Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Shocks on trailer?
    Any thought having shock absorbers on boat trailers? I know, most don't have any. Thinking about instaling some. Input?
    Thx
    P
    Life is: what happens... when you plan something else.

2. Collapse Details

Any Plans on keeping them from rusting out the first weekend?
    Slippery when wet. PODLESS TUNNEL www.cheetahcat.com ,Repairs, Modifications and Truing Cheap reliable speed.

3. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Supposedly they don't do much because of the weight of the boats, and the multiple axles, keep the oscillating to a minimum compared to a car.

There are some aftermarket patented kits available now. Don't know squat about them though.
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

4. Collapse Details

Over here trailers have shocks. Some even do have airbags.
    Like the Big Rigs.
    Offshore Racing wasnīt designed to be a spectator sport, it's for people or companies with's lots of money to push the envelope of endurance technology and hopefully put a trophy on a mantle. It's man vs the elements, not like boats with like engines running in circles.

5. Collapse Details

Water intrusion into the shock will be an issue........

6. Collapse Details

Well if the water can get in the shock then also the oil and gas in the shock will come out just by itself...so thatīs a broken one in the first place.
    Shocks are Gas tight, everyone of them so you can submerge them.
    Offshore Racing wasnīt designed to be a spectator sport, it's for people or companies with's lots of money to push the envelope of endurance technology and hopefully put a trophy on a mantle. It's man vs the elements, not like boats with like engines running in circles.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyFIN View Post
    Well if the water can get in the shock then also the oil and gas in the shock will come out just by itself...so thatīs a broken one in the first place.
    Shocks are Gas tight, everyone of them so you can submerge them.
    I was thinking when it compresses (boat being put on trailer) water would be forced in at the shaft.

8. Collapse Details

It has (a) seal/s... a gastight one.
    No bigger issue than a Dirt bikes shocks which has to live with sand also.
    Trust me, they will live.

9. Collapse Details

I have had jeeps/trucks under water many times. They will not let water in.

10. Collapse Details

Banned
    The only thing they do is rust in the saltwater ,,very fast. Not the piston (SS) but the rest.

11. Collapse Details

I don't buy the rust issue. We spend thousands on trailers, and even with the stainless brakes there are still galvanized parts. I wash the trailer down, justlike my boat after every use. It's maintainence thing. So we have to get new shocks every year.
    We put on 200K plus even half a mill boats on stiff springs and beat the crap out of the boat every time we go over a rail road crossing. We just don't feel the boat taking the hits. Out of sight? out of mind?
    I'm seriously thinking about doing something. May be put the bunks on some HD rubber cushion? Or some type of jell packs? I want my Senorita to start "jellin' "

12. Collapse Details

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PARADOX View Post
    I don't buy the rust issue. We spend thousands on trailers, and even with the stainless brakes there are still galvanized parts. I wash the trailer down, justlike my boat after every use. It's maintainence thing. So we have to get new shocks every year.
    We put on 200K plus even half a mill boats on stiff springs and beat the crap out of the boat every time we go over a rail road crossing. We just don't feel the boat taking the hits. Out of sight? out of mind?
    I'm seriously thinking about doing something. May be put the bunks on some HD rubber cushion? Or some type of jell packs? I want my Senorita to start "jellin' "
    Just watch it ,,,,so she does not jell of the trailer !!!!

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DAREDEVIL View Post
    Just watch it ,,,,so she does not jell of the trailer !!!!
    Been there.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AV 104 boat side.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	40.0 KB 
ID:	44250

14. Collapse Details

A looooong time ago (i was maybe 10-11yrs old) i asked my dad that same question, "why doesn't our boat trailer have shocks?" He stated, in a straight face, "because there aren't any women that ride on the trailer to complain about the ride!" No shocks neeeded!

15. Collapse Details

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bobkatz View Post
    A looooong time ago (i was maybe 10-11yrs old) i asked my dad that same question, "why doesn't our boat trailer have shocks?" He stated, in a straight face, "because there aren't any women that ride on the trailer to complain about the ride!" No shocks neeeded!
    GOOD ONE !!

16. Collapse Details

Figuring an average 12,000 pound load on six wheels, that's about 50% more weight per wheel that most cars and trucks, so you would probably want the stiffest shocks that you could find.

Airbags would be *****in', but $$$...

17. Collapse Details

Torsion axels

18. Collapse Details

But when I went to Autotech school in my late teenage years I was always taught that shocks are mainly for handling and sudden shocks to keep tire on ground for traction/handling, sorta like sway bars... Car suspension also have a lot of "travel". Car/truck springs are very soft compared to boat axles and need a lot of bounce control.. Not sure it's needed on a boat trailer.

I've illegally ridden in my boat down the road and felt the ride was very smoooooth!! Must be an Apache thing! lol

19. Collapse Details

Registered
    I've also heard that Apache's are some of the best riding boats for in town and High-way riding!!! lol

20. Collapse Details

Just found this on Wikipedia, it puts it in better words than I can!

"In a vehicle, it reduces the effect of traveling over rough ground, leading to improved ride quality, and increase in comfort due to substantially reduced amplitude of disturbances. Without shock absorbers, the vehicle would have a bouncing ride, as energy is stored in the spring and then released to the vehicle, possibly exceeding the allowed range of suspension movement. Shock absorbers allow the use of soft (lower rate) springs while controlling the rate of suspension movement in response to bumps. They also, along with hysteresis in the tire itself, damp the motion of the unsprung weight up and down on the springiness of the tire. Since the tire is not as soft as the springs, effective wheel bounce damping may require stiffer shocks than would be ideal for the vehicle motion alone."