Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

SO Tech Expert: Ford PSD's fixxxer22's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    08 Formula 292 with twin 377's. Formula will not put BB's in this hull...
    Thats a good lookin boat sir.
    Now recruiting Mississippi power boaters.

2. Collapse Details

You can put a powerstroke in your boat, but I'd talk to member "2112" first.
    Warning: This post may contain language unsuitable for minors or math not suitable for liberal-arts majors.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by fixxxer22 View Post
    Thats a good lookin boat sir.
    Thank you very much!!

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by fund razor View Post
    You can put a powerstroke in your boat, but I'd talk to member "2112" first.

How about a Duramax in the boat?!?!?!?!? I know, he is a Ford Mech.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    How about a Duramax in the boat?!?!?!?!? I know, he is a Ford Mech.
    I don't know if you are familiar with 2112, but he did some amazing work with fords in a Cig and maybe his second boat too. If I remember.... staggered big blocks fords with custom rigging, paint and stainless exhaust in a 36 Cig.
    It would be worth searching threads for the pics.
    Warning: This post may contain language unsuitable for minors or math not suitable for liberal-arts majors.

6. Collapse Details

I don't know if you are familiar with 2112, but he did some amazing work with fords in a Cig and maybe his second boat too. If I remember.... staggered big blocks fords with custom rigging, paint and stainless exhaust in a 36 Cig.
    Definately in my top five list for originality.

7. Collapse Details

Not familiar with it, I will look it up and look into it. I love inginuity!!!!

8. Collapse Details

Gotta admit, this is one of the best tow rig threads anywhere. Great stuff!

Has anyone got anything good to say about the new stuff, or is that just too depressing?

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post

Has anyone got anything good to say about the new stuff, or is that just too depressing?
    We have noticed the interest in the whole truck and towing thing too.

Look for an enhanced truck/towing section. With separate sections for Ford, GMC and Dodge with subsections for tips, tricks and such. Should be good.
    Thanks Steve.

New stuff is sort of depressing.

10. Collapse Details

My advice is buy what you can now.

11. Collapse Details

My advice is buy what you can now.
    I'd only use it a few times a year maybe, possibly more if it was a better all around driver. I drive a 100 miles a day normally, so a truck really wasn't my first choice. But having something that is fairly cheap, and able to handle 200 - 400 miles tows would be nice. Prices around here for used seem quite high, so traveling might be the best step.

12. Collapse Details

I should have been more specific. What I meant was that my advice was to buy something desirable and to keep, while they are still available in reasonably low mileage. For example... someone looking for a ford with a 7.3 powerstroke is starting to be limited to older, higher mile trucks. Otherwise the only choice is a 6.0. I looked for an Excursion with a 7.3 for a while, and while there are some nice ones... they are now 7 years old and older.

If you want a pre-emission craziness duramax... a 2006 is the way to go. They can still be found in good shape. An LLY duramax can be flashed or chipped to an LBZ, which brings the extra 50 hp. Just from programming.

But having said all that, if I remember corectly... you don't need a 14,000 pound capable tow vehicle, either.

For that 100 miles a day... I use a 2007 malibu. Cheap. Plenty of air bags and 32 hwy.

13. Collapse Details

Personally, I think the EPA has really screwed up the 07.5 and newer diesels!! I have an 06 Dmax LBZ/Allison and love it! Not happy with some of the engineering or lack of thought on the front end of these trucks (not cosmetic) but I still love the truck! I am so displeased with the new stuff (EPA) that 2 years ago I parked my truck and bought a car to use for daily year round driving. Now my truck only sees about 3K miles per year of driving (towing)

14. Collapse Details

I only need 5000# now but that could change. I was looking into more versatile vehicles that could pull double duty as a special trip vehicle with more room. Like a Tahoe, possibly a Nissan or V8 4runner. The Tahoe would be a great longer term vehicle for me. I also like the ext cab Nissan Titan since it has the engine, but not the immense size.

SAE tow ratings are really going to change the game. Many rigs now have tow ratings that are at best, a joke. But a longer wheelbase with a full tow package has always been the best way to start start. If I had bought that 28' Chap cuddy last year there was no way I intended to tow the beast. Launching it would have been quite interesting. But something like a AT25-29 or so would be fine.

I like the new F150's, but the 5.4 has not won over many customers for towing. It'll be interesting to see if GM and Ford can muster some investment in the newer diesels. GM had a nice small D that was on the bench, but they stopped development for now.

15. Collapse Details

I only need 5000# now but that could change. I was looking into more versatile vehicles that could pull double duty as a special trip vehicle with more room. Like a Tahoe, possibly a Nissan or V8 4runner. The Tahoe would be a great longer term vehicle for me. I also like the ext cab Nissan Titan since it has the engine, but not the immense size.

SAE tow ratings are really going to change the game. Many rigs now have tow ratings that are at best, a joke. But a longer wheelbase with a full tow package has always been the best way to start start. If I had bought that 28' Chap cuddy last year there was no way I intended to tow the beast. Launching it would have been quite interesting. But something like a AT25-29 or so would be fine.

I like the new F150's, but the 5.4 has not won over many customers for towing. It'll be interesting to see if GM and Ford can muster some investment in the newer diesels. GM had a nice small D that was on the bench, but they stopped development for now.
    I have a buddy with a 2007 f150 5.4 and it actually tows pretty well. We moved my boat around with it in various stages of disassembly. (Locally) If you expect to stay in that weight range, could be an option. Since I bought my truck, my neighbor bought one of those Lincoln trucks like an f150 (mark something or another) to pull his camping trailer and it's a nice truck for the 5k towers.

16. Collapse Details

That's the trouble with most Truck Threads Fund, too much hearsay and brand loyal talk. One of the reasons I liked this thread. I have no idea what the relative merits or problems are between the trucks out there, and it's hard to find the truth. I hear many say the 5.4 is "gutless". Maybe they're trying to tow 10K uphill, I don't know.

I know someone that bought a fairly new F250 with a V10, and it pulls like a tractor. Sucks gas like two Hummers strapped together though.

17. Collapse Details

Banned
    I would buy this ,,,if i could.........lol
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ford 1.bmp   FORD new.bmp  

18. Collapse Details

I had an 04 F150 5.4 Lariat 4 door. Nice truck, drop down TV was cool and it towed fairly well- rated at almost 10K with the tow package. Fuel economy sucked, leather seats wore down very quickly and the truck bed was tiny but other than that it was a cool truck. A buddy of mine has one with the center console shifter which is IMHO is a better cabin layout.

19. Collapse Details

That's the trouble with most Truck Threads Fund, too much hearsay and brand loyal talk. One of the reasons I liked this thread. I have no idea what the relative merits or problems are between the trucks out there, and it's hard to find the truth. I hear many say the 5.4 is "gutless". Maybe they're trying to tow 10K uphill, I don't know.

I know someone that bought a fairly new F250 with a V10, and it pulls like a tractor. Sucks gas like two Hummers strapped together though.
    Any of the gas 3/4 ton trucks will be real thirsty. The v10's and the BBC's will pull strong though.

I'm getting about 9 mpg in my 01 with a big block, but still love the truck.

The Ford powertrains aren't "gutless" necessarily, just the Chevy's are stronger. For limited towing any of the newer trucks will certainly work.

20. Collapse Details

Maybe the people calling it gutless have high expectations. I was satisfied, the acceleration is slower than one of these diesel monsters, sure. But it almost was impressive enough for me to buy a Ford.
    Truth be told, I once pulled a 6000# Chris Craft up the Chicago Skyway bridge with my older GMC 5.0 gasser. It wasn't happy, but the truck and the boat all got home and the truck still has the same tranny... 7 or 8 years later.
    (Good thing the surge brakes worked.)

The folks on this thread were pretty straight up about issues good and bad. I have been doing a lot of reading over at the Diesel Place, which is a very no-nonsense forum and there is a ton of good info. I would be glad to have any full sized american truck. I'm glad that I bought mine because it's a good fit. But I would have been just as happy pulling with a Powerstroke. From what I can tell the powerstroke is a slightly louder engine, all things being equal. But it was a Powerstroke that got the boat from MD to OH.

I don't think that one brand has an advantage over another. I think that the guy who matches his truck to his task and does the maintenance will have a good experience.