• Admin

Published on 10-16-2012 09:11 PM
    Categories:
    1. Racing and Poker Runs
    2. Historical
    Article Preview

by SeriousOffshore

While doing the research on Vincenzo, and chatting with those who had the opportunity to recall his amazing life and career, it is interesting what they remember. We ended Part 1 of his Offshore history with one of Vincenzo Jr’s memories of his father assisting another competitor in the very first race his father ever ran;

On the Cover of an Italian Boating Magazine 1970

He was not the only one with memories of that very first race which ended Part 1…
    Memories:
    Only now I find time to write this anecdote about his first encounter with the offshore competitions. It is an interview that my friend and expert in offshore Gianni Giampaoli to Franz Furrer, the organizer of the first offshore race of the Mediterranean, the Viareggio-Bastia-Viareggio, in July 1962. Both the ...
    Published on 10-16-2012 04:13 AM
    Categories:
    1. Racing and Poker Runs
    2. Historical
    Article Preview

by SeriousOffshore

Just recently we lost one of the all time greats in Offshore Racing and Performance Boating History. Vincenzo Balestrieri as everyone knew him, his full name being Count Vincenzo Balestrieri Cosimelli, is one of the most accomplished offshore racers to ever hold a boat throttle and steering wheel in his hands. He not only won the World Championship twice, he also was the very first European to win an American offshore race. He started out his working life as a lawyer, but went into business early on instead of specializing in law.

Vincenzo left 4 sons and two grandchildren behind when he departed this earth for other seas to run on. Two of his sons, Luca and Sergio, spent a lot of time ...
    Published on 10-14-2012 09:22 PM
    Categories:
    1. Manufacturers and Dealers
    2. Historical
    Article Preview

by Tommy Snyder

Quick- name two 40-year-old performance boat companies still owned and run by their founder. Don sold Cigarette- twice. Reggie is gone from Fountain. Formula? Nope. The Porter’s have owned it a long time but didn’t start it. Your list is stuck at one. Pantera. I began thinking about this as I traveled to visit Pepe and Jo Nunez at Pantera. After close to 40 years, how are they still at it? After a brief time there, I think I found out. Family and enthusiasm. While this story began with the idea of a behind the scenes look at Pantera’s production facility and the boats they’re building, I realized quickly that the story here ran much deeper.

40 Years of History...

As I walked in to the Pantera offices I’m immediately greeted with the welcoming smile of Pepe’s ...
    Published on 07-27-2012 08:56 PM
    Categories:
    1. Racing and Poker Runs
    2. Clubs and Destinations
    3. On The Water News
    Article Preview

by SeriousOffshore

After a great lunch at the Weather Vane in Charlevoix, it was time to head back to the marina to run the second half of the course. While getting ready to go, we found out that the 12 boat raft off at the marina was a new record according to the harbor master, (the old record being held by sailboats at one of their events, can’t let that stand!!!!), so another “number one” record for Boyne Thunder 2012!

Anyway, great weather and gorgeous water said it was time to get those sweet Verado’s in gear. Getting away from the docks ended up being easier than first thought. We were boat #2 out of a 6 boat raft off. The ...
    Published on 07-18-2012 09:02 PM
    Categories:
    1. Racing and Poker Runs
    Article Preview

by SeriousOffshore

Although picking up in popularity over the past few years, the Boyne Thunder Poker Run had been one of the undiscovered gems among the big boy poker run crowd. The traditional Boyne Thunder run has included a trip out around Beaver Island, a distance of over 30 miles each way across what can be a rough stretch of water in the open part of Lake Michigan. This year the course changed to stay a bit closer to the west coast of Michigan’s Traverse, Charlevoix, and Harbor Springs areas. The organizers have found some of the most beautiful scenery to be viewed ...
    Published on 07-07-2012 09:06 PM
    Categories:
    1. Racing and Poker Runs
    Article Preview

by SeriousOffshore

I am pretty sure that was the first question that popped into most of the racers heads when the event was first being discussed. I know it was my first thought, and I live in Michigan. I doubt it will be a question that is ever raised again, certainly not by anyone who pays attention to offshore racing events.

It’s hard to believe from the outstanding overall success, but this was the inaugural edition of the Heritage Coast Offshore Grand Prix in Tawas Bay, Michigan. The organizers had only a few short weeks to get everything to come together and they must have really burned the midnight oil to make sure this event came off as well as they possibly ...
    Published on 06-28-2012 09:07 PM
    Categories:
    1. Racing and Poker Runs
    Article Preview

by SeriousOffshore

Sarasota Florida will be the epicenter of offshore boat racing this weekend. The Suncoast Super Boat Grand Prix Festival in Sarasota will offer non-stop excitement for every offshore boat racing fan that can possibly be there. There will be competitive, side-by-side, action from many different types of machinery on Sunday’s race day, featuring some established stars and some rising talents. This will for sure be another unforgettable event in the waters off Sarasota, with things to talk about again and again.

The Sarasota event is one of the longest, continuously running, race sites in the country, this being its 27th year. All three days of the Suncoast Super Boat Weekend in Sarasota will ...
    Published on 06-20-2012 09:10 PM
    Categories:
    1. Racing and Poker Runs
    Article Preview

by SeriousOffshore

The first very first race in Tawas Michigan will be held this weekend. To say the area is excited would be an understatement. Here is a photo of one of the posters they have placed all around the area announcing the race.

Some of the comments from the organizers commenting about the excitement of having Offshore Race Boats from OPA come to Tawas Bay are as supporting as any have ever been in recent history.

It looks as if their support is going to pay off in a pretty good turnout of boats. ...
    Published on 05-05-2012 09:15 PM
    Categories:
    1. Marine Tech
    2. On The Water News
    Article Preview

by SeriousOffshore

Update Comments
    Well, unfortunately Phenomenon burned up a motor, number four, in testing on the Thursday before the Kilo Record Trials I cannot tell you how disappointed the fans were in Biloxi. I can tell you the Phenomenon team was as much, or even more disappointed as the fans. I spent some time chatting with Scott and Al at the dunker test on Friday, we were about the last to go. Scott would not say what speeds he was seeing before the engine went on Thursday, but I can tell you there was a really big smile on his face when he thought about it. Seems like a decent hint of what to expect ...
    Published on 04-19-2012 09:16 PM
    Categories:
    1. Racing and Poker Runs
    Article Preview

by SeriousOffshore

In our second installment on OSS Racing, Publisher Paul Rose talks with Biloxi race site promoter Woody Bailey about the race, the events and the biggest purse in offshore in this century.

Paul-
    Woody, you’ve got quite a bit invested in the upcoming Biloxi OSS event. It looks to be your biggest effort yet. What all do you have planned?
    Woody-
    We are very excited about Smokin’ The Sound this year. The tow money , increased purse and APBA-UIM sanctioned Kilo Run should make for an exciting weekend. We are also working with Stu Jones and the Florida Powerboat Club on our STS Poker Run which will be held on Saturday during the event. We ...
    Published on 04-13-2012 09:18 PM
    Categories:
    1. Racing and Poker Runs
    Article Preview

by SeriousOffshore

SeriousOffshore Publisher Paul Rose recently caught up with John Brunner, Director of Operations at Offshore Super Series, better known as OSS Racing. Paul talked with John about OSS history, the economy’s effect on racing and what the future holds for the organization.

Paul-
    OSS was originally assembled by race team owners as a “co -op”, with the idea of those that owned the show being in charge of the show. Who is OSS today?
    John-
    In the beginning, OSS was formed by a group of racers that were unhappy with the then-current administration ...
    Published on 03-27-2012 09:41 PM
    Categories:
    2. Marine Tech
    Article Preview

by SeriousOffshore

We caught up last week with Steve Stepp, founder and president of Velocity Powerboats. Steve was kind enough to share with us a look into how this long-time boatbuilder has been weathering the storm of this tight economy and some of the things they’re doing now and in the future.

In looking through the photos from the Miami Boat Show, something caught our eye. Among the million-dollar megaboats was one little, but very intriguing boat. Serious photojournalist Tommy Snyder happened across the Jack Daniel’s Velocity, appropriately named “Old No. 7” while navigating the vast Convention Center. Seeing this boat, we felt we needed to get the story behind what is arguably the smallest in the current trend of “theme ...
    Published on 03-20-2012 11:27 PM
    Categories:
    1. Racing and Poker Runs
    2. On The Water News
    Article Preview

by Steve David

All too often when someone dies in a boat racing accident, the various websites have several postings of condolences, with many saying “they died doing what they loved”. While there is no doubt that those of us who race do love racing, I don’t believe any of us want to die. Racing in fact, is more a celebration of life and living it fully by our self definition. To others it’s too risky, or simply a waste of time. Just look ...
    Published on 03-14-2012 11:29 PM
    Categories:
    2. On The Water News
    Article Preview

by Tommy Snyder

While attending the Miami Boat Show last month, I took a break from the crowds and spent a day hitting some spots around Miami. First on my list was the place that seems to be “ground zero” of the South Florida performance powerboating scene, Johnny Tomlinson’s TNT Custom Marine.
    Pulling onto the TNT lot, I immediately found myself in a traffic jam, with forklifts buzzing back and forth launching and racking boats. This is not your usual middle America-style boatyard. With the price of land on the water these days, there are ...
    Published on 03-06-2012 11:31 PM
    Categories:
    1. Racing and Poker Runs
    2. Manufacturers and Dealers
    Article Preview

by Jeff Dieringer

One of the most respected teams on and off the water is Team CRC, sponsored by Columbia Rim Corporation. Their current MTI 850 Supercat has been a mainstay on the offshore racing circuit and has carried the teammates Tim McDonald and Mike DeFrees to more than a few podium finishes.

Driver Mike DeFrees owns Columbia Rim and throttleman Tim McDonald is the owner of Oregon Custom Marine.
    A special thanks to our field reporter Jeff Dieringer. He called upon his existing friendship with the CRC team to bring us this inside look into their operation. Thanks also go out to our friends at Shoot2Thrill and FreezeFrame Video for their contributions to the story. ...
    Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast