1. Collapse Details
    What is the right thing to do? help.
    A few months ago I sold some boat parts to a well known member.
    The story: Items were advertised, Items pictures were sent. Items were purchased with an agreement that if they won't work I will refund the money.
    Items were delivered, checked by purchaser, partial funds were paid.
    Months later I gently asked the buyer to pay the balance or return the items so I can sell before the season is over. Balance of funds was sent to me. The buyer had the "items" for over 2 months. All of the sudden he said they are not what he thought, damaged, scratches. Etc. Wants me to fix them or return the money.
    What would you do? what should I do? What is the right thing to do? after 2 months of the buyer having possession of the items.?
    He claims he didn't have his glasses when he checked the items.
    He sent the balance a week ago. Now he claims the items are not what he thought or was represented , and now is the first time he had a chance to check them.
    After a week or so I would not ask this, but what is the right thing to do in this case?
    I am willing to resolve, but …
    So I’m just asking for some input.

2. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Only hearing one side, yours, I would say you have no obligation to refund. But, if he can provide pictures of some hidden issue you did not know was there, (and I have no idea what kind of parts we're discussing), then the two of you should discuss it and possibly split a reasonable repair cost.

But, the one thing I am positive about, it should be worked out privately.
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

3. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    If some one bought new parts they would be hard pressed to return after 2 months for a refund. There is no telling what was done with the parts over that period of time.

I don't think you are obligated after 2 months. Shame on him for not looking closer when he received them.

4. Collapse Details

So...he took two months to finally pay, sent a check, then the next day he said "WAIT!! I dont like the parts..." did said check actually clear yet???
    P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership

5. Collapse Details

This is why it scares me to sell stuff. Buying, for some reason... not so much.

Reading the original post carefully, it appears that they buyer had a special second chance to return the parts when the seller issued the gentle reminder months later. Could have just as easily been the product coming back as the balance check, according to the seller.

I see Ratickle's point. It is unlikely that a good resolution will come from two men working out a private deal publicly.

6. Collapse Details

Not taking this to a "public" issue, and will not disclose names and items, just looking for opinions. I will work it out.
    For the sake of argument, let’s say they were a set of used trim tabs. Buyer inspected them before he put it in his trunk. We agreed, if won’t work, he can return them for a full refund. 6-7+- weeks later after two “reminders” and asking if did they worked, etc. balance of payment was sent. Nothing was said regarding any condition issues, scratches, or even if they worked or not. Then recently buyer said he have some “issues” with them. Any “claimed” scratches, dents or whatever can be easily fixed. But after two months+ I’m reluctant to pay for any repairs. After two weeks or so, I would not have an issue.
    Why wait 2 months to bring it up?

7. Collapse Details

If his plans changed, he should just sell them.

I must be an unusual case. I notice EVERY scratch. Every time I leave my boat somewhere or have it worked on, I notice the new battle scars. I see the little mars from people's findernails on my vehicle paint.

If he isn't OCD enough to notice them for two months, I find it hard to believe that he is now an afficiando of fine, unscratched things.

But this is all hypothetical, and I don't know the other side, so I am not trying to arbitrate. Just thinking about how or if I could find myself in his shoes.

8. Collapse Details

Meanwhile... we are all thinking:
    "Hey, I hope it isn't the guy that I just sold that (blank) to."

(Sorry, don't mean to make light of it.)

9. Collapse Details

In my opinion, 2 month is a long time to test .. inspect items.. SO KEEP THE MONEY And dont worrie about it !

The buyer had enuff chances to check or return the items !

10. Collapse Details

I won't be an a$$' hole about it, and will work something out, and not blow him off.
    I would be embarrassed paying so late and then bring something up after 2 months, even if the "items" were a peace of $hit. (they are not, just making a point)
    Thanks for the comments.

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by fund razor View Post

I must be an unusual case. I notice EVERY scratch. Every time I leave my boat somewhere or have it worked on, I notice the new battle scars. I see the little mars from people's findernails on my vehicle paint.
    not unusual.
    6 mos. ago I was at a customers house and had them come outside to make a decision on something we were repairing on the house.
    She's standing next to my truck which has a light layer of dust on it (dirt roads in the desert) and she puts her hand on the hood THAT'S GONNA SCRATCH!!! I almost freaked out on her.

As for the parts... Too bad, he had more than ample time to inspect.
    "Keep the bottle on the bar Ira, I won't be long".

12. Collapse Details

I sell alot of parts online. I am seeing this more and more lately. The buyer gets the item then usually trys and find something wrong. I find most of them are just looking for a partial refund so they can have the items even cheaper. Sold a set of gently used front tires for a race car. I had them on my own car and they were perfect. Sold them half the cost as new. New owner gets them. Mounts them on wheels. Drives his car. Then claims the tires don't ride well. Wants a partial refund. (like sending 40 dollars back would make the tires drive better...) I told him to stick it. He had them too long and used them. No matter what some people will never be happy.