Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    The same is true for Outboard Cat, Cat Light, and OPA Super Vee.

Those four classes have no issues when it comes to racers racing. Only the short, smooth courses make it a sprint to the first corner with the winner usually the first one around it claiming lane one.
    yea but currently theres not enough boats in any one of these classes to stand alone. so the question is, it better to have 3-4 seperate races of 2-4 boats going on at once or find a way to put them all together in one class. if your goal is to better the overall racing to put on a show it would be the later. if you wanna better your chances at winning than run the seperate races like the current situation. the problem with this is no one outside of those related to the teams has any idea of whos winning and are there to drink beer. thus making it more difficult to bring offshore racing mainstream

2. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skaterdave View Post
    currently i run keyboard-class. it's quite in-expensive and and i can give myself my own checkered flags ???????

honestly i think PX has hurt the sport more than anything and that the current speed of close too 200 mph are going to bite offshore in the azz sooner or later. there was a reason that they had 150 mph rule.

no-offense to the spec guys but as we've seen theres no consistancy between the orgs which makes tech even more difficult.
    Dave, I agree with some of what you say but, disagree with your view on spec racing. You can break it down even more. Spec like when any engine within a set of guidelines is they type that often gets expensive and is the most involved to tech. On the other hand spec sealed is one of the less expensive way to race and offers good competition in a few classes. A SVL can race all season spending about as much as some spend on race fuel and one rebuild. It is also one of the few classes that is available in all orgs presently.

I appreciate your love for bracket classes and agree it works well but, it is not the answer for everyone.

This discussion was brought up to discuss SBI P classes. Do you have ANY intention of participating with them?
    Last edited by MOBILEMERCMAN; 10-15-2009 at 10:44 PM.

3. Collapse Details

No offense guys but I seem to look at the name of this thread is "To all P-class racers in KW!!!!!!!" Ok I might be wrong again, but why are people like 2TR, Wahoo, and Skaterdave posting on here and they have no intentions of being in Key West? SBI is SBI and OPA is OPA. They are having a meeting to discuss how to make P-class racing in SBI better. With such idiotic comments insinuating that OPA is perfect, then if they are stupid enough to believe that, then they should race OPA and stay off this thread. Now a little disclaimer, OPA has done some wonderful things for their club, but it is far from perfect.

Opinions are like buttholes and everyone has one, but if you chose to go to Key West pay your fees then speak up, if not have a nice long cold winter!!!!! Although I will point out that this thread does not belong in General Discussion, it belongs in the SBI section.
    www.tntoffshore.com

"El Racing boat es una pasion que se lleva en la sangre"

4. Collapse Details

We can go round and round all winter guys. The discussion here is about P class in KW.

Lets try to stay on topic..
    Last edited by MOBILEMERCMAN; 10-16-2009 at 12:38 AM.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by F1-00 Racing View Post
    Although I will point out that this thread does not belong in General Discussion, it belongs in the SBI section.
    Trent, There will be racers from all orgs participating in KW.

6. Collapse Details

Daredevil asked me to move this to SBI, so I did. But I will say that input from other organizations and their followers might not be a bad thing, either way, they will find their way here.

7. Collapse Details

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN View Post
    Jim,,but he is kind of right,,since we will discuss SBI rules !!!!!

8. Collapse Details

Banned
    Thanks Ted !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN View Post

You are 100% correct Jim, but when they participate, that means they paid all fees and they will become registered SBI racers and have a say in the matter. As DD said this is concerning SBI rules, not OPA rules, not OSS rules.

Key West is an SBI race with everyone invited to race.
    www.tntoffshore.com

10. Collapse Details

Its fine with me..Its DD thread after all.

Carry on.

11. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I was hoping the goal was to attract more boats and racers into racing in P classes, by improving the current model, so the future would grow. I did not understand it was to just have current SBI P racers discuss SBI. Sorry.
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

12. Collapse Details

Banned
    I was hoping the goal was to attract more boats and racers into racing in P classes, by improving the current model, so the future would grow. I did not understand it was to just have current SBI P racers discuss SBI. Sorry.
    Its ok to hear all the opinions but it really only concerns SBI !

Like Trent said before ,,,alot of boats are in between the #,,,there for we need to do something.
    Currently in P5 ,as an example we have......Velocity,V&M Motorsports,RumRunners,Just pray Racing and Don't blink.

4 of these boats can run 80 with just changing the prop if that.

In P4 we have 5-6 boats which only 1 is capable of running 85 in race trimm steady.

There are NO P3 boats .

In P2 +1 i could not tell u but they kind of have boats a little mixed up in that.

Thats why we need to combine some classes and roll around a couple of boats,,to make it how it should be !!!!!

13. Collapse Details

No offense guys but I seem to look at the name of this thread is "To all P-class racers in KW!!!!!!!" Ok I might be wrong again, but why are people like 2TR, Wahoo, and Skaterdave posting on here and they have no intentions of being in Key West? SBI is SBI and OPA is OPA. They are having a meeting to discuss how to make P-class racing in SBI better. With such idiotic comments insinuating that OPA is perfect, then if they are stupid enough to believe that, then they should race OPA and stay off this thread. Now a little disclaimer, OPA has done some wonderful things for their club, but it is far from perfect.

Opinions are like buttholes and everyone has one, but if you chose to go to Key West pay your fees then speak up, if not have a nice long cold winter!!!!! Although I will point out that this thread does not belong in General Discussion, it belongs in the SBI section.

Nothings perfect, you know that.. OPA, SBI or OSS.. but if you want SBI to increase boat count (more boats = more fun) you need to have SBI re-adjust there fee's; bottom line.

I would love to do a couple SBI events, I even have one a couple hours from the house. But I'm not paying a couple grand per race for the privilege to race 1 boat and win, what? 700 bucks?

14. Collapse Details

first off f100/trent i live in fl, so the outcome might affect me. next, i'll be in KW

next if you want to split hairs it say to ALL P CLASS RACERS in KW, not all p class racers that run only sbi. there for, you get input from other racers in different orgs. next i really don't think it matters which furom since its about improving p class racing and dd put it here on the web, where we can all comment on it.

the biggest improvement would be for sbi to use opa's fee schedule. that would put an extra $600 in the racers pocket. i myself would like to see more laps and as far as unified rules, well opa does seem to have more boats which fill it's classes therefore class reduction would not be necassary.

i think one of the easiest thing to do would be change some dates around so theres not conflicting dates like sbi @ ny and opa @ point pleasent. that situation makes no sense to me. with offshore being such a small market to racers you would think one or the other would move dates around to maximize race entries ?

as for making the same gps speed, well it should be as simple as a prop change or different setup to move that couple of miles an hour up or down.

mobilemerc, i would rather see simplified tech inspection rather than a merc only sealed rule. for instance a lot of people love the 525's and make a big deal of how long they last. well they should since they only turn 5400 rpm. and really are not anywhere near push the limits compared to a race only engine. next comparing there price i was able to build quite a better motor for what a 525 costs IMO.

so whats the middle ground for spec. pick certain guidelines that are easily inspected with out having to tear down the motor or pulling a cylinder head.
    from what little experience i have being around friends that race cars, heres what i've seen and it seems to work rather easily.
    by merely pulling spark plugs you can check cubic inch displacement and compression ratio. set a valve lift limit which can be checked be removing just a valve cover. and spec a throttle bore size for the carb. to go farther than that car guys use a sight hole in the oil pan to check crank and rods. but in a boats case you would have to pull the engine at that point, plus theres only so much to do in the low end that would make more HP. they mandate crank driven distributors and no computers and some spec a rpm limiter.

problem here would be the merc and blower motor combos with fuel injection and compueters. agian the easiest solution would be an air restrictor.

i know i'm off the P class subject but wanted to add that in there mobilemerc.

back to p class. i do like sbi's gps better than opa's type. garmin is a name brand gps which can be used outside the racing. second it would be nice to see sbi and opa post all the gps data for all to see. more transparency. for instance i questioned the speeds of the fountain worldwide last year and was told that the inspectors looked at it and was okay ???? why bring that up, well we you have a boat that's sponsored by one of the org's primary sponsor competing against a boat that runs mostly another org's races, one might get the impression of a little bias. to me that was BS.
    when i use to race 4wheelers in GNCC at the end of the race they would post everyones times and positions. i don't understand the secretecy of that. and yes sbi does post that info several weeks later. with todays technology this should be done automatically. the 4 wheeler racing is using transponders along with almost all other forms of motorsports. offshore is kinda still back in the dark ages

15. Collapse Details

I have what is most likely a really stupid question. If you have a maximum speed that you are allowed to go, wouldn't the only important piece of equpment be the GPS? Theoretically you could have the turbine boats parading around with the P boats as long as they are all allowed a maximum top speed. Why all the need for inspection when the top speed is set?

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo 214 View Post
    If you guys want to change P Class rules, then just join OPA. It works and ain't broken. Move on to the spec classes.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2TR View Post
    Nothings wrong with "P" Class racing, only problem I see is racing "P" class in S.B.I.

Not trying to be rude, just an observation.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2TR View Post
    Fix S.B.I.

Sorry Rick I must have misread your posts
    www.tntoffshore.com

17. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeybandit View Post
    I have what is most likely a really stupid question. If you have a maximum speed that you are allowed to go, wouldn't the only important piece of equpment be the GPS? Theoretically you could have the turbine boats parading around with the P boats as long as they are all allowed a maximum top speed. Why all the need for inspection when the top speed is set?
    Sorry, can't stay out of this because I have my opinion.

I could build a P class specific boat that should, in theory, never lose.

For example, If I take a Batboat with a duo-prop, put in a Big Block all Aluminum 600 inch motor with blower running a conservative 850 HP, prop it to run a maximum of 82/83, I should out accelerate, out turn, and win dang near every race in a 75 mph class. In POPRA, I understand that to be illegal becase of their sandbagging rule. Elsewhere, ????

I think the spirit of P class was, if you have a boat that is maxed out capable of 82/83, you enter it in the 75 class. Not downprop a 100 mph boat into the 70 class...
    Last edited by Ratickle; 10-16-2009 at 12:02 PM.

18. Collapse Details

Banned
    Sorry, can't stay out of this because I have my opinion.

I could build a P class specific boat that should, in theory, never lose.

For example, If I take a Batboat with a duo-prop, put in a Big Block all Aluminum 600 inch motor with blower running a conservative 850 HP, prop it to run a maximum of 82/83, I should out accelerate, out turn, and win dang near every race in a 75 mph class. In POPRA, I understand that to be illegal becase of their sandbagging rule. Elsewhere, ????
    Ok,,,,in 5 foot seas u will lose !!!!
    In calm water u will brake out....and so on..

Nice try !!!!!

19. Collapse Details

opa was the same type of sandbagging rule, except they tie the sandbags around your ankles

20. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DAREDEVIL View Post
    Ok,,,,in 5 foot seas u will lose !!!!
    In calm water u will brake out....and so on..

Nice try !!!!!
    You've never driven a Batboat, have you..... Ask someone who owns one......