• Traverse City Offshore Poker Run Helps Big Brothers Big Sisters With Fun and Finance

The first Traverse City Invitational Poker Run, put on by the Offshore Powerboat Association and the Offshore Classic group, was a great success for participants and beneficiaries. From the beginning on Friday where participants started showing up to the hotels, to the finale on Sunday where rides were given to both Bigs and Littles from the Big Brothers Big Sisters, everybody we spoke with had a great time and good things to say.

Getting ready for the start on Saturday morning.

Saturday started out overcast, but the water was nice for running. The drivers meeting at 10:00 went off without a hitch, it looked as if every boat entered was represented, and they were well prepared with maps and information. The run was a total of 110 miles starting at noon. There were three separate starting groups, each with their own pace boat. The fastest group started first, followed by the two groups which would travel a bit slower. All groups started two wide until past the Traverse Sail Regatta which was also taking place then, at 55 mph until past the release buoy, after which the green flags were displayed and all could travel at their normal comfort speed to the first card stop.

Pete Boden and Rudy Torres would be in the helicopter to capture photos and video.

While we were milling for the start, the Coast Guard came by in one of their Sikorsky MH-60T's. I believe they are capable of over 200MPH, but I guess they were unable to fly Pete and Rudy around.

Parnell milling prior to the noon start with the Hotel Indigo, our host hotel, in the background.

As everybody was waiting for their group to get going, we were able to get a few shots. It was a great turnout of over 50 boats for the event.

Then it was time to go. The water was great for running fast in offshore boats. In most areas, other than boat wakes, a one foot chop or less. Unfortunately, running fast seems to break more equipment than when everybody goes slower in rough water. But, at least it was great water and weather for idling back on one engine as the overcast burned off and the sun came out about half way through the run.

A couple of the group one boats in the distance as they were released to run.

Some boats from the run as we were cruising the event.

Usually I shoot from boats that cruise at around 65 to 70. This time, due to circumstances beyond my control, (my chauffer took a stumble down the stairs at his house and was unable to boat), I was shooting pics from a boat that cruised between the mid eighties and mid nineties. That certainly made it interesting, especially when we were in water that was a bit rougher, but I was able to get a few decent pics as I got more used to the circumstances and how I had to adjust the camera settings.

One of the most important things to remember about this event. The organizers wanted to make sure that the main purpose of this event was to benefit the Big Brothers Big Sisters charity so more kids could be helped. To make that happen, there was no entry fee paid to the event itself, but everybody made their payments directly to Big Brothers Big Sisters. As of Sunday when the Bigs and Littles were given rides on the boats, and the original check was presented, that amount was $25,600. As of Monday morning, that amount was up to over $30,000 and still growing.

The involvement of OPA, putting on their first ever weekend only Poker Run event, certainly made the event go smoother and added structure as well as credibility. Their safety boat with a certified rescue diver, plus their organizational skills before, during, and after helped make Matt's, Travis's, and the rest of the sponsors jobs easier. Matt says that is one of the reasons everything went so smooth and well for a first time event.

Make sure to watch this video by WWTV NEWS. Link:
    https://www.9and10news.com/2018/08/1...s-big-sisters/

Some really big smiles from both Bigs and Littles for what the volunteers did. A special thanks to all who stayed and gave rides. They are already hoping to have the same opportunity next year. Awesome!!

So, a great first-time event with a great cause to raise funds for. Everybody involved is to be congratulated.
    Comments 36 Comments
      Serious News -
      Serious News -
      Serious News -
      Serious News -
      Serious News -
      Bobcat -
      Nicely done Paul.
      Serious News -
      Serious News -
      Serious News -
      Serious News -
      Serious News -
      My new ride and chauffeur.

Serious News -
      Front and rear views in the afternoon heading towards Sutton's Bay for lunch.

Serious News -
      I think Pete was wanting a map cause he was lost???

Serious News -
      Serious News -
      Serious News -
      Serious News -
      Serious News -
      Serious News -