Thread: Good job GM!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Good job GM!
    I figured this could be a "good" thread about an American automaker in contrast to the 08 Ford disaster thread......

History:
    03 GMC 2500 Duramax 143K miles. Regular maintenance only for first 100K miles, waterpump at 106K, first brake job at 135K. Thats it other than filters, fluids, tires and one set of batteries. BONE STOCK, NO MODS.

Truck has dumped an oily liquid on the ground a few times in the past year. Size of two dinner plates is a bad episode, usually when it sits overnight. No indicators on dash, no smoke, truck runs fine with no fluid loss indicated under the hood. Did some internet research and PCV has a drain attached to it so if crankcase is overfilled it will dump on the ground. Many diesel sites have bypass tips so you won't get the dump on the ground. The other scenario is bad injectors (01-02's had the issue bad, 03-04.5 less). Local dealer is ok, not great but ok. $120 for diagnosis. An hour later it comes back as bad injectors. GM extended the warranty on the injectors to 200K miles due to the issues they had in the past.
    Service writer says 100% covered and all 8 will be changed, includes oil change/filter. The only thing they don't cover and he recommends is a fuel filter change/ valve adjustment. $157 for fuel filter (I do it myself every 10-12K, part is $40, I passed on their offer). $250 for valve adjustment, past my ability I agreed to have it done.

I was waiting for a ride from one of my employees and was scouting the lot for a new one if things didn't work out. Most crew/diesels were MSRP'd from 47-55K (ouch) and were ALL 2009, not one 2010 on the lot. Truck looks very good for age/miles and runs great/cold air etc. I just did a new set of LTX's and new bilstein shocks (like in the last week, 200 miles) so I had no plans for a new truck/payment book. This truck has been paid off since Dec 2007 so I was really enjoying no payments and wasn't really looking to start one now.

I have owned 7 new GMC/Chevy trucks since 1989 and most have gone over 100K for me with no issues. I still own 4 currently so I believe in the brand/manufacturer despite their issues over the last year or two.....

Hopefully with customer service like this all of the American manufacturers can once again become true competitors.

2. Collapse Details

good to hear!

3. Collapse Details

My dad just bought an 09 1500 sierra in September. He use to get a new truck with work every other year, but now they give vehicle allowance. I personally think its a better looking truck then the rams and a f150s.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Perlmudder View Post
    My dad just bought an 09 1500 sierra in September. He use to get a new truck with work every other year, but now they give vehicle allowance. I personally think its a better looking truck then the rams and a f150s.
    The half-tons are good looking trucks, the 3/4 tons in the Chevy not so much, that's why I went with a Sierra 2500.

5. Collapse Details

It's nice to see a postive post with GM in the title!

Glad you are happy with that truck and they're taking care of you.....but buy a new one haha.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by insanity View Post
    The half-tons are good looking trucks, the 3/4 tons in the Chevy not so much, that's why I went with a Sierra 2500.
    Too much chrome in the corners of the Chevy bumpers for me........looks like a ramming plate or something!

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Perlmudder View Post
    The 5.3 motor will burn the tires up the block with the traction control turned off, the 4.8 has a good amount of pep to it as well but the 5.3 is a great motor (325 HP this year I think).

8. Collapse Details

Awesome trucks. Great thread. If there is any thoughts about a new one act on this motor. New diesal prices going north. re: new emission standards.

9. Collapse Details

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0731.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	173.0 KB 
ID:	43868

Love mine towed 300 miles with it last weekend still got 12 mpg.Great truck

10. Collapse Details

what valve adjustment?

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by BUIZILLA View Post
    what valve adjustment?

Please explain...... Don't tell me a valve adjustment on a Duramax is like muffler bearings, finnigan pins or some other non existent thing.....

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by JupiterSunsation View Post
    Please explain...... Don't tell me a valve adjustment on a Duramax is like muffler bearings, finnigan pins or some other non existent thing.....
    yup.........

13. Collapse Details

Jim do they really mean running the rack?

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by BUIZILLA View Post
    yup.........

Google Duramax valve adjustment and others have gotten it done to quiet the chatter of the diesel motor. Diesel place.com and others have mentioned it, even saying the valve tolerances should be gapped at .012.

Now I did hesitate when he mentioned it needed new spark plugs!

15. Collapse Details

Great seeing you today - even though you scared me!!! LOL
    The world is 75% water - let's race it!

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MGReese View Post
    Great seeing you today - even though you scared me!!! LOL
    Duramax was in stealth mode and chicks at the mall can't even hear it coming!

You looked beat tired, no scare intended.....hope you feel better and see you next weekend.

17. Collapse Details

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by JupiterSunsation View Post
    Google Duramax valve adjustment and others have gotten it done to quiet the chatter of the diesel motor. Diesel place.com and others have mentioned it, even saying the valve tolerances should be gapped at .012.

Now I did hesitate when he mentioned it needed new spark plugs!
    Those spark plugs should be changed at 200k. There special and the diesel fuel keeps them from rusting the gap so they last longer!

18. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    I have an '03 LB7 motor that had the injectors done last year. Other than that, the drive train is rock-solid. My only complaints with the truck are the sterring shaft, slip yoke, and instrument panel/leds. 147k on the original brakes, 4th set of tires.
    Boat-less...

19. Collapse Details

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TMS1155 View Post
    Those spark plugs should be changed at 200k. There special and the diesel fuel keeps them from rusting the gap so they last longer!
    SPARK PLUGS??????? in a diesel,,,i thought they are glow plugs !!

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DAREDEVIL View Post
    SPARK PLUGS??????? in a diesel,,,i thought they are glow plugs !!
    DD I was joking and he was being sarcastic.....