View Poll Results: Which style course is better for the sport?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • True offshore, leave and comeback

4 7.84%
  • Mix, long laps mixed in with short laps near the beach

29 56.86%
  • Short course near the beach

18 35.29%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeybandit View Post
    Could you enter an Unlimited Hydro in an offshore race in the turbine class? Would the rules prohibit this? Looking at the conditions of these races, it seems that a hydro would be able to get around these courses. Is there a rule that says you must have 2 people minimum in a boat? I wonder how these boats would compete against each other.
    I can only tell u ,don't be fooled. In Panama City last year we had 5-6 footers,
    in Miami or lauderdale always washing mashine with 3-5's, KW on the outside leg also pretty rough most of the time, even Sarasota was rough before.

Do i care ,,no,,but don't be fooled . As u should know ,,the closer to the beach the higher the roller ?? think about it.

YES , read the rule book on the website.

2 people min. and there is a length rule aswell.

2. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    Just my thoughts but to start with, each site wants to get the most bang for thier buck.
    Racers I would think the same goes for them, and racing both Saturday and Sunday only makes sense. I have watched endless programs state "Testing from 11 am to 5 Pm Saturday
    in their program only to have not stellar conditions and only a couple of boats test.
    IMO many first time fans go Saturday and are left dissapointed at the progress or excitement of the day. And dont return Sunday due to this. To go to a race Mid summer and be outside in the hot sun, sweating your A$$ off to see one or two boats run a couple laps is a joke. and a Bad one at that.
    Some where in Kenya a village is missing an Idiot!

3. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete B View Post
    Just my thoughts but to start with, each site wants to get the most bang for thier buck.
    Racers I would think the same goes for them, and racing both Saturday and Sunday only makes sense. I have watched endless programs state "Testing from 11 am to 5 Pm Saturday
    in their program only to have not stellar conditions and only a couple of boats test.
    IMO many first time fans go Saturday and are left dissapointed at the progress or excitement of the day. And dont return Sunday due to this. To go to a race Mid summer and be outside in the hot sun, sweating your A$$ off to see one or two boats run a couple laps is a joke. and a Bad one at that.
    Maybe Sunday lanes should be setup by time trials on Saturday?
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

4. Collapse Details

Banned
    Thats why its called testing not race ! So the fans should hang out at the party's and dry pits on saturdays and go to the beach on RAceday(sunday)
    I rather break in a race then on a test.
    + testing or racing on saturday costs money ,,,racefuel is not cheap.
    Just my tought.
    Alot of people don't understand ,,there is nothing realy in for us racers,,no return,,just fun and braggin rights.
    Unless you have teams like ,,,Geico,or other big sponsors.
    MOST OF THE TEAMS HAVE NON or just small ones that help with fees.
    WE PAY TO RACE, that is the major problem.
    If we would get payed it would be more boats,,more teams,,more fun and less break downs.
    But it doesen't work that way.

5. Collapse Details

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    Like i said,,it costs money,,,safety,paceboats,and on and on...........who will pay for that.
    The fans don't pay to watch (exsept in KW) so how would u do it ,,,and the bang for what buck,,,,,our buck ????

Think about it.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN View Post
    Anyway.. I get frustrated by all the deck to deck fan friendly hype. Is it a race or a show? Petes perspective is as an observer. I am looking to compete. It may not be deck to deck and still be a race. On a longer course a boat length or two lead can change from leg to leg.
    The race is not decided by the position your in at the first turn.
    I agree 100%. This is a motorsport NOT a show. If it was a show then the racers should be getting paid to race. Racers put there life on the line everytime they get into the cockpit. Fans do not dictate if a race or will not go on. We need to build a foundation first starting with the racers and the rest will fall into place. In true offshore racing teams don't always run wide open throttle, they keep pace with the leaders, they would hold the equipment together. Maybe actually more teams would finish not just run wide open. IMO

7. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    Wheelman I understand your point, but while the fans dont make the rules without them just call it a poker run!

And Daredevil, during testing there should be a helo in the air for safety divers to deploy in the event of a incident, if they are not you are being short changed. also no one said racing was cheap! no matter the vehicle, it isnt cheap.

When you start looking at other forms of racing, what is thier key to success?? Sponsors??, gated addmission??
    My opinion is professionalism, from the promotor, the media, and so forth.

8. Collapse Details

Banned
    During testing there are 2 saftey boats with divers out there.
    in the driversmeeting they tell u where they are so u test close to them.

I understand your point,,,but the fans should understand ours too.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    Just race both days. Each race is worth half points. Sunday start is inversed from Saturday finish. Teams that have bad luck/broken parts/wrong setup have a chance to make up for some of it. Basically the heat idea, but a day apart instead of 2 hours, except you get points for the half race (like Wednesday/Friday KW), not a combined finish like in heat racing. It works in P1, Class 1, etc...

Test 10-11 am
    Race 1 at 1:00
    Race 2 at 3:00

All the assests should already be in place. The cranes, medical, patrol, helos are already there for 4 or 5 hours of practice on Saturday. Why not just race both days and limit testing to an hour or two in the morning? Give the fans something to watch both days. Teague will be the only one complaining about not having 6 hours of practice to run around in.

10. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean H View Post
    Just race both days. Each race is worth half points. Sunday start is inversed from Saturday finish. Teams that have bad luck/broken parts/wrong setup have a chance to make up for some of it. Basically the heat idea, but a day apart instead of 2 hours, except you get points for the half race (like Wednesday/Friday KW), not a combined finish like in heat racing. It works in P1, Class 1, etc...

Test 10-11 am
    Race 1 at 1:00
    Race 2 at 3:00

All the assests should already be in place. The cranes, medical, patrol, helos are already there for 4 or 5 hours of practice on Saturday. Why not just race both days and limit testing to an hour or two in the morning? Give the fans something to watch both days. Teague will be the only one complaining about not having 6 hours of practice to run around in.
    I don't think Bob complains much if he's in a boat.

11. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    If there were enough boats we could have 2 or 3 two lap qualifier sprints for Sundays Main Event line up

12. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    Scott,
    Not sure but the promoters pay to have a race org come to their town, in hopes of bringing income to thier town IE bars, hotels , etc. I use KW for a example, regardless if there is one boat per class the hotels and bars are filled with fans, poker runners and cruise ships on off days. if the town did not benefit from this they WOULD NOT DO IT.
    If the races did not occur the fans would not be there to spend their money.

I realize it costs money to race, but if you are in over your head in debt, maybe you should not race until you can afford do such. OPA seems to have a good solution to the problem for the P-class type boats such as yours. however they are not in your back yard. So is it cheaper to race in you back yard and pay to race , or cheaper to race for free and pay to get there??

13. Collapse Details

I like the old NPBA model that Billy Frenz had. I think we had 7 or 8 races a season, none more than 3 or 4 hours drive. Classes were similar to APBA if not exact. Races were usually 75-100 miles and we always had a ton of boats show up. They were usually on weekends when APBA was not racing, so those of us that raced both circuits could make most of the races. I know that Michigan had something very similar. There is nothing wrong with local racing. It was always a blast, and the competition was fierce.

14. Collapse Details

Banned
    Scott,
    Not sure but the promoters pay to have a race org come to their town, in hopes of bringing income to thier town IE bars, hotels , etc. I use KW for a example, regardless if there is one boat per class the hotels and bars are filled with fans, poker runners and cruise ships on off days. if the town did not benefit from this they WOULD NOT DO IT.
    If the races did not occur the fans would not be there to spend their money.

I realize it costs money to race, but if you are in over your head in debt, maybe you should not race until you can afford do such. OPA seems to have a good solution to the problem for the P-class type boats such as yours. however they are not in your back yard. So is it cheaper to race in you back yard and pay to race , or cheaper to race for free and pay to get there??
    I thik its cheaper to pay and race here. But its not really what i ment.
    If like u said,,it would not be for the fans (beach few racing) the city's would not get money in.
    Sofar they all thanked us fro booming up the $ in they'r town,,no matter where it was.
    I do it because i love it .

15. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeybandit View Post
    I like the old NPBA model that Billy Frenz had. I think we had 7 or 8 races a season, none more than 3 or 4 hours drive. Classes were similar to APBA if not exact. Races were usually 75-100 miles and we always had a ton of boats show up. They were usually on weekends when APBA was not racing, so those of us that raced both circuits could make most of the races. I know that Michigan had something very similar. There is nothing wrong with local racing. It was always a blast, and the competition was fierce.
    That's similar to OPA except OPA used a 12 hour drive model for their circle of races.

16. Collapse Details

Founding Member/Contributor Sean Stinson's Avatar
    So at this point it looks as if a mixed course would be the favorite of the majority vote!! So why couldn't a course like the old key west course be used?????
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Key%20West%201986%20course%20map1.jpg  
    God forgives.....The 1% doesn't!!!!!!

17. Collapse Details

Founding Member/Contributor Sean Stinson's Avatar
    The course for mixed laps was as follows,
    Super, Open, and modifies was 1 long 2 short
    Pro Stock 1 long 1 short
    Pretty much the rest of the classes were all short laps
    God forgives.....The 1% doesn't!!!!!!

18. Collapse Details

Sean, the short lap is 28 and the long is 41 miles.

That would be something. It went around Sand Key which marks the edge of the reef.

I suspect nobody wants any part of that.

The following year it was about 20 %. shorter

19. Collapse Details

It is 10 miles to turn one.

Even the storm leg to the short turn would be extremely long by todays standards. That would be a great course similar to what APBA ran in '01.

That is what we should be racing.

20. Collapse Details

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Key%20West%201986%20course%20map1 2.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	122.5 KB 
ID:	43173

If you look closely in the harbor you can see the approximate present day course.