PDA

View Full Version : CUV scores C-T-C victory 25 years after it's last C-T-C victory

Dude! Sweet!
09-01-2009, 05:39 PM
Posted elsewhere, but worth repeating...

Last weekend the 38 CUV "Cinzano 558" formerly run by multi-time world champion Renato Della Valle celebrated it's 25 anniversary of winning the open ocean endurance classic Cowes-Torquay-Cowes endurance race winning it again.

It's a tremendous accomplishment by a recently restored offshore legend.

http://www.britishpowerboatracingclub.co.uk/index.htm

I'm sure many other people are much more familiar than I with the long and storied history of CUV ("united shipbuilders of Viareggio", to translate loosely, but properly pronounced by imagining that you're Flavio Brigatore and then saying "Koooove" with a smarmy psuedo-Italian accent :D ). The long and short is that these boats (there are less than 20 built and probably 10 in existence today) have been winning world championships since the early '80's and can still lay down the law today (Adriano Panatta won the 2004 P1 Evolution class in a '41).

So I'll raise a bottle of Sambuca to the mighty CUV and invite you old-boat-heads to join me.

Dude! Sweet!
09-01-2009, 05:45 PM
More photos...

Dude! Sweet!
09-01-2009, 05:49 PM
Oh ok... A couple of Thuraya too since I mentioned her. :sifone: Then and now.

Top Banana
09-01-2009, 06:22 PM
Well great American patriots......do we have an Apache that is ready to go for the Miami to Key West race next February????

Last 2 open ocean races and no Apaches ?????

Dude! Sweet!
09-01-2009, 06:29 PM
I may have been slightly off on my terminology... May have been 25 years for this CUV's first win (won in '84 and '85) rather than it's last...

http://www.britishpowerboatracingclub.co.uk/ctc%20winners.htm

Based on this listing, this boat could have won 2 or more times. That's out of at least 6 CUV wins (7 if you count the Pichiotti dry Martini in '79). When I looked at this boat a few years ago, I recall that it could have been the same boat as Rothmans/Ego as well (But I think that was speculation and I belive there's another CUV restored to Rothmans livery).

More pics!

MikeyFIN
09-02-2009, 02:22 AM
Well great American patriots......do we have an Apache that is ready to go for the Miami to Key West race next February????

Last 2 open ocean races and no Apaches ?????

Shame on You Apache guys!!!
Donīt you know boats (and women) like to be used, properly http://www.boatmad.com/forum/images/smilies/wankersmillie.gif :sifone:

On the Other Hand CUVīs are Only Racers so thatīs understandable they are still used properly.
Now guys With Race Apaches ?
Thereīs gotta be some others holding the flag than Mark and Lucy...:USA:

Dude! Sweet!
09-02-2009, 01:46 PM
I'd be hard pressed to say that you can compare the construction of one of these boat to just about anything else... There's a reason that the same boat that suffered that massive stuff pictured above was able to win the P1 championship in '04... Looks like the inside of a B29!

Dude! Sweet!
09-02-2009, 01:51 PM
This is what Cinzano looked like a couple of years ago when I sent one of my buddies over to France to look at it for me. Again notice the construction and size of the boat. The individual in the photo is 5'10" (and is trying to let me know how much cockpit room there might be for a back seat addition).

Dude! Sweet!
09-02-2009, 01:54 PM
I'm frankly suprised that there's so little interst in these boats from the oldschool gang here...

I fell in love with Thuraya watching the 2005 P1 series on Speed and got a great education about these boats from Marco (Black Tornado), LittleNige, Tim B-C, and Patrick Caldente (former owner of Cinzano) who are also responsible for many of the pictures and who each (other than maybe Nige) crewed or raced a CUV at one point or another.

These boats really are the Ferrari GTO of offshore boats.

MikeyFIN
09-02-2009, 02:30 PM
The reason for the Lack on interest is twofold.
Itīs plain too hardcore for none other than a total racenut and...
Iīf you ainīt familiar with italian machinery then this might make you see nightmares...

But a Lambo engine ainīt nothing but nuts and bolts, somewhat expensive ones thou but then on the other hand US Horsepower ainīt cheap here either.

http://www.seriousoffshore.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=40019&d=1251914232

Iīd be happy to help researching anyone interested in these boats.

DAREDEVIL
09-02-2009, 02:33 PM
well great american patriots......do we have an apache that is ready to go for the miami to key west race next february????

Last 2 open ocean races and no apaches ?????

it would be awsome to get alez-vite and the warpath to do that one !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MikeyFIN
09-02-2009, 02:37 PM
it would be awsome to get alez-vite and the warpath to do that one !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At LEAST those two...

MikeyFIN
09-02-2009, 02:38 PM
This is what Cinzano looked like a couple of years ago when I sent one of my buddies over to France to look at it for me. Again notice the construction and size of the boat. The individual in the photo is 5'10" (and is trying to let me know how much cockpit room there might be for a back seat addition).

Only stand in bolsters in the back..just like the McManus OffDuty 42.

MikeyFIN
09-02-2009, 02:44 PM
Offtopic.
The one further back is none other Than Late Great ex Ferrari no1 Formula 1 Driver Didier Pironis one off Colibri which took Offshore racing to another level and is even today more than extreme as a boat.
1982 Didier Pironi crashed at a Race mid season while leading the series only to lose the championship in the final race to Keke Rosberg, ending Pironis autoracing career.
Then in 1987 the curtain fell for him at CTC in Colibri.
Even Enzo Ferrari himself remembered Didier when he got his first offshore win.

Didier you wonīt be forgotten.
http://seriousoffshore.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=40018&d=1251914232

Dude! Sweet!
09-02-2009, 02:54 PM
Offtopic.
The one further back is none other Than Late Great ex Ferrari no1 Formula 1 Driver Didier Pironis one off Colibri which took Offshore racing to another level and is even today more than extreme as a boat.
1982 Didier Pironi crashed at a Race mid season while leading the series only to lose the championship in the final race to Keke Rosberg, ending Pironis autoracing career.
Then in 1987 the curtain fell for him at CTC in Colibri.
Even Enzo Ferrari himself remembered Didier when he got his first offshore win.

Didier you wonīt be forgotten.
http://seriousoffshore.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=40018&d=1251914232

Indeed. Another reason I like that picture so much.

Dude! Sweet!
09-02-2009, 02:57 PM
Only stand in bolsters in the back..just like the McManus OffDuty 42.

Or my 28 Pantera! :sifone:

And just to be clear, the ONLY reason I didn't buy this CUV when I had the chance is becuase I'm a complete and total idiot... But seeing her current state and sucess racing again takes all the sting of regret away.

I will say that one of the first calls I make, should I ever become wrecklessly wealthy, will be to Adriano Panatta or one of his representatives... Then we'd get to see a CUV racing in the US all the time! :D

MikeyFIN
09-02-2009, 03:07 PM
GOTME!

You might also want to contact on the other site Black Tornado/Marco from Italy.
He has located a graveyard of old raceboats in Italy which held at least 4-5 CUV monos and then some...
Plus The Cigarette/Black Tornado...

I have knowledge of some graveyards in the mid east but havenīt seen them places yet in person.
There might even be a Apache 47 getting dusty...

Dude! Sweet!
09-02-2009, 03:12 PM
This shipyard in Viareggio courtesy of Marco...

MikeyFIN
09-02-2009, 03:14 PM
Indeed. Another reason I like that picture so much.

And the STEP in the bottom ainīt what made Colibri so special...

Dude! Sweet!
09-02-2009, 03:15 PM
Also from Marco...

MikeyFIN
09-02-2009, 03:19 PM
This shipyard in Viareggio courtesy of Marco...

hmmm the U.I.M. Worlds are there this year, but our team lacks money to go there racing.:(

Gladhe8er
09-02-2009, 04:33 PM
What's the power/drives in Cinzano?

Dude! Sweet!
09-02-2009, 04:35 PM
Now she's running sixes and Illmors. When I looked at her she was BBC and fives.

Baja Fresh
09-02-2009, 05:52 PM
Or my 28 Pantera! :sifone:

And just to be clear, the ONLY reason I didn't buy this CUV when I had the chance is becuase I'm a complete and total idiot... But seeing her current state and sucess racing again takes all the sting of regret away.

I will say that one of the first calls I make, should I ever become wrecklessly wealthy, will be to Adriano Panatta or one of his representatives... Then we'd get to see a CUV racing in the US all the time! :D

I think you already have your hands full with boat projects! :D

Dude! Sweet!
09-02-2009, 05:59 PM
I think you already have your hands full with boat projects! :D

Ha! This was before I repowered my first 28. Now, I have WAAAY too much going on to start another project!

Wheel bearing?

Baja Fresh
09-02-2009, 06:36 PM
Wheel bearing?

Fixed. Have to check the other side. Will do Sat morning and try to make the SCOPE raft up in Newport.

Looking at new trailers now. Always something!

Dude! Sweet!
09-03-2009, 10:41 AM
So information from "other sources" (Flying Fish on OSO)...

Apache vs CUV Key West 1985.

Race 1 - Apache 1st,Cinzano 4th
Race 2 - Cinzano 1st,Apache ret
Race 3 - Apache 2nd,Cinzano 4th

Total Points - Cinzano 738,Apache 700

(Do I hear the crowd chanting "Score-board" right now :sifone: )

PJC
09-04-2009, 02:31 PM
so information from "other sources" (flying fish on oso)...

Apache vs cuv key west 1985.

Race 1 - apache 1st,cinzano 4th
race 2 - cinzano 1st,apache ret
race 3 - apache 2nd,cinzano 4th

total points - cinzano 738,apache 700

(do i hear the crowd chanting "score-board" right now :sifone: )

but it was a cougar that won the championship

Dude! Sweet!
09-04-2009, 02:46 PM
but it was a cougar that won the championship

Welcome! Pictures and proof please (ok, I'm just fishing to keep more oldschool discussion going here!) :sifone:

smokeybandit
09-04-2009, 08:50 PM
Welcome! Pictures and proof please (ok, I'm just fishing to keep more oldschool discussion going here!) :sifone:

It was AJ Jr's Mr. Roberts.

Dude! Sweet!
09-05-2009, 01:02 AM

46 Cougar?

Buoy
09-05-2009, 01:57 AM
You guys amaze me with the History and knowledge.
I can't even remember what I had for lunch today.

This is great stuff!!

Welcome here PJC.

PJC
09-05-2009, 04:20 AM
This boat was 1st overall (Driver: AJ Roberts, Throttle Man: Steve Curtis, Navigator: Me)

PJC
09-05-2009, 04:29 AM
found another

MikeyFIN
09-05-2009, 05:31 AM
Dumb me as I was searching for a MONO Cougar....
PS this is what the thread is about..thereīs no question that Cats do Dominate in any weather.

smokeybandit
09-05-2009, 10:09 AM
PJC,

Looks like we have something in common. In 1985 we won the worlds in P class. I was driver, Kurt Berger on throttles, and Tom Newman navigating.

What a great year!

Robert

PJC
09-05-2009, 10:20 AM
if you want a mohnhull the Cougar 46' Mercruiser Special won superboat in 1983, 85 was a year for cats, Maggie's Mercruiser Special won superboat

PJC
09-05-2009, 10:22 AM
PJC,

Looks like we have something in common. In 1985 we won the worlds in P class. I was driver, Kurt Berger on throttles, and Tom Newman navigating.

What a great year!

Robert

I remember the boat

Dude! Sweet!
09-05-2009, 11:56 AM
Curse of the west coast strikes again... Got up and looked it up in Searace this morning. My bad, gin and ignorance are a volitle combination! :sifone:

Glad to see that this thread is finally getting going! Thanks guys!

Della Valle sure did win a lot of races during that period!

Dude! Sweet!
09-05-2009, 12:17 PM
Just read the season recap in Searace as well. Didn't realize that Steve Curtis throttled Mr. Roberts or the grim overtone that week carried with all of the crashes.

Seem like it must have been big, unperdictable water.

I'd love to hear the "long version" of both of your triumphs that week.

MikeyFIN
09-05-2009, 12:27 PM
if you want a mohnhull the Cougar 46' Mercruiser Special won superboat in 1983, 85 was a year for cats, Maggie's Mercruiser Special won superboat

The First powerboat I was ever in was actually a 46 Cougar back in the day...
3X 575īs SSM #3Aīs on the sides and a #4 or 5 in the middle.

Buoy
09-05-2009, 12:44 PM

Why the combination of 3A's and a 4 or 5 in the center? What is the benefit of the "odd" drive?

Dude! Sweet!
09-05-2009, 01:13 PM
Keeps all the props at the same height. The 4/5 is a short shaft drive so the center motor can go lower in the hull and still run the props level with the o/s motors. As I understand it...

MikeyFIN
09-05-2009, 01:14 PM
Why the combination of 3A's and a 4 or 5 in the center? What is the benefit of the "odd" drive?

If Iīm not mistaking the 4/5 is shorter and has to be as it would be so low that it would break more than it already did because the prop bites too hard.
My choice wouldīve been Arnesons...
Damn Dude you beat me to it..

MikeyFIN
09-05-2009, 01:15 PM
Keeps all the props at the same height. The 4/5 is a short shaft drive so the center motor can go lower in the hull and still run the props level with the o/s motors. As I understand it...

Or at least somewhat level...

PJC
09-05-2009, 01:16 PM

Normally a Mk4's for the two outer engines and a Mk3 in the centre, the Mk3 was longer so the engine set up was better

MikeyFIN
09-05-2009, 01:19 PM
Normally a Mk4's for the two outer engines and a Mk3 in the centre, the Mk3 was longer so the engine set up was better

Coulda been that way too but why..in the turns the outers are so far out and up they loose grip or ?
As you say it might stand correct the middle one was a 3 and not even a 3A as it was constantly broken.

PJC
09-05-2009, 01:42 PM
Just read the season recap in Searace as well. Didn't realize that Steve Curtis throttled Mr. Roberts or the grim overtone that week carried with all of the crashes.

Seem like it must have been big, unperdictable water.

I'd love to hear the "long version" of both of your triumphs that week.

Mr Roberts was Steve's first professional throttling job, the 1985 championship was the first of eight todate.

I have enough of a problem remembering what I did last week let alone 24 years ago! I do remember it was a strange week for us all, the shock of the loss of our team mates Dick & Mike was hard. Once the decision was made to continue racing we really did not have much time to think about what had happened as our boat was falling apart and needed re-riveting back together after each race, I cant even remember where we came in each race, just know we won, I still have the navigation charts from those races somewhere and the red ensign we flew.

PJC
09-05-2009, 01:47 PM
Mk4 outboard and the longer Mk3 in the centre

MikeyFIN
09-05-2009, 02:14 PM
Must say that looks familiar...

Buoy
09-05-2009, 03:41 PM
I'm really glad you guys participate here on the board.
I love this stuff, and it's great hearing about it from the guys that were there.

Dude! Sweet!
09-05-2009, 06:07 PM

You know, its funny, as I was typing that, I was thinking about the set up on my twin O/B 24 pantera and the fact that the motors are 5" below the bottom straight ahead of the bullet, but probably only about 2" below the keel (if that) and wondering why they'd run the long drives on the outside, where the bottom of the boat is higher... But like I said, gin and ignorance will get you down the road... :D

And as Tim (Bouy) said, I'm very glad you guys are here to set us idiots straight and give us a connection to first hand history...

Dude! Sweet!
09-05-2009, 06:10 PM
Mr Roberts was Steve's first professional throttling job, the 1985 championship was the first of eight todate.

I have enough of a problem remembering what I did last week let alone 24 years ago! I do remember it was a strange week for us all, the shock of the loss of our team mates Dick & Mike was hard. Once the decision was made to continue racing we really did not have much time to think about what had happened as our boat was falling apart and needed re-riveting back together after each race, I cant even remember where we came in each race, just know we won, I still have the navigation charts from those races somewhere and the red ensign we flew.

It's interesting... I've talked to Cougar guys and it seems like they were always putting their boats back together, while the CUV guys I've talked to at least pretend to be astonished at the notion that they'd have to reassemble their boats between races. Is this true? Was there a materially different construction and maintenance schedule or are the CUV guys all just full of it?

MikeyFIN
09-16-2009, 02:24 PM
Dude...do you ever get a straight answer from an Italian ?

Dude! Sweet!
09-16-2009, 02:41 PM
Dude...do you ever get a straight answer from an Italian ?

Zing! :sifone:

sterling
09-19-2009, 03:16 PM
Also from Marco...

The boat in post # 20 in the centre picture ,the #88 is the boat were my 3 engines are coming from ,these are BPM twin turbo V8 aluminium motors,I bought the engines only ,there were 2 in the boat staggered mounted ,and 1 new spare engine ,I bought the engines in 2001 ,the boat must be somewhere in the Netherlands overhere ,I can find out if anyone is intrested to buy

cougarman
09-19-2009, 03:28 PM
Thanks for sharing

Jon

Steve 1
09-19-2009, 07:30 PM
A friend of mine used to race CUVs, Davy Wilson you could always tell his boat from the life raft being tied down right behind the Throttle Bolster.

Dude! Sweet!
09-21-2009, 01:52 PM
A friend of mine used to race CUVs, Davy Wilson you could always tell his boat from the life raft being tied down right behind the Throttle Bolster.

Out of paranoia or necessity? :sifone:

Dude! Sweet!
09-21-2009, 01:57 PM
The boat in post # 20 in the centre picture ,the #88 is the boat were my 3 engines are coming from ,these are BPM twin turbo V8 aluminium motors,I bought the engines only ,there were 2 in the boat staggered mounted ,and 1 new spare engine ,I bought the engines in 2001 ,the boat must be somewhere in the Netherlands overhere ,I can find out if anyone is intrested to buy

It's a 41 correct?

Steve 1
09-21-2009, 02:26 PM
Out of paranoia or necessity? :sifone:

No they ran in big Water I guess expediency instead of having to dive into a sinking boat to retrieve it. I saw the Logic after we (under orders) set up a boat with two 2 man rafts the boat went down one was pulled out but in the rush the second was inflated on the way out of the round hole in the main bulkhead.

Dude! Sweet!
09-21-2009, 05:21 PM
Ah, misunderstood your inference. Looks like a raft on the back of the Tussaud boat in my last post.

olli
09-22-2009, 02:10 AM
It's a 41 correct?

38'

This is a 41':
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff120/oli5400/d001.jpg

MikeyFIN
09-22-2009, 03:19 AM
and the difference can be seen in the pics where?

MOBILEMERCMAN
09-22-2009, 03:51 AM

This following year.. I would love to see you charts if you could find them

I'm really glad you guys participate here on the board.
I love this stuff, and it's great hearing about it from the guys that were there.

Me too

MOBILEMERCMAN
09-22-2009, 03:54 AM
Mk4 outboard and the longer Mk3 in the centre

Here is a pic from '08. Did it always have the boxes?

Thanks so much for your input here.

MOBILEMERCMAN
09-22-2009, 04:16 AM

This boat was 1st overall (Driver: AJ Roberts, Throttle Man: Steve Curtis, Navigator: Me)

Score card:

Should be able to double click to read.

FLYING FISH
09-22-2009, 05:20 AM
The ironic thing is that Trussardi was Alitalia Due which was co driven by Davy Wilson,and in actual fact a Picchiotti built hull not a CUV,although the CUV/Picchiotti politics has been documented on OSO by `Black Tornado` in the past.
The rear gunners seat is usually the givaway between a 38 and a 41.

olli
09-22-2009, 07:55 AM
:huh:
Mmmmh, FF are you sure that Alitalia 2 became Trussardi? Alitalia 3 looks more like it but is still different. Why would someone make all these changes to the deck?
I took the pics of Trussardi on the cradle and there was 3/86 (not sure about the 3) hammered in the boweye. Any ideas?

smokeybandit
09-22-2009, 09:15 AM
Score card:

Should be able to double click to read.

Thanks for posting that. Always love to see my name at the top of any list. Which race program is that from?

Amzing that back then we had more boats in one class than they get in an entire now.

MOBILEMERCMAN
09-22-2009, 11:51 AM
Spirit of America Grand Haven , Aug 9, 1986

Steve 1
09-22-2009, 12:06 PM
As I understand a lot of the Italian tin boats were Designed by Mr Shead and the first did not have any strakes they were added later on.

Dude! Sweet!
09-22-2009, 12:23 PM
Very nice. Thanks guys! I see Sun International on there as well. As I recall that was the CUV that ultimately became Panatta's Thuraya right?

Jim any guess wether the Modified class "United Racing Engines" entry driven by Al Garbett was a Pantera?

FLYING FISH
09-22-2009, 12:54 PM
CUV made deck changes to various CUV boats.

Alitalia Due looked much the same when it became Dry Martini 2 and then Ego.Then the deck seemed to be modified when it became Rothmans Ego and then Ouragon and then Trussardi.

Black Tornado could well comment on all this if he dialled in.Between us we have looked at these past boats to fiqure out the history and it`s quite a minefield believe me.

I can tell you that when the original Alitalia boats were drawn (strakes and all) for the Picchiotti build,the only other involvement by Don Shead was to extend the lines to 41ft.The construction drawings for the Alitalia boats were used for the CUV boats and presumably modified as most people do.They were a work of art ,alloy boats are,even back to the days of Thunderbird and Momma Maritime and the Vosper built Flying Fish.

Can`t comment on the bow stamp.Maybe a lifting code.

Alberto Smania had the Alitalia Tre eventually.

Steve 1
09-22-2009, 01:46 PM
Davy and myself worked together on tooling projects and some other stuff, we were discussing Bottoms on the Italian Boats when something was mentioned about an early build without strakes that was ran and they were added later His comment was it ran fine, As for the drawings I can’t Imagine doing a set without the lift strips/spray rails being shown, I did not mean my comment that way.

Dude! Sweet!
09-22-2009, 02:02 PM
And by the way, glad to see the european contingent finally finding your way over here. I always enjoy the discussion from you guys. Hopefully someone will get Marco over here too! :D

PJC
09-23-2009, 12:46 PM
And a American built version, originally made for Ted Toleman and rigged by Davy Wilson

Dude! Sweet!
09-23-2009, 02:25 PM
And a American built version, originally made for Ted Toleman and rigged by Davy Wilson

Never seen that one before. So basically a CUV type hull but built in the US? Who built it? I take it that it's in the UK now?

MOBILEMERCMAN
09-23-2009, 02:34 PM
Jim any guess wether the Modified class "United Racing Engines" entry driven by Al Garbett was a Pantera?

Dude in '85 United Racing Engines was listed with Al Garbett in a 30 Shadow.

FastDonzi
09-23-2009, 02:40 PM

Pete, is that the Salt Shaker? (I think they called it)

smokeybandit
09-23-2009, 02:56 PM

You beat me to it. All black Shadow. Very fast and good in rough water. They had some great racing with Jesse James.

MOBILEMERCMAN
09-23-2009, 02:57 PM
Never seen that one before. So basically a CUV type hull but built in the US? Who built it? I take it that it's in the UK now?

It is flying a Jaguar Logo forward.

Dude! Sweet!
09-23-2009, 03:57 PM

Thanks! The 28 I have now was covered with URE stickers back in '85 but I didn't think Garbett was driving (Although not really sure).

Black Tornado
09-23-2009, 05:46 PM
Here I am!
With Flying Fish we have spent a lot of time in our 'darkened rooms'-me like Inspector Clouseau and FF like Doc. Watson- to analyze the various Shead-Picchiotti-CUVs and we have succeeded in arriving to some conclusions.
The Alitalia Due became Dry Martini 2 next Martini Racing next Ego/Canale 5 next Ego/Rothmans(from Key West Worlds in 1981 with the modified windshield-Rombo/Marlboro style and new engines hatches.)next Blade Runner-Ouragan in 1983-84.
The Alitalia Tre became Studio Smania Interni/Cigahotels Uno,and-after it burned- with a new concave windshield that became characteristic for the next 38's of CUV saga-next Rombo-Marlboro etc....up to 1991.
Trussardi was the former second 38' for Della Valle built in 1983 as Ego/Rothmans that then became Cinzano Bianco for two years(1984-85) and next Trussardi next Dimensione Uomo and Biancaneve alls for Alessandro Zodo in 1986-87-88. Now is the winner of CTC 2009.
There was another Trussardi for Popo Giovio in 1987 with two Procar Turbo engines but it's another story.

Dude! Sweet!
09-23-2009, 06:28 PM
Here I am!
With Flying Fish we have spent a lot of time in our 'darkened rooms'-me like Inspector Clouseau and FF like Doc. Watson- to analyze the various Shead-Picchiotti-CUVs and we have succeeded in arriving to some conclusions.
The Alitalia Due became Dry Martini 2 next Martini Racing next Ego/Canale 5 next Ego/Rothmans(from Key West Worlds in 1981 with the modified windshield-Rombo/Marlboro style and new engines hatches.)next Blade Runner-Ouragan in 1983-84.
The Alitalia Tre became Studio Smania Interni/Cigahotels Uno,and-after it burned- with a new concave windshield that became characteristic for the next 38's of CUV saga-next Rombo-Marlboro etc....up to 1991.
Trussardi was the former second 38' for Della Valle built in 1983 as Ego/Rothmans that then became Cinzano Bianco for two years(1984-85) and next Trussardi next Dimensione Uomo and Biancaneve alls for Alessandro Zodo in 1986-87-88. Now is the winner of CTC 2009.
There was another Trussardi for Popo Giovio in 1987 with two Procar Turbo engines but it's another story.

Thanks Marco! I ascribe my passion and knowlege regarding CUV the the discussions we had (along with Patrick) a couple of years ago. I know your heart belongs to the 36 Cigarette, but it's hard to to compare many other boats to the mightiness and history that the CUV's carry with them.

You'll have to tell them where Rombo is now...

And thank you and FF for all the photos!!

Black Tornado
09-23-2009, 07:21 PM
Thanks Marco! I ascribe my passion and knowlege regarding CUV the the discussions we had (along with Patrick) a couple of years ago. I know your heart belongs to the 36 Cigarette, but it's hard to to compare many other boats to the mightiness and history that the CUV's carry with them.

You'll have to tell them where Rombo is now...

And thank you and FF for all the photos!!

Sorry but also I would want to know where that CUVs is today. The photos that you have posted were taken by a friend of mine immediately gone off from after the boat had been hauled by the waters of the island Gorgona to Viareggio, around 30 nautical miles.
The CUV of Smania and Diridoni was fighting nearby bow to bow with the Bertram 38' of Toleman and Cripps in the 1980 Viareggio-Bastia-Viareggio final leg after a 170 miles lasting duel. While on calm waters the two boats left the isle of Gorgona from portside and they definitely aimed their bows to Viareggio with the Bertram leading for hundreds feet some flames have gotten up from the engines bay of the CUV.
Fuel probably gone out of from an injector was rained on the red-hot Pattersons exhaust was burning. The crew plunged in sea attending that exploded the six tanks now almost empty but fully of gas of the avio gasoline.
The crew was recovered and brought to Viareggio while the boat instead of exploding burnt the little gasoline been smothered by the automatic extenguishing plant present on board stopped also thanks to the structure in aluminum that didn't leave feeding too much to the fire.
The boat completely emptied of all items was brought to the CUV for repairs.
When it returned at the base of the Petroni's team where I had from little started to work the undersigned with the friend author of the photos were orders inside the boat to polish up the black smoke stuck in the hull.
It was a nauseating job where me taken a poisoning because gasoline exhalation that was given to us to remove the haze layer.

FLYING FISH
09-24-2009, 03:22 AM
The Trussardi of P.Giovio is the one that was Ouragon according to our latest findings Marco.The other Trussardi (painted white No 96) is as you say in your post.

The Goldrush boat is nothing to do with CUV, but is a Don Shead design with construction as per the Alitalia boats which went on to be the model for the CUV boats.

Started life as Toleman Group (1981),then Goldrush (1982/83),then The Legend (1984/85),then Ricard (1987).

When it was Goldrush/The Legend it had 2 x Jaguars = 1500hp
Built by Saltshaker who left off some vital longitudinal deck stringers under the cockpit,and the deck began to fold before it was modified back as it should have been.

PJC
09-24-2009, 04:38 AM
Built by Saltshaker who left off some vital longitudinal deck stringers under the cockpit,and the deck began to fold before it was modified back as it should have been.

I remember that Steve and myself spent about a week in the front removing the rigging so repairs could be done after the Miami - Bimini race in 1981

FLYING FISH
09-24-2009, 06:18 AM
Outrageous! What`s a cougar man doing on a Shead boat,picking up tips on how to not do alloy construction for the first alloy cougar cat.Nah! surely not.

Dude! Sweet!
09-24-2009, 12:18 PM
Sorry but also I would want to know where that CUVs is today.

My bad, I thought that you'd told me she was sitting on the bottom of the Adriatic, but maybe that was one of the others?

This is great stuff! Thank you guys all for coming overhere and enriching the discussion with your experiences and knowlege.

I've grown very fond of the aestetics of the metal boats. They give off a purposefulness and sense of invincibility that the fiberglass boats don't have in my mind. Kind of like seeing the beauty in a sledgehammer... :D

Dude! Sweet!
09-24-2009, 12:20 PM
The Trussardi of P.Giovio is the one that was Ouragon according to our latest findings Marco.The other Trussardi (painted white No 96) is as you say in your post.

The Goldrush boat is nothing to do with CUV, but is a Don Shead design with construction as per the Alitalia boats which went on to be the model for the CUV boats.

Started life as Toleman Group (1981),then Goldrush (1982/83),then The Legend (1984/85),then Ricard (1987).

Thanks! All new to me and very intersting. Where is she now?

FLYING FISH
09-24-2009, 01:04 PM
Good Question.

PJC
09-24-2009, 01:45 PM
Outrageous! What`s a cougar man doing on a Shead boat,picking up tips on how to not do alloy construction for the first alloy cougar cat.Nah! surely not.

Nah, the first alloy Cougars had been built by then

Black Tornado
09-24-2009, 05:54 PM
My bad, I thought that you'd told me she was sitting on the bottom of the Adriatic, but maybe that was one of the others?

This is great stuff! Thank you guys all for coming overhere and enriching the discussion with your experiences and knowlege.

I've grown very fond of the aestetics of the metal boats. They give off a purposefulness and sense of invincibility that the fiberglass boats don't have in my mind. Kind of like seeing the beauty in a sledgehammer... :D

You are right I knew that it was on the bottom of the Adriatic sea I think on the area of the Tremiti islands but then I have read somewhere that she had been raised.

Black Tornado
09-24-2009, 06:07 PM
[QUOTE=FLYING FISH;324615]The Trussardi of P.Giovio is the one that was Ouragon according to our latest findings Marco.The other Trussardi (painted white No 96) is as you say in your post.

CUV kaos....
No Graham,the Trussardi No 88 of Giovio it seems was a new 38' built in 1987-probably the last 38' CUV built.
The Trussardi of Zodo became Dimensione Uomo No 96 again for Zodo.
The two boats run the Italian 1987 season first race at Rapallo in April.

Dude! Sweet!
09-24-2009, 06:11 PM
How many 38 and 41 mono hulls? I seem to recall no more than a dozen, maybe less total (based on the spreadsheet you sent me). How many of each have been accounted for still in existence.

Seems like there were possibly five 41 footers? I can only think of Thuraya, Force One or maybe they had two (white and yellow)?

Bobcat
09-24-2009, 06:14 PM
most excellent thread

Dude! Sweet!
09-24-2009, 06:14 PM
And then, what's the story behind this one?!

Black Tornado
09-24-2009, 06:32 PM
And then, what's the story behind this one?!

This is Biancaneve (White Snow) always the boat of Zodo-Trussardi 1986-Dimensione Uomo 1987 ex Della Valle first CUV 38.

FLYING FISH
09-25-2009, 05:44 AM
Although Marco and I have had a good go at tracing the history of these craft,there are still a few ones that have escaped the net.See attatchment.Same boat?

So far numbers logged as follows

38`s

Alitalia Uno (Picchiotti)
Alitalia Due (Picchiotti)
Alitalia Tre
Martini Racing (Picchiotti Design)
Ali Reza
Rothmans Ego
Trussardi
Ego Lamborghini
Muira
Nooxy

41`s

Chesterfield Missoni
Eberhard & Co
Annabella
Sun International
Paul Picot
Parfums Trussardi ? (As attachment)

Back to the darkroom with you Marco

Dude! Sweet!
09-25-2009, 12:01 PM
FF, the first boat in your last post (cantieri del Med) looks to be the boat tied up to the inside of the #75 boat in the first photo in post #96. Then I would expect that the outside boat is the same as the thrid photo in post #96. I'd thought that that boat was the same boat as the middle boat, only repainted, but on review the exhaust and drives are different.

FLYING FISH
09-25-2009, 12:22 PM
The white boat was ex-Paul Picot,the yellow boat was ex-Muira,the red boat was ex-Sun International.Chesterfield Missoni was destroyed,Annabella became Folletts,which only leaves Eberhard or Trussardi.See what a minefield it is.I cannot find anything in Marco`s notes to clarify those three boats I have posted.

olli
09-25-2009, 01:08 PM
Just to ad some confusion I want to remind of GB Pedrini 38' and a winged red 38' Iranian Loom (looks like the white one but I think the wing was not so far aft). Have fun:bigear:!
Another pic for Dude:

Dude! Sweet!
09-25-2009, 01:26 PM
Thanks Olli! It's funny, I rarely see a picture of a CUV that's not FLYING!

So that leaves 5 41s? Man these things are rarer than a 250 GTO! :D

Geronimo36
09-25-2009, 04:41 PM
So information from "other sources" (Flying Fish on OSO)...

Apache vs CUV Key West 1985.

Race 1 - Apache 1st,Cinzano 4th
Race 2 - Cinzano 1st,Apache ret
Race 3 - Apache 2nd,Cinzano 4th

Total Points - Cinzano 738,Apache 700

(Do I hear the crowd chanting "Score-board" right now :sifone: )

In race #2 Apache DNF so if they placed even 4th like Cinzano did in two races, Apache would have beat them in points... It's symantics...

I agree you have to finish to win but as far as placement is concerned Apache had the better record with a 1st, 2nd in two out of three races. Cinzano placed 4th in two races and the race they placed 1st Apache DNF. All Apache had to do was finish the race and I'm sure they would have edged out Cinzano in points. ;)

counting points, yeah, they won but I don't see them as the faster boat. ;):lurk5:

Here's the US1, 86'
http://www.youtube.com/user/fungarten1#play/uploads/9/tlyg3TN5hVM

There's no doubt the CUV is a strong competitor!

MikeyFIN
09-25-2009, 05:13 PM
counting points, yeah, they won but I don't see them as the faster boat. ;):lurk5:

I thought Fountain fans would draw the Fastest flexiflyer card...

There's no doubt the CUV is a strong competitor!

Now thatīs whatīs offshore is all about...Strong and tough.

Geronimo36
09-25-2009, 05:15 PM
just givin you back some of your symantics posted in the Apache threads Mikey! ;)

Carry on fellas! :)

FLYING FISH
09-26-2009, 03:36 AM
Based on KW85 I would have said Apache had the upperhand,but in reality both Shead and Aronow boats were pretty evenly matched.
If you take the period when Don Shead`s Unowot was up against the ciggy Dry Martini,that was pretty even ,and both boats have gone on to be used as models for CUV and Apache respectively.

FLYING FISH
09-26-2009, 03:42 AM
ex- Eberhard & Co 41ft

Dude! Sweet!
09-26-2009, 11:16 AM
Was the boat sucessful with the wing? Was the wing effective?

olli
09-26-2009, 01:14 PM
Asked about the wings on his Buzzi mono Fiat Uno A. Ugland said:
"They start to work at about 85-90 mph. At that speed they stabilize the boat and give us quite a lot of lift at the back. It depends on the adjustments."
Mmmmh. At least those wings create some additional space for the sponsors:)

FLYING FISH
09-26-2009, 01:24 PM
The only wings that I knew the info on were Debenhams and Goldrush.These were designed by aircraft companies,and as you would expect they made all the usual claims of massive lift,but in practice the drivers never really used them to that extent,either because of the drag or the waves knocked em for six.A couple of cougar cats did have them and they did work because they were left on during their racing lives.
Debenhams and Goldrush are Shead boats,Power Marine is an Italian Power Marine design.

FLYING FISH
09-26-2009, 01:26 PM
Damn,the photo doesn`t show the wing.It fell off after the start!

I forgot about the Buzzi boats.

olli
09-26-2009, 01:38 PM
I forgot about the Buzzi boats.

Shame on you!:smash::)

Black Tornado
09-26-2009, 01:56 PM
Once Buzzi explained that the wings on some of his boat-as the Cesa 1882 - they served for reducing the rolling very accented that his mono suffered.

Black Tornado
09-26-2009, 02:48 PM
Although Marco and I have had a good go at tracing the history of these craft,there are still a few ones that have escaped the net.See attatchment.Same boat?

So far numbers logged as follows

38`s

Alitalia Uno (Picchiotti)
Alitalia Due (Picchiotti)
Alitalia Tre
Martini Racing (Picchiotti Design)
Ali Reza
Rothmans Ego
Trussardi
Ego Lamborghini
Muira
Nooxy

41`s

Chesterfield Missoni
Eberhard & Co
Annabella
Sun International
Paul Picot
Parfums Trussardi ? (As attachment)

Back to the darkroom with you Marco

Back from the darkroom where I have seen the lists and the photos again I have few to add to your list.
Martini Racing would not catalog it with the CUVs.
After the 1977 Picchiotti and CUV they separated and they became rival between them. Picchiotti built the 38' and the 35' from itself.
Muira read as Miura
Then 9 should be the 38'Shead built by CUV among the 1977-the two Alitalia and the 1987-Trussardi Parfums of Giovio.
A doubtful only on the true origins of the Trussardi Parfums of Giovio that could be also the Ouragan ex Alitalia Due-Ego Rothmans(I).
Does someone have some image of the back of the Trussardi?
Or he could be the Ali Reza, but this last I believe was the US-CUV Ittios / Bandit / Caliente.
Here they would be also pleasant images of the back of that US-CUV.
About the 41' five should be the built and I would perhaps remove the Parfums Trussardi-Jeans Unlimited of Damiano Spelta from the list because it maybe was the former Della Valle with the three babies Lambo.About the three pics attacched the answer is: yes,is the same boat I think.
However that CUVs are not rare as the Ferraris 250 GTO.

Black Tornado
09-26-2009, 03:08 PM
Just to ad some confusion I want to remind of GB Pedrini 38' and a winged red 38' Iranian Loom (looks like the white one but I think the wing was not so far aft). Have fun:bigear:!
Another pic for Dude:

Confusion but a little bit.
GB Pedrini for Maurizio Darai at the Venezia to Montecarlo in 1990 should be the ex Ego with the Marathons-the Dimensione Uomo of the pic- alias the winner of the CTC 2009.
The Iranian Looms I believe was always the same boat.
I have not found photo in my files by the moment .
Do you have of it?

olli
09-26-2009, 03:28 PM
No pic of Iranian Loom, unfortunately. I do have a video, will try to take a pic off the TV screen. However I am sure it is the same boat as in FF's post #109. It has the same hatches with those scoops.

Here is a pic of Trussardi:

PS Wasn't there a CUV at the '81 worlds Grey Energy?

Black Tornado
09-26-2009, 07:13 PM
What a fool that I am!
Iranian Loom is the second name of Pago Fruit!
Then ex Pedrini in pink with the mouth of shark, therefore perhaps ex Parfums Trussardi-Jeans Unlimited of Damiano Spelta.

Black Tornado
09-26-2009, 07:27 PM
No pic of Iranian Loom, unfortunately. I do have a video, will try to take a pic off the TV screen. However I am sure it is the same boat as in FF's post #109. It has the same hatches with those scoops.

Here is a pic of Trussardi:

PS Wasn't there a CUV at the '81 worlds Grey Energy?

No that posted by Graham in 109 is the Gruppo Dalle Carbonare - former the 41' with three Lambos of Della Valle and Missoni.

Yep! Cray Energy was the former Alitalia Uno.

Black Tornado
09-26-2009, 07:44 PM
In my post 116 and 117 in red are my errors.
Then right it is the list of Graham with six 41' built with probability.
GB Pedrini-Gruppo Dalle Carbonare doesn't have in common anything with that 38' of Della Valle CTC 2009 winner.

FLYING FISH
09-27-2009, 03:35 AM
Found some info in a corner of the darkroom re the Trussardi boats.Look at the date of construction.Now we know what the bow eye stamp was on Trussardi No88.
I hope you can read my CUV mono list (needs adjusting for latest confirmation of Trussardi No 88).Forget the different colours,that a secret code!
BTW is `Olli` Olli Tennant of snapper fame in the 80`s.

FLYING FISH
09-27-2009, 03:58 AM
Second attempt at posting list.

Black Tornado
09-27-2009, 10:15 AM
I see that also you have the yearbook 'Offshore 1988' and I believe that in your library it doesn't also miss the book of Mario Risi 'Questo č l' Offshore' where you can verify that the year of construction of the 38'Trussardi Parfums of Giovio was 1987.
As you know the technical data among the media they are always taut out as the numbers of the Loto.
However your list I believe is all right so with an only correction:
1982-No 534 - Caliente - A.Piras - wasn't a 38' but the Picchiotti 35'

Instead I am that I still have to correct me in comparison to thing I have written tonight:
GB Pedrini-Pago Iranian Loom is probably a 38' with the fourth place behind drawn by the little space that also the 38' they had between the cockpit and the engine room.
Then GB Pedrini-Pago Iranian Loom probably was the former 38' of Della Valle with the two Lambos.

However here I post a my list of CUV monos in PDF.

P.S. ....what the bow eye stamp was on Trussardi No88. ???

FLYING FISH
09-27-2009, 12:19 PM
Looking at your list Marco.one boat catches my eye,and that is Offshore Unlimited II.This was the boat that Patrick Caldenty sold to Tim Grimshaw to be renamed Cinzano for the 2008 season, a 38ft CUV,now owned by Markus Hendrick who won the CTC 2009.Offshore Unlimited I was his cobra (ex-Beep Beep).
The bow eye was mentioned in a previous post,stamped 3/86.

I hope the rest of the devotees on this thread are following all this,as there will be questions later!

olli
09-27-2009, 01:53 PM
Only a very poor pic:

littlenige
09-27-2009, 02:03 PM
I'm staying out of this one!! You boys are doing just fine.........

FLYING FISH
09-27-2009, 02:15 PM
In your Alitalia Due section Marco,the 1980/81 boats are Picchiotti own design surely.My CTC 1980 report states Smania used the old Dry Martini 2repainted Ciga Hotels,after the white painted ciga boat caught fire,whilst Niccolai used his new Picchiotti designed boat Martini Racing.Also my CTC 1981 report states Rombo was an ex-Alitalia boat which must have been Alitalia Tre,which went on to be the white Ciga Hotels that caught fire,but which was repaired.I think you confirmed this in a previous post.

FLYING FISH
09-27-2009, 02:26 PM
Just had another look at the CTC 1980 Ciga boat,and I must admit it looks more like the old Alitalia Uno (you did say it was once ,Marco).Why have the deck aft of the cockpit still in alloy colour when Dry Martini 2 then Ego was all white.

Black Tornado
09-27-2009, 04:13 PM
In your Alitalia Due section Marco,the 1980/81 boats are Picchiotti own design surely.My CTC 1980 report states Smania used the old Dry Martini 2repainted Ciga Hotels,after the white painted ciga boat caught fire,whilst Niccolai used his new Picchiotti designed boat Martini Racing.Also my CTC 1981 report states Rombo was an ex-Alitalia boat which must have been Alitalia Tre,which went on to be the white Ciga Hotels that caught fire,but which was repaired.I think you confirmed this in a previous post.

Your reports are correct partly and I have forgotten these details in my last list.
I remind me that we painted of white the sides of the old Alitalia Uno that she been sleeping among the dust for one year in the yard Firebird because the owner was from the 1979 Moreno Maestrelli that he didn't like race.
The reports are wrong as usual.
Instead 1981 Rombo was the 38' that it burned during the 1980 VBV and that after the my almost suicide on board it had its new but scarce attractive suit in the colors with that pink together with the blue one.

Black Tornado
09-27-2009, 04:34 PM
The simplest way to distinguish the Alitalias Uno and Three with the 38' from the Rombo in then it is to look at the windscreen: slightly convex for the first two and more sensitively concave for the others 38.' The Alitalia Two that then became Dry Martini 2 instead it clearly preserved the windscreen first type of the 1977 of dimensions redoubts.
Only after the lifting also wanted by Della Valle for KW 1981 this boat it assumed the characteristic windscreen of the aircraft carrier Hermes.
I think that to that time the Prince's Charles Sea-Harrier would have been able to take off from that CUVs 38.'

Black Tornado
09-27-2009, 04:55 PM
Only a very poor pic:

Good job Olli! You are right.
This image confirms that Iranian Loom probably was the former Delle Carbonare-Ego Pinot di Pinot.
And however we must add this winged version to the list ,Graham.

FLYING FISH
09-27-2009, 05:28 PM
Sure,I`ll add to the list,but what year did it race?
Do we now have a 38 and a 41ft raced by J.Carrain,the yellow one ex-GB Pedrini and the winged 41ft Dalle Carbonaire or was it pre Dalle Carbonaire?
More pills nurse!

Black Tornado
09-27-2009, 05:50 PM
I Think the 1990...
We wait Olli.

FLYING FISH
09-27-2009, 05:57 PM
Mystery solved.Just checked my 1992 Venice - Monte DVD and the winged Iranian Loom is on it driven by J,Carrain.For ref the 1991 Venice - Monte had both Pago Fruit Juice (Bisazza) and the winged Dalle Carbonaire (J.Carrain) in it.J.Carrain went on to use Pago Fruit Juice in Trieste Worlds in 1991.

Black Tornado
09-27-2009, 06:01 PM
Looking at your list Marco.one boat catches my eye,and that is Offshore Unlimited II.This was the boat that Patrick Caldenty sold to Tim Grimshaw to be renamed Cinzano for the 2008 season, a 38ft CUV,now owned by Markus Hendrick who won the CTC 2009.Offshore Unlimited I was his cobra (ex-Beep Beep).
The bow eye was mentioned in a previous post,stamped 3/86.

I hope the rest of the devotees on this thread are following all this,as there will be questions later!

About the Unlimited II I haven't info in my files and I had not associated yet that name to the 38' of Caldente but I now add it to the list and I have removed it from those 41.'
Speaking of the Cobra-Unlimited I also I had the strong suspicion that was one of the Beep Beeps of Halpern. But when I have looked for confirmation from Caldente he could not confirm it. Do you have some infos?

Black Tornado
09-27-2009, 06:10 PM
Mystery solved.Just checked my 1992 Venice - Monte DVD and the winged Iranian Loom is on it driven by J,Carrain.For ref the 1991 Venice - Monte had both Pago Fruit Juice (Bisazza) and the winged Dalle Carbonaire (J.Carrain) in it.J.Carrain went on to use Pago Fruit Juice in Trieste Worlds in 1991.

Then 1991 and 1992 are the years to put in the list.
Also I have that videos but I am lazy....:o

Black Tornado
09-27-2009, 06:34 PM
Just had another look at the CTC 1980 Ciga boat,and I must admit it looks more like the old Alitalia Uno (you did say it was once ,Marco).Why have the deck aft of the cockpit still in alloy colour when Dry Martini 2 then Ego was all white.

However before the 1980 CTC- in Sweden-Smania also raced with the old 38' of Niccolai in loan and without changing name and colors-Martini Racing.

Black Tornado
09-27-2009, 07:17 PM
The updated list waiting others corrections...

FLYING FISH
09-28-2009, 02:05 AM
Bit of a grim pic off the DVD.

Like you Marco,I have to go through my DVD`s to check all these oddball areas.

I have commented on the cobras a few days ago on OSO.Check it out.

FLYING FISH
09-28-2009, 02:19 AM
Shock,horror!

I have just been informed that the last CUV 38 built (Trussardi),without hardly any miles on the clock,was sold last year and has been converted into a cabin boat.Black armbands all round Marco!

FLYING FISH
09-28-2009, 06:57 AM
1.What Smania CUV boat sank never to be recovered?

2.In 1980 Swedish race, did Niccolai use the new Picchiotti designed boat to win,so Smania had the old picchiotti Dry Martini 2 for the race.

3.In 1981 did Niccolai use the old or new Dry Martini 2 boat for Costa Smeralda and VBV races.I didn`t realize the old Dry Martini 2 was used in 1980 & 81.I will amend my list.

4.Are you saying Missoni used his 87 damaged boat for 88 and not Della Valle`s boat?

5.I have logged that C.Fiorio drove the old Dry Martini 2 boat in the 1981 Swedish race.

olli
09-28-2009, 08:58 AM
i rarely see a picture of a cuv that's not flying!

:)

Dude! Sweet!
09-28-2009, 11:33 AM
I had a friend fly over to Paul Ricard to look at Caldente's CUV a couple of years ago. I have a disk at home with all the photos, I believe. There may be some pictures of the Cobra on that disk as well.

Here is a link to his personal web site as well with many photos of the CUV. http://web.mac.com/jpaikos/iWeb/Site/Boat.html

It semed to me, based on the color of the deck under the engine hatches that this boat may have been yellow at some point (and at the time I'd guessed maybe San Bennedetto from looking at the pictures).

Caliente/Bandit was in Western Canada two years ago. Owned by a gentleman named Lorne Andreas. I have his phone number around. The boat was in a hangar completely de-rigged. Loren was planning on converting it to an outboard powered fishing boat (although hopefully that was a sales tactic). I've wanted to call Loren for some time to follow up on the boat. He did offer to sell it to me, but I have no recollection as to the price, other than it seemed to make the cost of buying Patrick's boat and shipping it to the US seem like a more effective route when I took into account the efffort to re-rig, etc.

Dude! Sweet!
09-28-2009, 11:34 AM
And this discussion is spectacular! Thanks guys!

Black Tornado
09-28-2009, 05:59 PM
Shock,horror!

I have just been informed that the last CUV 38 built (Trussardi),without hardly any miles on the clock,was sold last year and has been converted into a cabin boat.Black armbands all round Marco!

Unfortunately often who has the money it finds the way to reach things to him totally extraneous and to change them to his image and similarity....

Black Tornado
09-28-2009, 06:42 PM
1.What Smania CUV boat sank never to be recovered?

2.In 1980 Swedish race, did Niccolai use the new Picchiotti designed boat to win,so Smania had the old picchiotti Dry Martini 2 for the race.

3.In 1981 did Niccolai use the old or new Dry Martini 2 boat for Costa Smeralda and VBV races.I didn`t realize the old Dry Martini 2 was used in 1980 & 81.I will amend my list.

4.Are you saying Missoni used his 87 damaged boat for 88 and not Della Valle`s boat?

5.I have logged that C.Fiorio drove the old Dry Martini 2 boat in the 1981 Swedish race.

1. The only 38' that Smania owned. The former Alitalia Tre.

2.Sorry but I still have to correct me: not in Sweden but it was in Venice that Smania rented the old 38' from Niccolai that that year was renamed Martini Racing as the new 38.'

3. I don't know if at Porto Cervo but at Viareggio Niccolai drove the small 35' with great disappointment of Stuteville because the rough sea.

4. No,Missoni drove sometimes the 38',sometimes the 41'(VBV)
both of Della Valle's Ego-Pinot di Pinot. I donėt have info of the crashed 41' of Missoni after Porto Cervo. Surely it was recovered.

5. No. Fiorio drove and won in Sweden with the 38' of the 1980. Niccolai in that time was already to explain to a judge where had gone the money that they missed from the bank Steinhauslin of Florence.
Della Valle it still drove at Oregrund with the Cig.36'.

Black Tornado
09-28-2009, 06:55 PM
:)

Enjoy!
No Photoshop any makeup.
Is the typical trim of the boats of the T-man Franco Statua.
To him - mio maestro - I devote this image.

Dude! Sweet!
09-28-2009, 08:18 PM
Enjoy!
No Photoshop any makeup.

I LOVE that photo! :26:

olli
09-29-2009, 01:57 AM
Enjoy!
No Photoshop any makeup.

One would think this is one of the Alitalias just because of the flight level!
Unbelievable:sifone:

FLYING FISH
09-29-2009, 05:55 AM
No 4 still has me confused.You say in 1988 Missoni drove the della valle 41ft,yet in your CUV list indicates he used the 1987 crashed 41ft.

The info you have come back with does conflict with crouse`s book,no change there then.

BTW I have heard Crouse is in a bad way,and this may have a bearing on his latest book being published.Sad if it is true.

That Miura pic is rather tasty,must have hit a cracking swell to do that.

FastDonzi
09-29-2009, 07:09 AM
Enjoy!
No Photoshop any makeup.

Thats my new back ground for a while.........

Black Tornado
09-29-2009, 05:01 PM
No 4 still has me confused.You say in 1988 Missoni drove the della valle 41ft,yet in your CUV list indicates he used the 1987 crashed 41ft.

The info you have come back with does conflict with crouse`s book,no change there then.

BTW I have heard Crouse is in a bad way,and this may have a bearing on his latest book being published.Sad if it is true.

That Miura pic is rather tasty,must have hit a cracking swell to do that.

I hope that Crouse can recover as soon as possible even if at his age all becomes more difficulty.
I wait with interest his new book that surely it will place side by side the first one in my library.

My list was your list of the CUVs mono to which I have brought the discovered changes thin to now. But I have forgotten to cancel and to modify the data of the Chesterfield-Missonis.
Missonis with Colarieti had the first CUV 41' in 1986 and in 1987 up to Porto Cervo. Then they alternated the guide of the two boats of Della Valle,the old 38' and the new 41' with the three engines.
In the 1988 Missoni raced with an Abbate Primatist of 41.'

Black Tornado
09-29-2009, 07:00 PM
Still an updated list.I believe it won't be the last.
In blue the last changes to help in the search.
I have removed the row of the Chesterfield 41' for 1988, because it was an Abbate 41.'
To notice that in 1986 the Chesterfield 41' it didn't have three motors as was written in the preceding list but as it shows in my photo at the VBV of the 1986.

Black Tornado
09-29-2009, 07:06 PM

Here the boat at Viareggio in october 1984 during the Worlds.

Dude! Sweet!
09-30-2009, 01:30 PM
Anyone have any pictures of the "full pleasure" rebuild on Trussardi 88?

sterling
09-30-2009, 04:04 PM
The # 88 is here in Europe ,in the Netherlands ,the people who bought the boat have converted the propulsion to a twin jet drive with turbodiesels ,so Ive been told ,they use the boat like some sort rescue/pilot vessel .
I was trying to find pics yesterday ,but didn,t found any.
The pics Olli took were in the Netherlands too ,same place were the boat has been sitting for several years on its crate,we bought the BPM engines ,and a friend of me bought the # 3 drives and K planes and steering.

Hate to tell this ,but back in 2001 when we bought the engines ,we never looked at that boat ,we were simply not intrested in Alu boats ,we were busy with glasfiber pleasure V hulls and Cats,we do however looked at the bottem and found this very sharp straith edge like sprayrails to be a masterpiece of workmanship,and when we looked inside the hull we started to get dizzy about the amount of reinforcement ribs that were made.
The owner of the boat had a small marina ,and told us if we didn,t want the boat ,he would probably sell it for scrap metal price ...he just wanted to get rid of that boat , still it didn,t rang any bells back then,like I said we were just not intrested,not even for like $ 2000-2500 or so ...we could have drove away with that boat for that money.
I have a pic from one of its engines that we are converting to EFI technology instead of K jetronic ,the other pic is from Black tornado and shows how the engines looked when they were in the # 88

olli
12-17-2012, 08:42 AM
[QUOTE=Dude! Sweet!;327327].../Bandit was in Western Canada two years ago...

Finally I have found a pic of that one:

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff120/oli5400/bandit001.jpg

Ratickle
12-18-2012, 06:10 AM
Nice!!!!! They are sure amazing big water boats!

FLYING FISH
12-18-2012, 06:12 AM
[QUOTE=Dude! Sweet!;327327].../Bandit was in Western Canada two years ago...

Finally I have found a pic of that one:

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff120/oli5400/bandit001.jpg

Hello Olli,

Are you saying that the boat was in `Bandit` colours 2 yrs ago.This would cause some confusion to my/Marco`s records where we have the boat as being originally Ali Reza,then Ittios.Inc,Bandit,Harley Davidson,Caliente and finally Bud Dry.
One of the few CUV monos that ended up in the U.S. and is difficult to track it`s history,being as it did not appear to be a regular competitor.

N.Antonelli/J.Antonelli had Bandit,one of the few times it did appear on a regular basis.

olli
12-18-2012, 12:37 PM
No, the pic is from '87.

Ratickle
12-19-2012, 06:02 AM
How many CUV's are there?

FLYING FISH
12-19-2012, 05:07 PM
How many CUV's are there?

Heavy outlines indicate one boat.

10 off CUV inc Pichiotti built 38ft

6 off CUV built 41 ft

The original boats (Alitalia sponsored) were Pichiotti built,but politically CUV were involved,Marco has his finger on the button re the politics.

olli
12-19-2012, 06:30 PM
Good job FF!! Here is probably one addition to your list, Nooxy 1983:

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff120/oli5400/nooxy2.jpg

FLYING FISH
12-20-2012, 03:09 AM
Good job FF!! Here is probably one addition to your list, Nooxy 1983:

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff120/oli5400/nooxy2.jpg

Well done Olli.You`ll have Marco on your tail.He has never referred that version to me!

olli
12-20-2012, 05:49 AM
Speaking of BT, he once explained the roots of this "CUV" 25':
Class I & II (By Name) / STUDIO SMANIA (1979).jpg (http://www.powerboatarchive.co.uk/PAPicArchive/GS/PowerboatsI-IIQ-S/pages/STUDIO%20SMANIA%20(1979)_jpg.htm)

Is this the same boat?:
Offshore I & II Pits / LA CORNACHIETTA (1984).jpg (http://www.powerboatarchive.co.uk/PAPicArchive/GS/NRPowerboatsI-IIL-Z/pages/LA%20CORNACHIETTA%20(1984)_jpg.htm)

FLYING FISH
12-20-2012, 03:28 PM
Class I & II (By Name) / STUDIO SMANIA (1979).jpg (http://www.powerboatarchive.co.uk/PAPicArchive/GS/PowerboatsI-IIQ-S/pages/STUDIO%20SMANIA%20(1979)_jpg.htm)

Is this the same boat?:
Offshore I & II Pits / LA CORNACHIETTA (1984).jpg (http://www.powerboatarchive.co.uk/PAPicArchive/GS/NRPowerboatsI-IIL-Z/pages/LA%20CORNACHIETTA%20(1984)_jpg.htm)

Don`t know about a CUV 25,but Studio Smania was built by Ambrosini and designed by Gagliotta and was 25ft. 1 x mercruiser = 600hp

La Cornachietta was built by Gagliotta and designed by Gagliotta and was 28ft. 2 x Volvo = 600hp

Having said all that,they do look the same,so it makes you wonder about the reliability of entry data,and not for the first time.

BT is submerged somewhere in the med,but no doubt will surface in time for Xmas to reveal all.

Bobcat
12-20-2012, 05:56 PM

Is this the same boat?:

Those are really neat pics !

olli
12-20-2012, 07:06 PM
Don`t know about a CUV 25,but Studio Smania was built by Ambrosini and designed by Gagliotta and was 25ft. 1 x mercruiser = 600hp

La Cornachietta was built by Gagliotta and designed by Gagliotta and was 28ft. 2 x Volvo = 600hp

Having said all that,they do look the same,so it makes you wonder about the reliability of entry data,and not for the first time.

BT is submerged somewhere in the med,but no doubt will surface in time for Xmas to reveal all.

Found BT's old post:
"it is not a CUV but originally it was built by the SIAI-Ambrosini - a brand specialized in the constructions in light alloy of the aeronautic branch of SIAI-Marchetti were builders of the most famous Italian bombers of the second world war.
The boat that I believe was a 28' designed by Gagliotta named Freccia D'Argento and compete in the first years of seventy with Nicola Chiatante and others drivers. Best info can be had perhaps in the precious file Race Results of Flyin Fish on Boatmad-Multimedia.
Then that boat remained to receive dust for several years when the Commander Petroni discover it and then was modified radically by CUV- was totally stripped then leaving only the frames and receiving a new deck (with a typical CUV windscreen)sides and hull with three running strakes instead of original two.
It was the first offshore boat for Alberto Smania in 1979 as La Smania and then for the others venetians brothers Vio as La Cornacchietta.
It was a single engine(MerCruiser) boat with stern drive.
Perhaps in the intents of the CUV there was the idea to give succession to this boat with others to compete in class 2 but there was not any new orders and that remained the only sample.
The cats had taken the upper hand."

Those are really neat pics !

Flying Fish's website is beyond neat. But beware! You can spend a loooooot of time there.

FLYING FISH
12-21-2012, 05:21 AM
Found BT's old post:
"it is not a CUV but originally it was built by the SIAI-Ambrosini - a brand specialized in the constructions in light alloy of the aeronautic branch of SIAI-Marchetti were builders of the most famous Italian bombers of the second world war.
The boat that I believe was a 28' designed by Gagliotta named Freccia D'Argento and compete in the first years of seventy with Nicola Chiatante and others drivers. Best info can be had perhaps in the precious file Race Results of Flyin Fish on Boatmad-Multimedia.
Then that boat remained to receive dust for several years when the Commander Petroni discover it and then was modified radically by CUV- was totally stripped then leaving only the frames and receiving a new deck (with a typical CUV windscreen)sides and hull with three running strakes instead of original two.
It was the first offshore boat for Alberto Smania in 1979 as La Smania and then for the others venetians brothers Vio as La Cornacchietta.
It was a single engine(MerCruiser) boat with stern drive.
Perhaps in the intents of the CUV there was the idea to give succession to this boat with others to compete in class 2 but there was not any new orders and that remained the only sample.
The cats had taken the upper hand."

Flying Fish's website is beyond neat. But beware! You can spend a loooooot of time there.

Trawling through the archives again,Olli,I came across a paragragh in the pre 1984 Round Britain report stating that `La Cornacchietta`was in fact ex-Studio Smania,but just to confuse things,it states it was 29ft,3 not 2 Volvos and built by Griggo,yet 1979 reports state it was a 25ft built by Ambrosini,but the designer in both cases was Gagliotta.

Freccia D`Argento I thought maybe was a sister to Volpe D`Argento (designed by Petroni),but I can`t prove it.No pic available,but I tend to trust Marco`s findings more so.

And they wonder why we go crackers trying to compile offshore history!

Ben
12-21-2012, 05:42 PM
Has the same race number as Cinzano. Is there a Della Valle connection?

FLYING FISH
12-22-2012, 05:41 AM
Has the same race number as Cinzano. Is there a Della Valle connection?

Certainly is Ben.

If you follow the list in post 163,you can see della valle raced Rothmans Ego in 1983,a new boat,which in time became the present Cinzano.His other boat,the ex-Alitalia Due had been sold by 1983.So that boat is now approaching 30yrs old,and I bet if you added all the mileage up it would nigh on come to half way round the world.Tin Sheads never die,they just get cut up for scrap,eventually!

Attached is the original G.A. of the first CUV type,which was supposed to have the wrap around windscreen,until the Italians decided to dispense with it.
I would think Hendricks crew would have wished for the original,as opposed to ending up like zombies after a race.

olli
12-22-2012, 04:04 PM
...Attached is the original G.A. of the first CUV type,which was supposed to have the wrap around windscreen,until the Italians decided to dispense with it...

Does not look that bad but I prefer the way they built them especially those by Picchiotti.

Btw, I thought the 558 is Rossi's number :huh:

Another one:

FLYING FISH
12-22-2012, 06:09 PM
Does not look that bad but I prefer the way they built them especially those by Picchiotti.

Btw, I thought the 558 is Rossi's number :huh:

Another one:

Della Valle always carried 558,even when he raced Buzzi monos in Venice-Monte Marathons.Rossi even had No18 when he was the main man in Zoom on the London - Monte in 1972.

BTW Richie Powers commented he was rather envious of the Unowot style of windshield,as opposed to his ride in the open cockpit of Dry Martini.

Ben
12-23-2012, 02:32 PM
If you follow the list in post 163,you can see della valle raced Rothmans Ego in 1983,a new boat,which in time became the present Cinzano.

Thanks Graham. I looked at your list before I posted but missed the connection. So much for my detective work.

chewiekw
01-01-2013, 06:07 PM
Great history. Does anyone have picture of the engines on Della Valle 41 CUV? My friend does not believe you can fit 3 lambo's in a 41 foot boat. Also when did Della Valle retire looks like he did not race a full season in 1987?

FLYING FISH
01-02-2013, 04:10 PM
Great history. Does anyone have picture of the engines on Della Valle 41 CUV? My friend does not believe you can fit 3 lambo's in a 41 foot boat. Also when did Della Valle retire looks like he did not race a full season in 1987?

The attached pic can be difficult to establish 3 engines,but there are enough pipes to play a wedding march with coming out the arse end.

Pic taken at Cowes 1986.

Della Valle did a full season in 1987,but the wife told him to pack it in.Obviously he charmed his way out of it ,because he was back racing a Buzzi mono in the early 90`s Venice - Monte races.

At some stage his CUV 41 was used by Missoni, who conveniently stuck his CUV 41 on the rocks,and when you have several CUV`s to hand as Della Valle did,you lend one to a mate,as you do.I would need to delve into the archives to drag out the rock hitting caper.

FLYING FISH
01-02-2013, 05:19 PM
The attached pic can be difficult to establish 3 engines,but there are enough pipes to play a wedding march with coming out the arse end.

Pic taken at Cowes 1986.

Della Valle did a full season in 1987,but the wife told him to pack it in.Obviously he charmed his way out of it ,because he was back racing a Buzzi mono in the early 90`s Venice - Monte races.

At some stage his CUV 41 was used by Missoni, who conveniently stuck his CUV 41 on the rocks,and when you have several CUV`s to hand as Della Valle did,you lend one to a mate,as you do.I would need to delve into the archives to drag out the rock hitting caper.

Sorry,I posted the CUV 38 2 lambo job which also raced in 1986.Here is the 3 lambo job.

Bobcat
01-02-2013, 05:52 PM
So each Lambo motor had 4 exhaust pipes coming out?

chewiekw
01-02-2013, 08:46 PM

Pic taken at Cowes 1986.

Flying fish I found the pic last night off your website powerboat archive.com. Quick question why are the exhaust pipes all curved on the back of the 38 instead of coming straight out?

FLYING FISH
01-02-2013, 11:16 PM
So each Lambo motor had 4 exhaust pipes coming out?

See attached pic.

FLYING FISH
01-02-2013, 11:21 PM
Flying fish I found the pic last night off your website powerboat archive.com. Quick question why are the exhaust pipes all curved on the back of the 38 instead of coming straight out?

It looks like they tried to balance up equal lengths of pipes for both forward and aft engines,presumably so any backpressure was the same for both engines.

Bobcat
01-03-2013, 09:08 AM
Thanks for the pic. Elegant motors.

old377guy
01-03-2013, 12:54 PM
that is indeed a beautiful engine and my, what a lot of pipes!

Ratickle
01-04-2013, 06:13 AM
What was/is the advantage of the Lambo engines for boats? Compared to how many cars they build, there sure were quite a few in boats.....

FLYING FISH
01-04-2013, 01:02 PM
What was/is the advantage of the Lambo engines for boats? Compared to how many cars they build, there sure were quite a few in boats.....

I suppose one should get a definitive answer from the guys who decided to use them,but I tend to think,when the lambos appeared it was at a time when the OP1 fleets in Europe were 30+ on a regular basis,mainly Italian,so to have Italian engines in Italian built boats were a good patriotic thing to achieve,rather like Jaguar engines in British boats,except that fell flat.Trick was,to find an engine as reliable as the Mercruiser,which takes some doing for smaller nations.Mind you, diesels were another story re Isottas and Seateks,but they don`t have the wow factor in the U.S.Always quite amusing to see Buzzi wind the yanks up on this,and then go out and beat em!

Cookee
01-04-2013, 01:27 PM

They made a specific marinised version of one of their big gas engines, diesels were relatively unrefined in those days and the big Class One boats needed big horsepower - In addition Class One was very well supported in Italy in those days with powerboat racing probably biggest in that country for this side of the Atlantic (and still is).