Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Where to purchase crate motors?
    I am looking to find out where you have made purchases of crate motors I am looking at the mercruiser 383. I would like to know who has had good luck and who to avoid, thanks in advance for your help

2. Collapse Details

The best thing to avoid is crate motors.

Find someone locally that knows and understands marine engines and has good references with local high-performance users. Rarely does an automotive guy get it right. Even the good, successful racing engine guys.

If you can't find a local guy, you may have to drive a bit. Trust me when I tell you you'll be saving time by doing so.

3. Collapse Details

I don't have engines to rebuild and I may need engines so I think that they are called "crate engines" when they are new and complete right? I may be wrong on this.

4. Collapse Details

Thanks for the reply Chris. But I am not understanding you. If I get this right are you saying to purchase engines from a guy local to me? Thanks and sorry about me being slow I can't help it

5. Collapse Details

I think that he means to have a local guy build them.

He may be assuming that you have accessories, sheet metal and exhausts from your last builds.

6. Collapse Details

I need motors I have nothing not even a spark plug? And was hoping to score a deal on something new I don't want to have to purchase motors then rebuild them too. Thanks for clearing that up

7. Collapse Details

What Chris is saying is to avoid automotive crate engines, like GM Perfromance Parts sells. If you're looking at a genuine MerCruiser engine, just Google what you are looking for and see what pops up. DougRussell.com sells a lot of factory-built stuff, but there are other good second-tier builders as well, like 1-800-Runsnew and others. Sounds like you need everything, from crank pulley to bellhousing?

8. Collapse Details

Find a guy who can build you new motors from the ground up. If you cant find a guy with a good knowlege of marine engines then find a local hi perf guy with tons of references and have a trusted boat mechanic buddy tell him what to build. In my case I had a local sprint car guy with a the bare minumum marine knowlege build a pair of 383's he didnt get the cams right the first time, mainly becase I scared him on reversion. Ive looked at the build sheets one some of theese 383 "crate motors" that you find online. Most are overpriced and built from car parts.

9. Collapse Details

Crate engines are typically rebuilds or they're GM Performance Parts new engines. Mass rebuilders don't typically possess the ability or knowledge to do marine engines. The one's that do typically don't turn out the quality you're looking for. You would be ASONISHED to see some of the shortcuts that are taken- in machine work, parts and assembly. You can save a fortune using no-name Chinese parts. And you get what you get.

If you need NEW engines, talk to some guys on here- there are alot of reputable builders that can do what you want. You can also buy new mercruiser stuff from several of the vendors on here. It's expensive, but it's quality stuff and it comes with a nationwide warranty and parts availablity everywhere.

Tell us about your project, goals and budget and we can begin to point you in the right direction. Geography helps too. Maybe we have a lead on someone local to you.

10. Collapse Details

WOW you guy's are awesome right to work for me thanks SOS! I wish your leader was that good The boat is a 32' Sunsation with no power! I want to go for some small blocks to save fuel and weight. I was wanting (crate motors) just because turn key brand new power. But now you have got me thinking that I can have someone build motors and buy headers for those motors. I was hoping not to go over $15,000.00 for the pair. I live in St. Clair Shores, MI. Thanks again I looked at used and you never know what you are getting, I am not good with engines I just want to turn the key and cruise

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Sunsation96 View Post
    I was hoping not to go over $15,000.00 for the pair.
    In that case, stop talking to Chris NOW.

12. Collapse Details

check with these guys in Fort Meyers... they have a warehouse full of engines!!! shipped to your door and drop em in...

http://www.offshoreperformance.com

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by fund razor View Post
    In that case, stop talking to Chris NOW.
    Yeah not big money like you guy's are used too, that is why I want small blocks and I don't want to spend a fortune on motors. I know you get what you pay for. I think you can get a great motor for $7,000 a motor. I heard that Merc had a ton of these 383 and they were trying to fire sale them out. I don't know if that is true, the same source said it was under $6,000 a motor

14. Collapse Details

How far are you from Rockford, MI? I dont know if Dan Adams builds engines but he could damn shure tell you where to go.

He is on here, you can find him in the Saber forum.

15. Collapse Details

I think $15000 is gonna be tough for new mills with all of the accessories including exhaust. You might be better off trying to find some complete takeouts with low hours. (a little tougher to find with smallblocks) What Hp are you looking for?

16. Collapse Details

The boat is too big for small blocks. There's no substitute for torque and the strength difference between small block componentry and the BBC stuff is pretty significant.

17. Collapse Details

registered
    I had some really good luck with a Jasper engine back in the 90's in my 18' Sutphen. It was a Mopar 340. That thing is still running!!!!

.... it shouldn't be!!!! I ran the snot out of it for the 8-10 years before I sold the boat. Look 'em up, they have a marine division and warrenties!

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Trim'd Up View Post
    I think $15000 is gonna be tough for new mills with all of the accessories including exhaust. You might be better off trying to find some complete takeouts with low hours. (a little tougher to find with smallblocks) What Hp are you looking for?
    I am not firm on the $15,000.00 but I know that alot of SOS guy's have endless pockets and I don't so Budget is everything for me. But thanks for all the help this thread is gaining some ground quick.

19. Collapse Details

Was the boat originally rigged with smallblocks? Is it that one with the 6.2's?

20. Collapse Details

Is the block it self the same between a car and a boat? at what point does it begin to change to marine? Pistons? Cam? Heads?