Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Dude! Sweet! View Post
    Mike, totally off topic, but Jo Nunez showed me some pictures of your old 24 when it was being re-rigged and it had the name Mandy and a phone number on it. Was that Mandy Fernandez or another guy?
    No different guy.....but i would like to see those pics....send them to my email top1gun38@aol.com....thanks

Mike

2. Collapse Details
    Seahawk 41' - 38'
    Graham,excuse me if I have thrown you inside this history.
    Today I have found the context of the photo of the 41'Bengal Bay ex Cougar that refers to the Worlds of Atlantic City of the 1989. Then it could not be the Bengal Bay with the cutted gunwale that it is dated instead 1988.
    After all also a 41' pic from the old your Library in Boatmad, show the ex Curtis cat in Atlantic City docks in 1989 that confirm this.
    I also apologize to Pete for my insistence.

3. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Just throwing in that I love reading this thread....
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by thedonz View Post
    hugo columbo is realated to christopher columbus ( 1492 ). He's was the developer of the " santa maria" in brickell

mike
    lol

5. Collapse Details

y0o0 regatta in 1 week.....are you in ...i'm there....let me know

Mike

6. Collapse Details

Somebody should send the link to John Aruda. He should buy it. He could probably get some good tips on building a turbine boat!

7. Collapse Details

I saw the boat back in 2000. The photos really don't do it justice.

8. Collapse Details

I remember seeing those Cougar Cats like KS&W, Sea Hawk, K-Systems, etc, running at least once or twice at the Grand Haven, Michigan boat races back in the day....1980's. I always remember seeing these boats mostly colored in black with gold accent striping on them---and some with megaphone/cone shaped attachments to the tailpipes of the exhaust.

9. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor MANITIE's Avatar
    Ryan....I think Craig Barrie was in that boat named Coors Light in 1987, Craig has old mags. and news articals of them, he showed me a numbe of mags and pics of them in that Cougar.

10. Collapse Details

SO Tech Expert: Ford PSD's fixxxer22's Avatar
    Ok, i dont think anyone has asked.... why the hell is there 2 turbine engines in this thing and a jet outboard? to get it moving or for docking? i am confused!
    Now recruiting Mississippi power boaters.

11. Collapse Details

When this boat was assembled in the late 90's there had yet to be developed a way of adapting a transmission to a turbine. So these were direct-coupled to the drives. He cut a well in the back and mounted this outboard in the middle of the tunnel. When you wanted to back up, you lowered the outboard and started it.

In order to shift the transmissions on turbines, brakes were developed to momentarily stop the output shaft rotation. A turbine at minimum idle RPM still has a turning output shaft. And not all turbines are capable of having the output stage stopped- even briefly. That may have been the case with the units he used here. I can't remember what they were. The owner had an old Cig 35 for sale about 10 years ago that I looked at. I checked out the Cougar while I was there.

12. Collapse Details

PJC - just curious Mate are you Steve Curtis......or

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Ginger View Post
    PJC - just curious Mate are you Steve Curtis......or
    Close he is in the next office, I am Pete Currington - Steve's buisness partner at Cougar Marine

14. Collapse Details

PJC is one of the most talented people in the Boat Biz, Some of the Little common sense I have I learned from him. (hey pete, are you gonna make it over for any of Steves races? I'm thinking of going to the Miami race in June)

15. Collapse Details

SO Tech Expert: Ford PSD's fixxxer22's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    When this boat was assembled in the late 90's there had yet to be developed a way of adapting a transmission to a turbine. So these were direct-coupled to the drives. He cut a well in the back and mounted this outboard in the middle of the tunnel. When you wanted to back up, you lowered the outboard and started it.

In order to shift the transmissions on turbines, brakes were developed to momentarily stop the output shaft rotation. A turbine at minimum idle RPM still has a turning output shaft. And not all turbines are capable of having the output stage stopped- even briefly. That may have been the case with the units he used here. I can't remember what they were. The owner had an old Cig 35 for sale about 10 years ago that I looked at. I checked out the Cougar while I was there.
    It all makes sense now
    Now recruiting Mississippi power boaters.

16. Collapse Details

I'm far from an expert on turbines, but the way I understand it, the output stage blades are hollow and are cooled by air passing through them as they rotate. Without cooling they overheat and deform or fail. Some turbines are made to be idled or stopped- like the one's in an M-1 tank or some of the marine-specific ones. Some are tolerant of it for brief periods of time and some will just die if you applied a brake to the output.

17. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post

There was a way, we've done it since the early 80's with a caliper and rotor but people at the local yacht club started getting irritated at the noise so it was dual function. Noise reduction and auxiliary power.

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by PJC View Post
    Close he is in the next office, I am Pete Currington - Steve's buisness partner at Cougar Marine
    Cool , and the reason i asked is..... i remember seeing and talking with Steve and Jim Dyke when they were both with Spirt of Norway while on one of there many visits at Skater and a funny thing is... i worked on one of your old Canopy boats for Bobby Cousta which i think was a 46 or bigger and also one of the old Spirt Of Norway boats which had a very light layup .

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by PJC View Post
    Close he is in the next office
    You have an office now?

What ever happened with the silver 46 with the BPMs you did a few years back? That was quite a boat.

20. Collapse Details

Few pics of the cougar that became Divin.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My photos 671.jpg   My photos 674.jpg   My photos 679.jpg