Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Cover vs shrinkwrap
    Want to do some work on my boat in early spring so thinking of not shrinkwraping this year.Does anyone do that? Would buy a full cover.

2. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    Shrink wrap and have a zipper installed. Covers are a pita

3. Collapse Details
    Thumbs up
    Hey Tim, I cover with full mooring, down past the rub rail. I know it's far less expensive than even half tank of fuel ... But I just refuse to pay the $300 / yr to THROW AWAY a cover I paid about $1K for the cover, but have owned boat now for 5 winters

Even if I need to get into boat it has a draw string that helps make that very easy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picture 007.jpg  

4. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Before I had a big enough garage, I would build a homemade carport type deal. But, with how cheap the ones you put up with canvas cover are currently, I'd probably go that way. Plus, if you want to work on it in the winter, you just throw a propane salamander in there and go to work in about an hour.....
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

5. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    10'Wx32'Lx10'H House Portable Garage

Retail Price: $649.99
    Your Price: $615.00
    Item Number: SZ103210H
    Weight: 460 Lbs.
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

6. Collapse Details

I was thinking the same thing, i have a full cover, but the winters and extreme cold can really mess with the fibers. I think I'm going to remove everything that needs to be worked on, then shrink wrap in late Nov early December and then remove first of March providing no snow then. that way I'm covered right during the worst 3 months.

7. Collapse Details

Founding Member/Contributor Sean Stinson's Avatar
    Full cover is the way to go if you are working on it.....What happened to the Marina deal?????
    God forgives.....The 1% doesn't!!!!!!

8. Collapse Details

registered
    I have never shrink wrapped. Full cover for me

9. Collapse Details

I use the full trailering cover and it works great. Just use the same Damp-Rid or similar dampness removal canisters you would if you shrink wrapped it.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Offshoredrillin View Post
    I was thinking the same thing, i have a full cover, but the winters and extreme cold can really mess with the fibers. I think I'm going to remove everything that needs to be worked on, then shrink wrap in late Nov early December and then remove first of March providing no snow then. that way I'm covered right during the worst 3 months.
    I use my full cover half of the time (fall/spring) and wrap over the winter. When I'm doing a lot of work I raise the engine hatch and build "fort apache". Also, one year my buddy had a car-port frame and I shrink wrapped over top of the carport and over the bow, all the way down to the ground and put two doors, one 10 ft door and one 4' door so he could get in it. It was basically a full garage.

I've seen many a couple $G covers ruined by snow getting into the fibers, especially freezing rain. The canvas gets very brittle when it gets moisture, even with waterproofing and the snow needs to be brushed off the canvas, opening the door evne more to be ruined. If a shrink-wrap cover is high enough you won't need to sweep the snow off.

Also, I notice there's a lot more moisture in the boat when I use the cover vs. the wrap. Properly vented wrap will keep it drier from my experience.

The past 10 years I wrap about a dozen boats a season but when I was working at the marina I did about 100 a season. Tim, if you need shrink wrapping done I can take a ride down and do it for you. If you're interested give me a buzz.

Frank
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1127081006.jpg   1127081008.jpg  
    Last edited by Geronimo36; 10-12-2009 at 10:26 AM.

11. Collapse Details

Few more pictures... hatch was down this year but still 6' headroom inside.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails shrinkwrap 001 (Medium).jpg   shrinkwrap 002 (Medium).jpg   shrinkwrap 003 (Medium).jpg  

12. Collapse Details

I have always made winter canvas for the cig and the carver. Pay once, then get to use in for many years.
    you just have to make sure that you use enough supports for the snow and ice loads

13. Collapse Details

www.uline.com

You can get 150 x 16 roll for about $150 the torch is a little high at 600 but once you are set up do yours and degray the cost with a few freinds its not very expensive

14. Collapse Details

I guess it is a personal preference. I agree with Geronimo. Shrink wrap will keep it drier. The full covers are nice and expensive. They will last 10 years or more but, they are not designed for snow and ice. If your boat is subject to snow laying on it and you don't wont to sweep it off every time Shrink wrap it. Shrink wrap is completely care free. All other alternatives require some level of care.

15. Collapse Details

I used to think that shrink wrap was completely carefree until I found an inside storage place for about the same price as shrink.
    Warning: This post may contain language unsuitable for minors or math not suitable for liberal-arts majors.

16. Collapse Details

My biggest fear with winter covers in CATS. Those dam things find there way in everything. Thy even find there way in to some inside storage.. I purchased a critter repellent sound devise. I have seen what cats can do.. It can get real ugly. Never seen them get in a shrink wrapped boat.

Yes, indoor is great. I think Shrink wrap is next best thing. I can't count the hours I have spent in my life sweeping snow off covers...

17. Collapse Details

Registered
    The most important par tof shrink wrapping is to make sure the boat is completly dry and put a LOT of vents in the shrink wrap. They will provide some air flow and prevent the petri dish effect once it warms up in the spring.

When I lived outside Detroit three friends and I bought a torch, bunch of tape and a couple rolls of wrap and we self taught how to wrap. Can't do it on a windy day and don't drop the torch. Otherwise it's easy to learn and once the boat is ready to cover you can do four boats on a weekend.

you can find other uses for the wrap also. I stack all our outdoor furniture, BBQ, flowerpots etc and shrink the whole pile. Saves room in the garage.

Also if you're careful you can reuse the wrap a another year.
    ed

18. Collapse Details

I have always had indoor storage, but Last year my buddy had a family of squirrels get under his cover for the winter. It was such a mess I would have set fire to it in the driveway if it was mine. Chewed up seats, carpet, subwoofer. I guess they get bored in the winter.

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN View Post
    My biggest fear with winter covers in CATS. Those dam things find there way in everything. Thy even find there way in to some inside storage.. I purchased a critter repellent sound devise. I have seen what cats can do.. It can get real ugly. Never seen them get in a shrink wrapped boat.

Yes, indoor is great. I think Shrink wrap is next best thing. I can't count the hours I have spent in my life sweeping snow off covers...
    The next door neighbor at my old house had cats in his center console once because he tarped instead of shrink. I am not sure, but I think that he paid a guy to come take the boat away.
    Warning: This post may contain language unsuitable for minors or math not suitable for liberal-arts majors.

20. Collapse Details

If you have any snow load at all I would shrink wrap. If it's done correctly the snow will fall right off. I can't tell you how many boats would come into the marina with broken windshields from people trying to build their own tents or use the covers. My dad had his Sea Ray wraped for three years due to health problems, when I opened it up it was like the day we put it away. Put in plenty of vents and use drier sheets to keep the rodents out.