Ok, Heres the deal. Gen IV motor. Put my motor back together after rebuilding heads.
This time out, I wanted to get a good feeling about how motor was running, so I added some additional instrumentation. I installed fuel pressure, water pressure, and oil pressure, (all mechanical). Still need to install oil temp as well.
But now with mechanical oil press. I am seeing some things on the gage.
Great oil pressure at start, 80-90 cold. After warm up, drops to 60 or so while cruising about 3-4 K rpm's. But, also found out that if running harder at around 4500-5000rpm's, oil pressure started to slowly drop off. I watched it go down to 25-30psi or so, then I backed off. Down at idle, while hot, I watch pressure slowly rise from 20psi or so, back up to 40, in about 3 minutes. I was running straight 30 Rotella oil with pur. filter. I am wondering if I'm aerating my oil due to overfill. Originally, pan was steel 8 qt. Was rusted, so buddy gave me older merc aluminum pan, which has the cooling fins molded into it. I don't know much about this pan in there. Wondering if it's not an 8 qt capacity. I had put 8 quarts in, plus whatever residual was left in pan lines, etc... Does anyone know that pan, and its capacity? Plan is to change out oil today, and refill with Mobil 1, 15-50. This time will only put in 6 quarts, plus residual, and check it out again to see if it drops?
Any thing I am missing, or does this sound like correct diagnostic plan.
Thanks as always guys..
Rich