• Active Thunder In Miami 2014

Active Thunder had a presence at the Miami Boat Show this year for the first time in over 4 years. It was nice to chat with the owner Pat Haughey while looking at his latest 37 Xcess. As many of you are aware, our member Mike Sommers has a 37 Active Thunder in bright red with black stripes which he had at the Boyne Thunder Poker Run this past summer.

The boat has also been used in Active Thunder's advertising for it's offshore capabilities. Mike can attest that Pat knows how to drive offshore, and that the strength of the boat build, and its fully glassed hull to deck construction keeps the boat together and going when the going gets tough.

And, since Pat's newest boat is also a gorgeous bright red, Pat was teasing us that this was Mike's new boat. Now, I think it would be a good idea for Mike to make that happen. Mike???

The boat certainly was looking good, and it was refreshing to have a builder at the show with only high performance offshore type on display, no center console boats for this builder. As Pat says, he has no interest in building center console boats. The boat was equipped with twin 565 Mercury Racing engines, and with the Patented DDC Ventilated Step (#36879), bumping that magical 90mph marker is certainly possible as is a cruise of 60mph without pushing the engines hard therefor keeping fuel economy up. It was also interesting the way the back of the rear seat raises up with the engine hatch making engine access easier.

The boat performing on the water, enjoy.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Lw6Pv8kzX5w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pat also had their latest 33 Evolution there in the water.

This latest 33 footer had their modified center entry and dash for the larger GPS units that have become so popular. The 33 was also powered by twin Mercury Racing 565's and we're thinking a mid-ninety top end is certainly within reason with their DDC Ventilated bottom. This was also their first 33 with a full cabin liner. It's new owners took the boat after the show on the FPC Miami Poker Run, captured by Pete Boden of Shoot 2 Thrill. Wish we could have gone along....

Pat has plans for 2014, and expects it to be a good year. We had hoped to make it back over to more closely review the boat, (it's on our short list if we change from our current boats), but with how busy the show was our taxi took over an hour to get back and forth to the in-the-water from the convention center, and the next day they were saying it was taking twice as long. So, until next time.....

http://activethunderboats.com/index.htm
    Comments 3 Comments
      Ratickle -
      I winder if there is a secret initiation to becoming a cult member??
      redhotsommer -
      Hey kids! I've been running around the northwoods enjoying all the frozen water Ma Nature has allotted for this winter. Can't wait to get back on the water soon, though! Immediately after I saw the 565 boat, I told Pat that would have to be my next one. I guess I'm fortunate that Brian (excess on oso) likes red as much as me...he is the one behind the builds of both boats. I really dig the tan interior as well...and it goes without saying that the 565s would be nice to have...lol.
      Ratickle -
      So, you should have been in Miami instead of the frozen north!!