Thread: F650 4WD or 2WD

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    F650 4WD or 2WD
    Looking at 650 for towing the boat.
    Found a nice 4x4 that Im very interested in however some are saying the center of gravity on the 4x4 is too high. Ramps in NJ suck and 4WD would help Im sure, use it often with my excursion.
    Also would like to know weather these things will run in the snow w/ 4WD.
    Anyone driven both?
    Who tows with a 4WD that I can talk to ?

2. Collapse Details

4wd is unnecessary with a medium. If a ramp was that bad, I wouldn't try it with a 4wd dually.

Mediums are much heavier which greatly aids traction and most people ballast the rear to improve the ride quality- especially empty.

The big problem with the 4wd medium is the weight of the front axle. It's unsprung weight and that means it's going to give you a really bad ride quality, will bounce around on bumps, be much louder and such. Plus it's going to open up your turning radius.

I have an Excursion as well and I agree that pulling something big can be a challenge. With the Freightliner it's effortless.

As far as snow, I live in Ohio and travel the region. I've never seen a 4wd plow truck on a highway.

3. Collapse Details

4 x 4 F-650 will drive like a Mack Truck. stay away

4. Collapse Details

Our 650 sucks in the snow
    2nd Annual Sunsation Factory Open House. April 10th-11th. Don't miss this preseason event!

Check us out on FACEBOOK

5. Collapse Details

We tow with a GMC C4500 2WD..have never had a problem..it has limited slip and traction control...I guess it's all in the weight of the truck!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.jpg  

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by chris sunsation View Post
    You need to add ballast weight in the rear. Solves all the trucks traction problems and greatly improves the ride. The pickup bed weighs about nothing.

7. Collapse Details

with a 650 you would have air ride, being that you could load the boat foward to create more tonque weight to cure the traction problem with no effect on the truck level

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Bgchuby01 View Post
    with a 650 you would have air ride, being that you could load the boat foward to create more tonque weight to cure the traction problem with no effect on the truck level
    That would work, but only when the boat is on the trailer.

9. Collapse Details

True, When I had the peterbilt I prayed for a heavy trailer to give a better ride. With that truck I never had a problem pulling a boat out of the water. But its a Pete

10. Collapse Details

Is yours 4WD?

Ballast no doubt, I agree. 40,000lbs of salt is what the 2WD plow truck in my area typically use. Id could go for a couple g's of steel plate if thats what it took but if it aint gonna go, it aint gonna go. I would think ballast / weight would help ride quality in general.
    The question of snow, would be to use it for snowmobile trailering. If I were a plow driver I wouldnt be parking in in some of the driveways we do.

Primary use is to pull a boat so the real concern would be what effect the elevated height and additional axle weight has on ride quality. I do understand this is a truck and not an SUV.

Anyone have a 4x4 or have driven both?

Thanks for the feedback

11. Collapse Details

Sunsations 650 is 2Wd

12. Collapse Details

My Freightliner has about 3K of extra weight on the rear axle. It's an FL 70 so it has 22.5's and very heavy rear suspension. And it does not slip. The smaller tires of a low-pro aren't going to be nearly as good in the snow as the 22.5's.

Plow trucks start off with a full load, but they're still pushing with little or none back there.

I have driven a number of them in 4wd. The International CXT was unbelievably bad. It was like no suspension. I've driven a KW with 4wd. No better. You're probably not going to find a 4wd 650 unless you custom order it. Most people that want 4wd opt for a heavier, sturdier truck like the FL, Pete or KW. Tall isn't so much of a problem as these trucks are somewhat heavily sprung. It's a world of difference between a pickup and a medium.

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MattBMiller View Post
    Sunsations 650 is 2Wd
    Thanks! Matt is correct. The few times I have driven it in the snow was either with a boat or a 4 place enclosed trailer loaded w/sleds
    2nd Annual Sunsation Factory Open House. April 10th-11th. Don't miss this preseason event!

Check us out on FACEBOOK

14. Collapse Details

Thanks for the feedback
    I guess I need a plane ticket to take this buggy for a ride.

15. Collapse Details

Most dually's suck in the snow compared to SRW's from what I've noticed.. And those cookie cutter stock factory tires are great in the snow. The big wheels/tires that everyone swap for bling don't lend themselves to good snow drivin!

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    The big problem with the 4wd medium is the weight of the front axle. It's unsprung weight and that means it's going to give you a really bad ride quality, will bounce around on bumps, be much louder and such. Plus it's going to open up your turning radius.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bgchuby01 View Post
    4 x 4 F-650 will drive like a Mack Truck. stay away
    Heard that also.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    You need to add ballast weight in the rear. Solves all the trucks traction problems and greatly improves the ride. The pickup bed weighs about nothing.
    Same here with ours. I don't know about other trucks but mine has a switch that lowers the rear end with the air suspension so when i need more traction at ramps I i lower the rear end and it adds weight back there. Also mine is not a dually it is a super single.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0182a.jpg   IMG_0173a.jpg   1457a.jpg  

17. Collapse Details

For winter traction Jeremy/BraceYourself has this on his F650, might also work on a slick ramp!

http://www.onspot.com/

18. Collapse Details

I researched this also.

I found go with 2wd. Super singles. Air Ride.

I have been on very steep ramps. with moss and wet pavement and dragging trailer and have never had a problem. The up and down air suspension is a must.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P6030015.jpg   IMG00022-20090612-1939.jpg   DSC01930.JPG  

Last edited by BraceYourself; 09-30-2009 at 10:04 AM.

19. Collapse Details

Also my 2 wd has done fine in snow with the traction control.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails f.bmp   ff.bmp  

20. Collapse Details

Nice truck!