1. Collapse Details
    Dean Loucks Fine Art - Evolution of an Artist
    Dean Loucks Fine Art Collection – A Change of Palette

Dean Loucks, who many know as the genius behind The Art of Design (TAOD) brilliant paint schemes of powerboats around the world, is expanding his creativity in new directions.

“I’ve always been an artist with many different interests and the ‘mobile’ art I’ve been doing over the years has taken me full circle back to a new approach to my contemporary artwork collection—it has been an evolution!”

Dean Loucks Art isnow available to those with—or without boats, motor coaches, motorcycles or the other types of moving canvasses upon which he built his fame. While Dean and his team continue to interpret other people’s dreams and desires into paint designs for vessels and vehicles, Dean expanded his business to paint some of his own ideas so he did what he does best—took out his spray gun, air brush and some razor blades and started putting paint on boards that become his canvas—for a range of artwork that spans abstract martini glasses and cigars to contemporary florals, portraits and automotive art. His current body of work can be viewed at www.deanloucksart.com

A paint brush and canvas would be too ordinary for Dean, who’s tag lines, “At 200 mph, you have no friends” and “Can you handle the attention?” heralded the boldness of his work. The unique aspect of Dean’s paintings—beyond using his signature Akzo Nobel automotive color palette—is the way his paintings “become” their subject. He sprays the paint onto a specially coated composite board, and adds chemical washes that bleed and blend the paint into gradient shades. He manipulates the boards to spread the color in different directions, creating swirls and streaks that flow into each other, blending, contrasting and accenting each other. The airbrush continues the process, then using a razor blade he skims more areas of paint, making strong strokes that define the subject and make it spring from the board. “It’s really more about removing the paint than just putting it on,” Dean says of his method, “I see the image developing in my mind as the colors move and blend.”

Dean initially announced his fine art line earlier this year through an email to his friends and clients and his business has grown exponentially as people see his vastly diverse creations.

Partnering with some local businesses to gain exposure and a new chapter of charitable giving, Dean participated in a show and auction with Gold Coast Bentley. Since then his work continues to be in demand and he has helped numerous organizations raise money for worthwhile causes through the purchase of his original art and prints.

After his involvement in the Indy 500 where he drove his street-legal Indy car from Elkhard, Indiana to Indianapolis and promoted it and his art work to the car-savvy crowd, Dean got another opportunity with the annual AutoWeek Auction for CARA Charities.

AutoWeek Auction

Dean created a painting of Unser, Jr.’s 1992 Indy 500 winning Valvoline car, as a donation to the Championship Auto Racing Auxiliary (CARA) Charities. This 25-year old philanthropic association generously supports many hospitals, children’s causes, scholarships, ministries and other Indianapolis area charities, dear to the motorsports community. This original Valvoline #3 car painting, with vibrant colors that breathe the fire of an Indy 500 race, is signed by Al Unser, Jr. and will be among the many valuable items in AutoWeek magazine’s annual online auction. Visit www.autoweek.com starting November 1 to participate!

American Art Awards

Dean Loucks was recognized with three prizes by the prestigious American Art Awards, a national competition judged by 25 of the top galleries in the country, “to honor great forces in art.” The judged chose Dean’s work, “Cowfish” for first place in the Futurism category, “Ant View” for second place in the Floral, Not Realistic category, and “Z You” an automotive piece for Realistic Still Life.

“This was a very rewarding experience for me as a ‘new’ artist on the national scene,” says Dean, “It’s flattering to be recognized by top galleries and it adds credibility to my work—It’s nice to be seen as more than a ‘boat painter’ as many of my current friends and clients know me—my art is seen as having other dimensions now.”

Coming Events:

Camouflage Kids – Elkhart, Indiana, October 26
    Dean will donate a specially designed piece for auction for this national organization that support families and children whose parents are serving overseas in the US military. Keynote speaker at the event is Indiana University Head Basketball Coach, Tom Crean. Says Ray Stutz, co-founder of Camouflage Kids, “Dean is one of the most talented individuals I’ve ever met and combine that with his generosity and desire to help other people—it’s amazing!”

The Concours d’Elegance - Winter Park, Florida, November 8
    This prestigious auto show event, part of the national tour, sponsored by companies like AMG, Mercedes Benz, Jaguar, Porsche, Audi and the DuPont Registry, will benefit the Orlando Ballet and Winter Park Community Center. A print of “Sax You” will be on display and Dean plans to bring more of his Auto collection which earned tremendous response while on display at the Conrad Hotel and at various events around the 2009 Indianapolis 500.

17th Annual Key West Festival Poker Run – Florida Powerboat Club, November 12-15
    The biggest powerboat event of the year, drawing hundreds of boaters for the run from Miami to Key West to attend the Superboat International World Championship Races. Dean will attend and show his fine art pieces for sale in the club’s Powerboat Village at Green Street, near the Conch Republic Seafood Restaurant.

The Perfect Gift

The holidays are around the corner and Dean Loucks Fine Art offers the perfect gift for the man or woman who has “everything”—except an original or print done by the master himself! A custom portrait, to be created from a photo, or a custom concept that you would like him to create for you--or a piece from Dean’s current collection, can be ready for Christmas IF you order now! Please visit www.deanloucksart.com for more information and make your loved-one love you forever!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Valvoline 2.jpg   Flying Fish.JPG   LAST NIGHT.JPG  

2. Collapse Details

Marilyn,
    I have seen Dean's artwork, yes its amazing! Who would have known that he painted paintings as well. Looking forward to seeing you and Dean in Key West!