Thread: Noreaster?

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeybandit View Post
    This is from Monmouth Beach. Starting to get nasty out there. My son goes to MAST on Sandy Hook and they have to walk outside to get to each class.

http://www.njsurfer.com/
    My son graduated from there in 98. Last class to have shop.10% of kids 90% of trouble!
    Great place for a school aint it?

2. Collapse Details

Pretty interesting about the MAST Program there for anyone that hasn't heard of it.
    The Marine Academy of Science and Technology (M.A.S.T.) is a coeducational four-year magnet public high school located in Sandy Hook, in Monmouth County, New Jersey, United States, serving students in ninth through twelfth grade. The school offers learning in all subjects, specializing in marine technology and science. It is one of five career academies administered by the Monmouth County Vocational School District (MCVSD). The M.A.S.T. program requires each student to participate in the Naval Junior Reserve Officers' Training Corps (NJROTC).

And they can Screw this up too....... Geronimo and I spend a lot of time here @ Plum Island
    Annual Cardboard Boat Armada
    In early June, M.A.S.T. hosts its Freshman Cardboard Boat Armada at Plum Island, on Sandy Hook. Beginning in mid to late April, teams of up to seven freshmen are subject to design and build a cardboard boat, along with enough cardboard paddles to support their team. The teams are limited to a specific amount of cardboard based on their combined total weight, and are also limited to a can of rubber cement and 3 cans of caulk (although, humorously, some are said to have used over 11.) On the day of the Armada, Plum Island is flooded with reporters from local newspapers and news channels. During the 2008 Armada Challenge, 8 boats survived, 3 sank, and 1 disintegrated afterwards. Some names of teams from the 2008 challenge include Boogzy-Boo and The Conundrum Crew, The Polar Bear Rescue Squad, Six Chicks, Tippy Turtlez, and The Lady Vikes.

The Cardboard Boat Armada in 2009 will be the last Armada to be held at The Marine Academy. The Technology Teacher who organizes this project has cited safety and environmental impacts as reasons for discontinuing the project. it has been said that breathing in the Rubber Cement when applying it to the boats is not good for the students. The end of the year project will instead be changed to a Water-related project.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jhenrie View Post
    I had a house walking distance from the wobbly barn , thank god. Nite spot for happy hour apres ski for a couple goombay smashes and some pizza from that wood fired oven. Hit the wobbly late if we were still standing . Those were the days. I want to ski but my knees say NO GO !!!!!
    Goombay Smashes....got hooked on them in the Bahamas
    AT Cult Member since 1999

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo36 View Post
    I usually try to start going right after Christmas. One year we were @ Killington for New Years and another year @ Hunter, great times!!! I like going early and late to beat the -20 degree weather days...

I haven't gone to Sunday River or Jay Peak but would like to go sometime! How are those mountains, are they snowboard friendly?

Can't beat the nightlife in Killington!!! "Wobbly Barn"

Is the Pickle Barrel still up near Killington? Haven't been there in years but had some good times. Need to get back into skiing to make the winter go by.

5. Collapse Details

SHARKEY-IMAGES
    Quote Originally Posted by jhenrie View Post

The Cardboard Boat Armada in 2009 will be the last Armada to be held at The Marine Academy. The Technology Teacher who organizes this project has cited safety and environmental impacts as reasons for discontinuing the project. it has been said that breathing in the Rubber Cement when applying it to the boats is not good for the students. The end of the year project will instead be changed to a Water-related project.
    Have they not heard of charcoal respirators ?

So sad they would cancel this over something they can take common sense precautions...

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by R'Addiction View Post
    Goombay Smashes....got hooked on them in the Bahamas
    I got hooked on them @ killington !!! Had a good bartender @ paradise island that made them the best though !!!

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by SHARKEY-IMAGES View Post
    Have they not heard of charcoal respirators ?

So sad they would cancel this over something they can take common sense precautions...
    Lets take up a collection and donate some. Maybe it would be a good safety lesson for the Kids , and the sponsor of the event !!!

8. Collapse Details

These are from yesterday at Sandy Hook. Wind was howling.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0272.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	43989

Name:	IMG_0269.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	43990

Name:	IMG_0270.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	43.1 KB 
ID:	43991

9. Collapse Details

Founding Member/Contributor Sean Stinson's Avatar
    Thats not surf.....THIS IS SURF WEST COAST STYLE.....and we ain't riding bathtub waves!!!!!

Also you can judge the size by the helicopter in one and the 6' surfer in the other one!!!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cortez Bank.jpg   Cortez  Bank 2.jpg   Cortez Bank 3.jpg  

God forgives.....The 1% doesn't!!!!!!

10. Collapse Details

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Stinson View Post
    Thats not surf.....THIS IS SURF WEST COAST STYLE.....and we ain't riding bathtub waves!!!!!

Also you can judge the size by the helicopter in one and the 6' surfer in the other one!!!!!!
    on my monitor they are not that big,,,1 inch maybe !!!!

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DAREDEVIL View Post
    on my monitor they are not that big,,,1 inch maybe !!!!
    Everything you germans have is small....

12. Collapse Details

Everything you germans have is small....
    Not everything... but how should you know ??
    Offshore Racing wasn´t designed to be a spectator sport, it's for people or companies with's lots of money to push the envelope of endurance technology and hopefully put a trophy on a mantle. It's man vs the elements, not like boats with like engines running in circles.

13. Collapse Details

Ofshore bouys were reporting 19 ft seas this morning and 13 ft nearshore.

I was talking to my buddy last night, Seabright was flooded and it was supposed to flood again this morning. One of the tiki bars were lost to the ocean from the beach erosion.

14. Collapse Details

go paddle your canoe!
    that was a good one

But who´s the one with the indian boat here would I like for a reply...
    Offshore Racing wasn´t designed to be a spectator sport, it's for people or companies with's lots of money to push the envelope of endurance technology and hopefully put a trophy on a mantle. It's man vs the elements, not like boats with like engines running in circles.

15. Collapse Details

Can't beat those pacific swells, especially @ Mavericks!

But hey, we do get em here every now and then// ....not as big but we do... this is me surfing seabright public beach from a bunch of years ago. the close-out wave was a definite oh-chit moment. No sissies allowed!

I've surfed a lot in the pacific and I must say you get spoiled over there.... Not only from the waves being around most of the time but how most of the surf spots are point breaks which makes the paddle-outs much easier.. One time in El Salvador I surfed for over an hour without having to go under water.

It's wave season again on the East Coast!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails seabright 1.JPG   seabright 2.JPG   seabright 3.JPG  

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyFIN View Post
    that was a good one

But who´s the one with the indian boat here would I like for a reply...
    My canoe actually runs!

17. Collapse Details

Ofshore bouys were reporting 19 ft seas this morning and 13 ft nearshore.

I was talking to my buddy last night, Seabright was flooded and it was supposed to flood again this morning. One of the tiki bars were lost to the ocean from the beach erosion.
    I would love to go boating in that stuff

18. Collapse Details

This noreaster wasn't as bad as Friday's... the winds are more north than northeast this time around so the waves weren't as big.. It's actually starting the clean up and is almost surfable!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails latest.jpg  

19. Collapse Details

Here are few from LBI today. This was at low tide.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0094.jpg   IMG_0096.jpg   IMG_0093.jpg  

20. Collapse Details

One time in El Salvador I surfed for over an hour without having to go under water.
    One time at Bandcamp
    JC PERFORMANCE ENGINES

ON THE CHIP RACING

2006,07 National Champions