Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by T2x View Post
    It's probably a good thing that you did...... My issue with the Reggie thing is that even though I am far from a blind supporter of him or his products, I think this issue is far too serious for a lot of speculation.

On the other hand the thread has stimulated a lot of healthy debate.

To the point of a bankruptcy (regardless of the brand to keep this neutral) being good or bad for the industry. There are three separate answers to that question.

1. It is bad for the employees, customers and dealers of the affected company.
    2. it is good for the remaining competing brands, their employees, dealers , and customers who have one less competitor in a down market.
    3. As far as the industry's "image" is concerned and the thought that it might somehow send a performance boater to a more traditional product like Sea Ray, the last time I checked Sea Ray and other cruiser manufacturers are struggling just as much as the performance boat segment....if not more.

In the past 40 years I have started and run no less than 6 companies (3 in transportation, 2 performance and race boat manufacturing, 1 video sales) and, by the grace of God and maybe a little skill and passion, have never experienced a bankruptcy. At the risk of being redundant.....and I am nothing if not consistent...... try looking at this from the big picture. There are far too many boat, car, trailer, truck, airplane, and motorhome manufacturers and dealers for the current economy. Many of them build a mediocre product, spend too much on marketing,and have too many sales outlets. In addition banks are reluctant to fund either their business model or their retail sales at this time. This is a perfect time to "weed out deadwood" as Ratickle has suggested, and leave a cadre of "survivors" who are time and battle tested for that moment when the economy returns......if it ever really does. My point is, should the economy never return to the robust cash machine that we have experienced in an ever rising cycle dating back to the 50's.....or (in the best case IMHO)......not re-invigorate until the damage done by our elected officials in the past year is undone (decades?),......... then the loss of any one company is only the beginning of the complete decimation of the entire recreational motor vehicle industry. Just like the big box stores have all but eliminated the local toy, electronics and home appliance stores,take a good look at your regional Bass Pro Shops/Cabela's boat and engine department. That very well might be the model for the future of the retail marine industry. In the face of that spectre the proliferation of performance brands ranging from offshore vees and cats to Colorado river deckboats and runabouts makes no sense at all. To try and "save" a company....or to make this a plea for sympathy around lost jobs and revenues is moot as well. It is what it is and must be dealt with professionally, not with emotion.

This certainly isn't what I wish for....but it is what I see.

T2x

I agree

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Powerabout View Post
    in this environment
    outperform means
    not going down as fast as we thought
    Agreed - Great ponit!!

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by powerabout View Post
    in this environment
    outperform means
    not going down as fast as we thought

bingo

4. Collapse Details

Latest reads like a soap opera. www.tradeonlytoday.com

5. Collapse Details

Sounds to me like it was going well with oxford until they wanted to change something. It does sound as if the guy they sent out was a real horses *** but still in the end it just boils down to who wants to change from the top down and who does not. Just because something has been done a certain way (the business owners way) does not mean it is the best way it is just an opinion.

Kinda makes you wonder if the guy was changing locks and saying nobody comes or goes without his permision if there was a thought of some assets leaving the property.

I would love to have someone come in and finance my business after I have sucked it dry and tell me just to work on marketing it now. Wouldn't that be all the fun. It would probably humble reggie to much to have to ask someone to take a boat out.

6. Collapse Details

Latest "soap opera" happened today when one Long Island racer told all around that one Bill Gates ( not THE) is Reggies new Boss while both where there having a good time enyoing the hospitality.
    Offshore Racing wasn´t designed to be a spectator sport, it's for people or companies with's lots of money to push the envelope of endurance technology and hopefully put a trophy on a mantle. It's man vs the elements, not like boats with like engines running in circles.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyFIN View Post
    Latest "soap opera" happened today when one Long Island racer told all around that one Bill Gates ( not THE) is Reggies new Boss while both where there having a good time enyoing the hospitality.
    Does he have a Gate around Fountain???As in Gates
    Last edited by Slandrew; 11-13-2009 at 10:26 PM.

8. Collapse Details

I just read an article on oso in the fountain forum about this. Reggie said nobody could sell a boat without him at the helm. We knew he thought it but A direct quote. I thought his ego was big but it is bigger than life. Not to take anything away from his designs or ideas but my ego would say with a great product that I designed anyone could sell it. He needs to let it go I keep hearing the economy this etc. but we all know he kept on steaming after everyone knew the ship was sinking and now he is paying for it.