View Poll Results: Which style course is better for the sport?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • True offshore, leave and comeback

4 7.84%
  • Mix, long laps mixed in with short laps near the beach

29 56.86%
  • Short course near the beach

18 35.29%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Founding Member/Contributor Sean Stinson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SVL66 View Post
    theres not enough boats on the course to make a beach front race exciting. If you send them offshore, the fans will get bored after a drink or 2 and forget there is a race goin on. The more time that lapses without some kind of close racing, the more fans become disinterested. Just my perspective
    ok riddle me this......Why in the days of old were there more fans, more boats, and more things to do at an event then compared to now!!!
    God forgives.....The 1% doesn't!!!!!!

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by SVL66 View Post
    theres not enough boats on the course to make a beach front race exciting. If you send them offshore, the fans will get bored after a drink or 2 and forget there is a race goin on. The more time that lapses without some kind of close racing, the more fans become disinterested. Just my perspective
    How excited do these people look? The boats are right in front of them and they aren't watching.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3092ca11.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	14.8 KB 
ID:	43090

3. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeybandit View Post
    How excited do these people look? The boats are right in front of them and they aren't watching.

I would say that "yes" they arent intrested, because they dont know what the Hell is going on! I know several people approached me and ask questions as to "WHO" was winning, and much to my amusement I couldnt give a answer, because I didnt know other than Geico in Turbine, and AMSOIL in Cat Lite, in the second race, first race Miccosukee, Fluid sealing second, Throttle up 3rd. TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Many classes to keep up with and when reading the results finding out boats are running in 2 classes at once.
    Some where in Kenya a village is missing an Idiot!

4. Collapse Details

I voted for the Mix but Really would´ve like to have True offshore but thenagain close racing is good too.
    Offshore Racing wasn´t designed to be a spectator sport, it's for people or companies with's lots of money to push the envelope of endurance technology and hopefully put a trophy on a mantle. It's man vs the elements, not like boats with like engines running in circles.

5. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Stinson View Post
    ok riddle me this......Why in the days of old were there more fans, more boats, and more things to do at an event then compared to now!!!
    I am still trying to figure out how the fan friendly thing is measured. I don't get it. It seems in attempt to make it fan friendly the objective has been lost.

I doubt the spectator fleet in Clearwater would have minded being a few miles off the beach for the outside leg.

6. Collapse Details

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeyFIN View Post
    I voted for the Mix but Really would´ve like to have True offshore but thenagain close racing is good too.
    I am with u Mika,,,to far offshore and the fans and sponsors would not get a return on theyr investment.

Mix is cool.

7. Collapse Details

Banned
    Because there was more "FREE" money around. U should now that.
    Now u need sponsors and they want people to see the decal !!!!!

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN View Post
    I am still trying to figure out how the fan friendly thing is measured. I don't get it. It seems in attempt to make it fan friendly the objective has been lost.

I doubt the spectator fleet in Clearwater would have minded being a few miles off the beach for the outside leg.
    A triangle racecourse would´ve actually worked perfect there..put a chicane somewhere too just for measure so the Fans will see some rooster and close racing the next time.
    Offshore Racing wasn´t designed to be a spectator sport, it's for people or companies with's lots of money to push the envelope of endurance technology and hopefully put a trophy on a mantle. It's man vs the elements, not like boats with like engines running in circles.

9. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeybandit View Post

But that's because there was no "race". What was there in side by side, or nose to tail racing????? 1 class?????

Heck, I love races and racing, and I'm usually bored by lap two. LOTO had a couple of sweet races. Last years world's had 3 total races from what I recall.
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

10. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DAREDEVIL View Post
    Because there was more "FREE" money around. U should now that.
    Now u need sponsors and they want people to see the decal !!!!!
    I'll make a list.....

More "characters" who were built up on TV and in magazines, including movie stars.

More "seed" money.

TV coverage, even though there were only a few stations for people to watch.

More "run what you built" racing.

Less "one manufacturer" rules.

Crashes and the unfortunate side effects that go along with it.

Run in any water. No cancellation of races because "the water is too rough".

Less competition for fans and interest.

You can go on and on. But, remember one thing. In the late 90's, early 00's the offshore world may have been at its peak. That's the model to review and figure out how to get that back, and figure out what killed it. And it's not just one thing. It was a list of things. And there was almost as much competition for the fan, and money, then as now.....

11. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    From what I can remember late 70's, long races, not too many classes the star class was OPEN Class, the 80's brought the movie stars and of course the white powder that put offshore racing on the map! along with many in Jail or 6ft under, the late 90 saw the transitition to the more close to the beach venue, (not sure but some wanted to distance themselves from the nose candy business) the late 90's and early 00's brought political
    strife etc.

12. Collapse Details

Banned
    Pete, how would u do it as a fotographer so it makes sense to u ,the racers and the fans ???

By the way ,,still waiting on the proofs. LOL

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    But that's because there was no "race". What was there in side by side, or nose to tail racing????? 1 class?????
    What are talking about. In Key West The starts took the entire harbor. The boats came out stretching shore to shore. 4 or 5 starts in a row of 20 or more boats.

In 93 or 94 there were some many A boats the split the race into twins and singles. There were something like 30 of them.. Imagine 15 Twin outboard 24 Skaters and almost as many V's with twin 200's. That was just 2 of the numerous starts.

The run to the first turn was longer than a whole lap now. That was racing. When you came in the harbor completing first lap you had done something. Not some joy ride. Then you would head out for more.

You would come in the harbor again, collect your thoughts, shake off your white knuckles and head out again. As you headed out you could see how was coming in behind you.

There really is no comparison. Even the old storm courses where a challenge compared to the short courses now. Now its just a collection of short sprints. It used to be so different..

14. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    What are talking about.
    I was talking about the picture referenced at Clearwater. People were bored because there was no race other than Crazy Chicken and Simmons from what I saw. Was there another?

15. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    The Fans need to be able to understand the classes that are running, hence fewer classes,
    When those that know about Offshore cant figure it out how the hell is a first time viewer?? the beach side race is great, because if bored you have the sun and fun.

From a photography standpoint, side by side, deck to deck racing.

and I need a e-mail address to send proofs!

16. Collapse Details

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    I was talking about the picture referenced at Clearwater. People were bored because there was no race other than Crazy Chicken and Simmons from what I saw. Was there another?
    The race to the bar....maybe.

Things don't always turn out the way they should ,,,all we can do is try to make it better. BUT HOW...is the question nobody has the answer just yet.

It takes money,,,lots of it not just ideas and memories.

17. Collapse Details

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete B View Post
    The Fans need to be able to understand the classes that are running, hence fewer classes,
    When those that know about Offshore cant figure it out how the hell is a first time viewer?? the beach side race is great, because if bored you have the sun and fun.

From a photography standpoint, side by side, deck to deck racing.

and I need a e-mail address to send proofs!
    e-mail send !!! LOL

18. Collapse Details

Well sorry about my disconnected rant. I must have imagine your comment coupled with OPEN class I saw in Petes comments.

19. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Well sorry about my disconnected rant. I must have imagine your comment coupled with OPEN class I saw in Petes comments.
    No problem. You can blame the drugs......

20. Collapse Details

Anyway.. I get frustrated by all the deck to deck fan friendly hype. Is it a race or a show? Petes perspective is as an observer. I am looking to compete. It may not be deck to deck and still be a race. On a longer course a boat length or two lead can change from leg to leg.
    The race is not decided by the position your in at the first turn.