Thread: Good job GM!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Griswald View Post
    I have an '03 LB7 motor that had the injectors done last year. Other than that, the drive train is rock-solid. My only complaints with the truck are the sterring shaft, slip yoke, and instrument panel/leds. 147k on the original brakes, 4th set of tires.

There is a newer fix on the steering shaft, mine has about 55K on it without a "bump." They finally got the fix to work right.

2. Collapse Details

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JupiterSunsation View Post
    DD I was joking and he was being sarcastic.....
    U never know with u guys....LOL

3. Collapse Details

Registered
    i had a '03 1500HD w/187k on it that I had to get rid of last year when i lost my job. Never did anything but change the tires, filters, and battery once. Great truck, hated to see it go, expected it to go 500k easy. they quit making the 1500HD too and I'm ready for a new one. They don't make the 1500 crew with a standard bed though, only a short bed. guess i'm getting a 2500.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by publius View Post
    i had a '03 1500HD w/187k on it that I had to get rid of last year when i lost my job. Never did anything but change the tires, filters, and battery once. Great truck, hated to see it go, expected it to go 500k easy. they quit making the 1500HD too and I'm ready for a new one. They don't make the 1500 crew with a standard bed though, only a short bed. guess i'm getting a 2500.
    Never could see a lot of difference between a 1500HD and 2500HD, they were damn near identical right down to the 8 lug wheels.

5. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    There is a newer fix on the steering shaft, mine has about 55K on it without a "bump." They finally got the fix to work right.
    Is it another replacement shaft or something else? Don't tell me they're putting thicker grease in it?
    Boat-less...

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Griswald View Post
    Is it another replacement shaft or something else? Don't tell me they're putting thicker grease in it?
    New design totally.....that grease trick was just a 30K mile patch!

7. Collapse Details

the intermediate steering shafts are a common problem on alot of gm vehicles

8. Collapse Details

I have a 2004 Silverado Z71. I recently replaced the water pump at 140k miles.

Other than oil changes at 10k mile intervals and tires every 60k miles, I have not had to spend any money on the truck.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Medicine View Post
    the intermediate steering shafts are a common problem on alot of gm vehicles
    Turns out it is also a problem on some other makes and models. My wife's '05 Avalon developed a similar clunk in the wheel as my '04 2500HD had. I was describing the problem to the tech at the dealership and referenced the GM shaft problem and he smiled and said yup, that is exactly what the problem is on the Toyota. Same fix as with the Chevy too. Remove the shaft, grease it using some syringes, and replace.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me View Post
    Turns out it is also a problem on some other makes and models. My wife's '05 Avalon developed a similar clunk in the wheel as my '04 2500HD had. I was describing the problem to the tech at the dealership and referenced the GM shaft problem and he smiled and said yup, that is exactly what the problem is on the Toyota. Same fix as with the Chevy too. Remove the shaft, grease it using some syringes, and replace.
    Ha Ha... I'm a toyota tech and fix them steering shafts all the time, But my Dmax has had 2 shafts and still has a clunk and we are also a gmc dealer!!!!!IMHO there is no fix for a gmc steering clunk. change it,lube it , it will be back!

11. Collapse Details

http://www.bigearl.net/business/duramax-diesel.htm I run the Duramax / Isuzu motors in my box trucks. They are a great piece!

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tcuda499 View Post
    Ha Ha... I'm a toyota tech and fix them steering shafts all the time, But my Dmax has had 2 shafts and still has a clunk and we are also a gmc dealer!!!!!IMHO there is no fix for a gmc steering clunk. change it,lube it , it will be back!
    GM has a new part/fix and it has been holding up 60K miles so far (usually they start clunking after 30K). A mechanic explained the difference in the design but I was only half listening since I thought he was BS'ing me!

13. Collapse Details

GM has a new part/fix and it has been holding up 60K miles so far (usually they start clunking after 30K). A mechanic explained the difference in the design but I was only half listening since I thought he was BS'ing me!
    the last one shaft I had installed on my 06 has held up perfect since Aug 08, 64k now the previous grease injection didn't work out for them at all...
    does Santa's sleigh have a blower ?

14. Collapse Details

Good story! I plan to keep my 2500 HD Duramax a loooong time too.

I had my intermediate shaft replaced (see link) at the dealer no charge and no problems so far.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/Bl...ring_shaft.pdf

15. Collapse Details

Banana Bend, Texas 29 50 49.84N, 95 05 17.46W
    100k miles on my 06 Duramax, what an awesome machine. Two egr motor codes that reset themselves and thats it. It is hell on the rear tires though
    Mark
    Everybody should believe in something; I believe I'll have another drink.

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Wobble View Post
    100k miles on my 06 Duramax, what an awesome machine. Two egr motor codes that reset themselves and thats it. It is hell on the rear tires though
    My 2004.5 LLY 2500 HD Crew Cab DMax was one I really regret letting go of. Especially now that the new ones are listing around $59K! I would go through a set of BFG AT KO's in about 22K miles. It would just eat the right rear tire.

17. Collapse Details

Banana Bend, Texas 29 50 49.84N, 95 05 17.46W
    Quote Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me View Post
    My 2004.5 LLY 2500 HD Crew Cab DMax was one I really regret letting go of. Especially now that the new ones are listing around $59K! I would go through a set of BFG AT KO's in about 22K miles. It would just eat the right rear tire.
    The posi works well enough that they wear about the same
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1000498 [800x600].jpg   P1000834a.JPG  
    Mark
    Everybody should believe in something; I believe I'll have another drink.

18. Collapse Details

Sorry but i wont buy a OBUMER made product. Plus I realy like my smooth steering, riding other truck. Steering problem clunking are not something I would drive period.

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Wobble View Post
    The posi works well enough that they wear about the same
    Ha! I only ever did that once. I towed a lot and even with constant rotation the right rear wore significantly faster than any other tire. Which is to be expected.

20. Collapse Details

Mini hi-jack:

I've been meaning to ask about brakes. I have 70K on a 06 F350 SRW 6.0 diesel. Tow 9K LBS about 100 miles a year, other than that just normal driving, little stop/go on the 18 mile drive to work, etc. I know it varies but what is normal time to have the brakes done? I always thought it was like 60K miles or some thing but never had a vehicle this long so really don't know. It drives fine, just don't want to press my luck and every time I've had the local lube joint check them, they say they are fine. New tires at 60K, other than that 0 issues.