Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by LotoSteve View Post
    Border Collie or Austrailian shepard. Had a Border Collie for 15 years. Great with kids and smart as hell. They do have long hair but mine didnt really shed.
    Just make sure they have a "job" to do around the house, they have alot of energy that needs a purpose
    Run until it sounds expensive

2. Collapse Details

Keep the suggestions coming guys. I appreciate it. All ideas will be looked at thoroughly.

As for the house topic...

Not a huge deal to me. Personally I don't want any odor. Urinating or crapping in the house would be a HUGE deal. Obviously this can be fixed with training and age, but keep in mind we will start out with a puppy. I'm not stupid there. I grew up with dogs in the house. Lap dogs to Shepherds, no big deal to me. Sweetie on the other hand isn't gonna bite. Just moved into the house we built about 6 months ago so that will be a toughy. She didn't grow up around animals like myself.

Maybe it's something that will grow on her in time?

I don't see the dog being left outside altogether. We have an oversized 3 car garage along with a walkout unfinished basement that's 1,900 sq/ft. Long story short, there will be very comfortable facilities for whatever animal we choose.

Tony, we own 5 acres with the house. Between us and our neighbors the dog will be free to roam about 50 or so without any issues with neighboring properties.

Keep it coming all...

Buck
    A thong is like a barbed wire fence, it protects the property but doesn't ruin the scenery.

3. Collapse Details

a Rat or Fox Terrier or a Jack Russell.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by rbhudelson View Post
    a Rat or Fox Terrier or a Jack Russell.
    Wow, those Jack Russells are like flubber on crank. Don't know if I can keep up with those d@mn things.

I'll take a look at the Rat and Fox though.

Buck
    A thong is like a barbed wire fence, it protects the property but doesn't ruin the scenery.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by TomZ View Post
    A lot of folks might freak at this (needlessly), but my vote would be a American Pit Bull Terrier. Get a good "game" bloodline dog from a real breeder (stay away from the show stuff... the APBT is a working/sporting dog), and you'll have a great friend for life! Great with kids, can take a real beating (built like little tanks with the energy to go all day long), will instinctively protect you and your family/property without needing to be trained (they just know when to turn it on), and will truly be a lap dog if wanted. They do not tolerate cold very well without help... a dog house is sufficient (and a responsibility). If you pair them up, make sure it's a male and female.

I've been around these dogs for over 25 years. They get a bad rap... needlessly.
    When my 110lb pit bull barked, you might not have known what he was, but you knew he was BIG. OTOH if you still had cojones and got in the house, he would have shown you where all the valuables were and helped you carry them out.

The point of that story is; if you want a watch dog get a pit bull. If you want a guard dog do NOT get a pit bull. My top five guard dogs;

1) Turkish Kangal
    2) Caucasian Ovtcharka
    3) Rottweiler
    4) Cane Corso
    5) Dogo Argentino

You can't go wrong with any of those guys. The Kangal and Ovtcharka are thick-furred dogs, perfect for winter and are primarily outside dogs, although they can come inside and be a wonderful family dog as well.

To show why the Kangal is at the top of my list, watch this;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTYWWqY7Lv8

I guarantee no one will break into your home when they hear one of these dogs in it.

6. Collapse Details

Registered
    All dogs can stink and so does their crap no matter the breed. Get the one you want because you'll probably be the primary caregiver before long. Get a crate and train it right from the get go and you won't have many accidents in the house. When it smells, give it a bath.

My German Shepherd was a royal PITA for the first year. He'd pull the door open on his all metal crate. And when I turned the door towards the wall, the phucker ripped open the back side of the crate. You wouldn't believe me if I told you all the stuff that he's eaten....and passed (FYI plumber's putty is totally non-toxic). But I wouldn't trade him or his white hair for anything. Dang dog is there at my bedside every morning making sure I get my lazy @ss up and let him out.

7. Collapse Details

Just go with the GS. I'm sorry I didn't do it sooner. Always had a GS and had to put the last one down when the girls were 5. If I had a dollar for every time I hear, "I'm soooo glad we got him" this past year he wouldn't have cost me a penny.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1556.jpg   IMG_1594.jpg   IMG_1638_2.jpg  

8. Collapse Details

LOL@ that dog spotting for you.

9. Collapse Details

Fond du Lac, WI Cheeseheads & Kiekhaefer Scarab KV Miami Vice LTD Formally Snap-On Tools Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by catmando View Post
    When my 110lb pit bull barked, you might not have known what he was, but you knew he was BIG. OTOH if you still had cojones and got in the house, he would have shown you where all the valuables were and helped you carry them out.

The point of that story is; if you want a watch dog get a pit bull. If you want a guard dog do NOT get a pit bull. My top five guard dogs;

1) Turkish Kangal
    2) Caucasian Ovtcharka
    3) Rottweiler
    4) Cane Corso
    5) Dogo Argentino

You can't go wrong with any of those guys. The Kangal and Ovtcharka are thick-furred dogs, perfect for winter and are primarily outside dogs, although they can come inside and be a wonderful family dog as well.

To show why the Kangal is at the top of my list, watch this;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTYWWqY7Lv8

I guarantee no one will break into your home when they hear one of these dogs in it.

Damn...where's the saddle?

10. Collapse Details

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2055_2.jpg   IMG_3620.jpg   IMG_4391.jpg  

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Scarab KV View Post
    Damn...where's the saddle?
    The males are 34-38" tall and weigh 140-180. They were bred to protect livestock from bears, wolves and big cats. There are Kangals in Yellowstone protecting sheep and cattle from wolves and in south Texas as well. There is a Kangal program in the Maasai tribal area protecting their cattle from cheetahs.

The Turkish government was very gracious in letting several breeding pairs leave the country. The Kangal is their National Dog and they protect the bloodlines. All of the Kangals in America and Africa are pure bred. You have to sign a paper saying you will not cross-breed them and you are checked rechecked and checked again.

12. Collapse Details

lab or golden retriever
    Parabellum FJ²B

13. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    lab or golden retriever
    I figured you say get a Bobcat....
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

14. Collapse Details

If you get a lab, get one from a well known reputable breeder. The original bloodlines made for an excellent all around intelligent dog. The popularity of the lab has lead every Tom, Dick, and Harry to breed and sell them by the truckload. Ive talked to more than one hunter who says the backyard breeders have all but ruined the bloodlines.

BBB is right, if you get a high energy dog, you will absolutly need something to expel that energy on a regular basis otherwise little Rover will make your life hell. I bought a Redbone becase I always wanted one, I was expecting a sleep under the porch all day type of dog. What I got was a hyper active hound that wants to run like Forrest Gump on crank 24/7 with no signs of ever slowing down.

15. Collapse Details

I can help you rescue a pit from here... go to www.recycledlove.org some of the best dogs in the world. and they need a good home.

go on and look at the pit named butter, a clients wife has worked with her and she is a sweety great with kids, not much shedding and after a week, she will be wanting to go to the shop with you.

16. Collapse Details

Someone mentioned an Aussie cow dog. I have a 3 year old and she is an amazing dog BUT, you need to know that the breed is a very much one person dog. She is my shadow. She will get up and folow me if I take 3 steps. I trip over her 20 times a day. She is way too smart for MY own good. Aussies definately need a ton of activity because they are bred to be very high energy / endurance animals. Just roaming free around the yard will not do it. They crave dog / owner interaction and will do anything to please "Master" but to leave one alone is asking for trouble. They will find ways to entertain themselves in your absence. Usually not "good" ways either.

If you can handle that, they are incredibly loving and loyal dogs, tough as nails for their size and afraid of nothing. My female is 35 lbs of pure muscle. Lightening fast and amazing to watch work other dogs as cattle. She wil heard anything that moves, kids, dogs, cows, birds, it doesn't matter. They tend to have a huge small prey drive so critters, cats and the like need to beware. It takes a firm hand on the leash if a squirrel or chipmunk crosses your path.

17. Collapse Details

Lab....My buddy "Marley" loves to boat!

18. Collapse Details

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by JETJOCK View Post
    Lab....My buddy "Marley" loves to boat!
    You'll probably find, boating or whatever, he seems to like it , just cuz he's with you.

19. Collapse Details

Golden. Make sure you get one from a reputable breeder. You get what you pay for. Molly is 7 1/2 years old now and outside of yearly checkups, has never been to the vet for anything. Vet raves over her health every year. I got mine from here --> www.benningtonhills.com Best mannered, most behaved, easy to train dog I have ever owned.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Molly1.jpg  

20. Collapse Details

OK, I know I am about to sound very PC, but I have had dogs all my life. Mostly Lab/Retrievers. Full blooded to mutts. The best pets have always been lab mix mutts. They have always been loyal, smart and kind natured. So my suggestion to you is load the girls up, and take them down to the animal shelter and pick out a puppy. You won’t be disappointed. IMO
    Taking Over the World One Thread at a Time
    The Penguin Cometh