Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Tank,

More than colors/bling. How about an enclosed head instead of a sh!tter box in the middle of the cabin. How about a built in cooler that drains overboard (like Nortech) instead of a igloo strapped in the corner. How about hinged compartments that don't have exposed hinges on the exterior? They wouldn't have to build the 49 if they put a/c and a generator in some of their boats for people to enjoy. Power bolsters might be a novelty some owners would enjoy as well.

If you want to keep a "classic" line like Donzi did with the 22, that is fine but to ask 500K++ for a boat missing a lot of what the competition offers is the mistake.

I don't hate Cigarettes but just observe somethings that may affect their future production expectations.

2. Collapse Details

Dont see why you need to bring Outerlimits into this Fountain/Cigarette thing..........If you truly look at things they're a step above the rest like them or not.

3. Collapse Details

He didn't get caught in it what probably happened was like homebuilders they had a month that was not up to par or two or three in a row in summer of 2006 and just kept going like things where fine instead of stopping to look at things around them.

I mean he bought a bankrupt boat business when fuel prices where higher than they have ever been and lending was at it lowest point ever and thought overseas sales would make it work. Like he could not get on the internet and realize they where having the same problems. Even if Baja was given to him he still had to change marketing move stuff store stuff make dealers stock the boats etc..

I personally have never met him I think his ego is huge and is what got him into this mess but I think the design is good well known etc. and he has built a great brand. But he drove it straight into the ground and he will lose the company and everything that goes with it.
    Last edited by db71; 10-08-2009 at 12:14 AM. Reason: spelling

4. Collapse Details

Founding Member - E Dock GENERAL LEE's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JupiterSunsation View Post
    Brandon you are a perfect example. Owned a couple of Cigs and sold the T/S boat only not to buy another (the 20 is more of a nostalgia piece). My point is many owners have moved on never to return since the product hasn't been improved/updated. Could you see yourself dropping 500K+ on a 39/700 boat anytime soon?
    That's true on many points. The main reason I didn't go with another Cigarette though, is because Vee bottoms in general weren't doing it for me anymore. It honestly had nothing to do with Cigarette specifically.

I've always liked the subtle changes that Cig has made to their boats, especially the change from the 38 to the 38T/S. The boat was a classic loved by all, so they just made it faster & sharpened the interior up at first.....sold a CHIT ton of them, then made more subtle changes, and added a staggered option.....again, like people asked for. People complain on here constantly about how "cool the old school Cigs are". They've kept it old school, while being new school as hell under their paint jobs in my opinion?

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Team Tsunami View Post
    Dont see why you need to bring Outerlimits into this Fountain/Cigarette thing..........If you truly look at things they're a step above the rest like them or not.
    Just introducing that I am not totally biased against Ciggy.
    They are turning out a lot of new products with the SL's and the cats. The 46 limited probably their best all around boat, albeit a much better buy at 2 years old/ 400K rather than a million dollar list.

They also poured on the customer service back in 2004-2006 with that 18 wheeler touring all the big poker runs. That has evaporated due to market conditions but was a huge service for their owners/buyers.

Yes they are elevated to the next level of speed/luxury.

6. Collapse Details

Many interesting points.

One more, and then I'll step back and let this go back to being a Fountain.

Did you guys know there's a engraved plaque, with Wayne Schaldenbrand's freakin' cell phone number, on the newest Sunsation? And that he'll answer it if you call?

Not to say other builder's don't provide great customer service but ... having that kind of access to a boat company principal is remarkable.

7. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Good side business plan.... I think Tiara yachts is doing something with composite fan blades for windmills or something like that in order to keep their staff busy in slow boat building times.
    Yes they are. But their sales are still down 85% as are their staff.
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

8. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by db71 View Post
    It is funny that Black thunder is mentioned because they are probably in the least trouble. They actually have a business that is not boat builder that is where they make their money. (Don't ask me what it is).
    They are hurting just like everyone else right now. However, they are small so they can hopefully get through this mess by building one boat at a time....

9. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Trulio View Post
    Did you guys know there's a engraved plaque, with Wayne Schaldenbrand's freakin' cell phone number, on the newest Sunsation? And that he'll answer it if you call?
    He better be careful who he sells it too.......

10. Collapse Details

I hope Fountain finds a taker that will keep building them, they have a lot of followers.

As for Cigarettes, all I can say is I have owned four Cigarettes consecutively in a seven year span. One 20 Footer, One Cafe Racer (35') and Two Tigers (42').
    All were bought used making the best deal I could.
    All (like any offshore boat) had running costs related to such boats. I do not count this in the number below as I believe I have to pay to play.

Counting the pluses (We made a profit selling two of the four) and the minuses it cost us in depreciation $24k over seven years for the privilege of running a Cigarette. That is a little less than $4k a year.

Other boat brands would have been cheaper on purchase for the same boat size but you know the actual true cost of something only once you sell it.
    http://www.seriousoffshore.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=67&dateline=1262460498

11. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glh View Post
    Other boat brands would have been cheaper on purchase for the same boat size but you know the actual true cost of something only once you sell it.

As one of my professors once said, "If you give it away, you know exactly what it's worth."

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Trulio View Post
    Many interesting points.

One more, and then I'll step back and let this go back to being a Fountain.

Not to say other builder's don't provide great customer service but ... having that kind of access to a boat company principal is remarkable.
    Matt as far as Sunsation it has been that way since day 1. If you call the factory Mon-Sat at 6am either Wayne or Joe will pick up the phone. They will also treat a guy buying a used 20 year old 25 footer just as good as the owner of a new F4.

13. Collapse Details

Founding Member/Contributor Sean Stinson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Slandrew View Post
    OK you want negative how bout 2007 39 gas fumes!1988 31 bullett another bomb!20' you have to drive it yea in a lake! 38 Top gun can't sell late model!Gladiators spinning not just 1 either!Putting R&D into bieng the fastest V and failing!!So keep Fountain bashing it's because this site is about fast boats and they are not!
    Oh boy.....take it you had a bad day with a Cig at some point throughout your boating career....

The way I see it is Reggie probably needs to be tied in somehow regardless of who owns the company even if it's PR work for the mere fact that....well he is Reggie....and you have to give him credit for his marketing campaigns that brought this industry into the limelight or mainstream may be a better term to use!!!!
    God forgives.....The 1% doesn't!!!!!!

14. Collapse Details

I can't think for one minute someone would buy a boat because of who is in charge of the company. I would buy a boat because of price, quality and customer service. A company who is doing R&D into hulls for fuel economy and speed. Who knows what will happen the new owners might come out with a new awesome boat with great customer service and a higher quality level. I will say that Reggie did a great job marketing. At the end of the day we all made a purchase of a boat for several reasons and everyone is different.

15. Collapse Details

Haven't read this whole thing but...

I would not buy a cigarette if it had an enclosed head. Actually any frilly **** on it. It will all break.

I've run huge water with my cig and at some times stood it straight in the air to where I could read American Muscle down the bow 7-8 footers at 100 with a weird wave will send any boat in the air. I've come home brused and battered but other then tightening some bolts nothing has broke. Partly because there is nothing to break. I like a go fast to be just that a go fast. Not cruiser amentities with speed.

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Stinson View Post
    The way I see it is Reggie probably needs to be tied in somehow regardless of who owns the company even if it's PR work for the mere fact that....well he is Reggie....and you have to give him credit for his marketing campaigns that brought this industry into the limelight or mainstream may be a better term to use!!!!
    This brings to mind Col. Sanders or Frank Perdue " It takes a tough man to make a tender chicken"

Fountain beaks...finger lickin' good....

17. Collapse Details

I have a hard time getting down into the cabins of most performance boats. The enclosed heads all look like about the size of the glovebox in my truck.

18. Collapse Details

registered
    Actually Chris brought up the fact no one bashes Cigarette.......
    Here's a novel idea. Why don't you start an official Cigarette bashing thread?

The title of this thread is "Setback for Reggie". Instead of phucking it up with the obvious hard-on that you have for Skip and Company, start your own thread! I'll make sure that it stays on course for ya. One more thing, check your facts before posting.

Now, where were we??

19. Collapse Details

Founding Member/Contributor Sean Stinson's Avatar
    Col Sanders.....is where we were!!!!

The new regime.....well I don't have a clue what the future holds!!!!
    God forgives.....The 1% doesn't!!!!!!

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchool View Post
    Here's a novel idea. Why don't you start an official Cigarette bashing thread?

The title of this thread is "Setback for Reggie". Instead of phucking it up with the obvious hard-on that you have for Skip and Company, start your own thread! I'll make sure that it stays on course for ya. One more thing, check your facts before posting.

Now, where were we??
    WTF have you been? I figured you and Rob would have been out in force on this one! Craig nothing wrong with agreeing to disagree..... Chris's one liner about no one bashing Ciggy must have got me all fired up!