where you set you car to run a certain speed which is just at the limit of your equipment and then try to match it everytime.

if your like DD and breaking out all the time, IMO your sandbaggin, the org's officails should move you up a class.

next i could only imagine the termoil if the was tried over gps. honsestly if gps is seen as a problem than teching this mess would get real ugly real quick. hence take all the fun out of it and probably run off more than it would bring in.
    dave you can,t put svl.s in p-3 we could never pull off the corners like the twin engines or maintain a speed ,, we don,t have the tourque of 2 engines, ps why would having a canopy make things even ?

4. Collapse Details

George is right. the SVLs can barely keep up with the twin engine boats in P4.

5. Collapse Details

scotty i,m not trying to bust balls here,,, but i think trent ran further in his one race, than you did in the last 2 yrs ? not sure but think about ok maybe 1 year,,, but i know you get the point, everybody is trying to,help the sport

6. Collapse Details

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by imco offshore View Post
    scotty i,m not trying to bust balls here,,, but i think trent ran further in his one race, than you did in the last 2 yrs ? not sure but think about ok maybe 1 year,,, but i know you get the point, everybody is trying to,help the sport
    George,,,trent did not go further in that time then me ,,,but anyhow i do get your point,,,LOL

Which ,,hey ,,,i now have it done to go around and round,,,it just did not want to cooperate with me in the past .hehehe

Also the diffrents is ,,buying aboat out of the box,,,,and bulding my own ,,like i did. Think about that.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Stinson View Post
    I think the safety factor comes into play as the open boats would start going to fast and if an accident did happen the likelihood of injury or fatality is increased!!!!

I am sorry I went back and reread the post I think the power to weight for the canopies need to be the same 7.77 and the opens the same at 7.85 regardless of single or twin
    i agree with sean why do we want to penelize the canopys, our center of gravity is much higher than open boats ,, we need a parity ? we can argue this for a long time ?

8. Collapse Details

Banned
    Don't u guys see what Trent is doing here ????

He is trying to find new classes so he can fit in with his boat and be THE MAN,,,he is a crybaby,,because he needs to run P4 and they will not let him run P5,,,, he now plames me for not being in KW,,,told me last night in a text message...... i am the one that should be crying.

This is redicilous,,,this thread is about sealed engines and spec class ,,,not about what we have now and how to improve it,,,,this is about running of the newcommers and also most of the current teams.

Just my 2 c.

C-YA

PS.: u wanna race ,,,build a boat for the class and come and try to beat me,,,u all know my record in finishing is not that great,,,but come out and try me !!!!!!!!!!

BE SAFE

9. Collapse Details

hmmmmm

1. Get a Boat Trailer and Truck.
    2. Get the boat dialed in
    3. Get a Crew.
    4. Get money to race
    5. Try not be the slowest.
    6. Finish the races.
    7. Beat Scott Rutherford/ Daredevil...

Hmmm thatīs a long list for a starter.

Letīs actually try to be civil here and not just pick on each other on the board.
    That will only function for one purpose.
    No sitdown in KW and only arguing.

Man sounds like home already...
    Offshore Racing wasnīt designed to be a spectator sport, it's for people or companies with's lots of money to push the envelope of endurance technology and hopefully put a trophy on a mantle. It's man vs the elements, not like boats with like engines running in circles.

10. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeyFIN View Post
    Letīs actually try to be civil here and not just pick on each other on the board.
    That will only function for one purpose.
    No sitdown in KW and only arguing.

Man sounds like home already...
    Exactly, well said. Cheap shots are exactly that. You fire them off, they're gonna come back. And, just like the past, nothing will be moved forward.
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by SVL66 View Post
    My vote is to leave everything as it is. Changing the rule structure now will only chase teams away. Not attract more.

GO YANKEES
    Your exactly right Bruce, some teams would be chased off, my theory is to create quality not quantity. The better the show, the more marketable it becomes. Racers make money instead of spend money. Interesting concept huh? Everyone gets hung up on boat count. What good is 100 boats if you only have 2-3 boats in each class? In Nascar you have anywhere from 45-55 cars show up to make a 43 care field. Please read my paragraph on the original OSS plan. It could have worked.
    www.tntoffshore.com

"El Racing boat es una pasion que se lleva en la sangre"

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by F1-00 Racing View Post
    Your exactly right Bruce, some teams would be chased off, my theory is to create quality not quantity. The better the show, the more marketable it becomes. Racers make money instead of spend money. Interesting concept huh? Everyone gets hung up on boat count. What good is 100 boats if you only have 2-3 boats in each class? In Nascar you have anywhere from 45-55 cars show up to make a 43 care field. Please read my paragraph on the original OSS plan. It could have worked.

our class (svl) is striving toward that goal. It may not happen overnight. But we know we still have a viable class. hopefully, we will all come together and run a schedule that works for everyone. We are not loyal to any association. best sites, best fans, best purse. best bang for our hard earned buck. our goal is to get 8 -10 boats back out there for next year. time will tell

13. Collapse Details

Actually on a notch bottom a standoff box is to 95% useless, itīs cake on a cake.
    I said no box on notched/step hulls Mika

you mean some races should be run on a lake in flat water too ???

Trent just busting your nutters but hey this is offshore. Let the Spectators come out to the sea or watch from a screen/ TVīs on Race Channels ?
    Yes, I am thinking a 75%-25% ratio 75% being run in offshore waters, but in the spectrum of everything, in order to make it more marketable you have to reach out and bring it to the masses. In the US, more people live inland as opposed to near an ocean. Also a lot of inland courses provide a way to document numbers(attendance) Tons of people go to Sarasota, but all you will get is estimates, I mean how can you accurately count people on a public beach? In corporate America they don't care about estimates, that want documented facts.
    www.tntoffshore.com

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    Exactly, well said. Cheap shots are exactly that. You fire them off, they're gonna come back. And, just like the past, nothing will be moved forward.
    Are cheap coming my way? hmmm oh well I guess they are blocked from my viewing, anyways consider the source and go from there. No need for me to respond, I am better than that.
    www.tntoffshore.com

15. Collapse Details

I said no box on notched/step hulls Mika
    Yeah right but I made a point itīs useless to ban them with a notch as it doesnīt usually gain any...makes mostly matters worse.

Yes, I am thinking a 75%-25% ratio 75% being run in offshore waters, but in the spectrum of everything, in order to make it more marketable you have to reach out and bring it to the masses. In the US, more people live inland as opposed to near an ocean. Also a lot of inland courses provide a way to document numbers(attendance) Tons of people go to Sarasota, but all you will get is estimates, I mean how can you accurately count people on a public beach? In corporate America they don't care about estimates, that want documented facts.
    Doesnīt those living in Inland follow other forms of motorsport?
    I mean those living close to water follow boatracing usually and those who donīt look elsewhere.

I mean I was an exhange student in Cincinnati Area and there Stock/Sprint Cars and Drag racing ruled.
    I saw some powerboats but not many...

the problem with corp anything is boatraces estimated head counts doesnīt give them any facts and therefore the sponsorships are hard to justify to the board/beancounters.

But thatīs offshore Folks.
    Last edited by MikeyFIN; 10-17-2009 at 11:08 AM. Reason: spelling
    Offshore Racing wasnīt designed to be a spectator sport, it's for people or companies with's lots of money to push the envelope of endurance technology and hopefully put a trophy on a mantle. It's man vs the elements, not like boats with like engines running in circles.

16. Collapse Details

Are cheap coming my way? hmmm oh well I guess they are blocked from my viewing, anyways consider the source and go from there. No need for me to respond, I am better than that.
    We are all low level BUMS in the P classes basically and all we can do to the sport is keep our classes straight and easy to follow and race.
    So lets act just the way we act in the pits, help each other so we get to the starting line and after the flag drops everyones is on their own unless thereīs someones life at stake.

17. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Inland doesn't mean no water here. There are the great lakes and many large reservoirs. LOTO, Lake St Clair, Lake Mead, Havasu, Great Lakes, etc are all plenty big enough with massive amounts of performance boaters who love to go to boating events. Eliminating them from a solid business plan is not a good idea.
    Last edited by Ratickle; 10-17-2009 at 11:13 AM.
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

18. Collapse Details

Are these proposals regarding P class boats or the rest of the fleet? I don't think any wholesale changes are needed in the P class structure, whether it is OPA or SBI's model. The changes needed regard the " show " classes. These are the classes that need the rework. These are the classes that would be the sponsor attracting, televised, promoted classes. If we are concerned about he sport moving forward, these are the classes that need to be fixed. Quit nitpicking the sportsman classes. They work.
    Rich Smith
    Smith Brothers Offshore Racing Team
    Cotnertrailers.com 611

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    Inland doesn't mean no water here. There are the great lakes and many lkarge reservoirs. LOTO, Lake St Clair, Lake Mead, Havasu, Great Lakes, etc are all plenty big enough weth massive amounts of performance boaters who love to go to boating events. Eliminating them from a solid business plan is not a good idea.
    Hey our country is called the home of the Thousand lakes..and Our WRC rally is known as the 1000 Lakes...

And I donīt actually call those lakes and LOTO Inland... They got water and [power]boating communities.
    Actually thereīs hard to fine States you canīt arrange a boatrace but thenagain which kind draws a crowd is not our issue either is it? We just want unified rules right ??

I mean Hydros and Dragboats are more up the alley on some lakes and rivers.
    Last edited by MikeyFIN; 10-17-2009 at 11:18 AM.

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by sbracing View Post
    Are these proposals regarding P class boats or the rest of the fleet? I don't think any wholesale changes are needed in the P class structure, whether it is OPA or SBI's model. The changes needed regard the " show " classes. These are the classes that need the rework. These are the classes that would be the sponsor attracting, televised, promoted classes. If we are concerned about he sport moving forward, these are the classes that need to be fixed. Quit nitpicking the sportsman classes. They work.
    Dont worry...Im pretty sure the OPA teams are satisfied with the current structure. Theres not much more you can do without adding more classes. Maybe just tighten up the reigns a little. And polish up the show a bit.