• Historical

by Published on 07-28-2021 05:51 PM
    Categories:
    1. Racing and Poker Runs
    2. Historical
    3. On The Water News
    Article Preview

In what’s being billed as the “Clash of the Titans” at the St Clair River Classic this coming weekend, all offshore performance boating fans should have an opportunity to see something that hasn’t been seen for quite some time; multiple classic race and performance boats of historical importance on the race-course at one time. We are hoping the turnout will meet, or even exceed, the 12 total Titans in Greek mythology. As of this writing, it seems to be possible.

This “Clash of the Titans” was the brain child, (maybe after a few beers?), of Roland “Smitty” Smith, OPA’s President. Matt Soper who
    by Published on 06-21-2018 10:09 AM  Number of Views: 8667 
    Categories:
    1. Racing and Poker Runs
    2. Clubs and Destinations
    3. Historical
    4. On The Water News
    Article Preview

West Michigan Offshore's only 2018 Poker Run certainly had its challenges, all weather related. Mother Nature decided to not be very motherly for some reason this June 16th. Thunderstorms started rolling through fairly early in the morning on Saturday, postponing many of the boats arriving by water and delaying the launch of many others. But, that was not the only thing happening over the course of the Muskegon Powerboat Weekend.

The beginning of the postponed Poker Run start.

The Friday evening street party by Muskegon's Hackley Park had perfect weather, all of the storms stayed to the north. The food and drink provided by the Taste of Muskegon, live bands in the park, along with the
    by Published on 03-17-2015 12:02 AM
    Categories:
    1. Racing and Poker Runs
    2. Member Spotlight
    3. Historical
    Article Preview

Luck of the Irish on St. Patricks Day?

SOS: It was 1979 I believe when you burst on the scene in the Open Class and shocked the offshore world with a win out of no-where. Everyone was waiting for the showdown between Betty Cook in Kaama and Joey Ippolito in Michelob Light, just like the previous year's season long battle. But a first time open class racer from the Northeast won their very first race in their brand new boat. Give us a little more history on that win than has already been written.

Charlie: I had hired JC Simon at the Key west World Championships in 1977 to design and build a new Open Class boat for me for the following season...meaning the season of 1978.

Charlie and Jean Claude in a Cobra

So the design began with input from me on what I wanted in a fast 38 footer.
    Wider strakes, but less
    by Published on 03-08-2015 06:00 PM
    Categories:
    1. Racing and Poker Runs
    2. Member Spotlight
    3. Historical
    Article Preview

Charlie McCarthy, both an Icon and Founder here on Serious, was one of the group of adrenaline junkies who decided that offshore racing would be the focus of a desire for speed as a first choice. It was not the only choice, as he has raced automobiles on tracks and across the country. Including in the Cannonball Run made so famous by Burt Reynolds and Farrah Fawcett.

This year he is celebrating the 10TH Anniversary of the Historic Offshore Race Boat Association. The HORBA association strives to keep the history of the sport, both by the written word and the restoration of offshore race boats, alive and well for future generations to enjoy.

SOS: Let’s start with your history, and what it was that caused you to decide to channel your energy into offshore racing and high performance offshore ...
    Published on 05-28-2014 09:20 AM
    Categories:
    1. Racing and Poker Runs
    2. Marine Tech
    3. Historical
    Article Preview

C. F. Johnson, owner of Daytona Boat Works and his Record Breaking TX-41, designed by World Renown Maritime Architect Jack Hargrave, thundered away from Miami's Bayfront Park on Sunday, June 21, 1964 at 5 am slowing down only long enough to take on fuel before arriving in the Hudson River thus completing the 1,257 mile run in 31 hours, 32 minutes. Deemed the World's Fastest Sport Fishing Boat.

'T' was for Tandem; 'X' was for Experimental; and '41' was the Length Overall.
    Johnson powered TX-41 with 409 cubic inch Chevy V8's with his state of the art Turbochargers. TX-41 held the title for 17 years.

During a conversation with BBB725 he brought up a boat he had bumped into information on while searching the internet. He sent us the information he had gathered, and after reading ...
    Published on 10-19-2013 12:00 AM
    Categories:
    1. Racing and Poker Runs
    2. Marine Tech
    3. Historical
    Article Preview

by Serious Offshore

Nineteen years ago today a very special racer, and person, crashed in the World Championship Offshore races in Key West Florida. The stories associated with the life and the accident of Tom Gentry are numerous. His accomplishments speak of the type of person he was. His success in Hawaii as a developer allowed him to attempt many things to meet his passion for offshore performance boating, and I have tried to put a few of those accomplishments, and the overwhelming grief his accident caused so many, into this first small article about him.
    For some of you it is a learning experience, for others you were there and know much more about the person than I do. Hopefully all of you will enjoy this a bit and the memory of Tom will be carried on for those ...
    Published on 10-16-2012 09:11 PM
    Categories:
    1. Racing and Poker Runs
    2. Historical
    Article Preview

by SeriousOffshore

While doing the research on Vincenzo, and chatting with those who had the opportunity to recall his amazing life and career, it is interesting what they remember. We ended Part 1 of his Offshore history with one of Vincenzo Jr’s memories of his father assisting another competitor in the very first race his father ever ran;

On the Cover of an Italian Boating Magazine 1970

He was not the only one with memories of that very first race which ended Part 1…
    Memories:
    Only now I find time to write this anecdote about his first encounter with the offshore competitions. It is an interview that my friend and expert in offshore Gianni Giampaoli to Franz Furrer, the organizer of the first offshore race of the Mediterranean, the Viareggio-Bastia-Viareggio, in July 1962. Both the ...
    Published on 10-16-2012 04:13 AM
    Categories:
    1. Racing and Poker Runs
    2. Historical
    Article Preview

by SeriousOffshore

Just recently we lost one of the all time greats in Offshore Racing and Performance Boating History. Vincenzo Balestrieri as everyone knew him, his full name being Count Vincenzo Balestrieri Cosimelli, is one of the most accomplished offshore racers to ever hold a boat throttle and steering wheel in his hands. He not only won the World Championship twice, he also was the very first European to win an American offshore race. He started out his working life as a lawyer, but went into business early on instead of specializing in law.

Vincenzo left 4 sons and two grandchildren behind when he departed this earth for other seas to run on. Two of his sons, Luca and Sergio, spent a lot of time ...
    Published on 10-14-2012 09:22 PM
    Categories:
    1. Manufacturers and Dealers
    2. Historical
    Article Preview

by Tommy Snyder

Quick- name two 40-year-old performance boat companies still owned and run by their founder. Don sold Cigarette- twice. Reggie is gone from Fountain. Formula? Nope. The Porter’s have owned it a long time but didn’t start it. Your list is stuck at one. Pantera. I began thinking about this as I traveled to visit Pepe and Jo Nunez at Pantera. After close to 40 years, how are they still at it? After a brief time there, I think I found out. Family and enthusiasm. While this story began with the idea of a behind the scenes look at Pantera’s production facility and the boats they’re building, I realized quickly that the story here ran much deeper.

40 Years of History...

As I walked in to the Pantera offices I’m immediately greeted with the welcoming smile of Pepe’s ...
    Published on 03-02-2012 11:33 PM
    Categories:
    1. Historical
    2. On The Water News
    Article Preview

by Charlie McCarthy

Win, or Die Trying

When Don and I would talk, we often spoke about becoming the Open Class World Champion. Nothing else mattered. Win, break or die trying. If you didn’t have that attitude you had no business being on the racecourse. It was a man’s sport, where only the strong survived.

Don told me I had everything it took to win a World Championship, except time. He explained that after a certain point, money is the same with every one. But the one’s that could afford to devote an unlimited amount of time to the sport were those that would go on to become world champions. ...
    Published on 03-01-2012 11:35 PM
    Categories:
    1. Racing and Poker Runs
    2. Manufacturers and Dealers
    3. Historical
    Article Preview

by Charlie McCarthy

Editor’s note: Banana Powerboats CEO and HORBA founder Charlie McCarthy had a long and unique friendship with Don Aronow. In this two-part series, Charlie revisits the story of that friendship.

Meeting Don Aronow
    I fell in love for the first time in my life during my freshman year at Saint Leo University, just north of Tampa Florida. But this relationship was no ordinary one- the object of my passion was offshore powerboat racing.

My roommate at Saint Leo’s, who came from a family of boat racers out of Chicago, introduced me to this great sport and I was invited to join the pit crew of Mike Gordon. Mike raced an 18 foot Rayson Craft endurance boat with ...
    Published on 02-28-2012 11:37 PM
    Categories:
    1. Racing and Poker Runs
    3. Historical
    4. On The Water News
    Article Preview

by Charlie McCarthy

I am very excited to be working with the people here at Serious and look forward to sharing some great stories of the past with all the members.
    I know they had planned on reprinting an article I wrote about Don Aronow a few years ago and maybe that is a good place to start. Tomorrow, March 1st, would have been the 85th birthday of Don, had he lived. It has been 25 years since he was shot to death on the very street he made famous, NE 188th ST, ...
    Published on 02-27-2012 11:39 PM
    Categories:
    1. Racing and Poker Runs
    3. Historical
    Article Preview

by SeriousOffshore

Reggie Fountain not only found his way onto our 11 from 2011 list, he missed a podium finish by just one spot, coming in at #4. Always the competitor, Reggie is off to a strong start in 2012 and it looks like he’s aiming to best his performance in 2012.

Just a few days ago, the new Fountain venture, Fountain Performance Marine made a boat show splash with the introduction of their website.
    Reggie Fountain isn’t the kind of guy that makes any announcement that’s going to get lost in the ...
    Published on 02-23-2012 11:40 PM
    Categories:
    1. Racing and Poker Runs
    3. Historical
    Article Preview

by SeriousOffshore

Charlie in the Top Banana 38

We are exceptionally pleased to announce that boatbuilder, racer and HORBA founder Charlie McCarthy has joined us here in an official capacity at Serious Offshore. As the founder of the Historical Offshore Race Boat Association, Charlie has been at the forefront of keeping the history of this sport alive for many years.

Charlie’s efforts go well beyond being a historian. One of his greatest accomplishments has been
    Published on 11-24-2011 12:15 AM
    Categories:
    1. Racing and Poker Runs
    2. Historical
    Article Preview

by serious offshore

Photos of Entire Sequence of the Stuff http://seriousoffshore.com/forums/sh...light=warpaint

Looking at the photo sequence of the Warpaint crash in Key West brought back memories of an almost identical crash twenty-four years ago. Both crashes involved the Apache cat. Both crashes involved a virtually identical trip and stuff. And in both events, the crews fortunately survived the impact. In the most recent, the canopy was severely damaged. In the 1986 crash, the brunt of the damage was borne by the skull of legendary throttleman and boatbuilder Bobby Saccenti.
    We sat down with Bobby and discussed the boats, the design and the circumstances behind these crashes. In typical Saccenti fashion, he walked through the events of his crash as if it were nothing more than a stubbed toe. Becoming a living legend isn’t for the meek. ...
    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast