Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Waterford Mi., Lk. St. Clair and Lk. Erie
    I think the Dominators will help alot. If you want good low speed manners, you should use 2 circuit like the 8082-1. All Dominators have too large of high speed air bleeds causing top end to go very lean. I replaced mine with .027's. Alot of drag race guys think the Victor intakes are the best out there. Depending on who ported them, you might have a real winning combination there
    Big boats rule!

2. Collapse Details

Just so you know from my post. Intake volume, cross-sectional area of the intake are going to be the next key factor. If you have a larger cid engine even if the heads are only 320, 335 cnc, you still have to supply enough air to fill the cylinder. With a 572, 588, 598, 604, a 4150 intake is going to be to small unless you want a stopping ponit on power at a specific rpm. By no means am I a expert on this. I'll use a Demon 1025 cfm RS on my 540-548 cid with a 4150 style intake. 555 cid up a 1050, 604 used a 1150. The indication of hi vac. on the test was a good sign the carb was small with the 4500 style in take. I myself wouldn't take a 4500 intake put an adapter on it and go to a smaller carb on a 572. On the 588 put them on the dyno with what you have get some readings, change the intakes and put a1050 or 1150 on them you'll be where you expected to be in the build.
    Why do we always think its the cam at fault, Just think how much is left on the table when you say or someone says; IT IS WHAT IT IS!
    Nice job on posting those specs

3. Collapse Details

Definately run Dominators. Call Dean Nickerson and give him all of the info on your motor including your elevation and he will build a carb that will idle great, have a near perfect fuel curve and make more power than the 4150 based carb on this combo. I would also either run a fully ported intake or at least one that only needs minimal porting out of the box. I believe one of the top manifolds out of the box is the Super Victor 2911. Also don't be surprised if Nickerson recommends a 1150 or even a 1250 Domi. 588's are big motors and 5800 RPM is more than enough to take advantage of the 4500 carb.

4. Collapse Details

Banned
    I thought a Team G or Dart is the best out of box intake for BIG engines ????

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo36 View Post
    Maybe the carbs are going rich because they're being forced to compensate for the lack of CFM so they're sucking more fuel...
    They are IMO.
    Slap a vacuum gauge in there and go from there.
    And fuel press...

KISS principle still works wonders guys.,,and that principle separates the men from boys when it comes to engine tuning.

Cam seems short on duration for a 588" NA engine, no?
    Not actually.
    I doesn´t need to be a bigger cam in a BIGGER ENGINE if the engine otherwise breathes.
    Velocity is the key.
    Last edited by MikeyFIN; 10-17-2009 at 05:46 AM.
    Offshore Racing wasn´t designed to be a spectator sport, it's for people or companies with's lots of money to push the envelope of endurance technology and hopefully put a trophy on a mantle. It's man vs the elements, not like boats with like engines running in circles.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil View Post
    i know a 598 with solid roller and dart intake and 1050 dominator makes around 800 hp @ 6 k rpm.
    My spring press is 225 @ the seat.

shhhhhhh.........
    Last edited by MikeyFIN; 10-17-2009 at 05:00 AM.
    Offshore Racing wasn´t designed to be a spectator sport, it's for people or companies with's lots of money to push the envelope of endurance technology and hopefully put a trophy on a mantle. It's man vs the elements, not like boats with like engines running in circles.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyFIN View Post
    Not actually.
    I doesn´t need to be a bigger cam in a BIGGER ENGINE if the engine otherwise breathes.
    Velocity is the key.
    I can agree to that... if the heads flow well enough and everything else is matched the cam can/will work. PS , bob usually designs his cams base on everything the engine has, heads, flow #'s, intake, spacer etc. I called him about my cam when we were doing the upgrade and the cam he suggested was almost identical to the "shelf" cam we already picked out and his estimated numbers vs. my dyno numbers were very close. He even suggested we could go bigger on the cam but my cylinder heads were the limiting factor.

I'm curious to see what the dominators do and and as suggested, larger intake. Obviously there's a restriction.
    Last edited by Geronimo36; 10-17-2009 at 10:21 AM.

8. Collapse Details

offtopic...

I a few years back built the top end and put a new cam on a supposedly rebuilt motor and told the customers the Hp number by feel after a test run at what rpm and It dynoed Exactly at that on the first pull. 2 hours later this old Drag Racer could only muster 3hp more out of it as I on purpose left it rich.
    He asked who built this engine and when he heard my name he said..yes I´ve heard about him and called the day quits.

Funny...

9. Collapse Details

I'm curious to see what the dominators do and and as suggested, larger intake. Obviously there's a restriction.
    I say 730 at 6100.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Brian41 View Post
    Intakes are Victor 454-TD's custom done by Wilson manifolds,they are Dom base with Wilson 4150 adapters. Heads are AFR 325 with CNC bowls cut down to 114 CC with intake correction make static compression of 9.9 to 1. Cams are from Bob Madara.

Carbs will be here Wednesday I will rerun them and post # then.
    Hey Brian,
    Have you been back to the dyno yet? :bigear:
    Thanks,
    Dave

11. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeyFIN View Post
    I told the customers the Hp number by feel after a test run at what rpm and It dynoed Exactly at that on the first pull.
    If you can do that by holding a prop on the boat while it's on land, we can find a tech job over here for you in a race org.....
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

12. Collapse Details

Checked my cam card, advertised duration at .015 is 304/312, I shorted myself a bit.
    Crane 138631

So, how did the Dominators work?

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Nordicflame View Post
    Hey Brian,
    Have you been back to the dyno yet? :bigear:
    Thanks,
    Dave
    Yes, we ran them yesterday and only picked up 28HP and 21TQ on first run. We noticed the BSFC numbers were having an issue at about 5000 RPM's so we are taking a look at the valve springs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ernie's engines 002.jpg  

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    If you can do that by holding a prop on the boat while it's on land, we can find a tech job over here for you in a race org.....
    Yes I Can...how much does your insurance cover ???

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Brian41 View Post
    Yes, we ran them yesterday and only picked up 28HP and 21TQ on first run. We noticed the BSFC numbers were having an issue at about 5000 RPM's so we are taking a look at the valve springs.
    Where I come from, 30hp gain from only a carb change is pretty significant!!! Seem's like you're on the right path.

30 hp should be worth .5 - 1 mph and a little extra RPM I would suspect.

16. Collapse Details

So what was the final verdict?

17. Collapse Details

Mine is a winter conversion. I will report back when I have results.

Brian,
    Have you come up with anything?

Thanks

18. Collapse Details

Where I come from, 30hp gain from only a carb change is pretty significant!!! Seem's like you're on the right path.

30 hp should be worth .5 - 1 mph and a little extra RPM I would suspect.
    Kinda what I was thinking. Especially on the first pull.

19. Collapse Details

When looking at a Holley Dominator carb, how can you determine whether the carb is a 2 circuit or 3 circuit system??? Which system is better and more tunable?

Also, which system (2 or 3 circuit) is better for a marine supercharged application?

And....which system (2 or 3 circuit) is better for idle quality?

Thanks in advance, Mark

20. Collapse Details

Waterford Mi., Lk. St. Clair and Lk. Erie
    Looking down at the top of the carb, a two circuit will have 2 holes near each throttle bore. Those are the idle and high speed air bleeds. A three cicuit will have 3 holes. An idle, mid range and high speed air bleeds. Newer carbs have removable air bleeds that look like jets. Problem is, mid range tends to run very rich. Most carb shops modify these to almost eliminate the midrange. It's easier to start with a two circuit.
    Big boats rule!